Quench that zombie killing spree with Dying Light

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Will Dying Light be the next big zombie game!? you decide

Looks like it comes out in Feb 2015 and looks leagues better than Dead Island, here's the new trailer

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ballroompirate

We all know Dying Light is the game L4D tried to be and failed.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Techland can be brilliant or downright horrible, so I'll have to wait for this to actually release.

Dead Island 2 could be sweet, too.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Looks pretty damn awesome

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

yay another zombie clone

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ballroompirate

@freedomfreak said:

Techland can be brilliant or downright horrible, so I'll have to wait for this to actually release.

Dead Island 2 could be sweet, too.

If I was a betting man Dying Light will probably be better than DI2

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It looks like Dead Island which I thought wasn't very good.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Both looks to be worth to buy and play through

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Looks quite good. I just wish they wouldnt make these games so stupid with all the stuff like electricity sledgehammers and focused on being a little more realistic. I suppose there is DayZ for that though.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I've already seen enough gameplay to know this game will be amazing. They've already fleshed out enough to be an amazing game in it's own right, now they can build from there.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 parkurtommo

@RoboCopISJesus said:

yay another zombie clone

Except it's not a clone... Has a really cool emergent and dynamic gameplay style by the looks of it. The only thing that it depends on is the subject matter of zombies. But you could easily replace that with other enemies. The point is the gameplay though, not the subject matter. Zombies are like a go-to subject matter because they're easy to program and fun to kill.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

This really doesn't look all that great. Not sure why everyone is falling for the corporate BS all over again.

Expect to be disappointed.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

After State of Decay I don't know if I want something that looks as mind numbing as what Dead Island and Dying Light look like from a game play perspective. I can get over "more zombies", but the game play wasn't exactly all that engaging in Dead Island, and this still looks like it is working off that base. I'd need a demo for actual convincing, not footage of a game that might or might not play well.

Otherwise my zombie fix comes from State of Decay, Dead Rising, and Left 4 Dead. They are all mechanically more interesting than what these games show. Probably should get around to trying Killing Floor.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 parkurtommo

@jg4xchamp said:

After State of Decay I don't know if I want something that looks as mind numbing as what Dead Island and Dying Light look like from a game play perspective. I can get over "more zombies", but the game play wasn't exactly all that engaging in Dead Island, and this still looks like it is working off that base. I'd need a demo for actual convincing, not footage of a game that might or might not play well.

Otherwise my zombie fix comes from State of Decay, Dead Rising, and Left 4 Dead. They are all mechanically more interesting than what these games show. Probably should get around to trying Killing Floor.

Did you see the stage demo on GS's E3 coverage? They showed off some really, really impressive gameplay. Looked very free form and dynamic.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Yeah, i'm really liking the look of it. Hopefully it's not a broken mess when released.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Doesn't this come out next year though?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ballroompirate

@walloftruth said:

@pelvist said:

Looks quite good. I just wish they wouldnt make these games so stupid with all the stuff like electricity sledgehammers and focused on being a little more realistic. I suppose there is DayZ for that though.

DayZ is not realistic though, especially with all its bugs, it's gonna take a while for it to be actually realistic.

Got to love that godly sprint function in DayZ and the "hey i'll eat 10 cans of food in the span of a day" and somehow my character still needs food.

DayZ is as realistic as Resident Evil.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jg4xchamp

@parkurtommo said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Did you see the stage demo on GS's E3 coverage? They showed off some really, really impressive gameplay. Looked very free form and dynamic.

Link me.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Link me.

Link, yo!

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ballroompirate

@lundy86_4: Totally forgot about their E3 showing lol, seriously Dying Light looks leagues better than Dead Island.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Game looks absolutely amazing. Eagerly awaiting its release!

I was one who actually really loved Dead Island despite it's bugginess. Game was loads of fun especially when you had friends to play with. This game just looks to be taking the gameplay to a new level which is awwwweessssoooommmeee!

