Religion in games...the untapped market!

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts

I'm sure that they're some crappy religious games out there, but i believe that some big name game delevopers should tackle this idea. You'd have a solid target audience if you stuck with some of the more "mainstream" religions. Maybe something along the lines of a Moses FPS or a Jesus platformer.

thoughts?

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
..... try again? :|
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts
Oh hell no, Bible Adventures is enough!
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
That really wouldn't work out.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
Too much bad press from some random segment.
Avatar image for soiheardyoulike
soiheardyoulike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 soiheardyoulike
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts
No, simply no.
SonyMarksman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SonyMarksman70
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts
Directed by Mel Gibson ;)
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
That would be commercial suicide in many ways, regardless of what religion you were using.
Son_of_Some

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Son_of_Some
Member since 2006 • 1458 Posts

that would be really really really really lame and stupid.

And I'm sure even then some religious zealots would find a way to find it offensive.

For example, if they made a game where you played as a god and were supposed to create worlds a'la Sims, they'd say "Only god can be god and this is blasphemy humans can't be god."

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Utensilman

Just think of the potential. Slap jesus right in the middle of WWII, take out some nazis and in the end, die for our sins. That's a million seller right there.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Utensilman

And I'm sure even then some religious zealots would find a way to find it offensive.

For example, if they made a game where you played as a god and were supposed to create worlds a'la Sims, they'd say "Only god can be god and this is blasphemy humans can't be god."

Son_of_Some

i wonder what they think of SPORE then. You know, being based on evolution and all.

Son_of_Some

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Son_of_Some
[QUOTE="Son_of_Some"]

Utensilman

i wonder what they think of SPORE then. You know, being based on evolution and all.

Well...

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FrozenLiquid

Son_of_Some

Then they should've went to war with Peter Molyneux already, right?

Just think of the potential. Slap jesus right in the middle of WWII, take out some nazis and in the end, die for our sins. That's a million seller right there.

Utensilman

... are you seriously trying to be funny? Coz it sounds forced.

Anyway, here's something to take away from Kanye West:

" They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus
That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes
But if I talk about God my record won't get played Huh?"

That basically goes for all entertainment mediums.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="Utensilman"][QUOTE="Son_of_Some"]

Son_of_Some

Well...

That is so very much a person making a parody. It was never meant to be serious.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Utensilman
[QUOTE="Utensilman"][QUOTE="Son_of_Some"]

Son_of_Some

Well...

LOL no ******* way

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="Son_of_Some"]

Well...

Utensilman

LOL no ******* way

Its parody, not real.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FrozenLiquid

Well...

Son_of_Some

Someone didn't get the memo

radoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 radoman
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts
I think the TC has a good point. There is a massive market for christian rock, why wouldnt there be a market for christian games? As for a major dev producing one, credibility suicide.
sneslover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sneslover
Member since 2005 • 957 Posts
I'm happy with Doom and Quake's satanism.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="Son_of_Some"]

Well...

FrozenLiquid

But man it was an epic Rickroll:

But the Bible teaches us that God was not done with man. For we were His creation and He then spoke to Noah in Genesis 8:21-27 after the flood.

"21. The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: "Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never gonna give you up. 22. "Never gonna let you down." 23."Never gonna run around and desert you." 24. "Never gonna make you cry." 25. "Never gonna say goodbye." 26. "Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you." 27."Never truly believe anything you read on the Internet. There will always be cases of Poe's Law."

Pay attention to the end lines...

RazMaTaz-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RazMaTaz-1
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts
If you were a game developer and developed something like that, you would probably be considered the worst game developer.
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts

No. I just think it wouldn't be appropriate to do so. Cause then you'll get these hostile arguments in forums like this, with everyone calling names to anyone who wouldn't worship their god.

So um, no.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
[QUOTE="Son_of_Some"]

Well...

FrozenLiquid

Simply one of the best Rick Rolls ever.

mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts
Halo: Holy Combat
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FrozenLiquid

But the Bible teaches us that God was not done with man. For we were His creation and He then spoke to Noah in Genesis 8:21-27 after the flood.

"21. The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: "Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never gonna give you up. 22. "Never gonna let you down." 23."Never gonna run around and desert you." 24. "Never gonna make you cry." 25. "Never gonna say goodbye." 26. "Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you." 27."Never truly believe anything you read on the Internet. There will always be cases of Poe's Law."

sneslover

:lol: that was just freakin' hilarious.

I lol at that guy quoting a fiction book written centuries after the events it's based in and heavily manipulated to the church's benefit.

sneslover

He quoted lyrics to a 1987 song -_-".

Well here's proof that the Bible haters don't even know what they're talking about.

They probably don't even read the Dawkin books as well.

Son_of_Some

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Son_of_Some
[QUOTE="sneslover"]

FrozenLiquid

:lol: that was just freakin' hilarious.

I lol at that guy quoting a fiction book written centuries after the events it's based in and heavily manipulated to the church's benefit.

sneslover

I'm even willing to bet people haven't read Koran or any other holy books of all the religions in the world.

He quoted lyrics to a 1987 song -_-".

Well here's proof that the Bible haters don't even know what they're talking about.

They probably don't even read the Dawkin books as well.

sneslover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sneslover
Member since 2005 • 957 Posts

I mixed Genesis with the Bible again, darn it.

Anyway, the anti-spore guy should face the real world.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts
I was very dissapointed with Assassin's Creed. The religious and cultural content is extremely stripped down. They played it safe.
AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts

Have you ever watched this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNvQYiM6bw

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

Great Idea. I'm gonna make:

Muslim Gear Sorted - A daring race against time to get your prayer mat facing the right direction AND you hands washed before the bell chimes.

