PS4 is now the second best-selling console of all time.

• 129 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Well deserved, too. The PS4 is a beast. The number one spot is, of course, the PS2. Sony is the undisputed king of consoles. Confirmed.

Inb4 "bu....bu....bu.....mah handhelds!" ;)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-is-now-the-second-best-selling-console-ever/1100-6470987/

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

That's even before it's sunset time period with lower cost and a successor on the market. Pretty sure the PS4 has a good shot of overtaking the PS2 at this rate.

Congrats Sony.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13135 Posts

@Telekill said:

That's even before it's sunset time period with lower cost and a successor on the market. Pretty sure the PS4 has a good shot of overtaking the PS2 at this rate.

Congrats Sony.

Yeah, sales are not slowing down. And when the next price drop hits, it will only bump the sales up even more.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Well deserved. Honestly i don't think Sony could have done any better with the PS4. Great hardware design and a simply insane library of games.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

Agreed. I've really enjoyed playing the SAO and Digimon games released for the PS4, not to mention a most of the third party games look and run pretty decently IMO. Not to mention Sony didn't try and pull any serious stunts unlike Microsoft with the Kinect and pre-launch DRM policies, or Nintendo with their beta version of the Switch AKA the Wii U.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56564 Posts

This was too easy to predict, especially in a era of diminishing returns, which this gen basically defined.

Kudos to Sony's PS4. Rather you like'em or hate'em, they deserve it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56564 Posts

@x_hedon said:
@Telekill said:

Congrats Sony.

Yeah, sales are not slowing down. And when the next price drop hits, it will only bump the sales up even more.

Black Friday & Cyber Monday will boost PS4 sales.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6858 Posts

@davillain- said:
@x_hedon said:
@Telekill said:

Congrats Sony.

Black Friday & Cyber Monday will boost PS4 sales.

Great points. Yea, they'll see a bump then. All platforms should.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44711 Posts

Congrats to Sony for having a great gen.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17892 Posts

As someone who doesn't own a PS4 (but probably will get a PS5 to raid the backlog): well deserved. They basically fixed everything they did wrong with the PS3 and they had an actual focus this time. The console was dev friendly, well designed and offered great bang/buck and it was clearly focused on delivering the best gaming experience it could for its launch price. The marketing was on point and Sony's efforts to build a more effective first and second party last gen paid dividends this gen (though we wont talk about closing down Liverpool....bad Sony). even the controller was a big improvement over the rubbish DS3 of the PS3 (though more improvements there would be good for the PS5).

Nintendo and MS were pretty bad. Nintendo didn't have a clue what to do with the wiiu (the fact so many refer to it as a switch prototype just shows how badly Nintendo went wrong). They actually built a console that could do dual screen gaming well...then decided not to make any games to take advantage of it really. and that reveal...oh god :(.

Switch is doing well (great system too overall) but basically Nintendo had to take a second crack at this gen :S. not good.

MS were offering a less powerful console with a gizmo no one cared about for 100 more bucks than a PS4 at launch...madness. They also decided to curtail first party output so they could focus on services....a very poor decision.

So yeah: fully deserved. At the end of the day the PS4 just offers the most comprehensive package of any console this gen.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7305 Posts

Definitely learnt from early PS3 days. It's well deserved rebooted a great franchise in god of war great exclusives. Only thing that could of been a bit better was multiplayer first party.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

Top 3 best-selling home consoles ever are Sony (PS2, PS4, PS1). PS3, with all its problems, still in the Top 5.

Not bad for a company going up against Nintendo and Microsoft and having made only six products:

• PS1
  • PS2
  • PS3
  • PS4
  • PSP
  • PS Vita

But yes, Meltdown Lemmings and Salty Sheep, tell us how how MS and Nintendo does everything better any time these threads come up. They've defended their company so hard, one would think MS and Nintendo have had flawless runs and have experienced nothing but complete domination and annihilation. MS and Nintendo sure don't have four of the Top 5 home consoles of all time!

Sony is definitely far from perfect, but to achieve what they've done here, something must've been working with gamers. I'll go as far as to say it's a certain brand reliability (for the most part) with familiar features and ecosystem, solid 1st party exclusives, big ass 3rd party, good balance of price vs. power (except for the PS3 at the start), nice amount of discounted sales that occur quite often, and a few avenues of expansive experimentation (streaming, VR, accessories).

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KvallyX

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11279 Posts

It was a great gen for the PS4. They could have been more competitive with the price in the US at least to really boost their numbers up, but I guess the market wasn't so flexible to do that without eating into profits.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19606 Posts

I think this is more of a consequence of Microsoft and Nintendo failing, than Sony actually delivering an excellent console.

I mean...my PS4 is fine, but I'd say that it has a relatively weak library of games and plenty of lengthy droughts. These past couple of years, I've basically only turned on my PS4 for Netflix and the occasional Yakuza game.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45603 Posts

@x_hedon said:
@Telekill said:

Congrats Sony.

I've asked SW at least 2 or 3 times if it will outsell the PS2 and most expressed doubt. Let's see if it happens!

