"Indies should definitely jump onto the PS Vita" - Retro City Rampage

This topic is locked from further discussion.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

Thanks to gaf

https://twitter.com/BriProv/status/306488818578620416

RCR dev + Zeboyd retweet:

Indies should definitely jump onto the PS Vita. RCR's sold much more on PSN than XBLA and more on PS Vita than even PS3.

@psnstores This doesn't include PS Plus. It's _SOLD_ far more on PSN than XBLA. With PS Plus, there are a bajillion more copies out there

@werezompire Steam's done far better than XBLA too, but PSN has still done the best.

Robert Boyd @werezompire
@BriProv Looks like we need to get our RPGs on Vita then. :)

Zeboyd reaching out to Sony:

Robert Boyd @werezompire
Apparently RCR sold better on PSN (especially Vita) than Steam or XBLA. @ShaneWatch we need to talk. :)

Shane Bettenhausen @ShaneWatch
@werezompire emailing!

I believe Brian Proviciano is doing a talk at GDC about this subject, according to his twitter feed it seems. Link: http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/1...atform_at_Once

He seems very passionate about letting people know how his experience has been on the various platforms, and that what was once true 4 years ago isn't necessarily true now (about which platforms are the biggest/easiest to work with / generate the most revenue / etc). He seems to indicate that his dealings with Sony (and Nintendo and Valve) were extremely smooth and not overly burdensome or unnecessarily complicated.

Let's just say that hearing these things has stirred us at zeboyd a bit and we're going to take a far more serious look into these things that Brian has brought up. :)

Indies have enough power to resurrect the vita? What say you?

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

I do have to say, I have enjoyed these smaller, indie games on handhelds a bit more than I do on full consoles or PC. They do seem to fit that type of platform better.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Some games work good for it, others wouldn't. More indie games on any platform is always a good thing though.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

I expect alot of BS coming towards this Thread, interesting News I personally enjoy small indie type games on my Vita rather then PC, like Hotline Miami will def play that more on my Vita then I ever will on my PC.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

If these smaller games can reach broader audiences across different platforms I'm all for it. I'm not big on indie games myself (the humoungous circle jerks of several threads have made me a bit more cynical and severe on them) but if others are and this gets more indie games out there and also helps the PS Vita. Cool.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

I expect alot of BS coming towards this Thread, interesting News I personally enjoy small indie type games on my Vita rather then PC, like Hotline Miami will def play that more on my Vita then I ever will on my PC.

Blake135
That game is gonna be hard as f*ck on the Vita. :lol:
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blake135

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

tagyhag

That is very true :P will be interesting to see how it handles.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
[QUOTE="Blake135"]

tagyhag

superior handheld version confirmed [spoiler] :P [/spoiler]
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#10 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
Its great RCR plays like a dream on the vita... and its a natrual fit for indies... I want a terriria and minecraft on it though, but it probably won't happen (stupid ms exclusive rights) but yeah.. It was already reported that Vita has a higher attach rate per console and higher Digital sales than psn. Vita buyers buy everything because they are all core gamers... they would have to be to buy a portable at the price point.
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Midnightshade29
wasn't the binding of issac also announced as a vita game? I would play it there much more than on my pc version. Such a great game and Sony won't try to censor them like nintendo did (to the point that the refused to release on their platform). Look at every ps blog thread.. everyone is always asking for vita verisons of everything. People who own them love them and play vita all the time. It has an insanely high attach rate too... just not high overall console sales.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blake135

wasn't the binding of issac also announced as a vita game? I would play it there much more than on my pc version. Such a great game and Sony won't try to censor them like nintendo did (to the point that the refused to release on their platform). Look at every ps blog thread.. everyone is always asking for vita verisons of everything. People who own them love them and play vita all the time. It has an insanely high attach rate too... just not high overall console sales.Midnightshade29

Yeah Binding is still coming no date yet but this year supposedly.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I'm definitely behind that idea.  Castle Crashers, Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, Mark of the Ninja, Terraria, Bastion, Braid, Limbo, etc.

Handhelds & Indie devs have a lot to benefit from if they can make that happen.

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Midnightshade29
RCR is $5 less on xbla than on PSN, suprised it's selling so poorly on xbox.getyeryayasout
maybe more kids and cod players who don't like the retro graphics? maybe... i don't know, but also account that the ps3/vita version is cross buy too (buy either you get both)