PS3 RAM vs Xbox 360 RAM

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts
[QUOTE="BobHipJames"][QUOTE="MojondeVACA"][QUOTE="micky4889"]

ya the ps3s ram runs at 3.2ghz over 4 times the speed of the 360s ram

also i think the 360s os is 32mb and the ps3s is 64mb not sure though because i think sony redused it since then

HardTarget86

lolwut?,the CPU ram runs only at 3.2ghz on the ps3....the video ram of the xbox360 is more flexible (double data rate) and it runs at 1.4ghz,ps3 video ram runs also at 1.4ghz

what the hell do you mean by "more flexible"?

Both the Xbox 360's total 512 MB shared RAM and the PS3's 256 MB video RAM, which are both GDDR3, are clocked at 700 Mhz each. Check your specs. That's the exact same speed. The bandwidth's the same too, 22.4 GB/s if I remember correctly.

Meanwhile, PS3 has main RAM or CPU RAM that's clocked to 3.2 Ghz, but it's XDRAM, theoretically greatly superior to GDDR3....it's certainly faster, seeing as it's clocked higher and has a bandwidth of 25.6 GB/s. Refer to the above and make the comparison.

ALSO:

Me and many others have constantly debunked this rumor that the PS3's RAM cannot be accessed by both processors: The RAM in the PS3 is at LEAST turbocache, meaning the GPU can access both pools, and I have supporting evidence that suggests it goes both ways, despite their being a bottleneck. In fact, I have a research article from Sony suggesting that the RAM in the PS3 is "unified," so much so that in the research they conducted they were able to share texture data between the GPU and CPU through the UNIFIED MEMORY ARCHITECTURE. Interesting, no?

Very interesting...would be nice to see some links, tho...but good 2 know.

Local Memory = GDDR3 Main Memory = XDR
mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts
[QUOTE="BobHipJames"]

Implicit spin? I only ask that you read the benchmarks. They conducted the trial themselves. Unless it's some black-ops tomfoolery that never actually happened, I suggest you trust them over some backwater yokel in a videogame forum screaming uneducated insults.

Plus, it's my understanding that that series of GPU from Nvidia is turbocache.

Edit: And here's your independent confirmation:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2453&p=9

HuusAsking

Invalid as a proof. This is a speculative article, made before the PS3's actual hardware was known.

It also says the PS3 has 2 HDMI ports. The eerie thing in that article though, is here:

NVIDIA claims it is more powerful than the GeForce 7800 GTX. But how can that be? There are a couple of options:

The most likely explanation is attributed to nothing more than clock speed. ... a 28% increase in core clock speed from the 110nm GeForce 7800 GTX ... which would make the RSX "more powerful" than the G70.

There is one other possibility, one that is more far fetched but worth discussing nonetheless. NVIDIA could offer a chip that featured the same transistor count as the desktop G70, but with significantly more power if the RSX features no vertex shader pipes and instead used that die space to add additional pixel shading hardware.

Remember that the Cell host processor has an array of 7 SPEs that are very well suited for a number of non-branching tasks, including geometry processing. Also keep in mind that current games favor creating realism through more pixel operations rather than creating more geometry, so GPUs aren't very vertex shader bound these days. Then, note that the RSX has a high bandwidth 35GB/s interface between the Cell processor and the GPU itself - definitely enough to place all vertex processing on the Cell processor itself, freeing up the RSX to exclusively handle pixel shader and ROP tasks. If this is indeed the case, then the RSX could very well have more than 24 pipelines and still have a similar transistor count to the G70, but if it isn't, then it is highly unlikely that we'd see a GPU that looked much different than the G70.AandTech

The PS3 IS vertex limited. RSX: Vertex input limited? *FKATCT

Game developers have had to use the Cell to pre-cull geometry to get the games to run well just like that last paragraph predicted. Could their weird prediction there have been true?

micky4889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 micky4889
Member since 2006 • 2668 Posts
Well... it is important to remember there is always a way around memory limitations, but it does make things harder on the developers if the amount of memory they have is constrained (be it system memory or graphics memory). Microsoft choose to allow the developers some flexibility in how much of the memory that is in the XBox360 they want to use for what purpose, sacrificing some system memory bandwidth in the process which was countered to a degree with the inclusion of the eDRAM on the GPU while Sony decided to provide a fixed amount of system and graphics memory which allows for a good deal of system memory bandwidth.

