PS3 to outsell Xbox 360 by 2012 - Analyst

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

Well, now the big dawgs are talkin about the PS3 outselling the 360 with 360 still havin a 1 year head start.. i noticed someone on my facebook said yesterday PS3 finally outsold the 360, but im pretty sure that's not real, think its like 44M to 42M at this point. anyway, good read, here

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

Well, now the big dawgs are talkin about the PS3 outselling the 360 with 360 still havin a 1 year head start.. i noticed someone on my facebook said yesterday PS3 finally outsold the 360, but im pretty sure that's not real, think its like 44M to 42M at this point. anyway, good read, here

Renzokucant

how many times has that date been post poned now?

Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts
i dont see any posts yet, but i'm sure as soon as i post this and the page refresh theres gonna be blood all around :D anyway, on topic, this is good news for me (i own a PS3, so more reasons for devs to make more games) do i care? not really, back in 2007/8 yes :P now i dont care
Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Renzokucant

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

ohthemanatee

not as much as GT5?
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#5 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts
I would have figured by the very end of 2011 based on the trends of the gap getting smaller and smaller, but I think Kinect will booster the Xbox 360 to which the PS3 might never pass it up until a new Xbox gets released.
Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

ohthemanatee

IMO for a console that is often said to be more powerful, its easier to develop for, has "more" games, has 1 year head start on the market and the company responsible for it spends untold truck loads of crash piling money so it can climb it to the top (ads, exclusive dlcs...) a system like that being almost topped by the PS3 in sales and overtaken is in reach... thats a loss already for the 360 in my book.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

so by the time this gen is over the ps3 will have finally caught up? wow.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lazerface216

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

Kane04

IMO for a console that is often said to be more powerful, its easier to develop for, has "more" games, has 1 year head start on the market and the company responsible for it spends untold truck loads of crash piling money so it can climb it to the top (ads, exclusive dlcs...) a system like that being almost topped by the PS3 in sales and overtaken is in reach... thats a loss already for the 360 in my book.

lol well then i'd hate to see what you think about sony...

pimpog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pimpog
Member since 2010 • 659 Posts

lazerface216

This gen won't be over by 2012 unless 2011 e3 ms and sony pump the 720 and ps4

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

pimpog

i don't see this gen gen going past 2013, but who knows you might be right...

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Renzokucant

lazerface216

more like by time this gen is half over... sony guarantee's its systems for 10 years

nov 17 2006 (roughly month and a half from 2007) so lets just say 2007 to 2012 is 5 years (or 5 years and 1 month and 15 days if you wana get technical), wich puts the 360 and wii at 6 years old in 2012. if this gens over by that time, then id feel like everyone wasted their money... unless you have a ps3 cause you'd still have a blu ray player.. but 360 and wii.. yep wasted. thats if its over by 2012 that is

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

If Sony released a 40GB-60GB PS3 Slim model and bundled in a game (GT5, Uncharted 2, LBP2, etc) for $250, they would fly off the shelves

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

IMO for a console that is often said to be more powerful, its easier to develop for, has "more" games, has 1 year head start on the market and the company responsible for it spends untold truck loads of crash piling money so it can climb it to the top (ads, exclusive dlcs...) a system like that being almost topped by the PS3 in sales and overtaken is in reach... thats a loss already for the 360 in my book.Kane04

In my eduacated realm of opinions which is a fact in this reality, the PS3 (the successor to the highest-selling console of all-time) barely-BARELY- reaching 40 million units sold, being the hardest console to develop for, supposedly being the superior console despite having absolutely nothing to show for it out side of two (TWO!) games, copying the Wii, nearly always getting inferior multiplats, being unable to outsell the 360 even though the Wii was able to, and all sorts of random failures here and there... that's already many, many losses for the PS3.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

Renzokucant

more like by time this gen is half over... sony guarantee's its systems for 10 years

The end of the gen is dictated by the release of the first next-gen system. Sony will likely suppor tthe PS3, but the PS4 will be released well before then.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

Renzokucant

yeah but who's to stop microsoft or any other company from coming out with the next gen system? lol this gen doesn't end when sony wants it to.

pimpog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pimpog
Member since 2010 • 659 Posts

[QUOTE="pimpog"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

lazerface216

i don't see this gen gen going past 2013, but who knows you might be right...

