Realistically, how powerful will the Wii U's successor be?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

MS were very annoyed the bone wasnt as powerful as the ps4 this gen and wont have that again so their next console will be a super console with everything they've got thrown at it making it hard for Nintendo to compete against that kind of money.

Personally id like to see a powerful nintendo console again though, the last nintendo i owned and enjoyed was the N64 which had some awsome multiplayer games on it and it would be cool to enjoy that again.

All that said, i think its way too early to even be thinkin bout new consoles when the current gen is less than a year old.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

Hopefully it will be a slight upgrade from the Wii U, but it will be a handheld/console hybrid and it will be glorious.

No man. Stop with that shit. A proper console is what they need. What you described will fail harder than the Wii U!

I don't own Nintendo stock, so that doesn't really bother me. I would just like to play their games without having to pay an outrageous price for the console, considering that there are only going to be a handful of games I want each year. It would be amazing to not have to also buy their handheld as well.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: it's a great game , never said that it wasn't. And yes it looks great to. But it's not on the PS4s level graphically.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

@emgesp said:

@princeofshapeir said:

A generation behind, like always

NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube were not a generation behind.

Not a generation behind, but certainly, Nintendo systems have been 1up by the competition:

1. Sega Master System > NES
  2. NEO GEO > Snes > Genesis > TG16
  3. Xbox > Gamecube > PS2 > Dreamcast

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#55 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Realistically, we don't know. They could ditch the PowerPC based architecture in favor of something more powerful that can work better for a balance between horsepower and cost. If they were to go with a quad core Power7, complete with all the threads it would usually have, that alone would smash the CPUs inside the PS4 and XBO. They could try for that, keep the PowerPC base, go with an x86 chip, or something completely off the wall. This is Nintendo, we're talking about. When it comes to their core franchises, we know what to expect. With hardware, it's the opposite.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I don't care how powerful it is. If they keep motion controls as their primary control method, I won't be buying it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Minimum - 2+ TF gpu with 12 - 16 gb of ram, 8 core cpu.

Max - 5 teraflop gpu with 32gb of ram, 8 core cpu (a better one).

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@emgesp: I don't really care at this point. If they killed the Wii U and released a new consoles that supported all the Wii U games, but was more powerful then PS4/XB1 it would send a statment and maybe more gamers and 3rd party developers would support them. As it stands right now, I give the Wii U may exit this generation early. I see it lasting maybe another 2 years. Thanksfully there are enough games coming out for it next year to make it worth a purchase. There are about 15 games on the Wii U that I want. If they could get the system down to $250 or less before the holiday, they might see a nice surge in sales.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

If Nintendo is smart it will be up to par with the the competition

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#60  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

If Nintendo is smart it will be up to par with the the competition

I don't think that will happen if you are talking about the PS5 and next xbox. I think there next console will be a bit stronger than the ps4 most likely if they can afford to get components that beat the ps4 at a cheap price.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

very very difficult to call.

the one thing they can't do is try and make a console like the Ps4/X1 or PS5/X2. if they do that then it will be an even swifter kicking than they are getting this gen. a small company like nintendo cant directly compete with juggernauts. the only chance that has to work is if nintendo take a very game focused approach AND the market is tired of jack of all trade boxes and services (which seems unlikely). the hardware is the easy part. its the software and services and so on where nintendo will be absolutely slaughtered. even if nintendo deliver the hardware....why pick up the wii3 version of a game over another version?

so the horsepower has to be good enough to support whatever other USP they try.

if its an oculus rift type setup (just speculating here...i dont think it will be that) then the console will have to be pretty powerful to do it properly (a minimum of 2 screens at 1080P. with screens that close the res has to be high and driving graphics around the X1s best.). in 2016-2017 the hardware needed to drive two 1080P displays in games should be pretty reasonably priced. can they do that and the headset for around 350 quid though? could be a squeez.

i dont think itll be an X86/AMD based console though but rather an ARM/nvidia based console. the change will make development within nintendo far more efficent as their next handheld (which i also think will be ARM/nvidia) would basically be using the same hardware. just the console would be using far more powerful versions of the hardware. nintendo already have a lot of experience with ARM processors and a lot of what they have learned from the wiiu on the GPU side can still be applied to an Nvidia GPU.

i dont think the next console will be the console/handheld hybrid idea. its just too risky. they would be putting all their money in one basket essentially. the demands of a console and the demands of a handheld can also confilct quite badly. they might release a 3rd line of products that are essentially proper 10" gaming tablets that can connect to TVs....maybe. but it wouldnt be released instead of a handheld or console.

