Remedy's message to Alan Wake PC pirates: Enjoy the Story!

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

"You can't fight it, really," he said. "It's just the way it is. Of course I hope people go on Steam or get the retail copy. But if they don't, they don't. I'm not going to get a stomach ulcer from it. It's just the way it is."

Read moar right here.

Wish more devs had this mindset...*cough* Ubisoft.

What say you SW?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52448 Posts

At least they're not b!tching about them.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
wow...that is a completely different mindset compared to ubisoft's
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
Pirates troubling PC developers? Some thing never change
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I applaud them; instead of crying and complaining "Oh, pirates ruined our sales", they just say the truth.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Had the 360 version and bought it on Steam earlier today. Great game and i cant wait to play it again.

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

I did my part and bought it. I don't care what haters say about Alan Wake, I loved it and Remedy has my support.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

Shockingly enough. Most PC gamers buy their games. I'm just saying. Piracy is no where near as big of an issue for developers and publishers as the used game trade.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

Man I'm really on the edge about this game. I played the 360 edition and loved it, and can get the game for $20 off gmg right now. The thing is, I don't really need any new games right now, but when devs say stuff like this, I want to support them. What do????????

Ryouga001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ryouga001
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts
This is probably their attempt at a deterrent. They're hoping to inspire guilt trips and/or get brownie points. Charming the snakes basically.
AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AiurProtoss
Member since 2010 • 1080 Posts

Shockingly enough. Most PC gamers buy their games. I'm just saying. Piracy is no where near as big of an issue for developers and publishers as the used game trade.

vtoshkatur

THis again really? Last time I checked used games weren't part of the PC market and even if they were the used copy a consumer would be buying was already bought and paid for by the previous consumer, so the dev and publisher already got their money for that disc, copy, etc. Saying used games hurt the game industry is like saying by letting my friend borrow my book, or lending a cup of sugar to somebody is "ruining those respective industries" is just plain stupid. Piracy is a problem because the dev and publisher don't get any revenue from it, whereas the used games market, people by copies that come from original sales. Publishers just wan't to control that market and wan't to squeeze ever last ounce of revenue out every game, and soon they will realise that used games aren't the problem, its them. Does the library hurt the book and printing industry?? **** no, you know why? Becasue those books were originally purchased by the goverment/library/ or purchased by consumers for donations. People are ****ing stupid and love to bend over for gay time for these companies.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

that way of thinking just got them +1 sell on steam xD

i was actually gonna check the game anyway

Rhys2SkilleD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rhys2SkilleD
Member since 2012 • 149 Posts

nice.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
Got the 360 version on day 1, and I got the PC version on Day 1. It's easily my favorite game of this gen.
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
Translation: "We forgot to hire any security programmers :cry:"
Vambran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vambran
Member since 2005 • 1921 Posts

Yes that's the solution. Spend millions of dollars making games, then give them away for free to pirates. that will show them who's boss.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#18 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Not surprising Remedy wouldn't take precautions considering how rampant piracy is on PC.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
Why do we never hear devs complaining about piracy on the 360? its like its some dirty little secret no one wants to talk about. If I go to a public tracker, 360 games are in the top 10. Piracy is a huge problem, yet PC always gets the blame for it. Why is this?
Vambran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vambran
Member since 2005 • 1921 Posts

Why do we never hear devs complaining about piracy on the 360? its like its some dirty little secret no one wants to talk about. If I go to a public tracker, 360 games are in the top 10. Piracy is a huge problem, yet PC always gets the blame for it. Why is this? BibiMaghoo

PC piracy > Console Piracy. It's just that simple.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

They can either cry about it and make legitimate consumers rip their hair out from added security, or shrug it off and accept the fact that these people may never have had any interest in buying it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lundy86_4

Yes that's the solution. Spend millions of dollars making games, then give them away for free to pirates. that will show them who's boss.

Vambran

They're not giving it away for free. They're simply not making it a hassle for legitimate consumers and are accepting the fact that, by and large, excessive DRM doesn't remain very effective for long.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts

[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]Why do we never hear devs complaining about piracy on the 360? its like its some dirty little secret no one wants to talk about. If I go to a public tracker, 360 games are in the top 10. Piracy is a huge problem, yet PC always gets the blame for it. Why is this? Vambran

PC piracy > Console Piracy. It's just that simple.

