PS3 Could KILL the 360 Just cause of its brand name..

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

L_G_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 L_G_X
Member since 2007 • 542 Posts

Hello there guys and (few) girls...

Ill make this quick...

Last gen, playstation 2 was the outright winner (in most peoples eyes) however if you think about it, xbox and even gamecube still had the ps2s best multiplat games...GTA, BURNOUT for example, multiplat yet best examples of their genre...even though most ps2 games were complete shovelware and an identical, if not superior, experience could be found on an xbox or even a gamecube...

Now what pushed the ps2 was word of mouth and its brand name....Seriously i **** you not, i would say around 9/10 people i know OWN a ps2...they dont even PLAY VIDEOGAMES, but they OWN A PS2...

Believe it or not theres a world outside system wars...and there are many more people out in it then in here....now these people and their mothers arnt going to look on gaming forums and websites and see how "TEH PS£ HAS NO GAMES!!" and "OMG 360 SOOO MUCH BETTORZ!!!" they will simply see the name PLAYSTATIONand buy it....

Do you really think ps3 could have sold half ofwhat the 360sold in two years, in its first year, if people did their research thenthe ps3 wuldnt be selling nearly as well but it is selling VERY VERY WELL for a console that has "no games" and is "overpriced" and once again it is because of what you may call "casuals"simply going into a shop and overlooking the xbox and wii to get a playstation since it is such a large brand name....

So you really think all these people who have a ps2 and dont even play it...when they go for a next console ofcourse they will go for a PLAYSTATION product and overlook XBOX...

the wii is in a good position because every little child and their grannie wants it...

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

If the PS3 COULD kill the 360 just because of its brand name, then how come it hasn't sold 120 million systems already? You see, games and other things sold the PS2, not its name. And the same thing is happening with the PS3, its needs games, not a brand name, to insure victory.

On a side note, if Nintendo had such a bad brand name from the Gamecube, then why is the Wii selling so good?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#3 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I feel betrayed. That wasn't quick at all.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

I agree the Playstation is a strong brand name and has caried them this far but then again the amount of quality titles and features also helped. The fact that Sony was able to sell 5 million PS3's with $600 price tag is astounding and proof the brand is popular. Next year Sony needs more then the brand name to sell PS3's and with the recent price drop as well as killer app games arriving I can see PS3 having a wonderful 08 on par if not better then 360's 07.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 musicalmac  Moderator

I agree the Playstation is a strong brand name and has caried them this far but then again the amount of quality titles and features also helped. The fact that Sony was able to sell 5 million PS3's with $600 price tag is astounding and proof the brand is popular. Next year Sony needs more then the brand name to sell PS3's and with the recent price drop as well as killer app games arriving I can see PS3 having a wonderful 08 on par if not better then 360's 07.

Swift_Boss_A
They sold 5 million at 600 USD? I don't think I believe you.
L_G_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 L_G_X
I feel betrayed. That wasn't quick at all.musicalmac
LULZ the POPE and I....you LIE!
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]I feel betrayed. That wasn't quick at all.L_G_X

Negative, Ghost Rider. Tis true. When we shook hands, there was really a spark of Heavenly energy between us, as you can clearly see in the photo. (Ok, that last part is a lie)
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#8 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
Nintendo can kill Sony and MS with their brand name.
L_G_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 L_G_X

[QUOTE="L_G_X"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]I feel betrayed. That wasn't quick at all.musicalmac

Negative, Ghost Rider. Tis true. When we shook hands, there was really a spark of Heavenly energy between us, as you can clearly see in the photo. (Ok, that last part is a lie)

Well i dislike the new pope the last one was WAAAY better.

This german pope said that videogames are evil and that they should be destroyed....i read it in a newspaper...

jimhogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jimhogg
Member since 2004 • 747 Posts

Ill make this quick...

Last gen, playstation 2 was the outright winner (in most peoples eyes) however if you think about it, xbox and even gamecube still had the ps2s best multiplat games...GTA, BURNOUT for example, multiplat yet best examples of their genre...even though most ps2 games were complete shovelware and an identical, if not superior, experience could be found on an xbox or even a gamecube...

Now what pushed the ps2 was word of mouth and its brand name....Seriously i **** you not, i would say around 9/10 people i know OWN a ps2...they dont even PLAY VIDEOGAMES, but they OWN A PS2...

