PSN to be better than XBL?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Maddog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -Maddog-
Member since 2007 • 882 Posts
10 Reasons why

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

number 9...psn started at around the same time xbl did.....

fool :roll:

not just on the ps3, it was out since the ps2.

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

He repeats the same point twice, and it was said by a sony exec that PSN may not always be free.

Folding@home hardly makes it better than XBL, ibought my system for games, not to cure cancer.Background downloading also works on XBL.And 2-3 of the features he lists still arent available(Music, Vidoe on demand)

And didnt Sony have an online service in the days on the PS2?

No offence, but those arent really good reasons

Kestastrophe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kestastrophe
Member since 2005 • 4354 Posts

He repeats the same point twice, and it was said by a sony exec that PSN may not always be free.

Folding@home hardly makes it better than XBL, ibought my system for games, not to cure cancer.Background downloading also works on XBL.And 2-3 of the features he lists still arent available(Music, Vidoe on demand)

whocares4peace

I agree with this post.

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts

whocares4peace

Now won't you feel like a fool when you or someone you know finds out they have Diabetes or MS, or some form of cancer?

That really is quite selfish of you. I fold regularly. When I sleep, and when I am not using my PS3. (on a side note, My PS3 is running like a champ! I LOVE IT!)

It's been on constantly for the past like.. week or so. and its chugging a long perfectly! Anyway.. back to the topic at ahnd..

Yeah, I agree that the PSN will probably be at least just as good as XBL in a year or so. give or take. At least comparable enough that people aren't going to feel like they are missing out with one or the other.
H3llstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 H3llstrike
Member since 2006 • 1877 Posts
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

0rin

Now won't you feel like a fool when you or someone you know finds out they have Diabetes or MS, or some form of cancer?

That really is quite selfish of you. I fold regularly. When I sleep, and when I am not using my PS3. (on a side note, My PS3 is running like a champ! I LOVE IT!)

It's been on constantly for the past like.. week or so. and its chugging a long perfectly! Anyway.. back to the topic at ahnd..

Yeah, I agree that the PSN will probably be at least just as good as XBL in a year or so. give or take. At least comparable enough that people aren't going to feel like they are missing out with one or the other.

Hey Orin I agree, my mother has MS and if this guy had a family member with such a disease he would not says such things not cool guy.
Reyes360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Reyes360
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
[QUOTE="0rin"][QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

H3llstrike

Hey Orin I agree, my mother has MS and if this guy had a family member with such a disease he would not says such things not cool guy.

agreed very bad and my mom has a form of it too. Its something that just hits you one day out of the blue.

H3llstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 H3llstrike
Member since 2006 • 1877 Posts
Hey I'm sorry to hear that Reyes360 my mother has had it for about ten years it's awful but the younger you are when you get it the worst. My prayers will be with your mom...Sorry to be so off topic btw.
Stall0wn3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stall0wn3d
Member since 2007 • 621 Posts

toxicmog
there was no psn until ps3 came out. they had no system like they do now, there was no buddies, friends, nothing like that. it was just servers developers put up and you connected, thats it. the reason they do have it now is because of XBL, thats one good thing MS has done, make online console gaming halfway decent, even though theycharge.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
I think the biggest factor setting PSN and XBL apart is Home. Soon PSN will have cross game invites and messaging. But Home is an entirely new application to online community and gaming for consoles (having many features Live doesn't).
BoD_GOA_French

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 BoD_GOA_French
Member since 2006 • 971 Posts

toxicmog

There was no PSN until the PS3 came around. You can't say the PS2 had a online "Service", some games had online play, thats it!

Fool :roll:

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Episode_Eve
[QUOTE="H3llstrike"][QUOTE="0rin"][QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

Reyes360

agreed very bad and my mom has a form of it too. Its something that just hits you one day out of the blue.

Folding@home is awesome :D. I'll continue to do that and pray for anyone with any disease for that matter. It's cool, because we're actually helping even though we're not scientists or doctors :).