Additionally the amount of memory on a console is not like the amount of memory on a PC platform. Consoles don't have to worry about a lot of the system memory being eaten by things such as the Operating System or drivers and other background applications. As an example your average computer today will have 1GB of memory, but over half of that is already consumed by the operating system, drivers, and background applications leaving less than half of that 1GB for the person to actually use for their games and other applications. Nearly all PC games today require at least 1GB of system memory, but that will jump to 2GB of system memory in the future... especially when Windows Vista becomes the standered. In a console a small portion of system memory is allocated for the OS (XBox360 reserves 32MB of the 512MB unifed memory and the PS3 currently reserves 64MB of the 256MB system memory so effectively even the PS3 would still be equal to a computer that has 512MB of memory even though it only has 256MB having 64MB consumed by it's OS. The XBox360's memory is flexible so it could be whatever the developer wanted to use and could effectively be equal to a computer with 1GB of memory under normal circumstances anyway, it is just dependant on what the developer wants. Console developers do have the advantage of also using innovative streaming or fragmentation mechanisms in order to help improve memory usage... one example being Doom 3 for the XBox. Remember that Doom 3 on the PC required a machine with 384MB of system memory and a video card with 64MB of video memory (minimal system requirements), yet the XBox only had 64MB of unifed memory... and they still managed to get it to work well. There are other examples... but this should give you an idea.

In general though... more memory allows developers to create larger and more detailed enviroments. Think of it like this... more graphics memory allows you to have images that have greater texture variety or detail or amount of geometry. More graphics memory is also necessary if you plan on having higher resolution images with higher orders of filtering. More system memory allows you to do more things at the same time... and many other less tangible things that gamers will not see as this deals with the actual game enviroment rather than the rendering of the image.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

In general though... more memory allows developers to create larger and more detailed enviroments. Think of it like this... more graphics memory allows you to have images that have greater texture variety or detail or amount of geometry. More graphics memory is also necessary if you plan on having higher resolution images with higher orders of filtering. More system memory allows you to do more things at the same time... and many other less tangible things that gamers will not see as this deals with the actual game enviroment rather than the rendering of the image.micky4889
It's the reason Crysis isn't possible on consoles. Even when you take away the OS overhead, it simply uses too much memory, both system-wise and graphics-wise (and this was proven by checking its RAM usage while playing the game at minimum detail) to be feasible in the consoles.

Sure, you can work around some memory limitations, but at some point you're going to find yourself trying to squeeze a baker's dozen into an egg carton--you simply can't do it. Hideo Kojima himself said he hit a wall when he made MGS4--it's fantastic, but still not quite how he envisioned it.

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Dynafrom
Member since 2003 • 1027 Posts
[QUOTE="BobHipJames"][QUOTE="MojondeVACA"][QUOTE="micky4889"]

also i think the 360s os is 32mb and the ps3s is 64mb not sure though because i think sony redused it since then

HardTarget86

lolwut?,the CPU ram runs only at 3.2ghz on the ps3....the video ram of the xbox360 is more flexible (double data rate) and it runs at 1.4ghz,ps3 video ram runs also at 1.4ghz

what the hell do you mean by "more flexible"?

Both the Xbox 360's total 512 MB shared RAM and the PS3's 256 MB video RAM, which are both GDDR3, are clocked at 700 Mhz each. Check your specs. That's the exact same speed. The bandwidth's the same too, 22.4 GB/s if I remember correctly.

Meanwhile, PS3 has main RAM or CPU RAM that's clocked to 3.2 Ghz, but it's XDRAM, theoretically greatly superior to GDDR3....it's certainly faster, seeing as it's clocked higher and has a bandwidth of 25.6 GB/s. Refer to the above and make the comparison.