360 games are downloaded in the millions. Developers never mention it. Something is amis here.

It will be worse on PC, purely because its easier to do, but jesus, how about laying off the PC users and hitting the console pirates instead.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

"You can't fight it, really," he said. "It's just the way it is. Of course I hope people go on Steam or get the retail copy. But if they don't, they don't. I'm not going to get a stomach ulcer from it. It's just the way it is."

Read moar right here.

Wish more devs had this mindset...*cough* Ubisoft.

What say you SW?

Add one Steam download.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Man I'm really on the edge about this game. I played the 360 edition and loved it, and can get the game for $20 off gmg right now. The thing is, I don't really need any new games right now, but when devs say stuff like this, I want to support them. What do????????

Da_lil_PimP
Buy 12
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#26 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I don't know... if they're able to play Alan Wake for free, what makes Remedy think they'll pay for future titles, regardless of the quality? Pirates pirate because they don't want to spend their money... :?
brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 brofists
Member since 2011 • 2120 Posts
Its funny how Hermits bashed Alan Wake in the past , but now that the game is out on PC, most hermits changed their tune and are now praising it blindly. Such a fake flip-floppy crowd those hermits are. Just LOL @ the hermits sucking Remedy's d*ck over those comments, then trolling out of jubilation with "omg Alan Wake is the most greatest game evers!!1" It really seems like PC gamers are quick to blow anybody that says anything positive about PC gaming. But guess what, Remedy knows that, and I guarantee you that that was their typical PR fluff statement. I bet you their attitude is much different behind closed doors. They're only telling PC gamers what they want to hear. As for my thoughts about Alan Wake: Its one of the most disappointed and mediocre games I played of 2010. The gameplay was boring and repetitive, And the story was a nonsensical poorly executed mess. I don't care what the fanboys say- a mediocre game like Alan Wake is a mediocre game. That's as simple as you can put it. And it deserves every ounce of criticism that it gets. Alan Wake is what it means to be a lackluster and mediocre game
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Pirates are like herpes. You can try to treat the problem but in the end they'll still always be there... And they're also both annoying as hell.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lundy86_4

Its funny how Hermits bashed Alan Wake in the past , but now that the game is out on PC, most hermits are blindly praising it now. Such a fake flip-floppy crowd those hermits are.

brofists

Is it the same Hermits? Or are you simply assuming that all Hermits stated the same things?

brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 brofists
LOL @ remedy telling people to enjoy the story. What story? You mean that poorly executed and nonsensical story in Alan Wake? No thank you Remedy, I rather not experience that awful story, and the boring gameplay that proceeded it
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I will be picking this game up on Steam when I catch it on sale for $5.
dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
Meh, im planning ob buying this game in the near future. Though I reckon the PC version would have bettertv sales if this game was on the PC at launch, after all thats were most of Remedys fanbase was.
brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 brofists

[QUOTE="brofists"]Its funny how Hermits bashed Alan Wake in the past , but now that the game is out on PC, most hermits are blindly praising it now. Such a fake flip-floppy crowd those hermits are.

lundy86_4

Is it the same Hermits? Or are you simply assuming that all Hermits stated the same things?

No, you're right. I'm generalizing a whole group. That's not cool, BUT I've seen several of the same hermits do it. From old threads vs now in recent threads I'm speaking about what I've seen. Only my experiences. I should change my wording
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I don't know... if they're able to play Alan Wake for free, what makes Remedy think they'll pay for future titles, regardless of the quality? Pirates pirate because they don't want to spend their money... :?JustPlainLucas
Why worry about a dollar you weren't going to get in the first place? One of the biggest problems in the entertainment business is the ridiculous assumption that they need to get ALL of the money. It isn't realistic and they are only wasting money and resources.We live in a digital world and there is no DRM that can't be circumvented.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Well, I wish them luck. I own it on 360 already, long when it came out, so they got my money from that. I did enjoy the game a lot though, so I wouldn't mind more games from them. :)
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

Better than them tacking on some super restrictive DRM, which would only serve to deter people who were planning on buying the game from doing so.

