PS3 vs Xbox 360 (They cost the "SAME"!)

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soulinfusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 soulinfusion
Member since 2004 • 86 Posts

I'm getting a headache deciding between these 2. Let me tell you guys what the deals are for each:
They BOTH cost $369.

40GB Playstation 3 w/ 2 USB ports and no disk reader:
- Comes with Ratchet and Clank
- Spiderman 3
- HDMI Cable

20GB Xbox 360
- Comes with Halo 3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Forza
- HDMI Cable
- Xbox Live Headset

So which one is the better deal? I've made a chart and have come to these conclusions lol.

PS3 Pros:
- Most powerful and will probably have better graphics than x360 in the long run
- Has some nice exclusives (personal preference): Final Fantasy and Ratchet and Clank
- Online play is free and built-in wifi
Cons:
- Many exclusives are going to x360 like GTA
- I'm not getting as many free games in the deal
- Current game list is not impressive

Xbox 360 Pros:
- Large Game Library
- # of games that score higher than 8 on IGN are 7X as much as PS3's
- Great exclusives (Halo 3, Gears of War)
- Xbox Live
- 3 free games which
Cons:
- The wifi peripheral costs me 80 bucks
- Have never been a Microsoft fan and not sure about what other exclusives it has
- Xbox Live costs money
- Red ring of death
- Gotta pay more for HD-DVD but PS3 can just play blu-rays on the spot
- I have a gaming PC so Xbox360 exclusives aren't really "exclusive" (e.g., Gears of War, Bioshock, Orange Box, Halo 3)

I live in Canada so with tax, they both cost $407. Please help me. Thx guys.
For those thinking I made a mistake, no I live in Canada and on Boxing Day (Canadian Black Friday), they are BOTH FOR $369 - $407 incl. tax. I REPEAT, THESE ARE EXCLUSIVE CANADIAN DEALS. PLZ DONT MAKE POSTS SAYING THAT I HAVE MADE A MISTAKE.

u8muhrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 u8muhrice
Member since 2004 • 1453 Posts
i thought the 360 is slightly cheaper.. but anyways, its just about the exclusives now. ;)
u8muhrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 u8muhrice
Member since 2004 • 1453 Posts
oh wait... i just read it wrong.. yeah thats 369 for the ps3 thats 20 gig.. but i dont think they even bother selling those.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts

In terms of graphics; did you ever notice a major difference between the PS2 and Xbox? Enough to bother you? Because the difference between the 360 and PS3 is much, much smaller than that of the older consoles. In other words, i doubt you'll ever notice any graphical difference between the two.

As for gameplay, it's all down to your personal preference. You have to decide whether you like Ninja Gaiden, PGR, Forza, Dead or Alive, Halo, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Banjo Kazooie etc or Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Resistance, Tekken, Uncharted etc

Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts
Original thread. :roll:
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ninja-Vox

Original thread. :roll:Arnalion

You posted after just reading the topic title didn't you? :|

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
well the original wifi adapter for the xbox 1 works on the 360 :? dunno if that helps
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ninja-Vox

well the original wifi adapter for the xbox 1 works on the 360 :? dunno if that helpsDante2710

Any old ethernet wi-fi adapter will work. Microsoft themselves recommend a whole bunch of cheaper ones. The standard one they make is a tiny little clip-on thing with no external power supply. That's why it's so expensive. You can buy a bigger, less sleek one with a power cable for much less money if you're not bothered about it being damn-near invisible. And i dont see why you would be.

soulinfusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 soulinfusion

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]well the original wifi adapter for the xbox 1 works on the 360 :? dunno if that helpsNinja-Vox

Any old ethernet wi-fi adapter will work. Microsoft themselves recommend a whole bunch of cheaper ones. The standard one they make is a tiny little clip-on thing with no external power supply. That's why it's so expensive. You can buy a bigger, less sleek one with a power cable for much less money if you're not bothered about it being damn-near invisible. And i dont see why you would be.

So can I just attach a Wifi reciever into the Xbox 360 USB port and have xbox live play from there?

david_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 david_is_basic
Member since 2003 • 11524 Posts
Original thread. :roll:Arnalion
Were you expecting something else in System Wars? :|
thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

In terms of graphics; did you ever notice a major difference between the PS2 and Xbox? Enough to bother you? Because the difference between the 360 and PS3 is much, much smaller than that of the older consoles. In other words, i doubt you'll ever notice any graphical difference between the two.

