Resident Evil UC for Wii: pre-rendered backdrops?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

I don't know if anyone else has considered this possibility yet, but from everything we've seen and heard about Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles for Wii, I'm starting to think that the game may have pre-rendered backdrops. I mean, if you look at the screens that take place in the mansion, they have almost no loss at all when you compare them to REmake on GC, which in realtime would be impossible due to the Wii's hardware limitations. Also, the game is going to take place on a fixed path and have lightgun shooting ala House of the Dead or Time Crisis, so that really would beg the question of "Why would it need realtime backgrounds anyway?"

Basically, I'm expecting that with REUC, you'll be pointing your Wiimote at realtime Zombies who are walking around on a pre-rendered background, like in the old RE games. Then, when you've cleared the room, the background becomes animated and you move to the next area, not unlike in the Myst games.

Ultimate_Peon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ultimate_Peon
Member since 2003 • 587 Posts
Pretty sure it's already been said that it's done with polygons and not pre-rendered backgrounds.
MasterChumly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MasterChumly
Member since 2003 • 1239 Posts

I don't know if anyone else has considered this possibility yet, but from everything we've seen and heard about Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles for Wii, I'm starting to think that the game may have pre-rendered backdrops. I mean, if you look at the screens that take place in the mansion, they have almost no loss at all when you compare them to REmake on GC, which in realtime would be impossible due to the Wii's hardware limitations. Also, the game is going to take place on a fixed path and have lightgun shooting ala House of the Dead or Time Crisis, so that really would beg the question of "Why would it need realtime backgrounds anyway?"

Basically, I'm expecting that with REUC, you'll be pointing your Wiimote at realtime Zombies who are walking around on a pre-rendered background, like in the old RE games. Then, when you've cleared the room, the background becomes animated and you move to the next area, not unlike in the Myst games.

Timstuff

Actually its all ready 100% confirmed its fully polygonal with no pre-rendered backdrops.

Blue-Berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blue-Berry
Member since 2006 • 145 Posts
There are pictures? If so, were...WERE!
Ultimate_Peon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ultimate_Peon
Member since 2003 • 587 Posts
There are pictures? If so, were...WERE!Blue-Berry
Right here. Really though, I don't think anyone here is really qualified to say what is or what is not possible on the Wii outside of the absolute obvious (i.e. 360/PS3 level stuff)
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]

MasterChumly

Actually its all ready 100% confirmed its realtime.

Well thank god its confirmed. I really never like listen to this guy ramble about things anyways. Especially things he's not even interested in. 

MasterChumly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MasterChumly
[QUOTE="MasterChumly"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]

Blackbond

Well thank god its confirmed. I really never like listen to this guy ramble about things anyways. Especially things he's not even interested in. 

Heres a link

The famitsu interview link is on neogaf somewhere but i cant find it :?

Actually he also made a really dumb comment about it being like house of the dead and time crisis because its not.  You will be able to look around the room and choose paths to take.   I heard its something like Killer 7?  Although I never played that game.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
There are pictures? If so, were...WERE!Blue-Berry
Werewolf?
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
[QUOTE="Blue-Berry"]There are pictures? If so, were...WERE!Boba_Fett_3710

Werewolf?

Wherefore hast thou gone? >_>
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Games with prerendered backgrounds are awesome. It only works with certain game types but I love it. Makes the games look beautiful.

Onimusha 2 was one of my favourites.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
I don't know if it is or isnt, but that never stopped me from enjoying FF VII-IX, all RE games, Omnimusha, and so many more games...
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Boba_Fett_3710
Games with prerendered backgrounds are awesome. It only works with certain game types but I love it. Makes the games look beautiful.

Onimusha 2 was one of my favourites.foxhound_fox
Baten Kaitos pulled it off very well, also. I for one am glad REUC is differentiating itself from other RE games, it will be a good game.
MasterChumly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MasterChumly

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Games with prerendered backgrounds are awesome. It only works with certain game types but I love it. Makes the games look beautiful.

Onimusha 2 was one of my favourites.Boba_Fett_3710

Baten Kaitos pulled it off very well, also.

I for one am glad REUC is differentiating itself from other RE games, it will be a good game.

It is 100% confirmed it is NOT prerendered backgrounds.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Timstuff
[QUOTE="MasterChumly"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]

Blackbond

LOL I haven't cared about anything you say ever since I owned you with the whole Sixaxis thread. Anyway, I think that maybe the screenshots are just too small to tell wether it's pre-rendered or realtime. Shrunken down I'm sure they look a lot closer to REmake's backgrounds, but full-sized I'd imagine something closer to Resident Evil 4. We won't know for sure until quality screenshots appear, but I'm pretty sure that REmakes backgrounds would be impossible in realtime even on PS3 and Xbox 360. Most likely, we're going to be seeing a lot of pre-rendered lighting effects like what they did for the PS2 and GC versions of Splinter Cell, and in some areas of Resident Evil 4-- that is, the shadow effects are part of the textures themselves, rather than being generated on the spot by software.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="MasterChumly"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]

MasterChumly

Heres a link

The famitsu interview link is on neogaf somewhere but i cant find it :?

Actually he also made a really dumb comment about it being like house of the dead and time crisis because its not.  You will be able to look around the room and choose paths to take.   I heard its something like Killer 7?  Although I never played that game.