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Hard to beat the PS2.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70683 Posts

Sweet, I am not sure how this means anything to the average gamer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#19  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17946 Posts

If only more sales meant better games. They are still limited by shit hardware. Bring on the next-gen.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@BassMan said:

If only more sales meant better games. They are still limited by shit hardware. Bring on the next-gen.

Next gen aka complaining about console gaming 2.0.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5301 Posts

Not impressed as second place is inferior to first place. I will be impressed if the PS4 sales exceed the PS1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@onesiphorus said:

Not impressed as second place is inferior to first place. I will be impressed if the PS4 sales exceed the PS1.

Literally in the second paragraph of the article:

"As confirmed in July 2019, [...] and combined with the numbers from Q2 of 2019, that brings the total up to 102.8 million units, edging the PS4 past the performance of the original PlayStation."

Reading. What a wonderful thing, eh? ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I was wondering which hardcore cow would post this, and not surprised who did, I mean reduc is a raging fangirl lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Pedro said:

Well, perhaps the average gamer doesn't think about it. But a console creeping up sales-wise on the best selling console of all time in a gen that started out with abundant cries of "console gaming is dead" is, in fact, very meaningful for gamers in general, as it means console gaming is surely far from dead. For Sony fans in particular it's great news, but regardless all console gamers benefit because it means we'll definitely have another gen, at the very least.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9573 Posts

Very good, and well deserved.

Lol at this being an occasion to be salty like 50% of the posts ITT.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61551 Posts

Well deserved. Sony learnt well from the PS3, so let's hope they carry the momentum through to the PS5. MS has been doing pretty damn well in recent years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@lundy86_4 said:

Well deserved. Sony learnt well from the PS3, so let's hope they carry the momentum through to the PS5. MS has been doing pretty damn well in recent years.

As someone who people would conceive to be a "level" headed poster, i'm surprised you didn't keep it real.

MS fucked up badly this gen and drove gamers to the PS4 in the millions, Sony's best marketing campaign was MS themselves lol, that's the main reason why it sold well. To say Sony learnt from it PS3 mistakes is an interesting take on it.

So Sony learnt from its PS3 mistakes in price only, whereas they stated to charge for MP and BC, so in fact you could say they unlearnt from its PS3 days. Sony are still milking its gamers just not with a high price point for its console.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61551 Posts

@i_p_daily: I said "recent years," and not "all gen." MS goofed hard initially, but they've made a sizable comeback.

As for Sony, they've followed the market, to the detriment of gamers regarding online. That being said, they've made great strides from shagging the bed with the PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@lundy86_4 said:

@i_p_daily: I said "recent years," and not "all gen." MS goofed hard initially, but they've made a sizable comeback.

As for Sony, they've followed the market, to the detriment of gamers regarding online. That being said, they've made great strides from shagging the bed with the PS3.

I'm not talking about MS, they've fucked themselves for this entire gen, and basically gave Sony all the marketing they could of ever needed and Sony didn't even have to pay for it lol.

I have no idea what you consider a sizeable comeback, but I see no comeback, only them going backwards.

My question to you is how did they learn from their PS3 mistakes, Please explain what you mean by that.

Other than the price of the console, in fact they have unlearned from the PS3 because they now charge for 2 thing they did not last gen. Oh and you can also throw in the lack of MP in their games now they charge for it. The only thing Sony has learnt from the PS3 is how to milk its gamers on the sly, and the cows have fallen for it big time lol.

Guntster22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Guntster22
Member since 2019 • 44 Posts

The PS4 is the only Sony console I've ever owned - due to the Xbox one launch fucking debacle. Yeah it has been a strong system. Though since getting the X1X the PS4 hasn't t even been switched on.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@x_hedon said:
@Telekill said:

Congrats Sony.

It's down 1.1 million/15.5% YoY this FY so far, and that gap is only going to increase.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22424 Posts

Yep, pretty impressive.

It'll be interesting to see if they can keep it going into next gen. A lot of the PS4 management team is gone, and there are some cracks appearing in the foundation.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@subspecies said:

Well, perhaps the average gamer doesn't think about it. But a console creeping up sales-wise on the best selling console of all time in a gen that started out with abundant cries of "console gaming is dead" is, in fact, very meaningful for gamers in general, as it means console gaming is surely far from dead. For Sony fans in particular it's great news, but regardless all console gamers benefit because it means we'll definitely have another gen, at the very least.

Until game streaming comes along and wipe console gaming out by surprise. :)

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dimebag667  Online
Member since 2003 • 3139 Posts

Congratulations to Sony and the lovers of the console... That being said, I've said many times that this has been my least favorite generation by far, and if this is the trajectory for where console gaming is headed... I might just have to hang up my spurs. Or fully move to PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Pedro said:
@subspecies said:

Until game streaming comes along and wipe console gaming out by surprise. :)

So what device do you spend the most of your gaming time on Pedro???