Ninja-Vox

As an owner of both PS3 and 360 I have to agree with this statement. On paper the PS3 may seem more powerful but NOTHING has proven this yet. To me both consoles output amazing visuals and are on the smae page.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
um, the 40 gig ps3 costs $400. and i don't think any of the ps3's include the hdmi cable you need to buy them seperately and the 40 gig only comes with spiderman 3 not r&c
bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#13 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts
But isn't the 360's online play better than the PS3's?
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
If you like having a bunch of different games to choose from then go with the 360. Great used library out there.
Avatar image for Jack-o-Thompson
Jack-o-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jack-o-Thompson
Member since 2007 • 2166 Posts

um, the 40 gig ps3 costs $400. and i don't think any of the ps3's include the hdmi cable you need to buy them seperately and the 40 gig only comes with spiderman 3 not r&cshoeman12

The 40 GB one at costco came with ratchet and clank.

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
ps3 blu ray hdmi wifi free online better graphics japnese support motion sensor controller with built in power suply .
Beaglesniffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Beaglesniffer
Member since 2006 • 707 Posts

in the long run ps3 graphics will be better hmmmmm they will improve i wldnt say be better coz the GPU is more powerful in the 360 where as CPU vice versa fact is im not here to bash and the CPU/GPU of both consoles are powerfull enough to produce gd games in HD, its mainly donw to who develops the games and how much effort and optimizing goes into games. Compred to pc consoles games can be optimized a lot which is why you can go by with the same console for years.

its up to you really there both not bad deals, i just went for the 360 coz i cba ask for the ps3 to release lol in the UK piss take lol, i dont really like the *** games on ps3 or controller, although before i knew the facts my heart was solely set on ps3. i finally gave in to 360 lol heheh

when it comes to your console breaking its difficult although your ps3 is 90%unlikely to break you only have 1 year warranty and if it does break you have to pay up whereas 360 ye it has more chance of breaking but it has 3 years warranty which renews if you every have a repair and is all free!!! most 360's if you buy them new now should not break for a while coz they have a newer mobo, a 2nd GPU heatsink, epoxy resing on the chips well around it, supports under the memory chips, and you could also get a 65nm CPU chip which basically is a lot cooler and efficient, a 65nm GPU is to come sometime next year and new mobo but that could eb a wait .

if you do want a 360 wait another month to ensure u get a smaller CPU chip :D

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts
Thats pretty awesome that Canada gets 3 games bundled with the 360
soulinfusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 soulinfusion

in the long run ps3 graphics will be better hmmmmm they will improve i wldnt say be better coz the GPU is more powerful in the 360 where as CPU vice versa fact is im not here to bash and the CPU/GPU of both consoles are powerfull enough to produce gd games in HD, its mainly donw to who develops the games and how much effort and optimizing goes into games. Compred to pc consoles games can be optimized a lot which is why you can go by with the same console for years.

its up to you really there both not bad deals, i just went for the 360 coz i cba ask for the ps3 to release lol in the UK piss take lol, i dont really like the *** games on ps3 or controller, although before i knew the facts my heart was solely set on ps3. i finally gave in to 360 lol heheh

when it comes to your console breaking its difficult although your ps3 is 90%unlikely to break you only have 1 year warranty and if it does break you have to pay up whereas 360 ye it has more chance of breaking but it has 3 years warranty which renews if you every have a repair and is all free!!! most 360's if you buy them new now should not break for a while coz they have a newer mobo, a 2nd GPU heatsink, epoxy resing on the chips well around it, supports under the memory chips, and you could also get a 65nm CPU chip which basically is a lot cooler and efficient, a 65nm GPU is to come sometime next year and new mobo but that could eb a wait .

Beaglesniffer

Ya I've heard the same. In the long run, the PS3 will probably be slightly noticably better. Anyway, you guys are right, the systems are so damn close to each other that graphics don't matter. I doubt the PS3 will shatter the Xbox 360 even when developers learn to master the PS3 infrastructure.

There are a couple of Playstatino franchises that I want to stick with:
- Any Square Enix titles ***** (ESPECIALLY these ones)
- Ratchet and Clank
- Killzone
- Devil May Crys
- Time Crisis
- Metal Gear Solid
- God of War

However I've never considered the Xbox 360 at all until the lsat month. I don't know any good xbox 360 franchises and I do know Xbox 1 didn't have good games. But right now the library is better, what about the future?

The Xbox360 I get at futureshop will not be a falcon model, a few fellow online buddies told me that they are still trying to get rid of their old xbox 360s. I MUST get the xbox before january 2nd or else I will hae to pay 399 for the x360.

Wirrexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wirrexx
Member since 2003 • 1738 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]well the original wifi adapter for the xbox 1 works on the 360 :? dunno if that helpssoulinfusion

So can I just attach a Wifi reciever into the Xbox 360 USB port and have xbox live play from there?

yeah thats what i want 2 know!

