PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

New rumor. NewPS4 devkits are being sent out to developers.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/01/ps4_details_playstation_4/

Multiple sources have confirmed to VG247 today that a new version of the Orbis kit is now shipping to developers, and that its housed in a normal PC case.

There are to be four versions of the dev kit, we were told. A previous version was essentially just a graphics card. The version shipping now is a modified PC, and the third version, appearing in January, will be close to final spec. A final version will be delivered to developers next summer.

Some US developers attended a disclosure meeting at Sonys offices this week, with a further meeting to take place in the coming weeks. The purpose of the meeting is for Sony to tell studios what the machine is designed to do, to detail hardware and to show a set of presentations.

Our source told us that Sony is only calling the machine Orbis, and is not using the words PlayStation 4 in these meetings at all.

Orbis, we were told today, is based on the AMDs A10 APU series. An APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) is a combined CPU and GPU.

PS4s APU was described today as a derivative of existing A10 hardware. The hardware is based on A10 system and base platform.

The ultimate goal for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with no problem, to create a machine thats powerful enough for today and tomorrows market.

The dev kits have either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will.

The hardware is not being made in Japan, it was said.

When asked if PS4 will have an optical drive, specifically Blu-ray, our source responded: Of course it has. Weve been told the hard drive will be 256Gb as standard, but its not clear if itll be a normal HDD or a solid state drive.

We were told that Sonys aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something very affordable but that isnt a slouch.

The machine has WiFi and Ethernet connectivity and HDMI out. Our source said the was no difference between PlayStation 3 and Orbis input/output.

The UI, however, has been revamped. It was said today that players will now be able to press the PS button mid-game and travel anywhere on the system. An example given was buying DLC from the PS Store mid-game then seamlessly returning to play.

Theyre trying to make it as fluid as possible, our source said.

We were also told that the machine will be designed to accept system and product updates in the background, and that itll always be in standby mode. When you set the console up, we were told, youll be asked if you want to allow background downloads. You can, of course, disallow them.

No details have been given on the pad as yet. Confirmation is expected this month.

Orbis is expected to be announced at an event just before E3 next year.

intredesting.

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Hmmmmm

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22871 Posts

interdesting indeed ;) bring this new generation on!

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
"1080p60 games in 3D" wasn't PS3 gonna do this too? :P "8Gb or 16Gb of RAM" sounds cool though, don't think Elder Scrolls VI will have any problems on PS :D
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Looks great!
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
"We were told that Sonys aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something very affordable but that isnt a slouch." This is all I care about (besides the games that will come naturally). Raw power, without stupid stuff that get the price to teh $599 price tag. =/
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Not going to happen.

1080p60 games in 3D

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 super600  Moderator

"1080p60 games in 3D" wasn't PS3 gonna do this too? :P "8Gb or 16Gb of RAM" sounds cool though, don't think Elder Scrolls VI will have any problems on PS :Dlocopatho

That's system RAM most likely.

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kingpin0114

"We were told that Sonys aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something very affordable but that isnt a slouch." This is all I care about (besides the games that will come naturally). Raw power, without stupid stuff that get the price to teh $599 price tag. =/Giancar

Yea I loved this part as well. Also the UI stuff sounds pretty smooth too. Oh and it sounds like this will have a nice chunk of ram in the final version. Can't wait for next year.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clyde46

Not going to happen.

1080p60 games in 3D

super600
That is a pretty tall order. That's 60FPS per eye.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

It is based on A10 APUs and they want to run games at 1080p at 60fps with 3D enabled. I don't think existing APUs are even remotely powerful enough to do that.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#13 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I'm not buying into any rumors until I see something real.

However this would suggest that Sony might be trying to come out to the market with PS4 first.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Ditching the Cell is the best move they can make. They'll radcially lower production costs, lower heat, lower power consumption, all while increasing power and flexibility of the system.

Honestly this rumor doesn't sound far-fetched. 1080p at 60fps isn't all that difficult to achive with modern GPUs, even budget ones. Dev kits usually have more RAM than the final system, and a 256 gig harddrive sounds kind of like a sweet spot for price/size.

