Quantic Dream: We chose Playstation 3 because it's the most powerful console

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts

Speaking to Overgame.com (in French), Quantic Dream revealed why they are exclusively backing the PS3 despite many developers going multi-platform. The main reason for supporting the machine is that it is the most powerful on the market, and matches their high development ambiitions. The team also rubbished the idea of working on two different platforms as you either make a lesser game aimed at two markets or you want to make two games that are not different but will cost just as much as one another.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=18713

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
Good. Quantic Dream is one of the better developers out there. Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) was absolutely fantastic, and I can't wait to play Heavy Rain.
kcm_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 kcm_117
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
We all know the ps3 is more powerful on paper, but we have yet to see a real difference in games.
Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts
Who the hell is Quantum Dreams? what games have they made? We all know the ps3 is more powerful on paper, but we have yet to see a real difference in games.kcm_117
I guess we will soon find out what it really can do.I mean look at all the devlopers starting to come around for this thing.
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts

They can say what they want, but we all know why they're making PS3 exclusives.

Sony threw em a check. They can say "We dont pay for exclusives" , but who actually believed that..?

XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XenogearsMaster

We all know the ps3 is more powerful on paper, but we have yet to see a real difference in games.kcm_117

We'll witness that at E3.

marioraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 marioraider
Member since 2006 • 1247 Posts
For this company, the PS3 is pretty much needed to make their games, because if you looked at something like Indigo Phrophecy (spelled it wrong, I know), most of the game was story and character development. Their next game will be most likely similar to Indigo, and the PS3 has enough power to create their stories and characters (and their development).
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
Economically, this is a very very stupid decision, I have no sympathy for them if this goes badly for them.
Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts

Translation: Sony Money Hats are Nice *Thumbs up*

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts

Translation: Sony Money Hats are Nice *Thumbs up*

Acenso
Translation : Microsoft Money Hats have holes in them *Thumbs down* :lol:
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
they probably want to fill the bluray disk with 10gb of game, and 40gb of dialogue.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
I thought Heavy Rain was multiplat though? Was that just a rumour or are QD making another game for the PS3?
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XenogearsMaster

I thought Heavy Rain was multiplat though? Was that just a rumour or are QD making another game for the PS3?the-very-best

It's already been announced that HR is PS3 exclusive.

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 asdasd

[QUOTE="the-very-best"]I thought Heavy Rain was multiplat though? Was that just a rumour or are QD making another game for the PS3?XenogearsMaster

Not sure about HR, but the latest news was that they were making a brand new game for the PS3. (They said it wasnt HR)

Edit: Heres the link.

During E3 ?

No, it will be a little bit later than E3, a show relatively important for japanese people, if you see what I mean. So not far from now. There is still no official confirmation that this game is HR.

I messed it up. They havent announced the game, but its rumored to be HR.

Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts
I love how everytime a dev says soemthing good about the PS3, I always see people saying "Sony payed them!" :lol: Can't you people just accept the PS3 is the most powerful console?
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
Very good news for the PS3. I was dissapointed by IP in a lot of areas, but the game was more then enough to show me that they have a lot of talent. Lets hope they push the console since it's exclusive work.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the-very-best

I love how everytime a dev says soemthing good about the PS3, I always see people saying "Sony payed them!" :lol: Can't you people just accept the PS3 is the most powerful console?Not-A-Stalker

Sony probably did pay them. It doesn't make sense to release an exclusive so early on in the console's life because a) the userbase is still small and b) next gen development costs are extremely high.

Especially a new IP. Something big like FF or MGS can get away with being exclusive cause they're guaranteed high sales, but is HR?
darkmario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darkmario123
Member since 2006 • 1156 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised when the game sells 1 copy.
TheBigDrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 TheBigDrat
Member since 2006 • 744 Posts
i thought i heard somewhere HR was multiplat, i could be mistaken
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 asdasd

I love how everytime a dev says soemthing good about the PS3, I always see people saying "Sony payed them!" :lol: Can't you people just accept the PS3 is the most powerful console?Not-A-Stalker

Hey, I mainly like the PS3 the most, but I still dont believe that a third party dev would make a game with their own free will exclusive to a console at this day and age. Its just too expensive, especially for Quantic Dream. Their games dont sell well, but they are amazing.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the-very-best
[QUOTE="XenogearsMaster"]

[QUOTE="the-very-best"]I thought Heavy Rain was multiplat though? Was that just a rumour or are QD making another game for the PS3?asdasd

Not sure about HR, but the latest news was that they were making a brand new game for the PS3. (They said it wasnt HR)

Edit: Heres the link.