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I own both and 360 is better. Better games, better online service.
SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts
ps3 blu ray hdmi wifi free online better graphics japnese support motion sensor controller with built in power suply .deadmeat59
wow that was a ton of games you listed there :P
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
360 costs £250 and the ps3 costs £350, whatever you buy extra is you choice and thats that.
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts

[QUOTE="shoeman12"]um, the 40 gig ps3 costs $400. and i don't think any of the ps3's include the hdmi cable you need to buy them seperately and the 40 gig only comes with spiderman 3 not r&cJack-o-Thompson

The 40 GB one at costco came with ratchet and clank.

ok, but i just checked their website and it costs $500 not $379 like tc said

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 snyper1982
Member since 2004 • 3407 Posts

I'm getting a headache deciding between these 2. Let me tell you guys what the deals are for each:
They BOTH cost $369.

- Spiderman 3
- HDMI Cable

20GB Xbox 360
- HDMI Cable
- Xbox Live Headset

So which one is the better deal? I've made a chart and have come to these conclusions lol.

PS3 Pros:
- Most powerful and will probably have better graphics than x360 in the long run
- Has some nice exclusives (personal preference): Final Fantasy and Ratchet and Clank
Cons:

Xbox 360 Pros:
- Large Game Library
- Xbox Live
- 3 free games which
Cons:
- Have never been a Microsoft fan and not sure about what other exclusives it has
- Xbox Live costs money
- Red ring of death
- I have a gaming PC so Xbox360 exclusives aren't really "exclusive" (e.g., Gears of War, Bioshock, Orange Box, Halo 3)

For those thinking I made a mistake, no I live in Canada and on Boxing Day (Canadian Black Friday), they are BOTH FOR $369 - $407 incl. tax. I REPEAT, THESE ARE EXCLUSIVE CANADIAN DEALS. PLZ DONT MAKE POSTS SAYING THAT I HAVE MADE A MISTAKE.

soulinfusion

360 looks like the better deal to me. I guess it all depends on how important wifi is to you(Not important to me at all), or how important an next gen optical format is to you. If you are looking at it from a strictly gaming perspective, the 360 is clearly better.

soulinfusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 soulinfusion
In terms of games and exclusives,do you think the PS3 will catch back up and overtake the xbox?
pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts

They BOTH cost $369.

- Spiderman 3
- HDMI Cable

20GB Xbox 360
- HDMI Cable
- Xbox Live Headset

PS3 Pros:
Cons:

Xbox 360 Pros:
- Large Game Library
- Xbox Live
- 3 free games which
Cons:
- Xbox Live costs money
- Red ring of death

soulinfusion

DudeThe biggest selling point for Sony is thatthe PS3 is also a standalone HD Movie player. The 360 is a standalone HD...wait never mind.

IF you add an extra HDDVD player to 360, then it'll be well over 500, which makes the PS3 the better choice no matter what. Where else can you get a state of the art game console and a HD movie player for 400 nowhere.

soulinfusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 soulinfusion
I forgot to mention that the Xbox 360 exclusives; while they may be exclusive to you, they are not necessarily exclusive for me because I have a gaming computer (can run crysis on medium with 30+ FPS lol).

So games like Halo 3, Gears of War, that will eventually be ported over to PC aren't necessarily "exclusives."

SaintsRowSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 SaintsRowSam
Member since 2006 • 2807 Posts
well i have both, they're really great. it just depends on what YOU like. the xbox 360 sounds like a better deal imo. but ps3 has blu ray. and its gonna have better games in the near future. but the 360 has all the exclusives going to the pc, but imo the graphics look WAY better on the 360
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts
Since they're the same price, I'd lean towards the PS3 because you don't have to pay for online gameplay.
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
The biggest con i can think of is the Spider-Man 3 Blu-ray disc that comes with the 40gb, that said PS3 is probably the best choice.
Biggest 360 con for me... controller(i'm not saying the PS3 controller is AMAZING its kinda slippery once again imo) and RROD had this happen twice 2 me and i got 2 months of gold live service. Not that great of a trade in, but 360 has the games right now. PS3 you have to wait (imo) for Metal Gear SOlid 4 to make all other games abysmal.
soulinfusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 soulinfusion
Alright looks like I'm getting the PS3. Games look promising "in the future."
Is actually cheaper without xbox live and also, has built-in blu-ray. Although I just go to the local chinese mall for pirated copies lol... so not like it matters.

