PS 3s sales doing just fine

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tek91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tek91
Member since 2004 • 1476 Posts

check this site out

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/dec/18/sony-ps3-xbox

Is Sony's PS3 losing the console wars to the Xbox and Wii?

Not necessarily. PlayStation 3 (PS3) sales in the USA declined in November, according to figures released by the NPD Group: Sony sold 378,000 consoles last month compared with 466,000 in November last year. In contrast, sales of Microsoft's Xbox 360 went up to 836,000 from 770,000. Nintendo outsold both by a wide margin - just over 2m Wiis sold, up from 1.35m a year earlier. The figures must concern Sony, though there are variations in market share around the world. Nintendo seems to be winning everywhere, but the PS3 is way ahead of the 360 in Japan, and also easily outsells Microsoft in countries such as Spain, Portugal and Italy, according to Ed Barton, games analyst at UK-based Screen Digest.

Sony's big problem is price, especially in the present economic climate. In the USA, the PS3 costs $399, compared with $199 for the cheapest 360, the hard-drive-less Arcade. In the UK, the 360 Arcade is £129.99 and has gone for as little as £99.99 at retailers such as Zavvi, while a PS3 costs from £280. The PS3's unique selling point, the Blu-ray drive for high-definition (HD) films, looks less compelling now that cheaper standalone players have emerged, and customers are reluctant to shell out for suitably large HD screens that they need to enjoy the full benefit. Microsoft cut 360 prices aggressively in September, but Sony did not follow its lead, telling analysts that it is putting profitability ahead of market share.

The 360's lead in North America will be difficult to overcome, but Barton thinks 2009 will be much better for Sony worldwide: he argues that Microsoft's deep price cuts for the 360 will be hard to repeat, that Sony has strong PS3-exclusive games in preparation, and that the PS3's strength as an HD source will help it in the long term. He is predicting a 60% increase in the PS3's worldwide sales next year, to 16m, more than double his projected Xbox sales of just under 8m units. Few would be surprised if Sony dropped PS3 prices next year, and there is scope for a cheaper version of the console.

The PS3 will probably always be more expensive than the 360, but it is worth looking beyond the headline price. The 360 you really want is not the low-end Arcade edition, but the Premium, which has a hard drive. If you then add the cost of a wireless network adapter and a rechargeable battery for the controller - both of which are standard in the PS3 - the price difference reduces.

Bottom line: the console wars are not over yet. What is certain, though, is that Sony has lost the dominance of the market. It is also remarkable that Microsoft has been forced to undercut the Wii (around £180), yet still sells fewer units despite superior graphic capabilities. Microsoft has always argued that software matters more than hardware; ironically, it is Nintendo that demonstrates the truth of that point.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
PS3 needs a price cut, that's it It has games, a great online service, a great 09 lineup so a good old price cut will do the trick
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

PS3 needs a price cut, that's it It has games, a great online service, a great 09 lineup so a good old price cut will do the trickGiancar

I see a price cut after this fiscal year is over.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts
keep telling yourself that, i guess it helps soothe the pain, but soon, NPD will drop and pour salt on that wound :P
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

[QUOTE="Giancar"]PS3 needs a price cut, that's it It has games, a great online service, a great 09 lineup so a good old price cut will do the trickdream431ca

I see a price cut after this fiscal year is over.

