"JRPG"'s are a joke compared to what they used to be...

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

I've played Tales of Vesperia, the World Ends with You, Lost Oddesy and those games are jokes compared to Final Fantast 6, Chrono Trigger, Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Even Valkeria Chronicles was good but compared to the greats I just mentioned was barely noteworthy.

Back in the day Jrpgs weren't great because they had great characters, great story, great gameplay. Todays Jrpgs feel boring and shallow like a saturday morning Anime.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
No, I love FF6 but I also love Valkyria Chronicles.
Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts
JRPG's are still fun as hell in my books.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

World Ends with you had much more engaging combat to me then most of yesterdays RPGs. Chrono Trigger is awesome but I don't understand peoples exessive love of it. That game is standard RPG fair for the ENTIRE FIRST HALF. It only turns into something special on the second half before it becomes open. Beofre that it was just good.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Nah there are still some great JRPG out there like Ys and Pokemon.

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

Agreed. Western RPG's are slowly taking the throne. JRPG's have become plum awful. The storylines were always somewhat confusing, but now they've just stopped trying. They should have never tried to fix what wasn't broken.

rikimaru93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rikimaru93
Member since 2003 • 762 Posts

I agree JRPGS have been lacking for about a decade now however; IMO the ones you listed stack up well against the gems from the 90s. The quantity of quality JRPGS has been steadily decreasing, but the ones that are good, are just as good as those found in the past.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
They've taken a backseat these days. It seems like they moved to handhelds more than the consoles.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

Yeah, yeah, yeah, JRPGs used to be good, just like FPS used to be better back in the days, just like Horror Games, just like (insert any other genre):roll:

Now if ou excuse me i'm going to enjoy classic games as well as new games.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

ugh this again really?! Im tired of people acting like this. If jrpgs were so great back then just stay in the past then and dont complain about it.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

I've played Tales of Vesperia, the World Ends with You, Lost Oddesy and those games are jokes compared to Final Fantast 6, Chrono Trigger, Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Even Valkeria Chronicles was good but compared to the greats I just mentioned was barely noteworthy.

Back in the day Jrpgs weren't great because they had great characters, great story, great gameplay. Todays Jrpgs feel boring and shallow like a saturday morning Anime.

Pray_to_me
Jrpgs ended when Enix was no longer a single company and Capcom made a sequel to Breath of Fire. Chrono Trigger is overrated, nobody even cared about the game as much as they did now until what? Around 6 years ago? Where all of a sudden Chrono Trigger and Star Ocean suddenly became these godly games. I will give the trophy to Chrono over Star ocean though. Talk about a faulty battle system.' This gens Jrpgs are. Interesting. It seem no one know what they want to do. But looking at Demon Souls, and a few XBLA games, it can be very easy to change things around but IMO most are scared to change the formula even today, when keeping the same formula is currently killing them.
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts

People are probably rather tired of the whole "save-the-world" scenario. If RPGs tried to go beyond this type of plot, we'd definitely have resurging interest in the genre. That, and the fact that its gameplay has hardly changed for a decade or so. Maybe if we saw more than just single-player experiences, like co-op gameplay, JRPGs would feel a lot fresher. But I guess that many gamers and developers are too afraid of it because they think that it would only lead to a weaker single-player campaign. If we applied this same kind of thinking to licensed games, then we'd never get Batman: Arkham Asylum or The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

Agreed. Western RPG's are slowly taking the throne. JRPG's have become plum awful. The storylines were always somewhat confusing, but now they've just stopped trying. They should have never tried to fix what wasn't broken.

jubino
So either, people are complaining about change, or complaining how it's too much change. I'm lost at just what people want.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="jubino"]

siLVURcross

So either, people are complaining about change, or complaining how it's too much change. I'm lost at just what people want.

You just cant make some people happy no matter what.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

It's the same for WRPG's

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 finalfantasy94

People are probably rather tired of the whole "save-the-world" scenario. If RPGs tried to go beyond this type of plot, we'd definitely have resurging interest in the genre. That, and the fact that its gameplay has hardly changed for a decade or so. Maybe if we saw more than just single-player experiences, like co-op gameplay, JRPGs would feel a lot fresher. But I guess that many gamers and developers are too afraid of it because they think that it would only lead to a weaker single-player campaign. If we applied this same kind of thinking to licensed games, then we'd never get Batman: Arkham Asylum or The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.

Mawy_Golomb

Yet people still like games that have the save the X story line. Why would I want co-op in my story focused rpg. Thats like asking for co-op in ME or dragon age. Also there has been different types of gameplay to jrpgs and mechanics. Thats why there are sub genras like strategy jrpgs like disgea and valkyria chroinicals. Hell look at the TWEWY.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I still love em. I just started playing Persona 3 Portable and it's the most fun I've had this year.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

The problem is they are exactly like they used to be.