But I'll get the PS3. It just droppd, and I'm guesing the 499 80 GB model won't drop in price until next year and a half.
ganburged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ganburged
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

As for gameplay, it's all down to your personal preference. You have to decide whether you like Ninja Gaiden, PGR, Forza, Dead or Alive, Halo, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Banjo Kazooie etc or Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Resistance, Tekken, Uncharted etc

Ninja-Vox

and also Killzone 2 , Heavenly sword,Heavenly sword 2,uncharted 2,RC 2, RFOM 2,Haze,UT............

poqer23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 poqer23
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I do know Xbox 1 didn't have good games.

soulinfusion

You can't be serious..

soulinfusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 soulinfusion
[QUOTE="soulinfusion"]

poqer23

You can't be serious..

xbox had a horrible library. gamecube and ps2 had amazing games over xbox for sure.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

If you like having a bunch of different games to choose from then go with the 360. Great used library out there.JiveT
But isn't the 360's online play better than the PS3's?bigmouthkid

Both the same, in terms of how good the games are online. Like COD4, same lobby, same maps, same in terms of lag. The only thing XBL has that the PSN does not is useles videos that you could get much cheaper or free on the net.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts
The XBox 360 is cheaper then the PS3 in America. Since I live in America, that's all I care about.
Blue_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blue_Panda
Member since 2006 • 1293 Posts
ATTENTION: if u have a gaming pc-there is SERIOUSLY no need for 360. the ps3 right now- in myopinion- is great with alot of nice games etc.- and in the long run- the 360 is going to run out of exclusives, so by 2009, the ps3 will be selling equal to or more than the 360.
XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XanderZane
[QUOTE="poqer23"][QUOTE="soulinfusion"]

soulinfusion

You can't be serious..

xbox had a horrible library. gamecube and ps2 had amazing games over xbox for sure.

Opinions differ greatly from yours.

Games like Chronicle of Riddick: Butcher Bay, Halo 1 & 2, Crimson Sky, Links 2004, Burnout 3: Takedown, Ninja Gaiden Black, Rallisport Challenge 1 & 2, NFL 2K5, Freedom Fighters, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, Max Payne, Forza Motorsport, SW:KoToR 1 & 2, WSB 2K3, MotoGP, MechAssault 1 & 2, etc.. were all great.

XBox didn't have horrible games.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XanderZane
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]well the original wifi adapter for the xbox 1 works on the 360 :? dunno if that helpssoulinfusion

Yes. It compatible with the same USB WiFi receivers you would use on your PC.

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Go for the PS3.
ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts
theese threads are very annoying :|
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

so if the playing field really is level, this is really bad news for sony and the ps3..

at least before they could claim high pricing as the reason noone is buying the ps3...

now? that excuse is gone, according to the tc...

not good.... :(

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
theese threads are very annoying :|ps3wizard45
especially when an obviously mulit account is used. Fakeboys FTL
CommanderTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CommanderTy
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts
LOL i dont care how much they cost i buy them all why cuz one day i want to play GeoW and another hey how bout UT3 or some warhawk next year ill be sayin im board of GeoW lets play some SMG!!! so yeah screw the cost its all about the games P.S. PS3=the best system out there/poor games X360=worst cosole out there/best games Wii=aw look how cute it is lets buy it!!!
thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

But isn't the 360's online play better than the PS3's?bigmouthkid

Better as in more intergration with your friends list and games,but the same when it boils down to just simply playing online.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

[QUOTE="bigmouthkid"]But isn't the 360's online play better than the PS3's?thegame1980

Better as in more intergration with your friends list and games,but the same when it boils down to just simply playing online.

not true.

the 360 has voice communication in every online game..

the ps3 doesn't... ie; GT5 prologue..

HellRazer360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HellRazer360
Member since 2006 • 2693 Posts
um ................................cool
Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts
[QUOTE="Beaglesniffer"]

soulinfusion

Ya I've heard the same. In the long run, the PS3 will probably be slightly noticably better. Anyway, you guys are right, the systems are so damn close to each other that graphics don't matter. I doubt the PS3 will shatter the Xbox 360 even when developers learn to master the PS3 infrastructure.

There are a couple of Playstatino franchises that I want to stick with:
- Any Square Enix titles ***** (ESPECIALLY these ones)
- Ratchet and Clank
- Killzone
- Devil May Crys
- Time Crisis
- Metal Gear Solid
- God of War

However I've never considered the Xbox 360 at all until the lsat month. I don't know any good xbox 360 franchises and I do know Xbox 1 didn't have good games. But right now the library is better, what about the future?

The Xbox360 I get at futureshop will not be a falcon model, a few fellow online buddies told me that they are still trying to get rid of their old xbox 360s. I MUST get the xbox before january 2nd or else I will hae to pay 399 for the x360.

Ninja Vox already posted a list of some of the best titles on for the 360 so you should check those out, and if it makes any difference, Devil May Cry 4 is on the 360 also.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
it depends on what games you like. Everything else is extra.