Pirates gonna pirate, no matter what. At least Remedy is accepting that fact and not punishing the paying customers for it.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#38 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Vambran
or you could just embark on a mindless crusade that will end up hurting the legit buyers only.
brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 brofists
Having said all that, if this Remedy guy truly is genuine in what he says, then that's a good thing, and I love that attitude! And I'll support him. My problem is if he's genuine or not. I hope he is genuine. Let's see . Remember, Remedy , ACTIONS speak louder then words. Cutt the PR fluff, and jusy SHOW us !
brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 brofists
[QUOTE="brofists"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="brofists"]Its funny how Hermits bashed Alan Wake in the past , but now that the game is out on PC, most hermits are blindly praising it now. Such a fake flip-floppy crowd those hermits are.

[deleted]

No, you're right. I'm generalizing a whole group. That's not cool, BUT I've seen several of the same hermits do it. From old threads vs now in recent threads I'm speaking about what I've seen. Only my experiences. I should change my wording

Consolites have done the same thing with Witcher 2.

lol true
Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts

vtoshkatur
yea that's bull, I know plenty of pc gamers that just pirate everything they want.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
[QUOTE="brofists"] As for my thoughts about Alan Wake: Its one of the most disappointed and mediocre games I played of 2010. The gameplay was boring and repetitive, And the story was a nonsensical poorly executed mess. I don't care what the fanboys say- a mediocre game like Alan Wake is a mediocre game. That's as simple as you can put it. And it deserves every ounce of criticism that it gets. Alan Wake is what it means to be a lackluster and mediocre game

I love how you start with an acceptable statement describing your thoughts, but then go on and imply that you dismiss others opinions blindly. Alan Wake in my opinion was a fantastic title - combining solid mechanics with an enthralling episodic narrative. You're entitled to your opinion, but don't use the term fanboy in a derogatory fashion to simply push your own agenda. OT: And good for Remedy - Piracy is a real problem, but at least those legit players don't have to suffer. One of my favourite developers and I'll continue to eagerly anticipate American Nightmare :D I hope those playing for the first time on PC have a good time.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
This is brilliant. no matter how much DRM you impose piracy is still going to happen, if you go that route you're just hurting the legitimate consumers.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Yeah, but in reality you should buy it you cheap f***s

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Only thing funny on this is how dismissive developers are of all other platform piracy issues but have to make a statement about the Pc platform. Good for remedy on this but I guess this also applies to all those folks with jtag pirated 360's as well? I don't recall Remedy coming out with these type of statements a year + back but when it comes to the PC...

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ravensmash

Only thing funny on this is how dismissive developers are of all other platform piracy issues but have to make a statement about the Pc platform. Good for remedy on this but I guess this also applies to all those folks with jtag pirated 360's as well? I don't recall Remedy coming out with these type of statements a year + back but when it comes to the PC...

jedikevin2
I think this may be related to the fact that it leaked yesterday before release - be irrelevant to suddenly bring up other systems when the issue was PC.
SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

[QUOTE="vtoshkatur"]

Microsoft1234

yea that's bull, I know plenty of pc gamers that just pirate everything they want.

And I don't know a single PC gamer who pirates their games.

And considering anecdotal evidence = 100% truth then we're both right.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#48 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]

Ravensmash
I think this may be related to the fact that it leaked yesterday before release - be irrelevant to suddenly bring up other systems when the issue was PC.

Well,there was also the issue with the 360 version when only a few months after the released it was shown the 360 version was pirated 1.14 Million times and only sold 980k copies,wich for a console game(wich is way,way harder to pirate than a PC game) is really bad,but nothing was said about that.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="jedikevin2"]

Arach666

Well,there was also the issue with the 360 version when only a few months after the released it was shown the 360 version was pirated 1.14 Million times and only sold 980k copies,wich for a console game(wich is way,way harder to pirate than a PC game) is really bad,but nothing was said about that.

Eh, I'm not Remedy I don't know why they didn't - just saying why it'd be irrelevant to mention it in this particular message :P
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

I don't know... if they're able to play Alan Wake for free, what makes Remedy think they'll pay for future titles, regardless of the quality? Pirates pirate because they don't want to spend their money... :?JustPlainLucas

>Pirate downloads game, likes it so much he buys a legitimate copy or buys future Remedy games.
>Pirate downloads game, continues pirating games.

Where's Remedy losing out?