Except for a few rare exceptions(example Demon Souls, Valkyria Chronicles) JRPGs seem to stick with gameplay elements fromn the 90s, just with better looking graphics.

Story elements are mostly the same, story integration has not gotten better, and gameplay is mostly exactly the same

WRPGs and other game genres have evolved allot more, but JRPGs as a whole are stuck in the past.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#19 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Nostalgia. And a bit of stagnation, I suppose. But WRPGs aren't much different. Stuff like Mass Effect 2 is barely an RPG, Oblivion is beyond generic, and the new Fallout games pale in comparison to the originals - Dragon Age is a mere shadow of Baldur's Gate 2, etc. Then you've got a game like Ultima VII that hasn't been equaled by anything. Sure, we've got shinier graphics and quality voice acting, but the biggest budget in the world can't save some of these games.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#20 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

Pray_to_me

I agree to an extent... It's sad....that all the ps1 jrpgs that I rebought on psn (as I got rid of my ps1 collection years ago :( )are better than 95% of all jrpgs today!!!

The reason being the characters, story, battlesystems and environments aren't the same. Jrpgs of yesteryear used to be about saving the world, dark or heroic storylines with characters that resembled westerners.... now you have childish stories with anime characters talking about kid things and school... all looking like they are 12 but with enlarged breasts. There is no story its all fan service to I don't want to know who.

I was excited at the start of this gen for jrpgs but besides VC and the games on PSP and DS ... .console jrpgs have sucked big time!!!

What happened to games like FFT, Tactics Ogre, Suikoden, Vandel Hearts, Vagrant Story, Legned of Dragoon.... all with deep storylines and dark political turmoil with adult or near adult characters. Now you have stupid wierdo animal races and loolipop characters in final fantasy tactics advanced...or should i say "For Kids" instead? It bogles the mind. It almost feels like jrpg makers stopped making jrpgs that westerners would enjoy.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
I still love JRPG's Persona 3-4 were amazing. Atlus wont be long announcing 5 now that they are more/less finished with Catharine. FF13 was better than people make it out to be, VS13 looks to be shaping up nicely we just need a release on it someyear. I'd personally like to see a few older franchises arise from the dust. A new Grandia would be apreciated...Dark cloud 3 never seems to happen!
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Midnightshade29

Mawy_Golomb

What? It's the opposite, todays JRPGS don't do the save the world... and they are trying to shoe horn in multiplayer in all the time ie monster hunter bs....RPG fans don't want multiplayer.. and we don't want loolipop pedi crap... we want upgraded games like vagrant story but in hd... games like the first 2 suikoden, vandel hearts (not the downloadable...) Save the world isn't done...now its all lets go into a loolipop adventure in beethovens dreamland with high pitched squeaky voiced kids named beat with a girl that fights with an umbrella... a freakn umbrella!!!! What happened to long swords, maces, axes, halberds, poll arms, etc.... you know weapons of war.... umbrelllas? And many people thought that game eternal sonata was good? wow...just wow...

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

The good ones are on the handhelds.

Here's hoping Xenoblade, The Last Story, Dragon Quest X, Tales of Graces f, Dark Souls (would you consider it?) and Tales of Xillia change that.

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Midnightshade29

Nostalgia. And a bit of stagnation, I suppose. But WRPGs aren't much different. Stuff like Mass Effect 2 is barely an RPG, Oblivion is beyond generic, and the new Fallout games pale in comparison to the originals - Dragon Age is a mere shadow of Baldur's Gate 2, etc. Then you've got a game like Ultima VII that hasn't been equaled by anything. Sure, we've got shinier graphics and quality voice acting, but the biggest budget in the world can't save some of these games.DJ_Lae

urrgh ... I long for a Ultima VII ... make it happen Origin... oh wait... screw you EA!!!!

Oh and a ultima underworld fps game would be great too...how about some more party based wrpgs...that aren't like da2? I can only dream!

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

World Ends with you had much more engaging combat to me then most of yesterdays RPGs. Chrono Trigger is awesome but I don't understand peoples exessive love of it. That game is standard RPG fair for the ENTIRE FIRST HALF. It only turns into something special on the second half before it becomes open. Beofre that it was just good.