During E3 ?

No, it will be a little bit later than E3, a show relatively important for japanese people, if you see what I mean. So not far from now. There is still no official confirmation that this game is HR.

I messed it up. They havent announced the game, but its rumored to be HR.

According to GS, QD are making a game called Omikron 2.

It says it's exclusive, but it has "working title" so it could just be another game entirely.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
While I doubt that QD was paid for this, I have a hard time believing that this sort of make-nice PR isn't done at the behest of their masters, whether Sony or MS.
demoralizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 demoralizer
Member since 2002 • 2023 Posts

Stop playing the power card the only thing Sony has proved with PS3 is it's the most expensive. Watching movies at E3 proves nothing. Even on paper people will tell you the PS3 isn't leaps and bounds more powerful then 360. Telling us about powerful and then telling us to wait isn't going over very well.

Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Metroid_Time
Member since 2006 • 2225 Posts
If they simply wanted the most pwoerful systems they would've kept it on the PC as well. No, they were paid by Sony but the thing is I don't think this game will be a system seller.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mordred19

[QUOTE="Not-A-Stalker"]I love how everytime a dev says soemthing good about the PS3, I always see people saying "Sony payed them!" :lol: Can't you people just accept the PS3 is the most powerful console?the-very-best

Sony probably did pay them. It doesn't make sense to release an exclusive so early on in the console's life because a) the userbase is still small and b) next gen development costs are extremely high.

Especially a new IP. Something big like FF or MGS can get away with being exclusive cause they're guaranteed high sales, but is HR?

4 million potential sales isn't good enough? we need to look at things from a bigger perspective. The PS3 may be in last place, but 4 million in consumers hand's is A LOT. Just because it's less in comparison to the competition doesn't really effect the quality of the game, does it? If the game is really good, it will sell really well on one platform.

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

Sony threw em a check. They can say "We dont pay for exclusives" , but who actually believed that..?

asdasd

Me as I have yet to see proof of them paying off third parties this generation. Microsoft on the otherhand pretty much paid for GTA4 development just to get exclusive extras.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

[QUOTE="Not-A-Stalker"]I love how everytime a dev says soemthing good about the PS3, I always see people saying "Sony payed them!" :lol: Can't you people just accept the PS3 is the most powerful console?Mordred19

4 million potential sales isn't good enough? we need to look at things from a bigger perspective. The PS3 may be in last place, but 4 million in consumers hand's is A LOT. Just because it's less in comparison to the competition doesn't really effect the quality of the game, does it? If the game is really good, it will sell really well on one platform.

and if its not a great game its a bigger lose for the developers. its abit of a risk

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised when the game sells 1 copy.darkmario123

You mean like Virtua Quest?

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the-very-best

Mordred19

Nah, a lot of fantastic games sell poorly. Look at SOTC. Exclusive, massive userbase on PS2, and still sold poorly even though it's an awesome game.

Out of that 4 million, I think the majority would choose another more popular series over HR if they were released at the same time. HR being exclusive has Sony's cash payments to QD written all over it.

And of course the game will be great cause QD are talented, but I don't expect it to sell well.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

In all seriousness... Why do you people even care if they are paying for any 3rd party? Are you happy with the news of Quantic Dreams working on the PS3? If yes, isn't that more then enough...

Hell if true, let them continue. This will only benefit PS3 users in the long run.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mordred19
[QUOTE="Mordred19"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]

[QUOTE="Not-A-Stalker"]I love how everytime a dev says soemthing good about the PS3, I always see people saying "Sony payed them!" :lol: Can't you people just accept the PS3 is the most powerful console?lawlessx

and if its not a great game its a bigger lose for the developers. its abit of a risk

then it's a huge risk if you flop on two platforms

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mordred19
[QUOTE="Mordred19"]

the-very-best

Nah, a lot of fantastic games sell poorly. Look at SOTC. Exclusive, massive userbase on PS2, and still sold poorly even though it's an awesome game.

Out of that 4 million, I think the majority would choose another more popular series over HR if they were released at the same time. HR being exclusive has Sony's cash payments to QD written all over it.