It would be great to get new console but after seeing big motion controlers from sony and ms I kinda doubt it. The wii is the only console that really needs a upgrade asap.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Renzokucant

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"][QUOTE="lazerface216"]

lundy86_4

The end of the gen is dictated by the release of the first next-gen system. Sony will likely suppor tthe PS3, but the PS4 will be released well before then.

oh it will, cool, where's that link that shows the ps4 release date? i wana show my neighbor. i always thought the gens came with the next tech bump. i mean MS can release another console tomorrow. but would it be enough of a jump from the 360 to justify the buy or the claim that a new gen has begun?

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts

[QUOTE="Kane04"]IMO for a console that is often said to be more powerful, its easier to develop for, has "more" games, has 1 year head start on the market and the company responsible for it spends untold truck loads of crash piling money so it can climb it to the top (ads, exclusive dlcs...) a system like that being almost topped by the PS3 in sales and overtaken is in reach... thats a loss already for the 360 in my book.Silverbond

In my eduacated realm of opinions which is a fact in this reality, the PS3 (the successor to the highest-selling console of all-time) barely barely reaching 40 million units sold, being the hardest console to develop for, supposedly being the superior console despite having absolutely nothing to show for it out side of two (TWO!) games, copying the Wii, nearly always getting porr multiplats, being unable to outsell the 360 even though the Wii was able to, and all sorts of random failures here and there... that's already many, many losses for the PS3.

I agree. Last generations market leader is trying its hardest to overcome a new comer to this market.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

Kane04

well, for a console that does 4D, 120FPS, full 1080p, runs linux, had full PS2 BC, was supposed to outsell the Wii and the 360 right off the bat, is the descendent of the the two best selling consoles ever made, from a company that has the most internal studios, the most favourable reputation, that has blu-ray, integrated wi-fi, no fail rate, was touted to sell this much from experts

has an improved version of the wiimote, is being sold at a loss due to how much content it has, has the best exclusives according to the fanboys, has free online, dedicated servers, the most variety according to many people (including yourself), it had the cell an eight core processor that sony hyped it up to the moon and back, which was evern bought by the US army, despite the fact that Sony does well in Japan and microsoft doesn't, despite the fact that sony's exclusives don't have the fame of ending up on the PC.....

and it took them 7 years to come up with another delay of a prediction of maybe sometime in not so near future the Sony might surpass the 360 in sales and thereby somehow hope to one day who knows even make a proffit in an entire year and make up for the loosing all of the money they lost on the PS2 and half of what they lost on the PS1....and now THAT has got to be the biggest fail I have ever seen, and I was around when the Jaguar was launched

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

Kane04

Right, because Sony snagging 2nd place (if it even happens that year) after 5 years is such a huge win. Microsoft has already won by humbling Sony and the real winner here is nintendo. The 3ds will be a 3rd layer of icing on that already top-heavy cake.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
no wonder the world is ending in 2012
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
I think there is a good chance the PS3 will overtake the 360 at some point, but it's really amazing how long the 360 has kept ahead. Especially when you consider how popular the PS2 was.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 racing1750
no wonder the world is ending in 2012funsohng
Cow's won't get their moment to gloat :P
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lazerface216

[QUOTE="Kane04"][QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

ohthemanatee

well, for a console that does 4D, 120FPS, full 1080p, runs linux, had full PS2 BC, was supposed to outsell the Wii and the 360 right off the bat, is the descendent of the the two best selling consoles ever made, from a company that has the most internal studios, the most favourable reputation, that has blu-ray, integrated wi-fi, no fail rate, was touted to sell this much from experts

has an improved version of the wiimote, is being sold at a loss due to how much content it has, has the best exclusives according to the fanboys, has free online, dedicated servers, the most variety according to many people (including yourself), it had the cell an eight core processor that sony hyped it up to the moon and back, which was evern bought by the US army, despite the fact that Sony does well in Japan and microsoft doesn't, despite the fact that sony's exclusives don't have the fame of ending up on the PC.....