ActicEdge

Yeah agreed, personally I thought Chrono Cross was better... Idk maybe that makes me crazy or something lol

But yeah the World Ends With You was amazing... And Valkyria Chronicles is one of the best games EVER imo. I am also really liking Birth By Sleep and Yakuza 4 right now as well. But its some what true, there just isn't as much going on, on consoles at least.. The psp has been getting so many awesome JRPGs for the past few years with more to come, but I would like it if there were more memorable ones on consoles, I think thats why it seems the genre has declined so badly.. because all of the good ones are on handhelds and half of them don't even make it over here anymore because of how little NA and Europe seems to care about the psp and ds software

Vipa37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vipa37
Member since 2009 • 268 Posts

I like all the games that the TC is saying i still think that tales of the abyss was the best tales game ever made (even though they have others i have not played) but vesperia was cool i just didnt like how to get certain skills you had to use weak weapons. But to get back on track JRPG's as a whole like another user said is that they are stuck doing the same thing that they were doin in the 90's but i think they will come around and make them good again.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

I always thought JRPG's were a joke. I am ahead of the curve wooo hoo.

Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mawy_Golomb

[QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]

finalfantasy94

Yet people still like games that have the save the X story line. Why would I want co-op in my story focused rpg. Thats like asking for co-op in ME or dragon age. Also there has been different types of gameplay to jrpgs and mechanics. Thats why there are sub genras like strategy jrpgs like disgea and valkyria chroinicals. Hell look at the TWEWY.

If I remember correctly, didn't Bioware's earlier fantasy role-playing game franchise, Baldur's Gate, offer some degree of co-op? Why was this removed from its later games? Was it because Bioware couldn't handle such ideas on consoles, assuming that dumbing down gameplay mechanics is the only right option available to its staff? I assure you that, as games like Diablo III rise in popularity, and as social/online gaming continues to become more mainstream, we'll see more than just a long list of single-player only titles, whether they're RPGs, shooters, strategy games, etc.

And the only thing hindering on the innovation of game developers is themselves for not taking any risks, especially when it comes to offering some interesting alternatives, like multiplayer or co-op in an RPG. Sure, it may take time before such ideas are implemented well, but that's exactly how every genre and idea starts off at first. It's nothing more than a speck of dust, before it grows into something very profitable and fun. That is the nature of creativity in all mediums (i.e. literature, cinema, TV, radio, theater, music, etc.) , not just video games.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

JRPGs are still very enjoyable games. My personal 2 favorite RPGs this gen are Nier and Enchanted Arms. Which might sound like something to scoff at, but they were both great games that I thoroughly enjoyed, with great stories, characters, and gameplay.

I see a decline in the amount of quality JRPGs simply because of the overall decline of the titles coming out for the genre.

Of course before there were many great JRPGs, but that can be a direct correlation to them being made so frequently before.

When FPS's stop being as popular in a gen or so, the same complaints may arise, simply because of nostalgia and because not as many of them will probably be made when people start to get to the point where they are tired of the genre.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Mawy_Golomb

Doubt it, people will never get tired of "save the world".. Stories have been doing it for thousands of years and I don't think theyll stop any time soon. And I just don't understand why everything needs multiplayer. Some times its good, but a game where the story matters should never have multiplayer.. its too distracting it doesn't work, it takes away from the game. And... how could you get someone to sit down and play an 80 hour game with you in its entirety?.. Thatd be insanity.

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

They are still good, its just they have changed a bit. I loved lost oddesey and ff13. Even though its not the same as FF6 etc, its still good.

Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mawy_Golomb

JRPGs are still very enjoyable games. My personal 2 favorite RPGs this gen are Nier and Enchanted Arms. Which might sound like something to scoff at, but they were both great games that I thoroughly enjoyed, with great stories, characters, and gameplay.

I see a decline in the amount of quality JRPGs simply because of the overall decline of the titles coming out for the genre.

Of course before there were many great JRPGs, but that can be a direct correlation to them being made so frequently before.

When FPS's stop being as popular in a gen or so, the same complaints may arise, simply because of nostalgia and because not as many of them will probably be made when people start to get to the point where they are tired of the genre.

good_sk8er7

You're absolutely right, good_sk8er7. I agree with you on every point that you made. While we still have ones that are unique, like Demon's Souls, this genre has a lot of new ground that it must tread through before the situation ever gets better and beyond an endless line of rehased sequels and rip-off IPs.

[QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]

VendettaRed07

Doubt it, people will never get tired of "save the world".. Stories have been doing it for thousands of years and I don't think theyll stop any time soon. And I just don't understand why everything needs multiplayer. Some times its good, but a game where the story matters should never have multiplayer.. its too distracting it doesn't work, it takes away from the game. And... how could you get someone to sit down and play an 80 hour game with you in its entirety?.. Thatd be insanity.

