PS3 - now or wait a year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 anandram
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

so yea....buy it now or wait a year? can i get some unbiased honest pov's please and not fanboys who detest 360's. :)

Why should i buy one now when im thinking thres like 2 unique games for it worth getting? The others i have on my 360.

Thanks

anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 anandram
BTW i meant 2 unique games AT PRESENT.
r11011b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 r11011b
Member since 2006 • 487 Posts
I don't know, really. I own both consoles, but in all honesty you'd probably be better off sticking with just the 360 for right now. I mean, I like the PS3, and I feel that it's finally starting to ramp up, but at the moment there's no real reason to rush out and buy one just yet.
0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
well you'd only be waiting a few weeks (2 or 3 weeks) for a new game to come out (Lair, and or Warhawk, both out in mid/late august). Which is time to beat resistance a few times, and then beat motorstorm. And if you're REALLY good, you might get half way through NGS. lol.

Its really up to you, if you want to wait untill all these games are out, and you just buy them , or if you want to pay $600 for the 80 gig system. Or if you want to wait a YEAR (why a year?). IMO, you might as well get one now. At least that way you'd have the Emotion Engine chip (98% BC).

But its really up to you. You're the only one that can ultimately answer that question. Read up on it. Read up on some of the titles coming out, see if you're interested. Warhawk sounds really fun. and it comes with a bluetooth headset. can't go wrong! :)
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

My advice is the same as what I'm doing: Waiting till later in the year to buy a PS3 when games like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, GTAIV, Haze, UT3 and Assassin's Creed are released.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
you might as well go ahead and get one while the 60g models are still around at $500, because I doubt they will be around this time next year and I dont think that the 80g model will have dropped below $500.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
^ thats what I was thinking, now is a good time to buy a PS3 due to the price cut which won't last long. I would buy now if you have the money since there are obviously some great titles coming out for the PS3 in the future. You can wait for them without a PS3, or you can wait with a PS3 and play Resistance and stuff. The only advantage of waiting is you can see if some games will flop (for example Echo Chrome and Uncharted are both IMO games that look good but have a chance to turn out crap in the end).
Avatar image for deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
deactivated-5f89ab8e63049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts
I'm waiting like I did with the PS2. It's far too expensive for me (no price cut in Europe - thanks Sony!), so I'll wait until the prices do drop, and there's a larger catalogue of games to play. Most of the good ones are coming out next year anywho.
D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts
If you get it now you can enjoy your 2 good unique games while waiting for all of the great releases this fall/winter (1 or 2 great games each month, no multiplats i'm talking downright exclusives). But it's up to you, or you could do what i want to do, enjoy both systems awesome fall/winter lineup :)
HeHateMe_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HeHateMe_basic
Member since 2002 • 7161 Posts
you can get a ps3 from Dell.com on payments.
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 anandram
Ya, im ok for payments thanks...lol. I got th mony, i shud prob mention im from uk too if that matters? Ill prob end up waiting for about half a year or so for the releases like killzone, however i guess whether i get it now or later, doesnt really matter does it? Subject to price drops etc.
Tamarind_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tamarind_Face
Member since 2007 • 2270 Posts
I think you should buy it... because If you wait, you wouldnt have much time playing all the games thats be released. There are tons of games coming to the 360 and PS3, I own both. I dont know where to get the money and time to play all of these games.
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 anandram

I think you should buy it... because If you wait, you wouldnt have much time playing all the games thats be released. There are tons of games coming to the 360 and PS3, I own both. I dont know where to get the money and time to play all of these games.Tamarind_Face

My friend i game 40+ hours a weeek, ill find time :)

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 colmusterd28
Member since 2006 • 2854 Posts

well you'd only be waiting a few weeks (2 or 3 weeks) for a new game to come out (Lair, and or Warhawk, both out in mid/late august). Which is time to beat resistance a few times, and then beat motorstorm. And if you're REALLY good, you might get half way through NGS. lol.

Its really up to you, if you want to wait untill all these games are out, and you just buy them , or if you want to pay $600 for the 80 gig system. Or if you want to wait a YEAR (why a year?). IMO, you might as well get one now. At least that way you'd have the Emotion Engine chip (98% BC).

But its really up to you. You're the only one that can ultimately answer that question. Read up on it. Read up on some of the titles coming out, see if you're interested. Warhawk sounds really fun. and it comes with a bluetooth headset. can't go wrong! :)
0rin

Ok this is the kind of crap that gets this poor guy in to buy a single A game... TC, Warhawk and Lair don't look mindblowing at all. Completely average. The best possible desician right now is to dive in to that rich holiday 360 lineup of games that are screaming AAA and get a PS3 after another couple price drops... its really an easy decician...

andyb1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 andyb1205
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

[QUOTE="0rin"]well you'd only be waiting a few weeks (2 or 3 weeks) for a new game to come out (Lair, and or Warhawk, both out in mid/late august). Which is time to beat resistance a few times, and then beat motorstorm. And if you're REALLY good, you might get half way through NGS. lol.

colmusterd28

Ok this is the kind of crap that gets this poor guy in to buy a single A game... TC, Warhawk and Lair don't look mindblowing at all. Completely average. The best possible desician right now is to dive in to that rich holiday 360 lineup of games that are screaming AAA and get a PS3 after another couple price drops... its really an easy decician...