I think in the end we'll still see most games at 720p at 30 FPS. Unlike PCs, developers here only have a fininte amount of resources. If they choose to go 1080p at 60 fps, the games will have to take a hit somewhere. Unlike on the PC where you can make your game look as good as you want within reason and just tell people to throw more hardware at it.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wasdie  Moderator

It is based on A10 APUs and they want to run games at 1080p at 60fps with 3D enabled. I don't think existing APUs are even remotely powerful enough to do that.

hoola

Just becuase it has an A10 APU doesn't mean it can't have a dedicated GPU.

They could also beef up the GPU part of the APU. Just becuase it's based off of something that exists already, doesn't mean it's not subject to modification.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

hoola

All aboard the Sony hype train.

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kingpin0114

Wait a sec, just released that it says Gb instead of GB for the ram. If that isn't a typo then that puts it about the same amount as the WiiU right?

Pretty sure that is just a typo though. No refers to memory as gigabits.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Ditching the Cell is the best move they can make. They'll radcially lower production costs, lower heat, lower power consumption, all while increasing power and flexibility of the system.

Honestly this rumor doesn't sound far-fetched. 1080p at 60fps isn't all that difficult to achive with modern GPUs, even budget ones. Dev kits usually have more RAM than the final system, and a 256 gig harddrive sounds kind of like a sweet spot for price/size.

I think in the end we'll still see most games at 720p at 30 FPS. Unlike PCs, developers here only have a fininte amount of resources. If they choose to go 1080p at 60 fps, the games will have to take a hit somewhere. Unlike on the PC where you can make your game look as good as you want within reason and just tell people to throw more hardware at it.

Wasdie

I also think developers will be unwilling to compromise to get games running at 1080p and 60fps. It would be nice, but I think they'll aim for the same targets they hit this gen, to push visual fidelity and whatnot.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

AMDs A10 GPU is far worst than xbox 360 GPU

That is obviously not PS4, probably something mobile

Using this APU would be like going 5 years back in power comparing to high end cards today

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Weve been told the hard drive will be 256Gb as standard, but its not clear if itll be a normal HDD or a solid state drive.

Kinda has to be an SSD if it's 256GB, doesn't it (although that could be a dev-kit-only thing)? HDD would be 250GB since they'd just be going off the shelf.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Wasdie

How about 720p/60 FPS, or 1080p/30 FPS ?

I personally expect we'll be seeing one of those...

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 super600  Moderator

Wasdie

I'm mostly talking about the 1080P 3D 60fps FPS part which is impossible to acheive.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Let's just hope they have a decent dedicated GPU with that A10

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

[QUOTE="hoola"]

Wasdie

Just becuase it has an A10 APU doesn't mean it can't have a dedicated GPU.

They could also beef up the GPU part of the APU. Just becuase it's based off of something that exists already, doesn't mean it's not subject to modification.

I guess thats true. Never really thought about it having a dedicated GPU. Depending on how well they work together we could see that 1080p at 60fps with 3D.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Using this APU would be like going 5 years back in power comparing to high end cards today

loosingENDS
We were what, 18 replies in before you showed up to spew your blowhole? If anything, xbox720 will be going 5 years back by not wanting to pay licensing fees to use blu-ray and thus sticking to DVD again.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Rocker6

How about 720p/60 FPS, or 1080p/30 FPS ?

I personally expect we'll be seeing one of those...

Those are probably going to be used quite a bit too.

I still think for the absolute best looking games out there you'll see 720p at 30fps.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

super600

I'm mostly talking about the 1080P 3D 60fps FPS part which is impossible to acheive.

Depends on your method of 3D. There is more than one way to do 3D. I know PC's can hit that easily.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
So it's supposed to have 8GB RAM, giving that dev kits need more RAM, I'd say the final will have 4GB RAM since RAM is cheap as chips now.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

loosingENDS

Lol another wrong post from you whats new....
The A10 5800k can run BF3 on low settings at 720p at 67 fps, or at 1680x1050 at 40fps
It can run Crysis 2 with high quality at 720p at 35 fps
Max Payne 3 normal quality at 720p at 49 fps
And the mother of all games the Witcher 2 at 720p full medium settings 32 fps :shock:

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 04dcarraher
Later on the AMD Trinity based APU's are suppose to able to contaminate igp's that are as fast as an AMD 7750 and that only has a 55w TDP very possible in seeing that type of gpu in the APU. A 7750 is well over 4x stronger then the measly PS3 cell+RSX.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clyde46

