PS3 UI Needs an Overhaul

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#201 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49582 Posts

They got it right the first timePug-Nasty

So did the Xbox 360 interface... doesn't change the idea that this Fall's update makes the Blade system look like an eyesore.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Though I'm not sure if this comes under the XMB, is the time it takes to load things when you press the PS button in game.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Yeah just copy Xbox. Clean, simple, very fast for updating. I guess that's why I pay for it. Take xbox functionality and PS3 pricing please :D
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Though I'm not sure if this comes under the XMB, is the time it takes to load things when you press the PS button in game.soulitane
It comes under the User Interface, so you're right for bringing that issue to light.
SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#205 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
XMB is fine, but psn needs an overhaul.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
XMB is fine, but psn needs an overhaul. SilverChimera
What's your issues with PSN, Silver?
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="sanim02"]

So you are saying that the sum of all the minor faults becomes the the greater aspect of your point of it being inferior (ie the topic:P)? Because so far, I'm sorry to break it to you, but it all still adds up to being a bigger version of the word nitpicking.:P You can add nitpicking aspects into a greater picture, but even then all the previous aspects were still a part of said activity.:P You'd totally have a point if there was a problem to begin with though, but at this point it's like cultivating one.:P

Stevo_the_gamer

It's nitpicking to want a overhaul of an archaic design because the current design already has quite a number of deficits compared to the competition? I wasn't aware it's "nitpicking" to address readily visible issues like notifications, install/download, trophy sync, profile system, game data, ect. The XMB has some design issues. We can all cover our ears and pretend the PS3 UI is perfect, but you'd think we'd want more refinement to improve the service.

Notifications for what? For messages. Theres no problem with that at all. Also whats the problem with profile system and game data? The auto trophy sync is for plus memebers so it is there.

exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
I'm hoping with the Vita launch there would be a new UI but if not, its not like the ps3 is going to suffer because of it. A new UI shouldn't really be on the list of priorities for Sony.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#210 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

They got it right the first timeStevo_the_gamer

So did the Xbox 360 interface... doesn't change the idea that this Fall's update makes the Blade system look like an eyesore.

Eh, the blade system was atrocious in my opinion. The entire menu system was chaotic to look at. It served the purpose of navigation, but it wasn't a pleasant experience to do so.

Also, adding a background image was practically pointless on that UI. XMB was lightyears better than the blades, and the 360 has been playing catch up ever since.

Austindro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Austindro
Member since 2011 • 856 Posts

It's practical but is definitely prosaic.

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

I hate the Playstation Store more than anything. That thing is garbage, and needs a makeover. Online content quality/distribution is definitely something that is superior on the 360. And now they've started putting giant game ads as the background of the store, no matter how difficult it becomes to see the UI. The latest one, an ad for Sonic Generations, just made me cringe. You can't read anything.

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
They could freshin it up but honestly its easy to navigate and with a good theme looks good.
Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
Yeah just copy Xbox. Clean, simple, very fast for updating. I guess that's why I pay for it. Take xbox functionality and PS3 pricing please :Dlocopatho
Xbox Live Gold doesn't pay for that. I have silver and get the same clean UI. Gold pays for services that should be free, or that you already have a paid membership for (Netflix, Hulu), and online multiplayer.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="sanim02"]

So you are saying that the sum of all the minor faults becomes the the greater aspect of your point of it being inferior (ie the topic:P)? Because so far, I'm sorry to break it to you, but it all still adds up to being a bigger version of the word nitpicking.:P You can add nitpicking aspects into a greater picture, but even then all the previous aspects were still a part of said activity.:P You'd totally have a point if there was a problem to begin with though, but at this point it's like cultivating one.:P

finalfantasy94

It's nitpicking to want a overhaul of an archaic design because the current design already has quite a number of deficits compared to the competition? I wasn't aware it's "nitpicking" to address readily visible issues like notifications, install/download, trophy sync, profile system, game data, ect. The XMB has some design issues. We can all cover our ears and pretend the PS3 UI is perfect, but you'd think we'd want more refinement to improve the service.

Notifications for what? For messages. Theres no problem with that at all. Also whats the problem with profile system and game data? The auto trophy sync is for plus memebers so it is there.

I've been waiting to see ...

Photobucket

At the end of all this but the more this thread goes on the more I'm ...

Photobucket

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I hate the Playstation Store more than anything. That thing is garbage, and needs a makeover. Online content quality/distribution is definitely something that is superior on the 360. And now they've started putting giant game ads as the background of the store, no matter how difficult it becomes to see the UI. The latest one, an ad for Sonic Generations, just made me cringe. You can't read anything.