KZ2 time would be great, I don't really care for the game that much, but nowadays seems FPS to be the most popular genre
johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts
ps3's sales doing just fine but that cannot convince 360 fans:P
Rigga911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rigga911
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
ps2 sales are doing just fine as well
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts
The PS3 sales are fine, nothing special, but it'll live. However, Sony should not be happy about this and the December NDP is going to be brutal. A price cut isn't going to solve all of the problems.
Theverydeepend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Theverydeepend
Member since 2008 • 520 Posts
I don't know about sony reducing the price on their playstation. I agree they need to if they want to sell but the fact that the 80 gb model costs 450 dollars to make and that they sell it for 400 dollars kind of shows that a price cut may not be plausible. I know people suggest a cheaper model, but other than the wireless what else can they cut out? Sony won't sell 16m consoles next year, but then again nothing is impossible just improbable
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 navyguy21
ps3's sales doing just fine but that cannot convince 360 fans:Pjohnlennon28
so sony's stock, sony's cutting revenue expectations, cutting expected sales, at least 6 sites and money magazines, and tons of analysts are all wrong, and you and TC and that one obscure website he found, are right?? :roll:
bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
Sales may not be bad but they arnt necessarily good either. With a price cut in 09 though hopefully things will pick up for the ps3 as I dont want to see any consoles fail.
Starkiller2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Starkiller2010
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts
[QUOTE="johnlennon28"]ps3's sales doing just fine but that cannot convince 360 fans:Pnavyguy21
so sony's stock, sony's cutting revenue expectations, cutting expected sales, at least 6 sites and money magazines, and tons of analysts are all wrong, and you and TC and that one obscure website he found, are right?? :roll:

Your right Sony AS A WHOLE is feeling heat, but if you want to play that game, Microsoft is too.... and almost every other company in the world right now. Dude, Both GAME DIVISONS are doing fine. Could things be better? YES!... Are things Bad on either side? NO!
AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AlphaGamer469
Member since 2008 • 1881 Posts

[QUOTE="johnlennon28"]ps3's sales doing just fine but that cannot convince 360 fans:Pnavyguy21

QFT., but cows have to try to convince themselves the PS3 is doing fine. Wow, we are ahead in teh Spain....

fuzzyking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 fuzzyking
Member since 2005 • 311 Posts

i agree their doing fine.

as long as i'm getting good games, i'm happy with mine

johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 johnlennon28

see, what did I tell yah, lol I dont care about sales ever, and I dont really care if you and some people are rejoicing about sonys sales being so bad compare to ps2 before, all I care is give us some good rpgs already
-KU-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -KU-
Member since 2008 • 102 Posts

I dont get it

Ps2 sells around 150 rite now with a game bundled in just as much as the Wii. (almost

They almost make pure profit of the Ps2 since it so old and easy to manufacture

Then we have PS3 who's weekly sales according to Vgchartz is 500-550k, the only problem is Vgchartz always lacks alot Euro Info.

SO together Ps2 and PS3 sell 1.1 million a week compared to average 850k 360 sales

Yes i'm a Sony semi fan-boy i trust anything sony)

But I just dont understand the concept that people looking for a bargain don't see in the long run

PS3-

-Cost 100 dollars more than 360 (not arcade)

+ Free interent/ 360($80-100)

- Not as many great exclusives- 360 has 44 average 8.5 plus exclusives Ps3 has 34 is les but not and Wii has 12 (lol)

+ blu-ray player cmon 200 dollar value and all you miss out on is Gears of War halo and Blaze oo big hit

I think Sony will learn something for the nex-next gen wars idiot consumer and children dont care about quality and bundle and product no, Sony did good with the ps2 give them a cheap plastic thin box market it for more money then the original fat box give alot a games and more freindly games.

We can say sony is losing the gen wars but not the sytem wars for a long Shot..

"Playstation beats Nintendo tm sytems and 360 bye a long one"

Excluding handhelds

Shattered007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Shattered007
Member since 2007 • 3139 Posts
End of 2006: 8 million lead, Xbox 360. End of 2007: 5 million lead , Xbox 360. End of 2008: 7 million lead, Xbox 360. I know, I know. VGCartz is lieing to make the 360 look better and the world= against the PS3 and the numbers are way off and the PS3 is only 2 consoles away from matching the 360s consoles sold but since the JP/AU/US regions are actually data from Media Create/NPDs and whatever AU uses than I'll go with them.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 navyguy21
[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="johnlennon28"]ps3's sales doing just fine but that cannot convince 360 fans:Pjohnlennon28

see, what did I tell yah, lol I dont care about sales ever, and I dont really care if you and some people are rejoicing about sonys sales being so bad compare to ps2 before, all I care is give us some good rpgs already