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 0rin
I think the biggest factor setting PSN and XBL apart is Home. Soon PSN will have cross game invites and messaging. But Home is an entirely new application to online community and gaming for consoles (having many features Live doesn't).Episode_Eve

To me, home seems far more social, and "friendly", than XBL. To put it in laymans terms

XBL is a regualr internet gaming forum, where as the PSN/Home seems more like a hybrid Myspace for gaming, with an interactive element far beyond that of XBL. PSH is not just a place where you talk to your friends, but its a place where you meet new friends as well. sort of .. an interactive XBL/menu. It's looking pretty rad. Haters mock it for its "pop/metro" exterior, where as it is FAR more in-depth than that. I personally can't wait to hop in. :D
Limbutus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Limbutus
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts
Yes.
jt8b2z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jt8b2z
Member since 2005 • 7189 Posts
lol, at no.7
CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

lol @ the melodramatic teenagers in here going on about Home and how there changing teh world day by day by foldin@@@

Yeah, right. You buy a console to play games that's all the other guy was trying to say, i didn't see the ps3 and think WOW CURE CANCER? I'M SOLD@@

Cause it doesn't help anyway, wont see any major results from it gaurenteed.

---

With that said and done PSN could be just as good as XBL, it's not like it's hard..just provide everything XBL has. Course Sony seems to be going in another direction, seems like it'll appeal to the myspace crowd, which, thankfully, isn't me.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Episode_Eve

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]I think the biggest factor setting PSN and XBL apart is Home. Soon PSN will have cross game invites and messaging. But Home is an entirely new application to online community and gaming for consoles (having many features Live doesn't).0rin

To me, home seems far more social, and "friendly", than XBL. To put it in laymans terms

XBL is a regualr internet gaming forum, where as the PSN/Home seems more like a hybrid Myspace for gaming, with an interactive element far beyond that of XBL. PSH is not just a place where you talk to your friends, but its a place where you meet new friends as well. sort of .. an interactive XBL/menu. It's looking pretty rad. Haters mock it for its "pop/metro" exterior, where as it is FAR more in-depth than that. I personally can't wait to hop in. :D

I completely agree.

DanC1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 DanC1989
Member since 2004 • 50952 Posts
I doubt it, you usually get what you pay for in life.
akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts

horrible list

it isn't gonna convince anyone

PSN is always gonna be one step behind XBL

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whocares4peace
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

0rin

Hmm, lets see

Cure Cancer?

Or leave a system on for hours and waste electricity.

I'll prefer the latter.

My dad has diabetes, and i honestly believe leaving a game system on will not cure it.If i want to help out, I'll donate to charity, ill volunteer to help others.

And this is all off topic, how does Folding@Home improve your GAME experience?

metallica_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 metallica_one
Member since 2004 • 966 Posts
that is a really really bad list. XBL is better than PSN and will probly always be it. even with home, which people are having compains about after the confrance. looked weak.
0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 0rin

wow. I am just apalled by what these guys are saying. forget the PS3.. forget the 360... you guys just..

Nevermind. I'm not going to touch this thread again. I have lost a little more faith in mankind today. You guys actually make me sick. This thread went from a silly system wars thread, to .. something entirely different. Whatever.

IbukiNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IbukiNinja
Member since 2007 • 878 Posts

whocares4peace

It's free and it will remain that way. It's sad that you actually want PSN to cost money just to claim ownage. Also, you should think twice about how you approach the topic of cancer. That is dealing with lives. Real ones that you don't get a continue or extra man from.

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 whocares4peace
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

IbukiNinja

It's free and it will remain that way. It's sad that you actually want PSN to cost money just to claim ownage. Also, you should think twice about how you approach the topic of cancer. That is dealing with lives. Real ones that you don't get a continue or extra man from.

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/5881/sony-says-psn-may-not-always-be-free/

Can you say owned?I suggest next time you think before accusing me of lying.

And I'm not saying Folding@Home is a bad thing, but it in no way adds to your game experience. And games are why i buy systems.

Kestastrophe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kestastrophe
Member since 2005 • 4354 Posts
[QUOTE="IbukiNinja"][QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

whocares4peace

And I'm not saying Folding@Home is a bad thing, but it in no way adds to your game experience. And games are why i buy systems.

I agree. Folding@home is a nice perk, but in no way would it make me singlehandedly buy a PS3.

boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 boyinfridge
Member since 2006 • 1796 Posts

All the cows out there are screaming on about Home and banging on that its free but what no one is saying is you will have to buy (iepay) for new clothes and cool things to have in your oh so cool apartments, true you dont have to, but if anyone has ever been on the sites that home is expanding onpeople will not talk to you or they willtease you if you still sport the default clothes.

Home is just a backdoor tax for PSN

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I'm leaning more and more in favour of PSN because its free, Wii's internet is free too but its very poorly supported.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

wow. I am just apalled by what these guys are saying. forget the PS3.. forget the 360... you guys just..

Nevermind. I'm not going to touch this thread again. I have lost a little more faith in mankind today. You guys actually make me sick. This thread went from a silly system wars thread, to .. something entirely different. Whatever.

0rin

I agree, everyone is so mean. How dare you not buy a PS3, leave it on, waste electricity. Or wait, maybe i could donate the money i save from not buying a PS3 and donate it which would probably far outway the amount raised by folding@home.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

wait how can PSN be better when it's always playing catch up to XBL??

everytime PSN get 1 new feature, then XBL adds 3 more features. I really don't see how that's "better" in the long run.

As for folding it's a nice gesture, but probably about as useful as praying.

Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

All the cows out there are screaming on about Home and banging on that its free but what no one is saying is you will have to buy (iepay) for new clothes and cool things to have in your oh so cool apartments, true you dont have to, but if anyone has ever been on the sites that home is expanding onpeople will not talk to you or they willtease you if you still sport the default clothes.

Home is just a backdoor tax for PSN

boyinfridge

There are already tons of default clothes and furniture. There will be more free downloadable clothes and furniture. There are clothes and furniture to be opened up by purchasing a game or achieving something in the game.

That's hardly taxing when you're getting more than you're paying for, which is either nothing or very little.

player_leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 player_leo
Member since 2002 • 1483 Posts

My response is as follows:

1. Playstation HOME. Home offers a rich avatar graphical interface for player interaction, activities, and trophies. Oh and can't forget the posh apartments.You have to pay for everything like fake T.V. or fake clothes. I don't want to walk across town to download something or meet with friends.

2. Downloadable retro Playstation content (i.e. PS1 games).All three systems do this already. Nintendo Wii having the best library.

3. FREE, FREE, FREE! The PSN is completely free unlike Xbox LIVE.Yeah, it's free.... for now. No telling if Sony will start charging for PSN service later. Putting out a service like this for free is great, but it's like a gas station giving out free gas. Eventually it will got out of business.

3. Introduced downloadable multitasking/background downloading.Nothing new. XBL already does it. When M$ comes out with the next update, don't worry $ony will be right behind them to take that same idea.

4. Integrated web browser with the PSN store set up similarly for a layout that most internet gamers are familiar with. PSN thereby branches out from its own system to the world wide web (gosh, that's so 1995).Note* 90% of the internet is porn. What will you be doing when you can browse the internet from your T.V.......? :shock:

5. Future integration of Video On Demand, Music on Demand, Singstar.$ony has made many promises, what make you sure this is one they'll keep. On top of that XBL offers movies, shows, music videos to download right now. Try hooking the 360 to Media Center, that rocks.

6. Easier and cheaper access to the network for Wi-fiers. All PS3s come standard with wireless capability, whereas it costs $99 for a 360 (yes I shelled out the cash for my xbox)Might want to double check PS3 fourms that say "How do I get on line on the PS3?" It's not as easy as one might think. Yes to go wireless you'd have to pay $99. Still Xbox360 $400 + Wireless $99 = $499

player_leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 player_leo
Member since 2002 • 1483 Posts

7. Folding@Home. Using the power of the PS3 and the PSN users can contribute to the understanding and possible cure of diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and MS. Come on, PSN should win hands down for this humanitarian effort.Score one for $ony. You can look at this as one big tax right off, but hats off to Sony for using their processing power for a good cause. Vijay Pande, who runs the Stanford project said "It turns two years into one month, and that's a huge thing for us,"

8. Frequent firmware updates. Some might gawk at frequency and like only the large chunky and infrequent updates from MSoft. But the slow yet steady addition of new bits and bobs is fun.M$ soft does this already. How many more free updates can $ony do before they realise that they are losing money.

9. PSN has already accomplished much of what LIVE has done/has in 9 months. LIVE has existed for nearly 5 years (circa 2002).PSN has been around since the Network Adapter came out on PS2, but is was nothing but servers mostly for Socom, nothing like it is now. They accomplished a lot in a short time because they copied everything XBL has worked hard for the past 5 years.

10. Free. Oh wait I already said that... oh well, it's a biggy.Get it while it's free. Either they start charging or they will bottom out. $ony can not afford to do this for the next 5 years.

That's my opinion. Take it anyway you want.

xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xDonRobx
Member since 2007 • 1586 Posts

wait how can PSN be better when it's always playing catch up to XBL??

everytime PSN get 1 new feature, then XBL adds 3 more features. I really don't see how that's "better" in the long run.

As for folding it's a nice gesture, but probably about as useful as praying.

jrhawk42

What features are you talking about? XBL hasn't added 3 features everytime PSN gets 1.

That must be the fanboy in you talkin, oh well.

vegetattack15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 vegetattack15
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts

horrible list

it isn't gonna convince anyone

PSN is always gonna be one step behind XBL

akif22

You can't say what will always be, everybody use to think Nintendo would be on top forever in the NES days. Anything could happen, a new company could come out tomorrow and in six months dominate, you just don't know.

Back on topic, I have a PS3, personally I don't care if its better or not. It looks fun, so I'll give it a try.

meischris39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#37 meischris39
Member since 2004 • 5432 Posts

I doubt that the PSN will surpass Xbox Live significantly maybe a couple small features are better on once platform or the other but they will pretty much stay equal with each other to be honest. Microsoft should in theory be evolving the platform significantly due to the revenue brought in by subscription fees but it seems they aren't. Shame.

EDIT - Why are people taking credit away from the fact the PSN is free and it already includes many of the features of a $40 a year service. And in response to all the people who keep bringing up the link which says 'PSN might not always be free' for the time being an in my oppinion for many years to come it is free so that is a credible point against XBL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Those reasons look like they were written by a 4th grader. Most of them are pointless, some are repeats, and none of them are significant. Folding? Are you kidding me?
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

0rin

He never said the folding@home was downright a bad idea, but when purchasing a console, it isn't a deciding factor that will make or break someone on the fence of PS3 or xbox 360.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
PSN has a big hill to climb to take out XBL
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts

How's Virtua Fighter 5 online?

meischris39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 meischris39

PSN has a big hill to climb to take out XBLHeil68

But how, what features does PSN not have that XBL does have that warrant a $40 a year subscription.

IbukiNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 IbukiNinja
Member since 2007 • 878 Posts
[QUOTE="IbukiNinja"][QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

whocares4peace

I never said the PR guy said it. Actually I knew he did. The point was for you to bring it up as if you're happy that it could cost.

hello12367890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hello12367890
Member since 2005 • 977 Posts
tell me how easy is it to go and find a game and actually play with your friends
hello12367890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hello12367890
Member since 2005 • 977 Posts
tell me how easy is it to go and find a game and actually play with your friends
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
Pretty much all of those are just things it needs to catch up to live... regular updates.. video on demand... live has all that already. The only thing PSN has over live is the free-ness; everything else live takes the biscuit.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ninja-Vox

[QUOTE="Heil68"]PSN has a big hill to climb to take out XBLmeischris39

But how, what features does PSN not have that XBL does have that warrant a $40 a year subscription.

I have both, and happily pay for Live. The only people to compare the two are platstation owners who've never played xbox live and cant see how it can be any better. Simple as that.

meischris39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 meischris39
[QUOTE="meischris39"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"]PSN has a big hill to climb to take out XBLNinja-Vox

I have both, and happily pay for Live. The only people to compare the two are platstation owners who've never played xbox live and cant see how it can be any better. Simple as that.

I find it funny how people can't give one prominent feature that makes XBL worth the $40 they simply say 'it just is its better'.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ninja-Vox

I find it funny how people can't give one prominent feature that makes XBL worth the $40 they simply say 'it just is its better'.

meischris39

I find it funny how fanboys go on about how PSN is just as good as Live when they clearly haven't played anything on xbox live. :|

You want features? Fine. On PSN, a game only runs well if the publisher of that game invests in servers a la Resistance. On xbox live, all games run just fine. You dont have to worry whether or not the developers have paid for servers on whatever game; you know that you have a broadband connection and that you'll be able to play.

Also on servers, as they're so expensive, they're always either shut down or moved to another game when the number of games is low. Not on live. So long as other people are playing, that game will ALWAYS be open for matches.

Friends. I can press the guide button at any moment, in any game, movie, whatever and see all of my friends. It tells me what they're doing right down to what street they're on in Crackdown. What map they're playing, whether there's room for me to join it, everything. I can compare my game collection with absolutely anybody else's on xbox live, with a side-by-side comparison of progress and achievements.

I can be playing any game, have a friend playing another game or DVD, and i can send them an invite to come play my game. They accept, put in the disc, and they're taken straight to the lobby of my game. That is awesome.

There are also regular dashboard updates adding new features along with oodles of content on the marketplace from hundreds of demos to all the trailers and movies you find on gametrailers.com, to a whole video on demand service like iTunes has.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
PSH is not just a place where you talk to your friends, but its a place where you meet new friends as well. 
0rin
Except that I already have a place where I can talk to my friends, or even meet new ones.  It's called a bar.  What need - or even want - does Home fulfill?