Merex760

sure its not a personal sight thing? Since i see it just fine in the store. Its not to big and not to small. I can easly still see all the sections. So yea.

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts
I hate to admit but I agree. Although if Sony did change PS3's interface, then the PSP / PS Vita's interface would need a change as well since they are both compatible by remote play. IMO, I don't think they'll change it until the PS4 comes out.
mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#221 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

dear god yes, the UI for the PS3 dashboard is the same one for the psp,since 360 came out they've changed it many times

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#222 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Yeah, kinda. The in-game XMB needs to have a lot of unnecessry icons cut out so it can load faster.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#223 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
I've never had a Wild Advert use the No Game Playing Spell on me... Maybe I'm the only one?
arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#224 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

there is one thing which they need to change. whenever you are in a game and you bring up the XMB and go through your messages there is a problem. whenever you open up a message and then press "O" to exit, instead of bringing you back to your other messages, it completely exits you out of the inbox. and thus you have to load it up again. it isnt a huge deal, but they should still fix it.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#225 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Meh. I'm not opposed to UI changes that improve functionality (or at least don't muddle things up for sake of "new"), but I don't care enough to care either. My PC UI has looked pretty much the same for the last 10 years... I'm just not seeing the problem. You want fresh? Change the Wallpaper, or the Theme. Done.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#226 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

not a big issue but it would be nice if they did,not extremely needed this gen is almost over anyhow

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#227 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I like it. Custom XMB are so sweet.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="arbitor365"]

there is no reason for the icons to be that big. notice how you can never see all the options, either horizontal or vertical. its because of how bloated everything is.

with the PS3 XMB, you can pretty much see everything at once, since the icons are about a tenth of the size of the oversized xbox icons. its much cleaner looking (in my opinion) and easier to navigate.

Stevo_the_gamer

Why isn't there? Why do you have to see ALL the options available? You can't even see all the options available for the PS3? :?

The ads appear to be more prominent than the actual interface. It's like if you were viewing a website and instead of the banner being a "banner," it took up 60% of the page.

Khoo1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#229 Khoo1992
Member since 2005 • 2472 Posts

I'm fine with the XMB, I think it's pretty neat. For the Xbox though, I prefer the old interface, much neater IMO.

There's one thing I want the XMB to change is that whenever you plug in USB, you have to press triangle and click display all. Can't they make the PS3 enter the USB right away?!?!

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#230 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Change for the sake of change is just as bad as stagnation. There needs to be a compelling reason for something to change in order for it to be effective. I suppose the 360 has had some reasons to do s, because it keeps introducing new features.

From my experience with the PS3, the XMB pretty much got it right on its first outing. It's minimal, but effective. Perhaps the only thing they really could do is make it faster and more responsive, especially during in-game use.

The PSN store, however, could do some fixing up.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
I think it's fine. I was using Windows XP for about 7 years, why does this need to be any different?
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#233 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
No it should stay the same. But ps4 better have something impressive and it better not be a copy and paste of the vita UI
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]So because MS did a makeover suddenly Sony needs one? Reminds me of the time before 3DS had a price drop, after that suddenly "Vita is too expensive OMG Sony you really dropped the ball!" yet before that not a word of price was uttered from sheep.Stevo_the_gamer
Suddenly did a makeover? Microsoft has done an overhaul every two years aprox. This isn't sudden by any means, it is in fact, expected by me to see Microsoft refine and overhaul their interface. Microsoft is a software company so it is by no surprise to see the Xbox GUI walk circles around Sony's, nevertheless, I want something new from Sony and not the same archaic design from 2006.

You change something when it doesn't work.

The customization of the UI add endless customization options to PS3 users,and make your UI looks different to every one else.

What they doing is not even that great thing they are making the xbox one look more like windows 8.

Allthishate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Allthishate
Member since 2009 • 1879 Posts
Well done Stevo . your threads are always full of fun XD . u sure know how to work cows up XDDXDX
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

It's functional and clean and certainly gets the job done. There are a few negatives though such as:

• Too many needless icons under the settings tab, and elsewhere for that matter.
  • Slow, especially in-game
  • PSN store is absolutely awful in every regard, is a completely separate app, not integrated at all
  • Trophy system is crap, synching is ridiculous
  • Mandatory installs are mind-boggling (and why can you not DL and install at the same time like virtually every other electronic device capable of download out there?!)
  • Not sure if this affects everyone but seemingly you can't download things while a DVD/Blu-Ray is being played. Was waiting for Prince of Persia to DL the other night @70%, watched a movie for an hour, switched inputs on the TV to check on it and it was still stuck at 70%. Again, not sure if this is just me.
  • Overall, the dashboard needs more online integration

Other than that, it's perfect. I love the way you can customise the icons and background with whatever you please. I'm currently rocking a very slick MGS theme with manga icons.8)

I also like how everything is so very customisable and there are an incredible variety of options to tinker with, whereas on the Xbox it's like they don't trust you enough to provide you with any. Seriously, you get to set the output resolution and that's all they give you lest you break something.