Dont get me wrong man, im not celebrating the state of the PS3 right now, it makes me upset to be honest because i own one, but i also understand business, and i know that if this keeps up, especially into next year when they wond have the holiday boost in sales, the we are going to see less first party games, less game support, less features added, less commercials which mean less game sales, and in the end it does hurt the PS3 owners, i mean if all that is left is multiplat, then why buy a PS3?? and thats a whole other story because competition is good in ANY industry, and we dont want MS to rule gaming, there would be microtransactions for everything lol, do you know that the old banjo kazooie costs 15 dollars on XBLM??? WTF microsoft?? we really dont need that, so im not hoping sony fails, but they dug this hole, now they have to find a way out. and its gonna take more than a price drop and 1 fiscal year.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts
Wouldn't "just fine" mean that the sales of PS3 are either meeting or exceeding company expectations?
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts
:lol: holy crap that's hilarious!
tek91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tek91

I dont think sonys doing bad if we take our competition goggles out of the way sony is doing good they are making millions and making excellent games I think what is getting to sony is it's price and the economy.

You can also not forget that PS 3 has better sales than xbox 360s second year

people are setting a bad example they are basically saying don't go and get the latest and better equiped system with the most advanced graphics for gaming we just want something cheap and inexpensive.

Just look at the wii they rather have a system with last generation graphics and some waggle controls then the latest most advanced systems.

don't get me wrong I love the wii but compared to the PS 3 it's just a toy I just hope next gen we don't see microsoft or sony with sony sports and microsoft fit because I don't think ill be able to handle it :(

johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 johnlennon28
[QUOTE="johnlennon28"][QUOTE="navyguy21"] so sony's stock, sony's cutting revenue expectations, cutting expected sales, at least 6 sites and money magazines, and tons of analysts are all wrong, and you and TC and that one obscure website he found, are right?? :roll:navyguy21

Dont get me wrong man, im not celebrating the state of the PS3 right now, it makes me upset to be honest because i own one, but i also understand business, and i know that if this keeps up, especially into next year when they wond have the holiday boost in sales, the we are going to see less first party games, less game support, less features added, less commercials which mean less game sales, and in the end it does hurt the PS3 owners, i mean if all that is left is multiplat, then why buy a PS3?? and thats a whole other story because competition is good in ANY industry, and we dont want MS to rule gaming, there would be microtransactions for everything lol, do you know that the old banjo kazooie costs 15 dollars on XBLM??? WTF microsoft?? we really dont need that, so im not hoping sony fails, but they dug this hole, now they have to find a way out. and its gonna take more than a price drop and 1 fiscal year.

is ps3 loses supports then Im just gonna have to buy other console, (which Ive been wanting to just because some of my friends have 360 and want me to play online with them), but Im still having a blast with my ps3 and I think sony can catch up, they should know what theyre doing..
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I dont think sonys doing bad if we take our competition goggles out of the way sony is doing good they are making millions and making excellent games I think what is getting to sony is it's price and the economy.

people are setting a bad example they are basically saying don't go and get the latest and better equiped system with the most advanced graphics for gaming we just want something cheap and inexpensive.

Just look at the wii they rather have a system with last generation graphics and some waggle controls then the latest most advanced systems.

don't get me wrong I love the wii but compared to the PS 3 it's just a toy I just hope next gen we don't see microsoft or sony with sony sports and microsoft fit because I don't think ill be able to handle it :(

tek91

Show me a PS3 game I enjoy more than Super Mario Galxy or Zack and Wiki. Good luck with that. I love the ps3 but really, generally saying those two games have been the most fun I've had this gen. Why should I care about the crap on the wii. I think I'll enjoy both consoles for what they have to offer. I love me some Devil May Cry and Biohazard and I also love me some Zelda so I'll take the best from both world's.