and it took them 7 years to come up with another delay of a prediction of maybe sometime in not so near future the Sony might surpass the 360 in sales and thereby somehow hope to one day who knows even make a proffit in an entire year and make up for the loosing all of the money they lost on the PS2 and half of what they lost on the PS1....and now THAT has got to be the biggest fail I have ever seen, and I was aroung when the Jaguar was launched

:lol: so much win.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts
[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

Kane04

Surely Sony lying in third a generation after releasing the best selling console of all time is a bigger loss?
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"] more like by time this gen is half over... sony guarantee's its systems for 10 yearsRenzokucant

oh it will, cool, where's that link that shows the ps4 release date? i wana show my neighbor. i always thought the gens came with the next tech bump. i mean MS can release another console tomorrow. but would it be enough of a jump from the 360 to justify the buy or the claim that a new gen has begun?

Sony supported PS2 for `10+ years, but the PS3 was released already. Your assumption is based on nothing, making mine the more likely scenario ;)

Next-Gen is defined by the release of the first next-gen console. Way it is and always will be.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Renzokucant

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Kane04"] IMO for a console that is often said to be more powerful, its easier to develop for, has "more" games, has 1 year head start on the market and the company responsible for it spends untold truck loads of crash piling money so it can climb it to the top (ads, exclusive dlcs...) a system like that being almost topped by the PS3 in sales and overtaken is in reach... thats a loss already for the 360 in my book.lazerface216

and it took them 7 years to come up with another delay of a prediction of maybe sometime in not so near future the Sony might surpass the 360 in sales and thereby somehow hope to one day who knows even make a proffit in an entire year and make up for the loosing all of the money they lost on the PS2 and half of what they lost on the PS1....and now THAT has got to be the biggest fail I have ever seen, and I was aroung when the Jaguar was launched

sux for sony about their money, but all i read there was a buttload of reasons why the PS3 rocks lol

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"]no wonder the world is ending in 2012racing1750

is it safe to say 2012 conspiracy is driven by Microsoft? :P
Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Renzokucant

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

Sony supported PS2 for `10+ years, but the PS3 was released already. Your assumption is based on nothing, making mine the more likely scenario ;)

Next-Gen is defined by the release of the first next-gen console. Way it is and always will be.

so based on your scenario.. if the 360 was released on oct 25 2005, and they released the 361 on nov 2. 2005, the next gen starts on nov. 2nd? ok cool just checkin
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Even if they did I don't think it matters anymore. Microsoft already did its job and took a chuck of Sony's marketshare forcing Sony to play catch up. Just continue to give me some good exclusives and I'm set until this gen ends.

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tempest91

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

Renzokucant

sux for sony about their money, but all i read there was a buttload of reasons why the PS3 rocks lol

It "rocks" because it's in last place and has to go for broke to compete. That's why competition can be good for all.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

Renzokucant

indeed and in the end all it took was a console to have good games and good online and suddenly the high fail rate it was famous for stopped being important and all of the PS3's strong points didn't really matter

though luckily sony has finally seen the light

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 racing1750
[QUOTE="racing1750"][QUOTE="funsohng"]no wonder the world is ending in 2012funsohng

is it safe to say 2012 conspiracy is driven by Microsoft? :P

I'd bet on it :P
Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Renzokucant

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

tempest91

It "rocks" because it's in last place and has to go for broke to compete. That's why competition can be good for all.

lol exactly, sux for sony, but the ps3 is rockin out my jim jamz right now, hopefully they think things out a bit more before next gen comes
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

Renzokucant

there is, that still doesn't deny the fact that the ps3 is a total failure sales-wise, especially compared to the ps2. that's ok though, i'm sure sony will turn it around next gen.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lundy86_4

so based on your scenario.. if the 360 was released on oct 25 2005, and they released the 361 on nov 2. 2005, the next gen starts on nov. 2nd? ok cool just checkinRenzokucant

:lol:

Are you seriously using a nigh on impossible hypothetical to try and prove me wrong? LMFAO this thread is hilarious.