I don't know which I prefer, they both have their ups and downs.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#238 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
I like it the way it is. And it has a lot of awesome themes.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#239 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

tormentos

Nonsense. There reasons for changing something vary. There is no set reason why an individual or a corporation changes something.Since nothing is perfect, there are always improvements that can be made. People seem to forget, the XMB has already been modified.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
The amount of wasted user action in XMB is just ridiculous. When downloading content, why wouldn't you always want a background download? What advantage does a modal dialog offer in this situation? Then, why require a separate install step? What else were you going to do with it? And at the end, there's a "press X" prompt telling you the install is finished. Again, why is this modal - other than pressing X, what action can the user take, and is it critical that they do so immediately? Sony needs to hire someone who actually cares about UX, not just UI.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#243 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I agree, just improve the UI already Sony. I would rather have Sony focus on PS4 development, but they're a big company and can easily multitask. I've been wanting a new menu for some time now, and there have been rumors, but Sony just won't get to it. I despised the original software for Xbox LIVE, but I like the way the menu looks now for the 360.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="arbitor365"]

seriously dude? that is the "what's new in the playstation store" icon. which is where you go to when you want ads

Pug-Nasty

That's where you end up when you initially start your PS3? :?

Mine doesn't, because I turned off that option in the settings.

Really... Maybe the XMB UI is too complicated for some people to find the option to do that... :o

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

It'd be nice to have an upgrade, but I'd much prefer to get all the great games than have a little nicer menu UI. So it depends on what resources they'd have to commit to it.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 tormentos

It's functional and clean and certainly gets the job done. There are a few negatives though such as:

• Too many needless icons under the settings tab, and elsewhere for that matter.
  • Slow, especially in-game
  • PSN store is absolutely awful in every regard, is a completely separate app, not integrated at all
  • Trophy system is crap, synching is ridiculous
  • Mandatory installs are mind-boggling (and why can you not DL and install at the same time like virtually every other electronic device capable of download out there?!)
  • Not sure if this affects everyone but seemingly you can't download things while a DVD/Blu-Ray is being played. Was waiting for Prince of Persia to DL the other night @70%, watched a movie for an hour, switched inputs on the TV to check on it and it was still stuck at 70%. Again, not sure if this is just me.
  • Overall, the dashboard needs more online integration

Other than that, it's perfect. I love the way you can customise the icons and background with whatever you please. I'm currently rocking a very slick MGS theme with manga icons.8)

I also like how everything is so very customisable and there are an incredible variety of options to tinker with, whereas on the Xbox it's like they don't trust you enough to provide you with any. Seriously, you get to set the output resolution and that's all they give you lest you break something.

I don't know which I prefer, they both have their ups and downs.

balfe1990
-The icons serve a purpose. -No is not slow by any means. -PSN store is great,simple and incredibly easy to navigate. -Trophies are OK. -Games on 360 don't have mandatory installs per say,but it happen like it did with Rage,that is you don't install the game you get,pop in maximum level,or like BF 3 which has low res textures if not installed,from what i read,i also don't know where you get the idea that i each electronic device out there you install while you download,the biggest of the all the PC,download first instal after it,it has been like that for ages,and it doesn't bother any one,how about Android phones the most popular OS on the market now,you download the application and it install after it,so not i would not say like any device out there,just because the xbox 360 has a interface for dummies doesn't mean every single device should. -No you can't download while watching a movie,but you can while playing a game offline. -Could care less about integration when they want to rip me off for it,if integration mean $60 dollars a year no thank you,you can have it.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

edit: dp

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
You mirin' those ads on 360 boys? Oop, looks like it's time to pay M$ some more money for XBL!
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 tormentos

[QUOTE="tormentos"]

heretrix

Nonsense. There reasons for changing something vary. There is no set reason why an individual or a corporation changes something.Since nothing is perfect, there are always improvements that can be made. People seem to forget, the XMB has already been modified.

Yeah but when you have something that you know you got it right,you don't change it because you risk damaging the image of your product and brand,it has happen to countless companies all over the world,one big example Coca Cola,which change to new flavor remember new coke and the sales dropped like a stone into the sea,and Coca Cola was force to change again to coca cola classic. The XMB has been modified but not on the same way the xbox 360 did.