ALSO:

Me and many others have constantly debunked this rumor that the PS3's RAM cannot be accessed by both processors: The RAM in the PS3 is at LEAST turbocache, meaning the GPU can access both pools, and I have supporting evidence that suggests it goes both ways, despite their being a bottleneck. In fact, I have a research article from Sony suggesting that the RAM in the PS3 is "unified," so much so that in the research they conducted they were able to share texture data between the GPU and CPU through the UNIFIED MEMORY ARCHITECTURE. Interesting, no?

Very interesting...would be nice to see some links, tho...but good 2 know.

Latency?

AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
Actually the PS3 has a type of RAM that is considered one of the fastest in the world. It's not even used very often in gaming computers yet.
Beaglesniffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 Beaglesniffer
Member since 2006 • 707 Posts
ps3 OS takes up 64mb x360 OS takes up 32mb you also have to remember x360 has an added 10mb of edram which is only used for the GPU the 360 ram is clocked at 700mhz PS3 gpu ram is 700mhz and the system ram is at 3.2ghz as it is combined with the cell i think although it may be the other way round but im sure im right :) plus x360 edram has an extremely high bandwidth therefore it doesnt affect framerates at all or only a tiny bit if the edram is used for anti aliasing or the high res, HDR etc etc basically meaning the 360 GPU is free of at least one high bandwidth effect or anything else in a game which is a really good benefit
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 HuusAsking
Actually the PS3 has a type of RAM that is considered one of the fastest in the world. It's not even used very often in gaming computers yet.AIH_PSP
For a reason. XDRAM is derived from RDRAM...which did exist in computers in the past...until it was found to be full of holes. Furthermore, its bit width was limited (SDRAM got around the problem with Dual Channel).
f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts
Both consoles are horrible in the hardware department, especially with ram
fluxorator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 fluxorator
Member since 2008 • 887 Posts

ps3 OS takes up 64mb x360 OS takes up 32mb you also have to remember x360 has an added 10mb of edram which is only used for the GPU the 360 ram is clocked at 700mhz PS3 gpu ram is 700mhz and the system ram is at 3.2ghz as it is combined with the cell i think although it may be the other way round but im sure im right :) plus x360 edram has an extremely high bandwidth therefore it doesnt affect framerates at all or only a tiny bit if the edram is used for anti aliasing or the high res, HDR etc etc basically meaning the 360 GPU is free of at least one high bandwidth effect or anything else in a game which is a really good benefitBeaglesniffer

I think with FW 1.80 the PS3 OS takes up 48... not sure about other updates however...

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="Beaglesniffer"]ps3 OS takes up 64mb x360 OS takes up 32mb you also have to remember x360 has an added 10mb of edram which is only used for the GPU the 360 ram is clocked at 700mhz PS3 gpu ram is 700mhz and the system ram is at 3.2ghz as it is combined with the cell i think although it may be the other way round but im sure im right :) plus x360 edram has an extremely high bandwidth therefore it doesnt affect framerates at all or only a tiny bit if the edram is used for anti aliasing or the high res, HDR etc etc basically meaning the 360 GPU is free of at least one high bandwidth effect or anything else in a game which is a really good benefitfluxorator

I think with FW 1.80 the PS3 OS takes up 48... not sure about other updates however...

You'd have to think that 2.4 will take up more, though, with the new feature additions (particularly always-on XMB access).
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

micky4889
And with a quarter of the width, which translates to... how much bandwidth? Anyone? Bueller?
mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mbrockway
[QUOTE="micky4889"]

lowe0

And with a quarter of the width, which translates to... how much bandwidth? Anyone? Bueller?

Graphics processor

Memory Bandwitdth: 360 21.6 GBps - PS3 22.4 GBps

System memory

System Memory Bandwidth: 360 22.4 GBps - PS3 25.6 GBps

[QUOTE="fluxorator"]

[QUOTE="Beaglesniffer"]ps3 OS takes up 64mb x360 OS takes up 32mb you also have to remember x360 has an added 10mb of edram which is only used for the GPU the 360 ram is clocked at 700mhz PS3 gpu ram is 700mhz and the system ram is at 3.2ghz as it is combined with the cell i think although it may be the other way round but im sure im right :) plus x360 edram has an extremely high bandwidth therefore it doesnt affect framerates at all or only a tiny bit if the edram is used for anti aliasing or the high res, HDR etc etc basically meaning the 360 GPU is free of at least one high bandwidth effect or anything else in a game which is a really good benefitHuusAsking

You'd have to think that 2.4 will take up more, though, with the new feature additions (particularly always-on XMB access).

Sony has been continually lowering the memory requirements for XMB so they could have it in-game. Sony can't take the memory away now, games have already been created since then that take advantage of it. It would break software compatibility to up the requirements again.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="micky4889"]

mbrockway

Graphics processor

Memory Bandwitdth: 360 21.6 GBps - PS3 22.4 GBps

System memory

System Memory Bandwidth: 360 22.4 GBps - PS3 25.6 GBps

Exactly. Thank you for posting the numbers. Super-high clockspeed doesn't mean it's moving the same amount of data per clock.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 HuusAsking

Sony has been continually lowering the memory requirements for XMB so they could have it in-game. Sony can't take the memory away now, games have already been created since then that take advantage of it. It would break software compatibility to up the requirements again.

mbrockway
So what if someone pops in say MGS4 or some other fresh PS3 game in an older PS3 that has been isolated from networks? It'll still have the bulkier GameOS and no means to update it (no Internet).
mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 mbrockway
[QUOTE="mbrockway"]

HuusAsking

So what if someone pops in say MGS4 or some other fresh PS3 game in an older PS3 that has been isolated from networks? It'll still have the bulkier GameOS and no means to update it (no Internet).

All PS3 games come with firmware updates on disc. The game would come with at least the firmware required to run it, just like the PSP.

crispytheone88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 crispytheone88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts

The 360 certainly has a superior memory set up when compared to the PS3, that said, the PS# CAN access the 256 that is supposed to be used exclusivly fro the CPU, and use it for the GPU, its just not very effecient, but it can be done

I'm telling you people, these two systems are rediciously close in power, the fanboys here in system wars argue over graphics after comparing picture with microscopes

BOTH systems are awesomely powerful, both system produce roughly the same quality graphics, we should be arguing about the game, upcoming and currently out, thats the main diffrence between these two systems

Beaglesniffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#69 Beaglesniffer
Member since 2006 • 707 Posts

The 360 certainly has a superior memory set up when compared to the PS3, that said, the PS# CAN access the 256 that is supposed to be used exclusivly fro the CPU, and use it for the GPU, its just not very effecient, but it can be done

I'm telling you people, these two systems are rediciously close in power, the fanboys here in system wars argue over graphics after comparing picture with microscopes

BOTH systems are awesomely powerful, both system produce roughly the same quality graphics, we should be arguing about the game, upcoming and currently out, thats the main diffrence between these two systems

crispytheone88
agreed
fiercedeity901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 fiercedeity901
Member since 2005 • 6291 Posts

Why must we always butt heads on this issue?

Get it?! Get it!!!???

Chutebox
this topic should have ended here lmao
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 HuusAsking

crispytheone88
I wouldn't say they're awesomely powerful (particularly against modern PCs)--simply comparably powerful.
skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts
[QUOTE="Beaglesniffer"]ps3 OS takes up 64mb x360 OS takes up 32mb you also have to remember x360 has an added 10mb of edram which is only used for the GPU the 360 ram is clocked at 700mhz PS3 gpu ram is 700mhz and the system ram is at 3.2ghz as it is combined with the cell i think although it may be the other way round but im sure im right :) plus x360 edram has an extremely high bandwidth therefore it doesnt affect framerates at all or only a tiny bit if the edram is used for anti aliasing or the high res, HDR etc etc basically meaning the 360 GPU is free of at least one high bandwidth effect or anything else in a game which is a really good benefit