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

But Dead Island 2 might turn out really good since Spec Ops: The Line devs are doing it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Well, I loved Dead Island and Dead Island: Riptide despite the widely negative reviews and consumer reaction to it. Sure, it was very flawed in countless ways... but still, I found it pretty damn fun. Considering Dying Light is made by the same people that brought us Dead Island, I'm looking forward to it, more so than Dead Island 2 which is being made by a different developer. WBIE is publishing Dying Light which is being developed by the Dead Island developers. The Dead Island publisher Deep Silver is bringing a different team to work on Dead Island 2, I hope that too can deliver the same level of satisfaction as previous Dead Island games. I hope both turn out good, I'm not a freak for zombie games or anything but it couldn't hurt to have two similar and decent games in the same territory.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ballroompirate

@Salt_The_Fries said:

But Dead Island 2 might turn out really good since Spec Ops: The Line devs are doing it.

They need to actually show us some DI 2 stuff, didn't care for that CGI trailer they showed off

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 parkurtommo

@Ballroompirate said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

They need to actually show us some DI 2 stuff, didn't care for that CGI trailer they showed off

It was pretty fucking "interesting" imo :P

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ballroompirate

@parkurtommo said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

CGI just doesn't do it for me anymore unless it's jaw dropping like

Loading Video...

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 parkurtommo

@Ballroompirate said:

@parkurtommo said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

CGI just doesn't do it for me anymore unless it's jaw dropping like

Loading Video...

Yeah but it indicates the mood for the game in question. Unless it is like the original Dead Island Teaser that became so infamous. That was a mistake on their part. Don't mismarket your game. I think their DI2 CGI trailer was fantastic because it was both really awesome and unique but also indicative of a game that doesn't take itself too seriously (in Dead Island's case that is a big +).

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@pelvist said:

I don't think it's too much to ask for a little more realism. Not on the scale of DayZ, but just a smidge.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jg4xchamp
@lundy86_4 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Link me.

Link, yo!

Thanks

@parkurtommo: Okay it looks better visually, animations look nicer, and the grapple hook looks cool.

Otherwise I don't see how the core action became this substantially different thing just because they made the game world bigger and added parkour? If it's still just going to areas to kill zombies and do rudimentary open world missions in a repetitive fashion you haven't exactly improved the game. Instead you added a few bells n whistles. Could it be more dynamic with that opening and the few mechanics shown in that video? Yes. Is it dynamic or all that emergent from what's shown in that video? No.

Hence I'd like a demo.

Hobiron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hobiron
Member since 2014 • 66 Posts

This looks really good! Cant say anything about Dead Island 2 because there's no gameplay yet.. but this looks really great. And L4D Series is great too, i spent thousands of hours on it

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I hope it doesn't suck like dead rising 3.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pelvist

@Ballroompirate said:

@walloftruth said:

@pelvist said:

DayZ is not realistic though, especially with all its bugs, it's gonna take a while for it to be actually realistic.

Got to love that godly sprint function in DayZ and the "hey i'll eat 10 cans of food in the span of a day" and somehow my character still needs food.

DayZ is as realistic as Resident Evil.

Its not like real life no, but it is more realistic. -More serious would probably have been a better way of putting it but then I expect replies like "Serious? lol its a zombie game". All because saying "a little more serious" or "a little more realistic" reads like "nothing but totally serious" and "ultra mega realistic" to certain people.

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

Is it me or does the melee weapons never actually make contact with the zombies?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The parkour alone has me sold.

And then there is that Just Cause 2-like grappling hook.

@pelvist said:

Realism is boring. Zany action is what makes zombies interesting.

And what about zombies is realistic? They aren't real (outside of the Hoodoo kind, which really aren't zombies in the science fiction sense).

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I think I'll gamefly the game, doesn't look like a purchase to me.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 pelvist

@foxhound_fox said:

The parkour alone has me sold.

And then there is that Just Cause 2-like grappling hook.

@pelvist said:

Realism is boring. Zany action is what makes zombies interesting.

And what about zombies is realistic? They aren't real (outside of the Hoodoo kind, which really aren't zombies in the science fiction sense).

"a little more realistic" is not the same as ultra realistic to the point its almost real. I never said anything specifically about wanting zombies to be realistic either...