Listen to this guy. Warhawk isn't AAA material, nor is Lair.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
unless you're starved for games i'd say wait. price will get better and the games will too.
SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SegArgyle
Member since 2004 • 2371 Posts
honestly I'd wait till spring of next year
KirbyFan10101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KirbyFan10101
Member since 2005 • 890 Posts
360 is the better console now. Wait and see what happens with the PS3's lineup for 08, and if its awesome, buy it then. "Buy and wait" isn't an intelligent philosophy.
Doomshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Doomshine
Member since 2004 • 908 Posts
I'll probably get one during or after christmas, should be enough good games out by then.
Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Uptown
Member since 2002 • 10348 Posts

Personally Id get one now to ensure the $499 pricepoint. As who knows what theyre doing once the 60GB model is gone, they might reduce the 80GB to $499...but nonetheless.....

Within the next 5 Months:

Exclusives:

Lair

Heavenly Sword

Uncharted

Warhawk

Ratchet & Clank

WipEout HD

LittleBigPlanet Beta

PlayStation Home

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online

SOCOM Confrontation

Haze

Unreal Tournament III

Hot Shots Golf 5

Everyday Shooter

SingStar

Folklore

Multiplatforms:

Grand Theft Auto IV

Assassin's Creed

Burnout Paradise

Madden NFL 08

Half-Life 2: Orange Box

Guitar Hero III

Clive Barker's Jericho

Sega Rally Revo

etc etc..........

PS3 is finally going to get its rush of games starting in August....and its going to run all the way through next year as well

Metal Gear Solid 4

Killzone 2

LittleBigPlanet

Gran Turismo 5

Tekken 6

White Knight Story

Final Fantasy XIII

Devil May Cry 4

Silent Hill 5

.....to wait another year from NOW...you'd be missing out on alot even some of those 2008 games that will be out before the spring. LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4 are definitely in Quarter 1 2008. At the latest id recomment getting one for Christmas.

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts

[QUOTE="0rin"]well you'd only be waiting a few weeks (2 or 3 weeks) for a new game to come out (Lair, and or Warhawk, both out in mid/late august). Which is time to beat resistance a few times, and then beat motorstorm. And if you're REALLY good, you might get half way through NGS. lol.

colmusterd28

Says the guy who can't make a decision on how to spell decision. I never claimed Warhawk or lair were anything above "A" titles, nor did I even come remotely close to saying "mindblowing". I just said they were coming out in august, and looked fun. You guys man.. so blood thirsty, and negative. Yet you say the 360 has definate AAA titles? Yeah, thats not totaly fanboyish and biased AT ALL. Such a hyppocrite.

Go punch a pillow or something man. I was just giving him my opinion, and you flame me for crap I didn't even say!
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

Honestly, if you have a working X360, PS3 will only offer a handful of titles you can't play on X360. If you really think you are not intrested in playing HSword, LAIR, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Haze, UT3, or something like Warhawk.....wait until March of next year. By then Killzone, GT5, MGS4, and maybe FF13 will be out.....it's definetly worth getting then.

Personally if I saw MassEffect, Halo3, Bio-Shock, Splinter Cell, PGR4, and Ace Combat (pretty diverse set of games...RPG, FPS, Stealth, Racer, Air Sim)....maybe I wouldn't need to play those other games.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darthogre

you might as well go ahead and get one while the 60g models are still around at $500, because I doubt they will be around this time next year and I dont think that the 80g model will have dropped below $500.laughingman42

My guess is that bundle will be reduced to $500 when 60gig runs out. Once that bundle runs it's course (since it's limited), my guess is that rumored 40 gig version for $399 will be released in Oct or maybe even the launch day of Halo3. If a 3rd party developer is saying this will not be the last price cut this year....I'm inclined to believe the rumored $399 sku before the end of the year. When that happens, PS3 is going to explode this holiday season.

