PS3 needs cross game chat IMO

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UltimateRAGEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 UltimateRAGEX
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts

After 3 years or so the PS3 has been out, Sony fail to bring out cross game chat in a firmware update (by cross game chat I mean VOICE) not text. This is IMO, the main reason I prefer Xbox Live over PSN because I can just chat to my friends whenever I want and not have to use 'chat rooms' or send text messages.

Also I think they should bring out Voice Messaging. Currently the only way to voice chat with people is in game chat and on the XMB menu which is a bit lame tbh. I have a Bluetooth mic for my PS3 but I hardly get to use it, not to mention most people on PSN don't even have mics. I also think Sony should include a mic when you purchase a PS3 because then people will be encouraged to use chat.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

ehh, i could care less for cross game chat IMO, when someone wants to talk i just exit game and chill and talk so its not a big deal to me

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
The Party System is way more important then Cross Game Chat. I personally perfer not hearing gamers when I'm playing online because they are annoying for the most part (Friends are the exception).
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I'd much prefer a system like XBL's party system.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

ehh, i could care less for cross game chat IMO, when someone wants to talk i just exit game and chill and talk so its not a big deal to me

Chris_Williams

same here.But i am blasting my PSP more than my PS3 or wii the now so its all good :P

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
I myself could care less about that feature.
jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

t defently doesnt. look how bad it made 360's online. no one uses their mic outside of the chat. that will block any strategy witht he team and even worse you wont realy meet new peaple. i prefer playing games online for my ps3 snce more peaple are tacticle and talk more

RickLemieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RickLemieux
Member since 2003 • 517 Posts

I really wish they would add it as well. Sometimes I chat with my friends on Live while playing on my PS3. I might even get rid of my 360 if they added it, as most of my friends have both consoles now.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

t defently doesnt. look how bad it made 360's online. no one uses their mic outside of the chat. that will block any strategy witht he team and even worse you wont realy meet new peaple. i prefer playing games online for my ps3 snce more peaple are tacticle and talk more

jsh020

I played MW2 on PSN, and there was a guy singing "Baby" for like 10 matchs, great teamwork by him. How does party chat/cross game chat make XBL bad? Shame on MS giving us the option of talking to our friends while playing different games.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
It's a nice feature, not needed, but comes in handy. It would only be a plus.
I myself could care less about that feature.FIipMode
Why? Do you care a lot then?
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

As far as I remember, Sony is being encouraged (threatened) to not implement it by certain companies bucase of certain games that are'nt compatible with Cross Game Chat.

Luckily, I don't really care.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
Here is what I don't get. PSN get's blasted here because people claim it's online community is not as mic oriented as Live's because of lack of standard mics but then people want the ability on PSN to talk to people who AREN'T IN THE GAME YOUR PLAYING or Party chat where you only talk to people IN YOUR PARTY, once again putting the community in a position where strangers playing the same game won't communicate strategically. I think the ability to talk to people who I am playing with is the most important feature. Having the ability to talk to some one else in another game or bringing up more ways to exclude other doesn't really add socially to the community.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Every console needs cross game chat. There's no excuse.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"] Why? Do you care a lot then?

I don't care at all about the feature.
Avatar image for ProjectNatalFan
ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ProjectNatalFan
Member since 2010 • 2471 Posts

if sony ever comes out with it, expect it to be on PS plus and not PSN Free.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

jsh020

agreed, nobody talks in games anymore.

and why the hell would i want to talk to people playing a different game than me?

im not a woman, i dont want to talk about my day with people online. I want to talk about the game im playing, while im playing it.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Javy03

[QUOTE="jsh020"]

DroidPhysX

I played MW2 on PSN, and there was a guy singing "Baby" for like 10 matchs, great teamwork by him. How does party chat/cross game chat make XBL bad? Shame on MS giving us the option of talking to our friends while playing different games.

You can mute people like him and that would be the end of that. The ability to avoid talking to strangers in game doesn't help. I have met many new PSN friends because I played with them and worked well with them. How does it help a game if you have 5-6 people on your team but you only communicate to the two in your party.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I don't even care as much about cross game chat as i do just about chat in general. Sure it supports headsets, but they should have made them standard. No one has them.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Javy03

goblaa
Why, what does it add? If your not talking to the person in the game your playing, how is it beneficial to gaming at all? Maybe the people who use it as a social network would like it but I only talk to my friends in my friends list when I am playing a game with them.
Avatar image for ProjectNatalFan
ProjectNatalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ProjectNatalFan
Member since 2010 • 2471 Posts

its funny how nobody cares but everyone likes it on xbox live.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

Javy03

Why, what does it add? If your not talking to the person in the game your playing, how is it beneficial to gaming at all? Maybe the people who use it as a social network would like it but I only talk to my friends in my friends list when I am playing a game with them.