I used to believe the same thing--that multiplayer infringes upon a game's overall quality. The only thing that is holding back games w/multiplayer from having great stories is...well...writers themselves. Maybe even the game designers, who get too worked up about delivering an identical experience as a sequel or a title competing with another one in its genre. Likewise, RPGs could have great multiplayer (look at Mount & Blade), if only game developers took higher risks. I'm sure that even a game set within the FF universe could do well with this in mind. Of course, that doesn't mean that I'd necessarily want another Massively Multiplayer Online RPG like...*cough*...Final Fantasy XIV...*cough*

Let us also not forget that genres like strategy games offer multiplayer that can last several hours long, so anything is possible. Giving players the option to play matches with each other that are short or long is a good idea. Most people probably don't have the patience to sit through an 80 hr. long story, but if you include the ability to get others to hop in and out of a game any time, anywhere, it could help ease some of the fatigue that is caused by long playing sessions.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

Yeah, yeah, yeah, JRPGs used to be good, just like FPS used to be better back in the days, just like Horror Games, just like (insert any other genre):roll:

Now if ou excuse me i'm going to enjoy classic games as well as new games.

madsnakehhh
To be fair back then horror games were actually horror games not stuff like RE4,5, Dead Space 1 and 2.
sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
They always been a joke except FF series. I hate anime stuff.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#35 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
No they're not. While they have taken a fall from grace there have been plenty of worthwhile titles this gen. Hell I still put TWEWY in my list of top games this gen.
Stressthesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Stressthesky
Member since 2009 • 490 Posts

JRPGs lost their touch as soon as they started implementing voice acting. 90% of the dialogue in an JRPG just doesn't need to be heard. Imagine Final Fantasy 7 with voice acting. Try to picture some of Barret's lines being voiced out in a black man stereotype fashion and cringe at the very thought.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#37 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

The only RPG game I've enjoyed this gen was Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia, other than those two I just mentioned everything else was mediocre.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

JRPGs lost their touch as soon as they started implementing voice acting. 90% of the dialogue in an JRPG just doesn't need to be heard. Imagine Final Fantasy 7 with voice acting. Try to picture some of Barret's lines being voiced out in a black man stereotype fashion and cringe at the very thought.

Stressthesky

That is the problem with English voice-acting, as it is often done poorly. I wonder why as Japanese voice-acting seems more more professional and appropriate to the characters.

skanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 skanjos
Member since 2006 • 647 Posts

i bet the tc hasnt played twe world ends with you, it has the best battle system in a jrpg since ever...

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 finalfantasy94

Stressthesky

Well if its bad voice acting in the game its the teams fault for not getting a good cast. Its not like all of the VO from jrpgs are awful. In ff13 I thought the VO was actually good and the only voice I didint like was vanile.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]

Mawy_Golomb

If I remember correctly, didn't Bioware's earlier fantasy role-playing game franchise, Baldur's Gate, offer some degree of co-op? Why was this removed from its later games? Was it because Bioware couldn't handle such ideas on consoles, assuming that dumbing down gameplay mechanics is the only right option available to its staff? I assure you that, as games like Diablo III rise in popularity, and as social/online gaming continues to become more mainstream, we'll see more than just a long list of single-player only titles, whether they're RPGs, shooters, strategy games, etc.

And the only thing hindering on the innovation of game developers is themselves for not taking any risks, especially when it comes to offering some interesting alternatives, like multiplayer or co-op in an RPG. Sure, it may take time before such ideas are implemented well, but that's exactly how every genre and idea starts off at first. It's nothing more than a speck of dust, before it grows into something very profitable and fun. That is the nature of creativity in all mediums (i.e. literature, cinema, TV, radio, theater, music, etc.) , not just video games.

imo co-op can only work in certain types of games. In a rpg aspect I only seeing it work well in dungion crawlers/loot collecting games. Something like xmen legends. Mainly cause those types of games can get pretty lonely and boring to certain people when its just them.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

ActicEdge
Well maybe but overall was awesome. I played Chrono Trigger recently , yeah in 2011 , and even if it a game of 90's i loved it. Thats a big deal if you ask me. First i thought i wouldnt stand to play it for more than an hour with so outdated graphics and all but it hook me up so bad i couldnt stop. Thats why i think when people saying CT is one of the best ever is not exaggeration at all.
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
Consoles are a joke in the JRPG department. The Handhelds has been the place to be for JRPG's since the start of the gen.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Agree. I've played plenty this gen and they're crap. FF13 was the best and the game isn't even that good... Linear JRPG=insta fail.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

It's not that they're worse, there are just less of them. Oh and remember to ignore the scores, Nier for example, is must play if you like the genre iho.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dibdibdobdobo
Agree. I've played plenty this gen and they're crap. FF13 was the best and the game isn't even that good... Linear JRPG=insta fail.silversix_
You own a handheld?!
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

The Handhelds has been the place to be for JRPG's since the start of the gen.Dibdibdobdobo

Well that's the problem with jrpgs this gen. They moved onto inferior platforms.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dibdibdobdobo

[QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"]The Handhelds has been the place to be for JRPG's since the start of the gen.edidili

Well that's the problem with jrpgs this gen. They moved onto inferior platforms.

Inferior platforms offering superior gameplay. Totally makes sense. AYE?!