Believe it or not theres a world outside system wars...and there are many more people out in it then in here....now these people and their mothers arnt going to look on gaming forums and websites and see how "TEH PS£ HAS NO GAMES!!" and "OMG 360 SOOO MUCH BETTORZ!!!" they will simply see the name PLAYSTATIONand buy it....

Do you really think ps3 could have sold half ofwhat the 360sold in two years, in its first year, if people did their research thenthe ps3 wuldnt be selling nearly as well but it is selling VERY VERY WELL for a console that has "no games" and is "overpriced" and once again it is because of what you may call "casuals"simply going into a shop and overlooking the xbox and wii to get a playstation since it is such a large brand name....

So you really think all these people who have a ps2 and dont even play it...when they go for a next console ofcourse they will go for a PLAYSTATION product and overlook XBOX...

the wii is in a good position because every little child and their grannie wants it...

L_G_X

if sony is a brand name then what is microsoft?..................................

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 musicalmac  Moderator

Well i dislike the new pope the last one was WAAAY better.

This german pope said that videogames are evil and that they should be destroyed....i read it in a newspaper...

L_G_X
You should rename this thread, "Playstation brand name Rox, Musicalmac Really Met the Pope" :P On an aside, the old Pope was not very popular by the end. Not "forward" enough.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#12 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

What? Is it Nov 2006 again?

RIZDRAVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RIZDRAVER
Member since 2007 • 247 Posts

I'm sorry, but the days of relying on brand hype to sway people to buy the PS3 is over.

The windows with most opportunity have already passed. The pre-launch hype didn't work along with this Holiday season's all-out advertising blitz. Consumers haven't bought into it and never will as the PS3 continues to falter and get overshadowed by the other consoles. Nintendo has proven through the DS and Wii, that their brand name by far has more weight that the PS this gen.

shairoo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 shairoo11
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts

The xbox 360 is waayyyy better then the ps3 !!!!:D

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Nintendo name >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sony brand.

In video games.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Yeah the brand name is pretty strong but it gets countered by the raving fanboys out to destroy the name for no reason. If anything Xbox is the standard name of gaming in America now anyways.
deflexion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deflexion
Member since 2005 • 49 Posts

Good topic. Well said.

"Yeah the brand name is pretty strong but it gets countered by the raving fanboys out to destroy the name for no reason."

The point is that mothers buying christmas presents arent going to be checking System wars for the "fanboys" lol

Avatar image for ZeroPunctuation
ZeroPunctuation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ZeroPunctuation
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts
[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

musicalmac

They have surpassed 6 Million sold worlwide. Most of the year the PS3 was 500-600$
RIZDRAVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RIZDRAVER

I thought this thread was bumped from 2006. It's amazing that a person would make a thread like this seeing where the PS3 and PSP are in the race right now.

Ironically, it's the fact that the PS has been trying to rely on brand hype this generation that it's in last place! The hype hasn't and won't work this gen. Consumers are not buying into it. If the Sony brand was so powerful, it would have had a launch atleast as good if not better than the Wii's. And that didn't happen.

I wish they would get off the PR hype gig and try to put out a system that beat the competition in cost, ease of developement and possession of a vast solid game library. But because they've not been focused on those things, they're getting their butt kicked because the consumers are more drawn to the competition for *good reason*.

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
what are you talking about? ps2's library could eat both the xbox's and the gamecube's libraries alive at the same time with room to spare for the pc library.
c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 c_smithii
Member since 2003 • 1505 Posts

For that matter Sega, Nintendo, and Atari could have killed, but as always in this industry you cannot remain on top of the pile forever.
Sony has come crashing down to the bottom.

360 is here now and forever.

Long rule the Xbox 360 video game system!

RIZDRAVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RIZDRAVER
what are you talking about? ps2's library could eat both the xbox's and the gamecube's libraries alive at the same time with room to spare for the pc library.mistervengeance
PS2? What are you talking about? This thread is about the PS3 and 360, lol.
Consoletant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Consoletant
Member since 2003 • 1614 Posts

Did you start gaming with the Playstation?

Did you even remember the Nintendo brand name. Nintendo used to be the top of the gaming world. Then they did the same thing Sony is doing now and rely on their brand name to sell system, while shoving down components that people did not want. Guess who won the PS1 vs N64 generation?

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Relys
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts

I hate the Sony brand name.

Nintendo and Microsoft both have much higher rep points with me.

c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 c_smithii
Member since 2003 • 1505 Posts

Did you even remember the Nintendo brand name. Nintendo used to be the top of the gaming world. Then they did the same thing Sony is doing now and rely on their brand name to sell system, while shoving down components that people did not want. Guess who won the PS1 vs N64 generation?