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

If you already own an Xbox 360, it's better to wait a year for the PlayStation 3. Don't get me wrong, this year is great for the PS3, but in comparison it's absolutely mindblowing for the 360, with big name games such as Halo 3, Madden 08, Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto IV and BioShock. You'd do better to invest your money in those 360 games rather than splashing out on a console with not much to offer just yet. Personally, i'm buying a PS3 over a 360 this year, but that's only because I want to be prepared for MGS4's launch and can't afford to buy two full-priced next-gen consoles in one year.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts

You should buy one now because those 2 good games (Stardust kicks ass too) will last you the 2 weeks until the waves of other great games start coming out. In the next 6 months there are going to be a ridiculous number of good games and features coming up for PS3 that you shouldn't miss.... LittleBigPlanet alone makes it worth getting imo. Also then you're guarunteed to get the best version of each multiplat. UT3 and Haze are definitely PS3 primary games.

You could easily go this fall fine with only a 360 but if you have the money there is absolutely no point in waiting (if you have the money) when there are tons of good games on PS3 also. Good to play the best of everything.

crazyjames1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 crazyjames1080
Member since 2006 • 7377 Posts

Personally, i'm buying a PS3 over a 360 this year, but that's only because I want to be prepared for MGS4's launch and can't afford to buy two full-priced next-gen consoles in one year.

-Spock-

Yeah, I may do the same. Purchasing both this year won't be financially viable for me.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darthogre

If you already own an Xbox 360, it's better to wait a year for the PlayStation 3. Don't get me wrong, this year is great for the PS3, but in comparison it's absolutely mindblowing for the 360, with big name games such as Halo 3, Madden 08, Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto IV and BioShock. You'd do better to invest your money in those 360 games rather than splashing out on a console with not much to offer just yet. Personally, i'm buying a PS3 over a 360 this year, but that's only because I want to be prepared for MGS4's launch and can't afford to buy two full-priced next-gen consoles in one year.

-Spock-

Just one question, what about renting games? Do you really need to buy everything?

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts
[QUOTE="-Spock-"]

darthogre

Just one question, what about renting games? Do you really need to buy everything?

A good question, but several of the games I listed should really be bought. Mass Effect will be about 50 hours, Halo 3... Xbox Live pretty much explains itself, Grand Theft Autos are usually in the region of 60-100 hours and Madden 08 will probably be, like the years before it, as addictive as ever. But sure, all the little games in between like Medal of Honor, Burnout Paradise or Assassins Creed are good rentals.

andyb1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 andyb1205
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts
[QUOTE="darthogre"][QUOTE="-Spock-"]

-Spock-

A good question, but several of the games I listed should really be bought. Mass Effect will be about 50 hours, Halo 3... Xbox Live pretty much explains itself, Grand Theft Autos are usually in the region of 60-100 hours and Madden 08 will probably be, like the years before it, as addictive as ever. But sure, all the little games in between like Medal of Honor, Burnout Paradise or Assassins Creed are good rentals.

Games that should be rent are the PS3 games, like Lair, Uncharted, Heavenly sword, being 10-15 hours of long only. And maybe Assassin's Creed as well which will be better on Xbox 360 cause PS3 sucks for almost all multiplats.

And YES Xbox 360 will most likely have more AAA games, Bioshock, Mass Effect, HALO 3.The only AAA game PS3 will have this year will be GTAIV, which is multiplat and Xbox 360 is getting exclusive content for.

Sacred-Snow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Sacred-Snow
Member since 2006 • 675 Posts
Get it now during the price drop, and Lair as well as some other great looking titles will be released during the next few months.
1337cole1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 1337cole1337
Member since 2007 • 226 Posts
if all the good games are coming out near christmas, why not get one around that time.
-Sir-Poof-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -Sir-Poof-
Member since 2006 • 4544 Posts
I say wait til the 80gig drops to 500, it shouldnt take a year for it to happen and plus all the big titles will be out by then.
idontknow1110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 idontknow1110
Member since 2003 • 129 Posts
He lives in the UK which means there is no price drop for him. Waiting would be the best option.
Avatar image for WalterPaladines
WalterPaladines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WalterPaladines
Member since 2003 • 1742 Posts
[QUOTE="colmusterd28"]

andyb1205

Listen to this guy. Warhawk isn't AAA material, nor is Lair.

Yeah because this guy is not biased huh? Lair will be AAA mark my words, also warhawk will be lots of fun we will see.

TheSnappleCap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheSnappleCap
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts

colmusterd28

Mass Efect, Bioshock, Halo 3 uhh..what else is there? (Exclusively)

Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Timesplitter14
Member since 2006 • 5934 Posts
September
afmsquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 afmsquid
Member since 2006 • 1623 Posts
If you want to be able to play all of your ps2 games, then get it now for $499, if you don't mind not being able to play all of your PS2 games, then wait until at least November.
Redgarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Redgarl
Member since 2002 • 13252 Posts
You should wait until everything worth playing is released. A price cut will probably follow also.
Avatar image for norfair_dweller
norfair_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 norfair_dweller
Member since 2007 • 1639 Posts
The PS3 is getting better games towards the end of the year, so I would get it then if you plan to buy one.