Regarding Achievements, Trophies and Addiction to them

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mastarifla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mastarifla
Member since 2005 • 2448 Posts
Hello Everyone, I am addicted to achievements just like many other gamers in my "circle". Just like me are thousands of gamers pick up kids games and buy arcade games just to boost up their artificial score. Now PS3 owners are going to get hit like a tidal wave with trophies and will be having the same symptoms as me and many other fellow gamers. I didn't start off like this, I played games for fun, eventually it got to the point where I went online and tried to find guides to getting achievements. This soon got out of hand, I then started not putting quality titles on my tag because of the difficulty of the achievements. If I couldn't get 1k in the game in a reasonable amount of time then I wouldn't play it. So far me and many other have missed out on games like NG2, Graw, DMC4, an even Dead Rising. What bothers me is the road that continues on from here. You could have skipped all the top stuff but I like to give out a little background information. After that step people fall into paying money for gamerscore, soon this will be plagued by the trophy system as well. People will find ways to artificially enhance their trophies by using gamesaves. The PS3 has no "gamesave protection" anybody can use any save, I am not going to explain how to do it but it isn't hard to understand. The Xbox360 saves are locked to the profile that created the save. Within a year of time "hackers" have found a way to sign these saves to whichever profile they want. It is a difficult process and it costs money to buy the materials needed to be able to preform such an action. A select few have found how to modify profiles and games to "hack" the full amount of gamerscore. It is impossible to tell if such a thing has happened unless you see someone who has unlocked online achievements offline (the old way). People actually make a great deal of cash unlocking achievements via Ebay (Microsoft has cracked down on this very hard lately). I fear that the same thing is going to happen with trophies. The problem is, I think Sony doesn't care about the integrity of the system this early on and will not provide any action to try to "console/profile lock" the saves. Therefore people will be able to make large sums of cash (I am talk at least $10 per game they do) using their own save (or a save that they downloaded) to boost the trophy count of the buyer. Am I the only one who realizes this and has the balls to speak out on it's behalf? I know I am not but we need to let Sony know that something has to be done about this. The integrity of the Trophy system is at stake. Microsoft thankfully has heard cries of this and as you know has been resenting gamerscore to the "top offenders" of such an act. Unfortunately there will always be around such security and there will be no true show of skill in either of these arenas therefore making what the system stands for absolutely worthless. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say on the issue, post what you think on it.
DrachulaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 DrachulaX
Member since 2007 • 190 Posts
I never found Achievements addicting, and I don't find Trophies on PSN addicting either. I guess you have to have an addictive personality (lol)
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

Yes those who bashed Achievements had their fair share of some humble pie since they got a taste of it called Trophies. If you Search Board: Achievements, you'll a hand full bashing Achievements before but now they have been silenced since they're addicted to the achievement-like system called Trophies. Jump in.

mastarifla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mastarifla
I never found Achievements addicting, and I don't find Trophies on PSN addicting either. I guess you have to have an addictive personality (lol)DrachulaX
For some people getting everything you can get in a game leads to addiction to achievements. I liked getting everything that I could in past RPG's and have an addictive personality so that is what probably lead to my achievement need heh.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
All the problems you mention only matter to people who take Acheivements or Trophies very very seriously, which shouldnt be done. So no I could care less about cheaters because people should not build their self esteem on stupid things like Trophies, achievements or gamescores. If your not playing the games for fun then you diserve this fate.
Avatar image for torontomapleafs
torontomapleafs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 torontomapleafs
Member since 2006 • 2019 Posts
I'm kind of half and half. I like them but at the same time i hate them. Hard to explain.
mastarifla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mastarifla
All the problems you mention only matter to people who take Acheivements or Trophies very very seriously, which shouldnt be done. So no I could care less about cheaters because people should not build their self esteem on stupid things like Trophies, achievements or gamescores. If your not playing the games for fun then you diserve this fate.Javy03
For some people that fun is getting every achievement/trophy you can get. How is that a bad thing? To want to play your game 100% to the fullest and getting trophies/achievements along the way. I agree the later steps are indeed excessive but that is what happens in the gaming world.

Your going to care when people come into your multiplayer games and ask "hey can I boost this trophy?" Achievements have ruined online gaming for the people who want to play it for fun, CoD4 did it right and never had any online achievements.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
[QUOTE="Javy03"]All the problems you mention only matter to people who take Acheivements or Trophies very very seriously, which shouldnt be done. So no I could care less about cheaters because people should not build their self esteem on stupid things like Trophies, achievements or gamescores. If your not playing the games for fun then you diserve this fate.mastarifla
For some people that fun is getting every achievement/trophy you can get. How is that a bad thing? To want to play your game 100% to the fullest and getting trophies/achievements along the way. I agree the later steps are indeed excessive but that is what happens in the gaming world.