Consoletant

PlayStation outsold Nintendo 64 and Saturn which it competed against.

Consoletant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Consoletant
Member since 2003 • 1614 Posts
[QUOTE="Consoletant"]

c_smithii

PlayStation outsold Nintendo 64 and Saturn which it competed against.

Exactly my point. Nintendo had the brandname while Sony was the young upstart who needs to go back and make TVs.There was no Playstation brand name. I still remember Nintendo hubris about the gaming world revolving around them and being smug about the Playstation. Exactly the same tone as Sony is now.The result, not even Mario 64 and the best game ever (Zelda 64) could save the N64.

RIZDRAVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RIZDRAVER

Consoletant

Great point.

I've also noticed history repeating itsself. Nintendo realized that they lost touch with the gaming community. That is the whole reason they've returned to a more simple and straight-forward style of fun, shunning the high-def gadget craze.

Sony is losing touch with what gamers want; and have been getting lost in the idea that a high-tech multi-media experience is the foundation of the video-game industry's future. They forgot the fact that FUN always rules out technology. Gamers want to have fun! Why is that so hard to understand??

MrSickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrSickVisionz
Member since 2004 • 798 Posts

Nintendo had a strong brand name, lost it twice, then came back. Brand name doesn't really carry you for too many gens. And the most major multi-plat on the PS2 was PS2 exclusive for like two years.

In all honesty, I don't think the casuals you speak of have bought a PS3, which is why the games aren't selling well. The current owners are the hardcore PlayStation brand fans who were going to get one regardless of life. Some of them even went on eBay and payed thousands for one. The casual guy isn't really interested in name alone. He needs alot of games and a cheap price. I know slot of people in my demographic (not trying to generalize or sterotype, but ALOT of young black males are like this) who had a PS2 but you ask them what games they have and they say, "Madden 05, NBA 2k5, Madden 06, NBA 2K6, Madden 07, NBA 2K7 and Vice City." They don't give a damn about FF, MGS although some do have an interest in GT. Its like they don't really even play videogames. They own like 8 titles but only have 3 games: basketball, football and vice city. That ultra casual who barely even plays videogames but had a PS2 hasn't jumped to the PS3 yet. They don't really play video games like that to justify spending $400 (or even $300 really) on a system. Plus alot of them were holding off for a PS3, but when they saw the 360s graphics and then they waited a year and saw the PS3 price, the decision was made for them. I know a large amount who got swayed. If Madden and NBA2K keep looking equally as good on both systems and the 360 getting the better version of GTA4 (MS really needs to promote that fact as much as possible to catch the attention of these people) they'll gladly jump ship.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#29 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Then why hasn't it :??
XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

If the PS3 COULD kill the 360 just because of its brand name, then how come it hasn't sold 120 million systems already? You see, games and other things sold the PS2, not its name. And the same thing is happening with the PS3, its needs games, not a brand name, to insure victory.

On a side note, if Nintendo had such a bad brand name from the Gamecube, then why is the Wii selling so good?

Grodus5

Because the PS3 received a LOT of BAD PRESS over the past 2 years and consumers watch more T.V. then spending their times on forums. The Playstation brand has been tainted and consumers weren't happy with the price of the system. Both of those things held the PS3 back from selling like it should. If the price was right and the system had received more positive word of mouth, the PS3 would have sold as much as the Wii by now. The lack of quality games didn't help either. In this case the brand name actually hurt the PS3. People are still buying more PS2's then PS3.

RIZDRAVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RIZDRAVER

MrSickVisionz, your post is funny because ultimately it's sad, but so true. Most PS owners fit the stereo-type you just illustrated.

That's the reason MGS3 only sold 3 million copies and why Lemming state it's not going to be the huge system seller cows assume it will be. The general gaming community and 95% of the 120 million PS2 owners didn't give two sh*ts about FF or MGS. And the sale numbers prove it, regardless what all of the fanboys on the forums here claim.

It's all about a cheap price and tons of games: two things the PS3 does not have going for it.

GnR-SLaSh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GnR-SLaSh
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts
[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

musicalmac

Screw up your eyes and put your fingers in your ears as much as you want, thats how many were sold at 600 USD...

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]They sold 5 million at 600 USD? I don't think I believe you.GnR-SLaSh

Screw up your eyes and put your fingers in your ears as much as you want, thats how many were sold at 600 USD...

