Project Offset officially PC exclusive again.

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

since Intel bought the developer, a lot of people thought that the game was PC exclusive again...and yet their were still those that didnt believe it.

Well its officially PC exclusive again.

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/videos/home.aspx?fn=1459&Category=Graphics

they dont directly say "its a PC exclusive" but they pretty much say directly that the game is not gonna be on consoles.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17864 Posts

that does seem to be the case from that vid. he doesent say it directly but he is basically saying that hes not limited by consoles, which would indicate a PC exclusive. its not 100% confirmation but its definately evidence of it being a CP exclusive.

on another note...im chuffed that intel are getting game devs on board and i think more PC manufacturers should do it, especially the likes of AMD and nvidia. or even better, have the PCGA start getting devs to go PC exclusive so that the platform can finally have a dedicated first party...something that consoles have enjoyed for a very long time.

the only possible downside i can see from it is if they try to make the games hardware exclusive. eg project offset will only work if u have an intel CPU. that would be a disaster. i dont think thats going to happen though.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Intel has ulterior motives.

They plan to enter the discrete graphics card market of sub-$300 video cards. What better example than to bundle it with or show of a graphically demanding game? It certainly wont be Intel exclusive hardware.

They didnt buy the offset developers out of altruism.

Still, it seems pretty obvious that they were going to be PC exclusive since they were bought by intel a few moths ago. Intel has nothing to gain from puttin it out on consoles.

Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts
well if this makes the game look better than that's good
Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Heydanbud92

Intel has ulterior motives.

They plan to enter the discrete graphics card market of sub-$300 video cards. What better example than to bundle it with or show of a graphically demanding game? It certainly wont be Intel exclusive hardware.

They didnt buy the offset developers out of altruism.

Still, it seems pretty obvious that they were going to be PC exclusive since they were bought by intel a few moths ago. Intel has nothing to gain from puttin it out on consoles.

XaosII

Yeah, the consoles (PS3 and 360) hardware is made up of nothing but products that their competitiors developed, intel isn't going to support that.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
cool, now i hope nvidia buys up crytek :D
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

cool, now i hope nvidia buys up crytek :Dnaval

Nah they should buy up someone better imo, something on the console side :P, Crysis and Far Cry are not worth it.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
That game looks good, I don't have a 360 or a good enough pc for this though so doesn't really affect me.
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

that does seem to be the case from that vid. he doesent say it directly but he is basically saying that hes not limited by consoles, which would indicate a PC exclusive. its not 100% confirmation but its definately evidence of it being a CP exclusive.

on another note...im chuffed that intel are getting game devs on board and i think more PC manufacturers should do it, especially the likes of AMD and nvidia. or even better, have the PCGA start getting devs to go PC exclusive so that the platform can finally have a dedicated first party...something that consoles have enjoyed for a very long time.

the only possible downside i can see from it is if they try to make the games hardware exclusive. eg project offset will only work if u have an intel CPU. that would be a disaster. i dont think thats going to happen though.

osan0
How exactly would a game be made that runs only on intel processors?
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts
lets hope the pirates dont spoil it
Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Heydanbud92
[QUOTE="osan0"]

lettuceman44

yeah it's the same architecture i think, they would have to go out of their way to make it not work on AMD chips right?

they will probably just design the game so it takes advantage of features only found on intel chips though.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

[QUOTE="naval"]cool, now i hope nvidia buys up crytek :DMeu2k7

Nah they should buy up someone better imo, something on the console side :P, Crysis and Far Cry are not worth it.

hmm.. that is also a good idea as crytek is anyways is already making games on the pc

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

How bout Monolith then?
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

[QUOTE="naval"]cool, now i hope nvidia buys up crytek :Dmo0ksi

How bout Monolith then?

I dont think they are independendt.

I would hope for someone like Valve...but thats obviously not gonna happen...so I would like someone like GSC game world instead.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Crytek would absolutely be worth it IMO, Crysis and Far Cry are fantastic games. I agree though, it would be much better to snap up (a.k.a. steal) a console developer LOL.

This is good news OP!! I'm all for taking advantage of the hardware that's available on the PC and not be limited by what consoles are capable of. Now let's just hope Project Offset isn't optimized well for Intel only --- Larrabee for example. Larrabee isn't scheduled for public release until late 2009 or 2010.

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
Damn where's saolin when you need him? He was absolutely adament that it was remaining a multiplat, to the point of obsession
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
[QUOTE="mo0ksi"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

[QUOTE="naval"]cool, now i hope nvidia buys up crytek :Dcobrax25

How bout Monolith then?