Why would a company spend millions and then millions more to release a new console a day later? What on Earth? :lol:

suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 suitmypants
Member since 2004 • 1015 Posts

ouch... even with the RRODs M$ cant still hold down the fort... pathetic

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]so based on your scenario.. if the 360 was released on oct 25 2005, and they released the 361 on nov 2. 2005, the next gen starts on nov. 2nd? ok cool just checkinlundy86_4

Are you seriously using a nigh on impossible hypothetical to try and prove me wrong? LMFAO this thread is hilarious.

Why would a company spend millions and then millions more to release a new console a day later? What on Earth? :lol:

His logic is flawless.
Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Renzokucant

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]so based on your scenario.. if the 360 was released on oct 25 2005, and they released the 361 on nov 2. 2005, the next gen starts on nov. 2nd? ok cool just checkinlundy86_4

bringing it back to topic, PS3 overtakes 360 in 2012, year of doom?

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"] oh it will, cool, where's that link that shows the ps4 release date? i wana show my neighbor. i always thought the gens came with the next tech bump. i mean MS can release another console tomorrow. but would it be enough of a jump from the 360 to justify the buy or the claim that a new gen has begun?

Renzokucant

so based on your scenario.. if the 360 was released on oct 25 2005, and they released the 361 on nov 2. 2005, the next gen starts on nov. 2nd? ok cool just checkin

lol are you serious?

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Renzokucant

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lazerface216

lol are you serious?

why wouldnt i be.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"]so based on your scenario.. if the 360 was released on oct 25 2005, and they released the 361 on nov 2. 2005, the next gen starts on nov. 2nd? ok cool just checkinRenzokucant

hypothetical (plural hypotheticals) A hypothetical situation or proposition These hypotheticals serve no purpose until we have more information. see.. now this thread is no longer only hilarious, but its educational.. it learned u somethin

Oh my word... No, it's still just outright hilarious. I think everyone knows what a hypothetical is.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

it would have happened already if it wasn't for "599 US dollars!" :P and 360 owners buying multiple consoles because of the RROD.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lundy86_4

His logic is flawless.dommeus

Completely beyond criticism.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

yep 2012 that's the one, for realz this time, uh huh, yeppers, this is it, almost here now baby, 2012 am totally confirmed, affirmative on the passing, 2012 is year of the ps3 yep yep yep!

joking asidewho cares if the 360 or the ps3 ends up in last place, it's got some damn fine company back there with the intellivision, the c-64, and every console sega has ever made.

there have been plenty of consoles that ended up in last place that i liked.

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tempest91

it would have happened already if it wasn't for "599 US dollars!" :P and 360 owners buying multiple consoles because of the RROD.

theuncharted34

and the giant enemy crabs.

sireclaborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sireclaborn
Member since 2008 • 1305 Posts
i remember when this use to matter...i really could care less on what rank sony is in ..so far sony has kept me happy...they haven't charged me for online and if they ever did they wouldn't raise the price and give me some bs excuse...they dont waste 50 million on dlc or 500 million on advertising an eye toy...they have actually used there money on games and a varierty of other things ..yeah the beginning was a little weird but the past is the past and sony has actually learned from their mistakes
Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Renzokucant

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

hypothetical (plural hypotheticals) A hypothetical situation or proposition These hypotheticals serve no purpose until we have more information. see.. now this thread is no longer only hilarious, but its educational.. it learned u somethin

Oh my word... No, it's still just outright hilarious. I think everyone knows what a hypothetical is.

wow we digress, back on topic, PS3 overtakes 360 in 2012 the future is nigh!

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 racing1750

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

tempest91

and the giant enemy crabs.

And the "RIDGEEEEE RACERRRRRR"
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Renzokucant"] hypothetical (plural hypotheticals) A hypothetical situation or proposition These hypotheticals serve no purpose until we have more information. see.. now this thread is no longer only hilarious, but its educational.. it learned u somethinRenzokucant

you mean you think everyone knows what a hypothesis is right? "a hypothetical" can be either a proposition or a statement, but a hypothesis is a proposed explanation for an observable phenomenon, therefore someone can't know what a hypothetical is, only explain a hypothetical situation.. but you can know what a hypothesis is.. see still educational

wow we digress, back on topic, PS3 overtakes 360 in 2012 the future is nigh!

extreme hypothesis rarely provide a good example due to them being nigh on impossible

you hypothesis was an extreme one