LoseEagles1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LoseEagles1245
Member since 2007 • 1115 Posts
Why do people always use Japan sales as an excuse. The latest report had the PS3 as selling 35,000 more consoles than the 360. But NA sales easily make up for that amount, with a couple of extra hundred thousands to spare. You also don't need a Wi-Fi adapter, use an ethernet cord, and the play and charge kit only costs $20. 360 is much cheaper. -KU- don't use the excuse of PS2 and PS3 as selling 1.1million a week compared to 850k because its two consoles to one. If they didn't sell more it would be pathetic. Also the 360's internet only costs $50 not $80 to $100. How can you say 360 doesn't have as good exclusives when your own post says the 360 has 10 more than the PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Yes, they are making millions, but they've unfortunately spent MORE of these millions manufacturing PS3's. They blew through the ENTIRE PS2 profit!! C'mon, dude, maybe it's YOU that's rockin' the goggles.

True. But they're still selling it at a loss. A smaller loss than before but it's still a loss.

So now you wanna insult the consumer because they chose a different console over yours? GTFOH. Do I think the Wii is on the level of 360 and PS3? No. Did some people buy the Wii because it was cheap? Obviously. But to say that people are setting a bad example, as if PS3 is the moral choice of consoles makes you sound stupid. No way to sugar-coat it.

The average consumer could give 2 ***** about Blu-Ray, Netflix, Bluetooth for any device that's NOT a cell phone, etc. It is what it is, deal w/ it.

If it does happen, it'll be on them. You'll either step in or step out. But this statement here, it's past foolish. You're better than this.

tek91

The bold is the only logical thing I could take out of that post.

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
The ps3 also isnt losing exclusives and causing studios to close down aswell :roll:
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
PS3 needs a price cut, that's it It has games, a great online service, a great 09 lineup so a good old price cut will do the trickGiancar
I expect one sometime this year, though.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
The ps3 also isnt losing exclusives and causing studios to close down aswell :roll:Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Yes, we all know how SONY made Haze, and that's how it somehow caused FREE RADICAL to close down... :roll:
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

The ps3 also isnt losing exclusives and causing studios to close down aswell :roll:Gh0st_Of_0nyx

I see lots of exclusives for the PS3, more than 360 at this point.

Cole-Protocal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cole-Protocal
Member since 2008 • 681 Posts

its sales are fine.....but its still dead last

Cole-Protocal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cole-Protocal

[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]The ps3 also isnt losing exclusives and causing studios to close down aswell :roll:dream431ca

I see lots of exclusives for the PS3, more than 360 at this point.

open your eyes then

naydaslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 naydaslayer
Member since 2008 • 371 Posts

Thank god we made a thread all about sales. We need more of these because teh sales = quality, and despite of Wii, 360 rules.

theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
A price cut isn't going too happen unless they move too 45nm chips, remember that they havan't made a dime off the PS3 hardware. so droping the price would make them lose more money. But one the good side it is doing ok people are just expecting PS1 or PS2 type numbers and well thats not gonna happen.
Cole-Protocal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cole-Protocal

Thank god we made a thread all about sales. We need more of these because teh sales = quality, and despite of Wii, 360 rules.

naydaslayer

teh sales = popularity and desirability.

kinda reinforces the 360 arument

tek91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tek91

Yes, they are making millions, but they've unfortunately spent MORE of these millions manufacturing PS3's. They blew through the ENTIRE PS2 profit!! C'mon, dude, maybe it's YOU that's rockin' the goggles.

Yes I know that I just hope that things turn around for them "The ends justify the means" now that they are going to make profit from each system sold, they took a risk and it was a risk for the best they wanted gamers to have blue ray and the best possible technology at their own risk and it cost them.

True. But they're still selling it at a loss. A smaller loss than before but it's still a loss.