Unbaptised: Drakes Initiation - Can you select the right dialogue options to convert Drake to Christianity before time runs out? Will you get him to the font before he realises whats happened?

Alone in the Stark Light of Gods Wrath - You've sinned! Now you must make it up to god before he smites you with fiery vengence. Visit the confessional, do a good deed or convert to a new religion, the choice is yours in this stunning RPG.

So, whos buying?

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Stonin
Anyway, there have been many attempts at this over the years, from the NES onward. AVGN did a segment on some of them, and you can find other ones in SomethingAwful's old video game reviews if you really want to. They don't sell very well. Crazy fundamentalists don't want to play a videogame even if it does support their crazy fundamentalist views.

Besides, you always refer to religion as if Christianity is the only one there is. Nobody batted an eyelid when Okami was released, and yet that game is based heavily on Shinto mythology, and you play as the most important deity in their pantheon. Amaterasu is basically the equivalent of Jesus, yet Okami portrays her as kicking ass, taking names and at one point staring at a woman's breasts. Just goes to show that even among religious folks, Christians are the most intolerant pricks of them all.

chutup

Religion doesn't have to be about fundamentalism...just look at some of my great ideas!

Yeah, ok, you're probably right.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Billy Graham's Bible Blaster! :P
DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
If they start pushing religions in video games, I will seriously punch the president of the developing company in the face and burn down their buildings. There is nothing more disgraceful then pushing your own religion on other people and considering how many people are in this world who do play video games, I would say a good 50% of the gaming population is not of the Christian or Catholic faith. Talk about generating backlash from parents and gamers alike, religion is the one thing that should never be pushed in games. It is bad enough they have some religious elements in games like Tales of Symphonia and the Dragon Quest series, but they aren't pushing specific religions upon players.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Stonin

If they start pushing religions in video games, I will seriously punch the president of the developing company in the face and burn down their buildings. There is nothing more disgraceful then pushing your own religion on other people and considering how many people are in this world who do play video games, I would say a good 50% of the gaming population is not of the Christian or Catholic faith. Talk about generating backlash from parents and gamers alike, religion is the one thing that should never be pushed in games. It is bad enough they have some religious elements in games like Tales of Symphonia and the Dragon Quest series, but they aren't pushing specific religions upon players.DSgamer64

The whole basis of religion is about pushing it on other people...and if they don't accept it then you either kill them or shun them.

Also, religion =/= christian or catholic so why do people always assume that is what they'll see in video games...

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DSgamer64
I think the TC has a good point. There is a massive market for christian rock, why wouldnt there be a market for christian games? As for a major dev producing one, credibility suicide.radoman
Maybe because religious values are quickly drifting away from younger generations who can't be bothered with them and let's face it, teenagers are the primary buyers of video games and tend to be neutral towards religion.
Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts
Religion is bad in its own...
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Stonin

[QUOTE="radoman"]I think the TC has a good point. There is a massive market for christian rock, why wouldnt there be a market for christian games? As for a major dev producing one, credibility suicide.DSgamer64
Maybe because religious values are quickly drifting away from younger generations who can't be bothered with them and let's face it, teenagers are the primary buyers of video games and tend to be neutral towards religion.

No, people are moving away from Christianity but I think you'll find that Islam, amongst others, is fast gaining popularity. This is probably not reflected in American culture but then they are a tiny proportion of the people in this world. You are American correct?

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DSgamer64

[QUOTE="DSgamer64"][QUOTE="radoman"]I think the TC has a good point. There is a massive market for christian rock, why wouldnt there be a market for christian games? As for a major dev producing one, credibility suicide.Stonin

No, people are moving away from Christianity but I think you'll find that Islam, amongst others, is fast gaining popularity. This is probably not reflected in American culture but then they are a tiny proportion of the people in this world. You are American correct?

How many people do you know have joined an Islamic religion recently? Cause I don't know anyone who would, I know people of various religions, my younger brother is Christian and that is fine, I am not religious and hate it when people try to push their ideals on me. Most people of an Islamic religion are born into it, they have no choice because their parents force them to follow it.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts
Keep religion out of gaming unless it is a fictive one set in the game's universe. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is a good example of a game with a well-implemented in-game religion (and the criticism that comes with it is fun).
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Stonin
[QUOTE="Stonin"]

[QUOTE="DSgamer64"][QUOTE="radoman"]I think the TC has a good point. There is a massive market for christian rock, why wouldnt there be a market for christian games? As for a major dev producing one, credibility suicide.DSgamer64

How many people do you know have joined an Islamic religion recently? Cause I don't know anyone who would, I know people of various religions, my younger brother is Christian and that is fine, I am not religious and hate it when people try to push their ideals on me. Most people of an Islamic religion are born into it, they have no choice because their parents force them to follow it.

Honestly, do you really believe what you just wrote? Islam isn't big with your friends and family because you live in a pre-dominantly Christian society. You say most people of an Islamic religion are born into it but fail to mention that it is the same for almost every single religion on the planet. Islam is not special in this regard.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
Can't imagine games like those pushing units or avoiding controversy.
Wozmcfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wozmcfc
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts
No way, religion should be a belief, that is all.
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts

I don't think a game directed at religious people can really be great, too many restrictions comes with it. But a game BASED on religious themes could be epic. Think of Painkiller or something, angels vs demons would be a good theme for any game, or something like Assasin's Creed set in the jesus/moses era, and isn't OT supposed to be pretty brutal? I bet there'd be few stories to base an action game on.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
ohh hell no....
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts