deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Well it looks like I may finish Bloodborne afterall! This mode is rumored to boost the framerate of older PS4 games that do not have a "Pro patch." From the looks of it, there may still be compatibility issues with certain games, but something is better than nothing!

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

This is not going to melt and fry my ps4 pro is it? It already runs hot at default.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

If I buy two PS4's and connect them with a USB cable I can run games twice as fast right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

That's a very cool new feature. :)

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

@1080pOnly said:

If I buy two PS4's and connect them with a USB cable I can run games twice as fast right?

Indeed. You may want to hook up a couple of PS3s too so you can cure cancer thanks to the power of the Cell.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

@LordQuorthon said:
@1080pOnly said:

Indeed. You may want to hook up a couple of PS3s too so you can cure cancer thanks to the power of the Cell.

Yeah great idea! I see a special kind of unused expansion port on my fat 60gb PS3, I can rig an ethernet from it - so that has the backwards compatability hardware in it meaning I get a PS2 x a PS3 x 2PS4 = 2 x 3 x 8 = 48x gamespeed and FPS rates whilst curing cancer. 120 FPS, 1080p in 4D ain't a dream anymore baby.

Thanks Sony.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

hmmmm, didn't see that coming.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Desmonic
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Hmm. If true and if it works correctly this could change my mind later down the line about upgrading to a Pro. Right now I'm firmly in the "NOPE!" camp.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

But wait... i thought it wasn't fair to offer 60fps to Pro owners. What happened to that, Sony?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44238 Posts

Darn, darn, darn, darn... I was hoping this update offered the duel 4K at 240 fps in 4D mode for the older games. Oh well, maybe the next update. lol :P

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

"Please turn it off when an unexpected action occurs during gameplay"

My guess is its not going to work universally or perfectly. Might be worth pulling the reins back on any excitement for a bit.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@1080pOnly said:
@LordQuorthon said:
@1080pOnly said:

Yeah great idea! I see a special kind of unused expansion port on my fat 60gb PS3, I can rig an ethernet from it - so that has the backwards compatability hardware in it meaning I get a PS2 x a PS3 x 2PS4 = 2 x 3 x 8 = 48x gamespeed and FPS rates whilst curing cancer. 120 FPS, 1080p in 4D ain't a dream anymore baby.

Thanks Sony.

lmao

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Darn, darn, darn, darn... I was hoping this update offered the duel 4K at 240 fps in 4D mode for the older games. Oh well, maybe the next update. lol :P

Be patient Lemming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yes, this is good

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

hmmmmm. This might change my mind about not getting one. I'm fine turning it off if it causes problems for a couple of my titles. With modern game engines, most games do not have game speed tied to render speed, and thus shouldn't do anything wacky if framerate improves.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic: that warning reminds me of the fast load /upscale options the PSP and PS3 had for playing ps1 games. Fortunately that worked great for most games i tried, so hopefully this is just Sony being cautious?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20182 Posts

Well this certainly sounds like good news. But it could mess with some games based on that warning. I have a pro so I would love to get a boost in some games I own.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44238 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Be patient Lemming.

Unlike you diseased mad cows....

Lems are always marching along happy and never get sick therefore are never a patient but patience on the other hand we don't need since MS is constantly one upping Phony Bore and Poo constantly delivering the best of the best sir being for the gamers, by the gamers, jazz. lolol :P

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@goldenelementxl: How in the world can you consider yourself a repectable gamer if a simply thing like fps can stop you from playing a game like bloodbourne

Your the type that cant read a paragraph if a letter was wrong in each word.Name your fav game ever and tell me you wuddnt play it if it had the minor framerate issues bloodbourne had

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Very good........PS4 Pro looks better and better every day.

KnightofAstora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KnightofAstora
Member since 2017 • 39 Posts

Just to temper people's expectations, this mode will help older games which suffer from frame drops to get better performance, if a game is struggling to hit 30 fps then this will help it to do it, same thing for 60 fps.

Anyways, this is a great feature, can't wait for DF to test it.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@1080pOnly said:

Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@Livecommander said:

@goldenelementxl: How in the world can you consider yourself a repectable gamer if a simply thing like fps can stop you from playing a game like bloodbourne

Your the type that cant read a paragraph if a letter was wrong in each word.Name your fav game ever and tell me you wuddnt play it if it had the minor framerate issues bloodbourne had

I made it through your post just fine.

I enjoy Bloodborne. I go back to it every so often. But I have to admit the fps issues bother me. ESPECIALLY in a game that demands precision. But my backlog and the amount of good games that keep coming out are as much to blame for me not finishing Bloodborne.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

you've got boost power

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7716 Posts

before you get worked up: A) It will not fix frame pacing in bloodborne B) it will not make it 60fps either

Overall it's great to hear and it might be a nice boost for games that have trouble hitting their destined framerate and havent gotten pro patch

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts

Not gonna bother with it if it's not guaranteed to function properly. And I'd prefer proper 60FPS.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

It is probably going to be one of those features that help games that run dynamic resolutions/games with frame drops more then anything. Kind of like the S does for Xbox, but should be able to do it better because of the extra horsepower.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

I'll keep an eye out on this. Because right now, the pro does nothing for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts

Will games actually be 60 fps now?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xantufrog  Moderator

@phantomfire335: no. That would require a patch for games. But it would help unpatched games hold to their framerate target

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xantufrog  Moderator

here's an example, courtesy of Desmonic

Loading Video...

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Hell yeah, can't friggin wait for it!

Edit: Should be called beast mode hur hur hur hur hur.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

@Wasdie said:
@1080pOnly said:

Yes.

Are you serious.......??lol

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17454 Posts

Will it be out of the box or will devs have to patch it?

Thats the important question.

From the post it seems like based on dev support.

And why turn it off? What kind of problems does it cause?

Why cant it just work like Xbox One S?

If it works for all games with no patching needed then im sold. Thats the only thing i wanted.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@AtariKidX said:
@Wasdie said:
@1080pOnly said:

Yes.

Are you serious.......??lol

It has to be a $200 Monster USB cable though.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Maybe they should also add a boost mode to the pro mode. LOL

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@navyguy21 said:

If it works for all games with no patching needed then im sold. Thats the only thing i wanted.

Huh? This is explicitly about a feature providing performance boosts to games WITHOUT a patch / dev support (hence the risk of unexpected performance issues). The reason you would want to turn it off is some games actually have physics and other things tied to their framerate, and so if a big change occurs they could start to act funky. This is - near as I can tell - exactly like what you have with the X1S, except it comes with a toggle to turn it off. This is likely only worthwhile for the Pro and not the X1S because a) the pro is more likely to push performance out of the intended bounds (the S is, really, only a teensy bit more powerful than the base system) and b) Sony is presumably wanting to hedge against that by enabling the user to revert to PS4 performance in the random odd instance where it is an issue. If they don't provide the toggle, and some game is "broken" on the Pro, it would cause a ruckus. This way they can prevent any game from being broken by enabling us to operate like the coders originally intended if there is some issue

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 navyguy21

@xantufrog said:
@navyguy21 said:

Huh? This is explicitly about a feature providing performance boosts to games WITHOUT a patch / dev support (hence the risk of unexpected performance issues). The reason you would want to turn it off is some games actually have physics and other things tied to their framerate, and so if a big change occurs they could start to act funky. This is - near as I can tell - exactly like what you have with the X1S, except it comes with a toggle to turn it off. This is likely only worthwhile for the Pro and not the X1S because a) the pro is more likely to push performance out of the intended bounds (the S is, really, only a teensy bit more powerful than the base system) and b) Sony is presumably wanting to hedge against that by enabling the user to revert to PS4 performance in the random odd instance where it is an issue. If they don't provide the toggle, and some game is "broken" on the Pro, it would cause a ruckus. This way they can prevent any game from being broken by enabling us to operate like the coders originally intended if there is some issue

What you just said doesnt make any sense.

This mode isnt increasing frame rates or resolution, its just giving more power to stabilize games.

Moreover, games are hard coded with a framerate unless the dev elects to leave it unlocked.

Regardless, the physics are always hardcoded.

This mode SHOULD merely allow games to run at the intended framerate without being limited by hardware.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@navyguy21:

@navyguy21 said:

This mode isnt increasing frame rates or resolution, its just giving more power to stabilize games.

Yes, that's what it is for. And that IS what I am referring to. But...

@navyguy21 said:

Moreover, games are hard coded with a framerate unless the dev elects to leave it unlocked.

No - framerates are hardcoded with either a CAP or unlocked. They can dip below the cap (and do frequently). That's the benefit of this feature, and the benefit of the X1S.

And yes, in the cases where they leave it unlocked... that's exactly the situation Sony is probably worried about. Take Dishonored - when I got that game on PC I had an ancient 9800GT. My framerate was - 50s or something. When upgrading to an R7 260X and leaving it unlocked it could wander up to 200+ FPS! Now... imagine if physics or other aspects of the game were tied to framerate, and had been designed assuming a maximum 60 - that could be gamebreaking. Fortunately, it isn't. But some games... some games are designed around the performance of the target console

@navyguy21 said:

That statement doesn't mean anything. Physics and other game clocks can be tied to framerate and hardware clocks - or not. Go back and emulate a DOS game and crank up the clockspeed and they can run wildly out of control. But some games are coded smartly and this doesn't happen. Most modern game engines avoid this, but some devs to tie aspects of the game pacing to framerate still.

@navyguy21 said:

This mode SHOULD merely allow games to run at the intended framerate without being limited by hardware.

I agree - but again, there are cases where, especially with an unlocked framerate, *some* games could behave oddly and this is what Sony is worried about.

TLDR - this is the X1S feature, but with a toggle in case something weird happens with a small subset of titles that were coded with assumptions about clockspeed or framerate that are now violated

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 navyguy21

@xantufrog said:

@navyguy21:

@navyguy21 said:

@navyguy21 said:

No - framerates are hardcoded with either a CAP or unlocked. They can dip below the cap (and do frequently). That's the benefit of this feature, and the benefit of the X1S.

And yes, in the cases where they leave it unlocked... that's exactly the situation Sony is probably worried about. Take Dishonored - when I got that game on PC I had an ancient 9800GT. My framerate was - 50s or something. When upgrading to an R7 260X and leaving it unlocked it could wander up to 200+ FPS! Now... imagine if physics or other aspects of the game were tied to framerate, and had been designed assuming a maximum 60 - that could be gamebreaking. Fortunately, it isn't. But some games... some games do assume a frame cap.

@navyguy21 said:

That statement doesn't mean anything. Physics and other game clocks can be tied to framerate or not. Go back and emulate a DOS game and crank up the clockspeed and they can run wildly out of control. But some games are coded smartly and this doesn't happen. Most modern game engines avoid this, but some devs to tie aspects of the game pacing to framerate still.

@navyguy21 said:

I agree - but again, there are cases where, especially with an unlocked framerate, *some* games could behave oddly and this is what Sony is worried about.

TLDR - this is the X1S feature, but with a toggle in case something weird happens with a small subset of titles that were coded with assumptions about clockspeed or framerate that are now violated

I agree with everything you said......but console games are fixed.

Even if the framerate is unlocked, the physics wouldnt change.

IF the physics were tied to framerate.........like Tales of Zestiria for example, then sure, it could screw up...........on PC.

Consoles are usually locked at 30, especially if the physics depend on it.

I challenge you to name 1 example where it isnt.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@navyguy21: I don't know if I can - I'm just offering an explanation for why Sony is being cautious. Presumably they know of some games that they think will behave oddly. My bet is - since I agree with you - 99% of people could leave the toggle on and never play a game with a problem. But, IDK - Sony is worried about something...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#43  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17893 Posts

This should have been an option right from the get go. Not using the extra power is fuckin retarded.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Be patient Lemming.

Unlike you diseased mad cows....

Lems are always marching along happy

To THEIR DEATHS !! lol

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 navyguy21

@xantufrog said:

@navyguy21: I don't know if I can - I'm just offering an explanation for why Sony is being cautious. Presumably they know of some games that they think will behave oddly. My bet is - since I agree with you - 99% of people could leave the toggle on and never play a game with a problem. But, IDK - Sony is worried about something...

I know why its an issue for them but this place is full of fanboys and i dont feel like arguing lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@navyguy21: i'm genuinely curious - feel free to pm me if you have some wacky examples or something and you don't want people jumping down your throat for saying something bad about a PS game!

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9558 Posts

@navyguy21 said:
@xantufrog said:

@navyguy21:

@navyguy21 said:

@navyguy21 said:

And yes, in the cases where they leave it unlocked... that's exactly the situation Sony is probably worried about. Take Dishonored - when I got that game on PC I had an ancient 9800GT. My framerate was - 50s or something. When upgrading to an R7 260X and leaving it unlocked it could wander up to 200+ FPS! Now... imagine if physics or other aspects of the game were tied to framerate, and had been designed assuming a maximum 60 - that could be gamebreaking. Fortunately, it isn't. But some games... some games do assume a frame cap.

@navyguy21 said:

That statement doesn't mean anything. Physics and other game clocks can be tied to framerate or not. Go back and emulate a DOS game and crank up the clockspeed and they can run wildly out of control. But some games are coded smartly and this doesn't happen. Most modern game engines avoid this, but some devs to tie aspects of the game pacing to framerate still.

@navyguy21 said:

I agree with everything you said......but console games are fixed.

Even if the framerate is unlocked, the physics wouldnt change.

IF the physics were tied to framerate.........like Tales of Zestiria for example, then sure, it could screw up...........on PC.

Consoles are usually locked at 30, especially if the physics depend on it.

I challenge you to name 1 example where it isnt.

Dark Souls 2 SOTFS.

The game ran at 60 fps, but many of the ingame calculations depended on frame rate -- specifically 30 fps. This had to be patched.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

But thats what a Scorpio will do and that just stupid though!

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By navyguy21

@xantufrog said:

@navyguy21: i'm genuinely curious - feel free to pm me if you have some wacky examples or something and you don't want people jumping down your throat for saying something bad about a PS game!

To simplify, the Pro has 2 GPUs

(before the fanboys jump on me, words from Mark Cerny)

"STANDARD PS4 GAMES WILL PLAY JUST THE SAME UNLESS DEVS PATCH THEM

For the more than 700 or so existing PS4 games, Cerny said the goal was to ensure those titles played smoothly no matter what. That’s why the Pro incorporates an identical GPU. Because the new console has "the old GPU next to a mirror version of itself," Sony can support existing games with a simple trick: "We just turn off the second GPU," he said. Developers can patch these titles to boost graphics and performance in very subtle ways. But unless you have a 4K television, the difference will not be substantial."

So essentially SLI..........on a chip, if you will. (minor difference, but again, im simplifying)

So Sony would need to enable the second GPU, then write code to get both to run in tandem...........and for the games themselves not to notice.

SLI will never work universally, neither will this method.

There will be games that the games are perfect, but it depends on the engine, the physics, open world vs linear, dev coding effeciency, etc.

It will be as patchy as SLI is.

Microsoft just overclocked the XB1S, so the hardware is exactly the same.

Pro has different hardware (GPU setup)

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

This is a nice feature. Gives even more reason to buy a Pro. At least games like Bloodborne will get improved fps just like people have been begging for.

When is this coming?