The effect is only free if the image is sub HD (Halo 3, PGR 3, etc). 10MB isn't enough to process an HD image without tiling (breaking the image apart and rendering each part individually and then reassembling the parts).
Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts
PS3 has the better RAM options for gaming. Period, end of story. There is absolutely no reason why a game should need more than 256MB of general purpose RAM. We're not doing supercomputer modeling and simulations, we're playing games.AmyMizuno
No Amy, there are advantages and disadvantages to each. The 360 model is much more flexible at the expense of top end performance, while the PS3 has a little more top end power at the expense of flexability. Oh, and the 360 can dictate the use of less than 256 MB of RAM for the CPU and the GPU can have access to that RAM without a performance penalty. Your own statement is contradictory.
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
old talk that i don't wannna go over again.
snorlaxmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76 snorlaxmaster
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts
First of all if i am not mistaken, the PS3s CPU can indeed access the second pool of 256mb GDDR3 RAM (which is used for GPU) and add it to the current 256mb XDR RAM. This process however cannot be the inverse due to bottlenecking problems. As far as the 360s RAM goes, it is way easier for devs to put a majority of the RAM available towards one or the other eithere CPU or GPU. However that as well has its certain draw backs. Unified RAM creates its own bottleneck as both the GPU and the CPU are trying to take the same RAM which slows down opperations altoghether. I thought it should also be noted that the PS3s OS not only takes 60-something mb i believe, and that the 360 has another 10mb dedicated for AA i believe (feel free to correct me if i am wrong).
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts
So, are we all suddenly people who designed the PS3 and 360, so we know exactly how any game can utilize the RAM in each console? Are we all suddenly developers who know how to use this power effectively, so we know exactly how each game uses the RAM?

I didn't think so. So unless someone here actually developed a game for either, or either of the systems, hardware comparison threads really should die.
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

So, are we all suddenly people who designed the PS3 and 360, so we know exactly how any game can utilize the RAM in each console? Are we all suddenly developers who know how to use this power effectively, so we know exactly how each game uses the RAM?

I didn't think so. So unless someone here actually developed a game for either, or either of the systems, hardware comparison threads really should die.
carrot-cake

You don't need to be a game developer to know that RAM is important for games. As a PC gamer, I can tell you that having little RAM can make some games unplayable. I remember how hard it was for me to play NeverWinter Nights 2 on my PC when I had 512mb RAM, it lagged and crashed alot so I gave up on it. as soon as I upgraded to 1024mb RAM, it ran smooth. Please explain how we need to be game developers to know that RAM is important for games?

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
Both have the same amount of RAM, just used differently.
Burnsmiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Burnsmiesta
Member since 2004 • 1672 Posts
General RAAM
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

General RAAMBurnsmiesta

He looks better on the PC version of Gears of War, due to more RAM :P

Burnsmiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Burnsmiesta
Member since 2004 • 1672 Posts

[QUOTE="Burnsmiesta"]General RAAMPandaBear86

He looks better on the PC version of Gears of War, due to more RAM :P

Haha, very nice :lol:
lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

In the PLAYSTATION 3, the FlexIO interfaces connecting the Cell BE to its companion chips provide an aggregate bandwidth of 40 GB/s.

Rambus, that makes flexIO, the memory controller in Ps3 says it provides 40GB/s throughput. Where does this 22GB/s value come from?

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]So, are we all suddenly people who designed the PS3 and 360, so we know exactly how any game can utilize the RAM in each console? Are we all suddenly developers who know how to use this power effectively, so we know exactly how each game uses the RAM?

PandaBear86

You don't need to be a game developer to know that RAM is important for games. As a PC gamer, I can tell you that having little RAM can make some games unplayable. I remember how hard it was for me to play NeverWinter Nights 2 on my PC when I had 512mb RAM, it lagged and crashed alot so I gave up on it. as soon as I upgraded to 1024mb RAM, it ran smooth. Please explain how we need to be game developers to know that RAM is important for games?

Well its obvious that more RAM is very important for games, as a PC gamer, I also know that playing with a low amount of RAM isn't very good at all. However, we all know that RAM for consoles are used a bit different than a PC. Also, all of the hardware such as the CPU and GPU would also probably be used differently, where as in a PC game its much easier to comprehend how the games use the hardware effectively.
Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Steppy_76

In the PLAYSTATION 3, the FlexIO interfaces connecting the Cell BE to its companion chips provide an aggregate bandwidth of 40 GB/s.