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@BassMan: You're so predictable and lame lol. Next gen you'll still be crying like a baby who lost its binky.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#37 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17946 Posts

@vfighter: My comment is only a reflection of the consoles.... They are predictable and lame. LOL

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Sales HAH

I wonder how many qled tv’s like mine have been sold?, or my toaster and washing machine

Not really,I couldn’t give a shit HaH

I do however own the worlds most powerful console and winner of this gens res war the Xbox one x,and sitting directly under it ion my tv stand is the pro

Sales HaH

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KvallyX

@techhog89: yes technically it is down YOY. I am just saying it’s going to continue to sell at a good pace with price drops and Black Fridays. It’s going to keep going for 3-4 more years.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7305 Posts

It's been a difficult generation to assess with Sony running away and never looking back. MS easily have had their worse gen Nintendo are in a huge change in fortunes. It's difficult to see it changing next gen and how Nintendo keep things ticking over with the switch.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#41  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19690 Posts

@subspecies said:
@Pedro said:

Saying "console gaming is dead" is obviously an exaggeration, but the reason for the mantra is because of changing market trends. There was a time when consoles ruled the majority of the game industry. Nowadays, consoles rule just a fraction of the game industry, which is now dominated by mobiles, followed by PC.

So it feels like "consoles are dying" relatively. But in actuality, consoles are not dying. All that's happened is that the console market has stagnated, with barely much growth. So there's still just as many console gamers today are there were last gen, but the console market just isn't growing as fast as the PC market, and is nowhere close to the rapid growth of the increasingly dominant mobile market.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#42 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@subspecies said:

Well deserved, too. The PS4 is a beast. The number one spot is, of course, the PS2. Sony is the undisputed king of consoles. Confirmed.

Inb4 "bu....bu....bu.....mah handhelds!" ;)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-is-now-the-second-best-selling-console-ever/1100-6470987/

Holy Shit is this real?? Has it pasted the DS and Gameboy as well? This is solid news for everyone if true.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts
@Pedro said:

Why do you always type the same low-level post every time?

If Xbox One sold over 102.5 million, they'd have a lot more new IPs broadening their library, and even have the luxury to take bolder risks (just make sure they are smart and not dumb risks) and make plenty of new lucrative partnerships. Budgets could be fantastically bigger for existing franchises, giving developers a lot more breathing room.

Nintendo is in a lot better place now with the Switch compared to the Wii U. There's lots of new game announcements all the time and side projects that would not have happened if the Switch only sold 13.5 million and died. Every single person here would agree. Selling 102.5 million or 80 million is a lot better for those consumers than selling 30-40 million and being "stuck". And while nothing is ever guaranteed, selling 102.5m sure puts you in a good starting place for next gen. I wouldn't bet money on Scarlett's sales performance right now, considering how MS has performed with the Xbox One. Guess which console high-rollin' Las Vegas betters would put their money on when it comes to selling more in the next 5 years: PS5 vs. Scarlett? And why is that? Who has a more reliable pattern of success? Who has the worse droughts and struggles? Are you trying to tell me history gives absolutely no indication of future performance? Why does an employer look at resumes, then? Why does a General Manager and head coach look at a college kid's football stats and footage? Why bother looking at their body of performance? Do you even have an answer or do you just shrug scoffingly, as a message board space-filler?

Next time Xbox One fans post any sales news, I'll remember to post "This means nothing, only desperate people care. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯", and then Ctrl+C and make sure to save that hum-dinger.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#44 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5187 Posts

@i_p_daily: Are you serious? You can't see how Sony learned from the disaster that was the PS3 launch?

1. Price - they didn't make the PS4 $600

2. Ease of Development - Sony ditched the cell and went with an easier architecture for developers.

3. Dropped the Cocky attitude - Remember when Sony execs said people should get another job to afford a ps3? Hmmm they haven't said stupid crap like this with the PS4

4. Better Online - Yeah they charge for online now.....but so does MS. Lemmings always say how much better live is, well PS4 greatly improved on party chat, social interaction and content sharing, and the network is pretty stable. A huge improvement over the PS3 online infrastructure.

I know I'm feeding a troll, but come on man try harder

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10655 Posts

@Star67:

Not to mention, the controller. To many, it may not be superior of even equal to the x1 controller, but I'm willing to bet that at least 99% of gamers will agree that the DS4 is a HUGE improvement over the DS3.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50716 Posts

@i_p_daily: "My question to you is how did they learn from their PS3 mistakes, Please explain what you mean by that."

Architecture and pricing

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21711 Posts

Well deserved. It's easily the best console of this gen, and is my personal favorite playstation.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48  Edited By PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Now compare junk food sales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Chutebox said:

@i_p_daily: "My question to you is how did they learn from their PS3 mistakes, Please explain what you mean by that."

Architecture and pricing

Lol, exactly. I was thinking the same thing. I mean, Sony completely changed course from the PS3 structure, to the point that they totally wiped the design and went for a whole new architecture for the PS4, complete with reevaluated pricing. If that's not learning from your mistakes, I don't know what is.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6858 Posts

Yea, they crushed it. We'll see how next gen goes. Nothing is promised.