That's a big acomplishment for a system with that price yet sony has enough money with their PS 2, PSP and electronics to continue and with another price cut and the 09 library odds are in their favor, remember M$ can't really do much now the reason they won the November sales was beacuse of that hefty price drop but common they can't repeat that unless they give out the system for free, the PS 3 on the other hand can have a price cut advertise and bring out the Killzones and God of War 3 and Twisted Metal and be back to before M$ price cut outselling the 360.

So now you wanna insult the consumer because they chose a different console over yours? GTFOH. Do I think the Wii is on the level of 360 and PS3? No. Did some people buy the Wii because it was cheap? Obviously. But to say that people are setting a bad example, as if PS3 is the moral choice of consoles makes you sound stupid. No way to sugar-coat it.

A Bigger console over mines lol how is that possible if I own a wii ?

dude it is a bad example for game programers because they will see the wii as what selling and copycat and soon youll see sony and microsoft shovelware along with waggle controls and not advancing technology to the future like sony is trying to do with the PS 3 the #1 thing on companys mind is making money if what they are doing don't make money they will do waht they can to make money.

That's more than what I found logical in your post

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Yes I know that I just hope that things turn around for them "The ends justify the means" now that they are going to make profit from each system sold, they took a risk and it was a risk for the best they wanted gamers to have blue ray and the best possible technology at their own risk and it cost them.

That's a big acomplishment for a system with that price yet sony has enough money with their PS 2, PSP and electronics to continue and with another price cut and the 09 library odds are in their favor, remember M$ can't really do much now the reason they won the November sales was beacuse of that hefty price drop but common they can't repeat that unless they give out the system for free, the PS 3 on the other hand can have a price cut advertise and bring out the Killzones and God of War 3 and Twisted Metal and be back to before M$ price cut outselling the 360.

A Bigger console over mines lol didn't I tell you to take the goggles out I own a PS 3 and a wii so how can they choose a console over my own console ?

dude it is a bad example for game programers because they will see the wii as what selling and copycat and soon youll see sony and microsoft shovelware along with waggle controls and not advancing technology to the future like sony is trying to do with the PS 3 the #1 thing on companys mind is making money if what they are doing don't make money they will do waht they can to make money.

That's more than what I found logical in your post

tek91

Obviously not if you basically agreed with the 1st thing I said, genius. I was merely poking holes in your lame-ass theory that PS3 sales are doing "Just fine", which I succeeded. This guy though he was doing "just fine" too.

tek91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tek91

Obviously not if you basically agreed with the 1st thing I said, genius. I was merely poking holes in your lame-ass theory that PS3 sales are doing "Just fine", which I succeeded. This guy though he was doing "just fine" too.

I agreed that sony may have lost all the money from the PS 2 and PS 1 even though no one has shown evidence of this, yet they still have billions from their electronics industry they are still making money from PS 3 , PS 2 and PSP games bundled with the electronic money and they are making millions more with their blue ray they have enough money to keep playstation rolling for many years to come not to mention that they are gonna make profit now from every system they sell.

If they were broke they would not be able to continue making systems or getting games for PS3 but as you can see that's not the case as their 09 lineup is amazing.

the ones who actually look broke is 360 because they have no games coming this year.

if you want to talk about losing money and bad decision why not talk about M$ losing more than 2 million dollars in lawsuits over making faulty products rrod and scratches.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

I agreed that sony may have lost all the money from the PS 2 and PS 1 even though no one has shown evidence of this, yet they still have billions from their electronics industry they are still making money from PS 3 , PS 2 and PSP games bundled with the electronic money and they are making millions more with their blue ray they have enough money to keep playstation rolling for many years to come not to mention that they are gonna make profit now from every system they sell.