Rambus, that makes flexIO, the memory controller in Ps3 says it provides 40GB/s throughput. Where does this 22GB/s value come from?

lordxymor
Think of it like this. FlexIO is a highway with a speed limit of 100 MPH, while the cars(RAM) have a top speed of 65. If cars could go 100 MPH the road could take them, but they only go 65.
Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Steppy_76
First of all if i am not mistaken, the PS3s CPU can indeed access the second pool of 256mb GDDR3 RAM (which is used for GPU) and add it to the current 256mb XDR RAM. This process however cannot be the inverse due to bottlenecking problems. As far as the 360s RAM goes, it is way easier for devs to put a majority of the RAM available towards one or the other eithere CPU or GPU. However that as well has its certain draw backs. Unified RAM creates its own bottleneck as both the GPU and the CPU are trying to take the same RAM which slows down opperations altoghether. I thought it should also be noted that the PS3s OS not only takes 60-something mb i believe, and that the 360 has another 10mb dedicated for AA i believe (feel free to correct me if i am wrong).snorlaxmaster
The RSX can read from the XDR at about 60% of it's speed(15.5 GB/s) and write to it at about 40% of its speed(10.8 GB/s), so it takes a big hit when it goes beyond the 256 Meg of GDDR3. You are correct in that a unified memory architecture causes come contention in accessing the RAM, but unlike a PC the memory controller in the 360 helps sort that out as the GPU and CPU both are directly connected to it.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

lordxymor

FlexIO isn't a memory controller, it's a bus (like PCI-e in a PC). Exactly like that description says, it connects the Cell to the other chips like RSX. It's what allows Cell to send commands to RSX, and for RSX to request that the Cell reads data from the XDR memory. The 22GB/s value is the amount of bandwidth between the RSX and the GDDR3 memory, which has nothing to do with FlexIO.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
[QUOTE="arachosia"]

Does it really matter? As we've seen, both systems seem to be very similar in graphics capabilities.

I'm surprised they only have 512MB of RAM though...RAM is so cheap. Couldn't they have put at least 2GB in their systems?

PandaBear86

Well apparently when Epic begged for the 360 to have 512mb RAM instead of 256mb, MS said it would cost them a whopping $900 million during the consoles lifecycle. I have no ideahow this could be true :|

Ram doesn't cost that much right?
mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 mbrockway
[QUOTE="PandaBear86"][QUOTE="arachosia"]

Does it really matter? As we've seen, both systems seem to be very similar in graphics capabilities.

I'm surprised they only have 512MB of RAM though...RAM is so cheap. Couldn't they have put at least 2GB in their systems?

jasonharris48

Well apparently when Epic begged for the 360 to have 512mb RAM instead of 256mb, MS said it would cost them a whopping $900 million during the consoles lifecycle. I have no ideahow this could be true :|

It does when multiplied by like 50 million 360's. >_

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="jasonharris48"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"][QUOTE="arachosia"]

mbrockway

It does when multiplied by like 50 million 360's. >_

It also helps to wind the clock back three years...when 1GB machines were a rarity

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 HuusAsking

Well its obvious that more RAM is very important for games, as a PC gamer, I also know that playing with a low amount of RAM isn't very good at all. However, we all know that RAM for consoles are used a bit different than a PC. Also, all of the hardware such as the CPU and GPU would also probably be used differently, where as in a PC game its much easier to comprehend how the games use the hardware effectively.carrot-cake
But games are getting bigger and bigger. Gamers want larger and more complex experiences, and this inevitably requires more memory; no ifs, ands, or buts about it. It's like trying to fit a baker's dozen in an egg carton. Take a look at Crysis. Even when you take out the overhead from the OS, even when you reduce the detail levels down to their minima, a single level in Crysis eats up so much in system memory alone that Crytek has itself frankly said that porting Crysis to a console at this point is patently ridiculous--since to them gimping the game would essentially ruin its essential aspects. And I haven't even touched on the graphics memory.
Cipher92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Cipher92
Member since 2003 • 320 Posts
Hopefully the next set of consoles come with lots or even too much ram seeing as it is always the cheapest part when compared to cpu and gpu prices.
speedsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 speedsix
Member since 2003 • 1076 Posts
There is absolutely no reason why a game should need more than 256MB of general purpose RAMAmyMizuno
You're not being serious, are you??