Because I can turn on my console, instantly start a chat up with anyone in my friend list who also has theit console on, say hello, and ask if they want to play a game together.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

Javy03

Its a choice. You don't have to use it, but it would be nice if those that did had access to it.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Sony should start bundling headsets with certain games. If it's like the $80 limited edition of Socom 4 then a limited edition headset would be a great pack-in. If it's just a $60 game that they want to include a headset with, they can use the crappier wired mics that the PS2 used (which are fully PS3 compatible, BTW).
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Javy03

[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="goblaa"]

goblaa

Because I can turn on my console, instantly start a chat up with anyone in my friend list who also has theit console on, say hello, and ask if they want to play a game together.

I do that too, I look on my friends list and see who is either playing the game I wanna play or willing to play the game I wanna play and type in short hand, wanna play ....? That message is all that I need to communicate. After that they write yea or no with an excuse and I move on to playing the game anyways.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61543 Posts

It hasn't bothered me since release, so I see no reason i'd need it now.

I don't even use the function for my 360. I understand why people would want it, but i'll survive.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 razgriz_101

its funny how nobody cares but everyone likes it on xbox live.

ProjectNatalFan

its funny cause i actually really dont care bout it :o i like to be a recluse when im playing SP games.Besides i have other ways of communicating with the world at large as my laptops always sitting beside me :P

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Javy03

Kickinurass

Its a choice. You don't have to use it, but it would be nice if those that did had access to it.

I understand it's always great to have choices but honestly I don't think it's a choice that helps out the community. I think it fragments it into the "people playing with friends" and the "people playing without friends".
Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#29 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts
I heard from somewhere that it was because MS made license about cross-game voice chat so that SONY can't add this feature.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Kickinurass

well if its like xbox live then in becomes impossible to communicate with the people you are actually playing with... and its completely silent.

hell the only reason i occasionally play TDM in MW2 is so i can reassure myself that when i play online im actually playing real people since party chat isnt allowed.

CuteCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CuteCakes
Member since 2010 • 756 Posts
DESPERATELY needs it. So sick and tired of trying to connect with friends when we're playing different games. The chat room is a joke.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Filthybastrd

I heard from somewhere that it was because MS made license about cross-game voice chat so that SONY can't add this feature.Kleeyook

I remember an (Kotaku I think) article about an unamed company and an unamed game about a young wizard with a lightning shaped scar on his face. Apparently, the game would'nt work with CGC and as such, Sony was "encouraged" to not implement CGC.

If that article held any truth, I'm sure it's not just one game but I find it feasible that fx Activision's predecessor in all things evil, are able and willing to apply leverage to a company if it results in them getting their way.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
Get a phone?
ujjval16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ujjval16
Member since 2008 • 1669 Posts
To be honest, XBL's party chat is probably one of the only reasons I game. I love being able to talk to 7 of my friends even though we're all playing different games. I'll be playing Bioshock, my friend will be playing Halo, and another on CoD. I've actually gotten to the point where if I can't talk to my friends while I play, I don't play.
CuteCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CuteCakes
To be honest, XBL's party chat is probably one of the only reasons I game. I love being able to talk to 7 of my friends even though we're all playing different games. I'll be playing Bioshock, my friend will be playing Halo, and another on CoD. I've actually gotten to the point where if I can't talk to my friends while I play, I don't play. ujjval16
Exactly. PS3-only owners only seem not to care because they've never tried it and probably don't know how it works. And are a little jealous.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Filthybastrd

To be honest, XBL's party chat is probably one of the only reasons I game. I love being able to talk to 7 of my friends even though we're all playing different games. I'll be playing Bioshock, my friend will be playing Halo, and another on CoD. I've actually gotten to the point where if I can't talk to my friends while I play, I don't play. ujjval16

You're cross game chatting while playing Bioshock?