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

super600

How is it impossible to achieve?
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

clyde46

Modern HDMI connections don't support that much bandwidth. They are capped at 1080p24fps. If you want to bypass that you are going to need to use a D-DVI input or DisplayPort 1.2. Unless Sony expects everyone to buy a new 3D set, Sony will be wise to have 1080p30 for 2D Gaming and 720p30 or 720p60 for 3D gaming. HDMI 1.4 can support that and most TVs out now support upto HDMI1.4
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="super600"]

ShadowDeathX

Modern HDMI connections don't support that much bandwidth. They are capped at 1080p24fps. If you want to bypass that you are going to need to use a D-DVI input or DisplayPort 1.2. Unless Sony expects everyone to buy a new 3D set, Sony will be wise to have 1080p30 for 2D Gaming and 720p30 or 720p60 for 3D gaming. HDMI 1.4 can support that and most TVs out now support upto HDMI1.4

It's more of a cable thing rather than a limitation in hardware. I see. Maybe Sony will start using 3Gb SDI BNC connections :P
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Nice! Bring next gen on.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Nice!

The source confirmed the following things for the PS4:-

- Blu-ray, definitely
- AMD A10 APU series
- 1080p at 60fps (Very nice)
- 8GB or 16GB of RAM (Awesome! But 8GB is more likely)
- 256GB standard hard drive (Unclear whether HDD or SSD)
- Wi-Fi, Ethernet and HDMI port (just like PS3)
- Revamped UI (talking about XMB)

Sounds like a great system! Hopefully they'll make good exclusives for it to warrant my purchase.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

is that good? cus i don't know **** about this sort of stuff.:P

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
So Sony is still betting on the hybrid processor model?
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

i wouldn't dream too much of having games running on UE4 with 1080p/60fps.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 04dcarraher

i wouldn't dream too much of having games running on UE4 with 1080p/60fps.

silversix_
There is a chance of them doing a hybrid crossfire between the APU and another discrete gpu like a 7670.
PillyChickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PillyChickle
Member since 2011 • 745 Posts

An A10? Doesn't sound good, but then I guess it's to be expected with a company that's under financial stress.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

04dcarraher

The A10 5800k can run BF3 on low settings at 720p at 67 fps, or at 1680x1050 at 40fps
And the mother of all games the Witcher 2 at 720p full medium settings 32 fps :shock:

Xbox 360 runs BF3 on high settings in 30fps, which destroys what A10 GPU does

Xbox 360 runs Witcher 2 in 720p and 30fps with more advanced lighting than PC and above medium settings

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Xbox 360 runs Witcher 2 in 720p and 30fps with more advanced lighting than PC and above medium settings

:lol: your so full of it

BF3 on consoles ran the game with many setings below the low settings compared to PC version. BF3 requires a direct x 10 gpu with 512mb of memory, something the 360 cant do.

Also your so delusional about TW2 is really sad. its been explained to you so many times im not going to bother

And to remind you how how ignorant you are about certain things, famous quote from you.

"My PC is not a gaming PC in the sense that does not have a GPU that will run games in playable frame rates, other than that is a DX11 GPU that will run any game in any setting"

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Anyone really expecting 16gb ram is seriously fooling themselves. I think at a max it will be 8GB, there is simply no need for extra RAM. Sure they an throw extra RAM in but to use it up would require extremely large games, which would require extra power from everything else. The next gen benchmark will be Unreal Engine 4, so whatever the requirements are for that to be running at 60fps 1080 with no AA or 2xAA if your lucky and you have the next gen systems.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Nice!

- Blu-ray, definitely
- AMD A10 APU series

Sounds like a great system! Hopefully they'll make good exclusives for it to warrant my purchase.

GamerwillzPS

16GB of RAM would be incredible. That would mean 32 times more RAM than current gen consoles :o

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Nice!

- Blu-ray, definitely
- AMD A10 APU series

PAL360

16GB of RAM would be incredible. That would mean 32 times more RAM than current gen consoles :o

But it's a dev kit. I expect the ps4 and 720 to have 4gb ram.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Nice!

- Blu-ray, definitely
- AMD A10 APU series

PAL360

Yeah that's not gonna happen...
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clyde46

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Are you normally this dumb when interacting with the rest of society?