And of course the game will be great cause QD are talented, but I don't expect it to sell well.

so what's the difference if it's great on two platforms and sells poorly on two platforms? two poor sales numbers are better than one? how depressing.

Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts

[QUOTE="Not-A-Stalker"]I love how everytime a dev says soemthing good about the PS3, I always see people saying "Sony payed them!" :lol: Can't you people just accept the PS3 is the most powerful console?asdasd

Hey, I mainly like the PS3 the most, but I still dont believe that a third party dev would make a game with their own free will exclusive to a console at this day and age. Its just too expensive, especially for Quantic Dream. Their games dont sell well, but they are amazing.

So if their game isn't going to sell good, spending more money to port it to another system probably won't help that much.

And as much as everyone wants to think that all devs are money hungry, there are still those honorable developers that don't care about money, and make games for the gamer, not the profits. See: Team Ninja, Kojima, Epic, ect.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
Heavy Rain is multi? Sweet, wasn't expecting that
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the-very-best

so what's the difference if it's great on two platforms and sells poorly on two platforms? two poor sales numbers are better than one? how depressing.

Mordred19

Well if they made it for 360 too they'd have a 11 million userbase + PS3's 3 million.

It would still sell poorly on both systems, but it would sell more than if it were just on one system, and it'd probably make more profits for QD, so like I said, I think Sony is paying them.

Is it such a bad thing if they are paying them btw? I don't see what's wrong with that, it's good that Sony is working hard. That's how I see it.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mordred19
if excellent, underrated games don't sell well, than shouldn't they be advertised better? maybe some well-placed hype?
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 asdasd

Heavy Rain is multi? Sweet, wasn't expecting thatHeil68

No one really knows yet. They havent announced what the PS3 exclusive that they are working on. Its heavily rumored to be Heavy Rain.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mordred19
[QUOTE="Mordred19"]

the-very-best

Well if they made it for 360 too they'd have a 11 million userbase + PS3's 3 million.

It would still sell poorly on both systems, but it would sell more than if it were just on one system, and it'd probably make more profits for QD, so like I said, I think Sony is paying them.

Is it such a bad thing if they are paying them btw? I don't see what's wrong with that, it's good that Sony is working hard. That's how I see it.

I still would dearly like to believe that there is at least one game company that plays things the hard way (ie: earn loyalty, rather than buy it, if there is such a thing)

so excuse me while I cover my ears and sing very loudly

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

[QUOTE="the-very-best"]I thought Heavy Rain was multiplat though? Was that just a rumour or are QD making another game for the PS3?XenogearsMaster

heavy rain is Multi?? Sweet!
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Heavy Rain is multi? Sweet, wasn't expecting thatasdasd

No one really knows yet. They havent announced what the PS3 exclusive that they are working on. Its heavily rumored to be Heavy Rain.

why would it be heavy Rain when that game has already been announced?

XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 XenogearsMaster

Heavy Rain is multi? Sweet, wasn't expecting thatHeil68

It's PS3exclusive.

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 asdasd
[QUOTE="asdasd"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Heavy Rain is multi? Sweet, wasn't expecting thatlawlessx

why would it be heavy Rain when that game has already been announced?

They can announce it as exclusive. Thats why. :P

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the-very-best

I still would dearly like to believe that there is at least one game company that plays things the hard way (ie: earn loyalty, rather than buy it, if there is such a thing)

so excuse me while I cover my ears and sing very loudly

Mordred19

Fair enough.

I would say something like Soul Calibur 3 was chosen as a PS2 exclusive by the devs rather than Sony paying them, cause that was late in the console's life.

But I personally don't think a company would choose to make a new IP like HR exclusive to PS3 but who knows? It's possible I suppose.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 the-very-best

if excellent, underrated games don't sell well, than shouldn't they be advertised better? maybe some well-placed hype?Mordred19

Of course, but most companies will choose to advertise the more popular series further in hope of a breakout success which could turn in more profits than advertising a new IP which doesn't really have any casual appeal whatsoever.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mordred19

[QUOTE="Mordred19"]if excellent, underrated games don't sell well, than shouldn't they be advertised better? maybe some well-placed hype?the-very-best

Of course, but most companies will choose to advertise the more popular series further in hope of a breakout success which could turn in more profits than advertising a new IP which doesn't really have any casual appeal whatsoever.

the vicious cycle which beats down the underdog...