Loading up Metro 2033 is usually when I shut down Vent (if I'm on it ofc).

ujjval16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ujjval16

[QUOTE="ujjval16"]To be honest, XBL's party chat is probably one of the only reasons I game. I love being able to talk to 7 of my friends even though we're all playing different games. I'll be playing Bioshock, my friend will be playing Halo, and another on CoD. I've actually gotten to the point where if I can't talk to my friends while I play, I don't play. Filthybastrd

Why not? I get lonely playing by myself.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

[QUOTE="ujjval16"]To be honest, XBL's party chat is probably one of the only reasons I game. I love being able to talk to 7 of my friends even though we're all playing different games. I'll be playing Bioshock, my friend will be playing Halo, and another on CoD. I've actually gotten to the point where if I can't talk to my friends while I play, I don't play. ujjval16

Fair enough, to each his own :) It's just a foreign concept to someone like me, who prefers solitude (ok, my wife can stay) when I play SP games.

ujjval16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ujjval16

[QUOTE="ujjval16"][QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

Filthybastrd

Fair enough, to each his own :) It's just a foreign concept to someone like me, who prefers solitude (ok, my wife can stay) when I play SP games.

Yea I'm the complete opposite. I was 13 when I played Metroid Prime in 2002, and I was so affected by the atmosphere of isolation that I couldn't even complete the game :P It just made me feel so lonely.
mystervj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mystervj
Member since 2010 • 2213 Posts
I don't even have a headset for PS3, nor does a lot of ppl, so it's pretty useless to me. Seems more suitable to the 360 culture.
Ultra_Combo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ultra_Combo
Member since 2009 • 1494 Posts

So funny some of the responses here, like Oh I can jst leave my game sit in the menu's while I talk so it's no biggy LMAO. It's embarrasing not to have this feature after 4 years.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Yes, I agree so much with this.

Helps a LOT for me.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 razgriz_101

So funny some of the responses here, like Oh I can jst leave my game sit in the menu's while I talk so it's no biggy LMAO. It's embarrasing not to have this feature after 4 years.

Ultra_Combo

what so its a crime for me when i play an SP i want to play it and absorb it not having my mate going omg look at whats on teh tv or "insert silly garbage here" in multiplayer i could see it being beneficial but other than that i really do think its an absoultely meh and overrated feature which lemming seem to think is the holy grail of XBL.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

well if its like xbox live then in becomes impossible to communicate with the people you are actually playing with... and its completely silent.

hell the only reason i occasionally play TDM in MW2 is so i can reassure myself that when i play online im actually playing real people since party chat isnt allowed.

markinthedark

I understand it's always great to have choices but honestly I don't think it's a choice that helps out the community. I think it fragments it into the "people playing with friends" and the "people playing without friends". Javy03

A legitimate concern, and it does happen to an extent on the 360. It's up the the developers to encourage teamwork and coordination though.

I enjoy the approach Halo Reach is taking with the Social Settings - I believe it resolves the issue nicely. People in a party automatically have their "Chattiness" set to Quiet, and tend to be paired with people without mics, other parties, or people who just plain don't like to talk online.

Conversely, setting it to "Chatty" led to some hilarious pairings in the beta :P Hopefully more devs implement similar features in the future.

Ultra_Combo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ultra_Combo
Member since 2009 • 1494 Posts

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

razgriz_101

what so its a crime for me when i play an SP i want to play it and absorb it not having my mate going omg look at whats on teh tv or "insert silly garbage here" in multiplayer i could see it being beneficial but other than that i really do think its an absoultely meh and overrated feature which lemming seem to think is the holy grail of XBL.

Yes because if you don;t want to be disturbed your "mate" can just barge into your chat and make you talk right :roll: Funny cows try to downplay it and really have no ideal how it even works as can be attest to by this very post.

CuteCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CuteCakes

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

Ultra_Combo

Yes because if you don;t want to be disturbed your "mate" can just barge into your chat and make you talk right :roll: Funny cows try to downplay it and really have no ideal how it even works as can be attest to by this very post.

Cows acting like they're forced to use it! :D Aren't they all about OPTIONS since PSN Plus? Guess OPTIONS only apply when they're on the PS3.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

Ultra_Combo

funny how im actually not a cow...Dont just base everything of a sig on a forum.So what i think its actually a meh feature i like to keep myself to myself in an sp sesh if my friends really need me they have a thing called my phone number.

But i love your logic dictates this lemming (c wat i did thar?)

CuteCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CuteCakes
Oh and the chart room pop-ups on PSn is worse than anything on Xbox LIVE. The whole chat room "solution" is just embarrassing..
Thelast21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Thelast21
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts

goblaa

lol wut?

Thelast21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Thelast21
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts

I dont really care about it since I much rather text than talk.