If they were broke they would not be able to continue making systems or getting games for PS3 but as you can see that's not the case as their 09 lineup is amazing.

the ones who actually look broke is 360 because they have no games coming this year.

if you want to talk about losing money and bad decision why not talk about M$ losing more than 2 million dollars in lawsuits over making faulty products rrod and scratches.

tek91

Not only that, but the $1B they had to cough up for the warranty. I have NO problem pointing out ANY company's mistake, but you seem to have a hard time coming to terms that so far this gen, the PS3 has not lived up to its expectations. I NEVER in any of my posts said they were broke, they're just currently in the red. Of course they can and most likely will get in the black. I'm pretty sure we BOTH want that to happen, too. Only difference is I can see the mistakes that were made, and you either choose not to or you just aren't looking hard enough. Have a goodnight.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Let me guess, if you actually read the small print in this one it boils down to another, "ZOMG @ this point in the PS3s lifespan compared to the 360 the PS3 has sold infinity bajillion more units!!!".

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#40 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
Still kinda pathetic compared to the 360 and Wii :?
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

tek91

They will never make a dime with the PS3. Two years of PS3 erased on the profit made by almost a decade of the PS2. No way there are making millions. Profit anyways.

If you want to talk about an advanced system then get a PC.

shoemen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shoemen22
Member since 2007 • 466 Posts
The PS3 is selling is this known everybody has seen the average sales for each month after lunch of the PS3 and 360 and knows what it means but if the PS3 just lowered it price you will find it will get so much more popular and even more this year with alot of its high end games and that its stopping its PS2 support so alot of those people will be wanting to upgrade and most of them would lean more to the PS3 side unless the price is still out of control
shoemen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shoemen22
Member since 2007 • 466 Posts
[QUOTE="tek91"]

Blackbond

They will never make a dime with the PS3. Two years of PS3 erased on the profit made by almost a decade of the PS2. No way there are making millions. Profit anyways.

So you didnt read the newspaper that saying that they are already starting to make a profit on top of the ps3 and that they have cut production costs by 36% so sony is aiming to have the price cut in April some time which will be around the 40% off because they are making a profit on it already and can afford to do it
Shattered007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shattered007
Member since 2007 • 3139 Posts
[QUOTE="shoemen22"][QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="tek91"]

So you didnt read the newspaper that saying that they are already starting to make a profit on top of the ps3 and that they have cut production costs by 36% so sony is aiming to have the price cut in April some time which will be around the 40% off because they are making a profit on it already and can afford to do it

But a price cut would put them right back into the red since they would be losing even more money than keeping the price the same.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="tek91"]

shoemen22

So let me get this straight. Them starting to turn a profit is some how going to just magically eliminate all those earlier losses?

Oh wow lol

Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123060418044641601.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

How can sony be making profit when they have yet to break even on the ps3?

MrSlippery39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MrSlippery39
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="tek91"]

shoemen22

I read that they are finally starting to hover around the breaking even range. If they make a price cut, they would be losing money again.

I'm no expert here obviously, but I think Sony might keep the PS3 at the same price until about summer time. Since the first half of the year is usually slow for sales anyways, they might as well try to make as much profit as possible before making that price cut.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Quite simply the PS3 is awesome, has the best games and shouldn't be overlooked by anyone. Now is the right time to get a PS3.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Blackbond
[QUOTE="shoemen22"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

MrSlippery39

Um that's breaking even on PS3 production not breaking even on the massive amounts of money they lost already which completely negated all profit made by the PS2.

Sony will never see a dime on the PS3 unless its some how more successful then the PS2 and that's not going to happen.

I read that they are finally starting to hover around the breaking even range. If they make a price cut, they would be losing money again.

I'm no expert here obviously, but I think Sony might keep the PS3 at the same price until about summer time. Since the first half of the year is usually slow for sales anyways, they might as well try to make as much profit as possible before making that price cut.

Thats breaking even on the production of the PS3. Sony's PS3 has effectivly negated all profits made by the PS2 in its entire life span. Unless the PS3 is more successful then the PS2 then Sony isn't going to see a dime.

Essentially they have already lost more in 2 years with the PS3 then they made on the PS2. So how are they supposed to ever profit? The PS2 isn't going to be successful like PS2. NO where close.