but yeah...very hard to call. it depends on what nintendos developers want and what price point they are going for.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17673 Posts

Nintendo doesn't have the proper third party support to put out great hardware. It would be suicide. Nintendo will Nintendo.....we'll see what they'll do will be best for their needs with everything else a secondary consideration. Nintendo's cornered themselves so badly through the way they conduct business that they really have no choice but to make cheaper hardware now. I wouldn't expect anything more.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Reaching potato power of Xbone + 2 additional percents that will never be used because third party (the main devs that push graphical envelope) doesn't give a flying crap about Nintendo and Nintendo themselves create nothing else but colorful games that could run on a GC.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Hopefully they go back to carts. Much better.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

I would like to see nintendo take a "risk" and just release a powerful system no gimmicks, nice controller like their xbox style controller they have for the WiiU, get a good online service going and be what Nintendo should be.

If they want the nostalgia crowd just name it the Super Nintendo II

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#66 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@emgesp said:

@cainetao11 said:

@emgesp said:

@cainetao11 said:

@emgesp said:

@cainetao11:

Compared to the PS3/360. I don't care what Nintendo says, Sony and Microsoft is their competition.

So its subjective to individual opinion then? Then my PC, which SHITS on PS4 and X1 is worth talking about in a forum called System Wars?

What does the PC have to do with the Wii U?

What do last gen consoles have to do with a current gen console then?

The fact that the Wii U is closer in power to last gen consoles than the XB1/PS4.

Since when does power dictate gens?

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

it doesn't even matter, they are the best at optimizing their graphics. The Zelda WiiU demos are the most gorgeous graphics I've ever seen so whatever. It could be ps4 power for all I care, they make the best quality games out there. Hopefully now that they've crossed over the threshold they can make truly open world games with famous Nintendo gameplay and tight controls.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 cainetao11

@rabakill said:

it doesn't even matter, they are the best at optimizing their graphics. The Zelda WiiU demos are the most gorgeous graphics I've ever seen so whatever. It could be ps4 power for all I care, they make the best quality games out there. Hopefully now that they've crossed over the threshold they can make truly open world games with famous Nintendo gameplay and tight controls.

Well said. I really loved the look of that Zelda U trailer. Are there more impressive games technically? Sure, but imo games have reached a point where the beauty is in the eye of the beholder and a game doesn't need to look photo realistic to be beautiful.

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

Geez....hard to call. I'ed say low end is 8 core PowerPC, 8GB memory with unified architecture, Radeon 290X level GPU, and 1TB HDD. Higher end a straight 16 core or 8 core with 8 threads, 12-16G

B of DDR 4, a custom higher end GPU, and 2TB HDD. As far as art direction. It can make a HUGE difference in appeal and immersion. Some games on the WiiU.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@emgesp said:

@cainetao11 said:

@emgesp said:

@cainetao11 said:

@emgesp said:

@cainetao11:

Compared to the PS3/360. I don't care what Nintendo says, Sony and Microsoft is their competition.

So its subjective to individual opinion then? Then my PC, which SHITS on PS4 and X1 is worth talking about in a forum called System Wars?

The fact that the Wii U is closer in power to last gen consoles than the XB1/PS4.

PS4 says hello.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#71 nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41558 Posts

@Heirren said:

Hopefully they go back to carts. Much better.

Third party devs: Lol No.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#72 nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41558 Posts

@Telekill said:

I don't care how powerful it is. If they keep motion controls as their primary control method, I won't be buying it.

Which isn't the case for Wii U.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

I think it should be a significant step up from the current generation, but there is no chance that it will match the PlayStation five or next Xbox. Also think Nintendo should shoot for two years before the competition.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Probably just short of what Xbone and PS4 is now.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 cainetao11

@emgesp said:

@cainetao11 said:

@emgesp said:

@cainetao11 said:

@emgesp said:

@cainetao11 said:

@emgesp said:

@cainetao11:

PS4 says hello.

Strange because mine cant say a word. Oh I see you are pulling new and un heard of rules from your anus. Wash up before dinner and have fun.

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#76 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

I doubt that there will be a real Wii U successor.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#77  Edited By Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@sailor232 said:

I hope they combine their home console with a handheld, I will not buy another Nintendo console anymore, I've given them enough of my money for the crap they pull.

They should do exactly that. Make a handheld that can play games on an HD TV.