I couldn't help but just stare blankly at your response. Not to be mean, it's just what happened.
fanboy999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fanboy999
Member since 2003 • 1444 Posts

The few games that helped launch over 100 million units are GTA3 and Guitar Hero. If those hadn't been Sony exclusives for over a year then they wouldn't have sold so many systems. I'm sure if Xbox had GTA3 first for almost 2 years they would have sold twice as many systems. And Guitar Hero wasn't available anywhere else but PS2 for about 2 years. It's true that games sell the systems. The casuals have only picked up the PS2 because it dropped to $130 and went slim.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
yeahthat's the kind of "thinking" that got Sony in the trouble it's in today. Just keep "thinking" that cows I'm sure things will magically work out for you all. :lol:
D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 D0013ER
Member since 2007 • 3765 Posts

Ill make this quick...

L_G_X

Im pretty sure that line of thinking is what put Sony in its current predicament with the PS3...

trik_trak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 trik_trak
Member since 2007 • 120 Posts

im not even gonna read the comments...

lemmings cant deny playstation brand stompsthe xbox brand away

smcg69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 smcg69
Member since 2005 • 352 Posts

Ill make this quick...

L_G_X

Its certainly possible that that could happen. Most people I know assume the PS3 is great and the 360 isn't as good even before they haveplayed both of them. These are the kinds of people who own a PS2 but are not really serious gamers.They dont even know what the lineup is for each console but for some reason they want a PS3. I even had one guy tell me that the first game he is going to buy for his PS3 is Halo 3

RIZDRAVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RIZDRAVER

im not even gonna read the comments...

lemmings cant deny playstation brand stompsthe xbox brand away

trik_trak

Haha, I see that you're well-informed. Just keep avoiding reading information.

You do realize the PS3 and PSP are dead last this generation?? You do realize if I was a fanboy I could make some lame post about how the PSP and PS3 are the ones getting stomped on?

Oops, I just did. Dammit.

Spartan-051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Spartan-051
Member since 2007 • 728 Posts

in another gen this will even out because da 360 has MS which is the biggest brand name in the universe

aside from coke

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

Ill make this quick...

L_G_X

The PS2 was great home console and DID sell well by word of mouth, but it also happened to be the "IT" item of it's time which is now the Wii. People bought "IT" because everyone had "IT" and everyone wanted "IT" which is exactly what's happening now with the Wii. So who cares if PS3 "KILLS" the 360 (Which it isn't) the Wii will DESTROY the PS3.......which IT is!

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WuTangG
Member since 2007 • 2189 Posts
Yes but Wii has killed gaming alltogether;)
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#43 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

Yes but Wii has killed gaming alltogether;)WuTangG

Really? Seems to be helping it. If the Wii is killing gaming, then the NES was killing it in 85.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts
Not reallym what mostly made the playstation 2 was the games, i know its been said to death but its the truth
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

"Nintendo" was the biggest console seller around in the 8-bit and 16-bit era, and yet that didn't stop Sony from dethrowning them with the original Playstation. Similarly, "Atari" was the big name back in the day, and yet the last few consoles they made before leaving the HW biz sold horribly.

A well know brandname can help, but you need more than that to stay on top.

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

Yes but Wii has killed gaming alltogether;)WuTangG

Perhaps for you. While I'm not swept up in Wii mania I do like it when I play it.

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 WuTangG

[QUOTE="WuTangG"]Yes but Wii has killed gaming alltogether;)Video_Game_King

Really? Seems to be helping it. If the Wii is killing gaming, then the NES was killing it in 85.

Offcourse the Wii is expanding the market by selling on par with the PS2 but with a software library and online service worse than 3D0:lol:
WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WuTangG

[QUOTE="WuTangG"]Yes but Wii has killed gaming alltogether;)thegame1980

Perhaps for you. While I'm not swept up in Wii mania I do like it when I play it.

Yeah i know, you guys play sales and gloat about mediocre A games:lol:
ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts
yes the playstation name could have killed xbox if 360 wasn't launched first. Imagine 360 and ps3 going head. Same release dates,etc. Playstation 3 would have murdered xbox 360.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

[QUOTE="WuTangG"]Yes but Wii has killed gaming alltogether;)WuTangG

Offcourse the Wii is expanding the market by selling on par with the PS2 but with a software library and online service worse than 3D0:lol:

If you actually bothered to look at all the PS2 games as a whole, you'd notice that there was an equally high percentage of crap titles...