Your going to care when people come into your multiplayer games and ask "hey can I boost this trophy?" Achievements have ruined online gaming for the people who want to play it for fun, CoD4 did it right and never had any online achievements.

I disagree. If playing a game to the 100% is you goal then others cheating to get their trophies or acheivements shouldnt matter to you since your goal is just to beat your choice in games to the 100%. But thats now what you describe, you complain that others might buffer thier Trophies by stealing others saved games. So now its not personal goals but competing with others online and thats where gamers become annoying.

Oh and COD4 was probably even worse IMO. It didnt have online achievements but you couldnt play a cage match without having people ask if you wanna play for "headshots" so they could get a golden gun they didnt really diserve.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

i find achievements addicting (cant speak for trophies because i dont own a PS3)

its like getting 100.000 points in pac-man... will anyone else care that you scored 100K on pacman? NO

Does it feel good to score 100K on pacman? hell yes

mastarifla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mastarifla

I disagree. If playing a game to the 100% is you goal then others cheating to get their trophies or acheivements shouldnt matter to you since your goal is just to beat your choice in games to the 100%. But thats now what you describe, you complain that others might buffer thier Trophies by stealing others saved games. So now its not personal goals but competing with others online and thats where gamers become annoying.

Oh and COD4 was probably even worse IMO. It didnt have online achievements but you couldnt play a cage match without having people ask if you wanna play for "headshots" so they could get a golden gun they didnt really diserve.

Javy03
Agreed to an extent, Sometimes in order to get 100% you have to play online, most games now adays have online capabilities and most developers decided to put personal achievements into their games. Resorting in ranked matches where constantly people were asking if you wanted to boost or not. Whenever there is ranking in games with a reward for the top players there will be people boosting for it, no matter if it is an achievement or not, I agree that that is just as bad if not worse than achievements.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
I always thought achievements were a good idea.
Kratos_OMEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Kratos_OMEGA
Member since 2007 • 2872 Posts

I always thought achievements were a good idea.rockguy92

Same here. I'm not addicted but if there is a mission that's worth say 50 points for a couple of hours play i would do it because it's a lot of points..as opposed to forgetting about it if it wasn't. I don't go out and buy rubbish games though even if they had easy achievements. It gives the game more of a purpose...yeah the real purpose is to have fun but i think the whole basis of achievemnts is great for games.

trakem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trakem
Member since 2002 • 3859 Posts
Eh, I don't realy care about Achievements or Trophies. Some people will get into that kind of thing, but I think many people won't. I do tend to wonder how much of Xbox 360's game sales comes from people who want to get tons of achievement points the easiest and quickest way possible and whether or not Trophies will boost PS3 game sales.
2scoopsofempty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 2scoopsofempty
Member since 2005 • 923 Posts
not really addicting to me... but i always get that little bit of satisfaction when i hear that chime "achievement unlocked"....
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts
i'm not "addicted" to achievements but it's very satisfying getting that small notification and pressing the guide button
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
I thought it was a little strange that Sony does not regulate the amount of trophies that can be put into a game. I fully expect crap games to get loaded up with trophies in order to sell more copies. I'm not saying that's a bad thing because tbo it's just smart business but devs will take advantage of this.
Sh3rpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sh3rpa
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts

I don't tailor my arguments to fit a single system.

therefore, i will say it again. trophies/achievements do not interest me. I was never the kid that had to get every damn coin in mario.

damn infinte brick punchers

mastarifla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mastarifla
I thought it was a little strange that Sony does not regulate the amount of trophies that can be put into a game. I fully expect crap games to get loaded up with trophies in order to sell more copies. I'm not saying that's a bad thing because tbo it's just smart business but devs will take advantage of this.Riverwolf007
Expect a cap of trophies to be started soon, it sounds like Sony is using this time as a trial period right now to see if it catches on and what they need to learn from it all. They don't want it to be exactly like achievements (although I am loving the "level up system" of trophies, but I like everything else better with achievements.

I don't tailor my arguments to fit a single system.

therefore, i will say it again. trophies/achievements do not interest me. I was never the kid that had to get every damn coin in mario.

damn infinte brick punchers

Sh3rpa
You seem to be very religious with your sig there... that is fine that you don't care about them but eventually when they start making there way into online games your going to be forced to listen to kids wanting to boost for trophies (unless you leave the game).