Interesting. Capcom making a change, like they did with RE4, is a good direction. Making a game too formulaic can really taint the franchise a bit. Making it stale.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

Its confirmed to be polygonal. http://gonintendo.com/?p=15732

I hope they use a Killer 7-esque method of control for this game, it would be pretty dull if it were like House of the Dead or Time Crisis

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Boba_Fett_3710

Its confirmed to be polygonal.

I hope they use a Killer 7-esque method of control for this game, it would be pretty dull if it were like House of the Dead or Time Crisis

bc1391
I'm a big Killer7 fan also, I doubt it Will control like Killer7 though. It will most likely be like Time Crisis and the like. I like those kinds of games so I really don't mind (the only one I really didn't like was Area-51 because it was too easy).
MasterChumly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MasterChumly
[QUOTE="bc1391"]

Boba_Fett_3710

I'm a big Killer7 fan also, I doubt it Will control like Killer7 though.

It will most likely be like Time Crisis and the like. I like those kinds of games so I really don't mind (the only one I really didn't like was Area-51 because it was too easy).

O....M......G read my posts!  Neogaf said the game was supposed to be like Killer7 (Never played it so i dont know what its like).  This game is NOT going to be like Time Crisis or house of the dead.  You have control of the camera (something like that)  and you can choose paths and theres QTE's.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts
[QUOTE="bc1391"]

Boba_Fett_3710

It will most likely be like Time Crisis and the like. I like those kinds of games so I really don't mind (the only one I really didn't like was Area-51 because it was too easy).

I don't mind games like Time Crisis and HotD, but RE is more than just shooting zombies, it also has a big exploration/puzzle factor. Making the entire game on rails kills it for me but with a system similar to Killer 7 that whole exploration and puzzle factor will still be there.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Timstuff
IMO they should have gone the RE4 route with the gameplay, instead of doing Killer 7 / Time Crisis gameplay and an RE4 port. Oh well, I'm probably not going to play it anyway unless I get a Wii.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="MasterChumly"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]

Timstuff

LOL I haven't cared about anything you say ever since I owned you with the whole Sixaxis thread.

Anyway, I think that maybe the screenshots are just too small to tell wether it's pre-rendered or realtime. Shrunken down I'm sure they look a lot closer to REmake's backgrounds,
but full-sized I'd imagine something closer to Resident Evil 4. We won't know for sure until quality screenshots appear, but I'm pretty sure that REmakes backgrounds would be impossible in realtime even on PS3 and Xbox 360. Most likely, we're going to be seeing a lot of pre-rendered lighting effects like what they did for the PS2 and GC versions of Splinter Cell, and in some areas of Resident Evil 4-- that is, the shadow effects are part of the textures themselves, rather than being generated on the spot by software.

Please Shut up and stop self owning yourself

kingsy_the_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kingsy_the_one
Member since 2003 • 4354 Posts

Timstuff
Full 3D [Source]
Japanese_Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Japanese_Monk
Member since 2006 • 1412 Posts
Timstuff please shut it. Your owning yourself on such a pointless topic. You didn't even do research on the Game for goodness sakes. If your going to talk bad about a game at least research it first. Geez. This is sad.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blackbond
Well I think the pre-rendered background discussion is over.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blackbond

Timstuff please shut it. Your owning yourself on such a pointless topic. You didn't even do research on the Game for goodness sakes. If your going to talk bad about a game at least research it first. Geez. This is sad.Japanese_Monk

Well its Timstuff what do you expect. This is the guy that's been saying the Wii will stop selling in a month each month since the Wii has been out :roll: 

kingsy_the_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kingsy_the_one
Member since 2003 • 4354 Posts

[QUOTE="Japanese_Monk"]Timstuff please shut it. Your owning yourself on such a pointless topic. You didn't even do research on the Game for goodness sakes. If your going to talk bad about a game at least research it first. Geez. This is sad.Blackbond

Well its Timstuff what do you expect. This is the guy that's been saying the Wii will stop selling in a month each month since the Wii has been out :roll: 

:lol: Well, he's gotta get there eventually.. Might take quite a while though...
MasterChumly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MasterChumly

[QUOTE="Japanese_Monk"]Timstuff please shut it. Your owning yourself on such a pointless topic. You didn't even do research on the Game for goodness sakes. If your going to talk bad about a game at least research it first. Geez. This is sad.Blackbond

Uh you missed it he already said that tonight (about half way down)

Anyways since you would care blackbond....The game is NOT supposed to be like house of the dead / Time Crisis more simlar to Killer 7 (never played it so i dont know what that means).  You will be able to control the camera (or look around or something in rooms somewhat) there will be different paths to choose from along with QTE's

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"][QUOTE="bc1391"]

MasterChumly

O....M......G read my posts!  Neogaf said the game was supposed to be like Killer7 (Never played it so i dont know what its like).  This game is NOT going to be like Time Crisis or house of the dead.  You have control of the camera (something like that)  and you can choose paths and theres QTE's.

Its an On rails thing. you can move your character forward or backward on rails but yu cant see anything while youre movie you have to stop to see enemies and shot. its a little akward at first (at least it was for me) but you get used to it. I felt it gave the game a very movie like feel.