I would hope for someone like Valve...but thats obviously not gonna happen...so I would like someone like GSC game world instead.

Indeed. If they do Clear Sky the way they want to then they'll be developers to watch out for in the future.
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#19 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts
We lose Crytek but we gain the Offset team... Interesting, to say the least.
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

EA is never going to sell Crytek! Muahahahhahahaha.

Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

PS3_3DO

EA don't own Crytek.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 osan0
[QUOTE="lettuceman44"][QUOTE="osan0"]

Heydanbud92

yeah it's the same architecture i think, they would have to go out of their way to make it not work on AMD chips right?

they will probably just design the game so it takes advantage of features only found on intel chips though.

well a game can tell what CPU its running on. so there could be a check in the game to see if its intel or not. if its not then the game would refuse to run. of course that kind of system would be cracked in 30 seconds or less but intel could still make that kind of effort and it would be very annoying and underhanded of them.

still, like i said, its highly doubtful that they will actually go to those kind of lengths.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="Heydanbud92"][QUOTE="lettuceman44"][QUOTE="osan0"]

osan0

well a game can tell what CPU its running on. so there could be a check in the game to see if its intel or not. if its not then the game would refuse to run. of course that kind of system would be cracked in 30 seconds or less but intel could still make that kind of effort and it would be very annoying and underhanded of them.

still, like i said, its highly doubtful that they will actually go to those kind of lengths.

Intel wouldnt do this, it would hinder the games sales by quite a large margin.

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
That game looks good, I don't have a 360 or a good enough pc for this though so doesn't really affect me.Eddie-Vedder
it affects you because you cannot play it.
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#25 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts

PS3_3DO

Crytek is independent. :|

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts
[QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

dgsag

I bet you that EA is going to buy Crytek soon.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts
[QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

PS3_3DO

no... Crytek is a private company that wouldn't be able to be bought out. Just like Valve. Cevat Yerli is also a fiercely independent CEO that does what he thinks is right and doesn't let anyone push him around.

Just look at what he did after Far Cry in dealing with Ubisoft. They had sold the IP to Ubisoft but Ubisoft wanted to keep a partnership with Crytek for future games. Yet, they also wanted to put the Far Cry IP on consoles. So, they made Far Cry Instincts. Yerli was very unhappy with that game so he just outright took his company straight to Ubisoft's main competitor(EA) and said "Here is our next game, if you want to publish it, here you go, just give us the funding."

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
[QUOTE="mo0ksi"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

[QUOTE="naval"]cool, now i hope nvidia buys up crytek :Dcobrax25

How bout Monolith then?

GSC is a big publisher that just owns a big dev studio. Too much troubles to buy out
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AdrianWerner

PS3_3DO

I don't think Crytek is interested in being bought. Already many companies made the offer (including Ubisoft) and Crytek turned them all down. Plus this is EA, every PC dev will think ten times before they allow themselves to get bought by EA, everybody remembers what happens to companies that get bought by EA
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

PS3_3DO
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
im glad its pc only the consoles would limit the game..
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts
Good news for PC owners again. Wouldn't be nice to see another PC game crippled by console limitations.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
lets hope the pirates dont spoil itdoobie1975
Like the most heavily pirated game this year GTA IV?
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

Number 1. Take a look at the name of the site this is posted on.

Number 2. Even a noob can see that its edited footage.

Not saying consoles are better than PC, or Project Offset is console exclusive... but as far as this thread and the video you provided,

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

osan0

I would say this will definitely end up in an anti-trust lawsuit where Intel will have to pay bucket loads of money.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AdrianWerner

Not saying consoles are better than PC, or Project Offset is console exclusive... but as far as this thread and the video you provided,

evilross

Ermm..this footage suggests that most likely Offset will be PC-only and the name of the site gives it a lot more credibility, after all it is an official site from Intel

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AdrianWerner

I would say this will definitely end up in an anti-trust lawsuit where Intel will have to pay bucket loads of money.hamidious

How so? It's their hardware and their developer. There's nothing illegal here about that. Do you see anti-trusts lawsuits against Apple?

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts
[QUOTE="evilross"]

AdrianWerner

Ermm..this footage suggests that most likely Offset will be PC-only and the name of the site gives it a lot more credibility, after all it is an official site from Intel

My point is that this was posted from an Intel related site, using heavily edited footage, and never mentioned anything specifically about any game, or any system that was or was not being developed for.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AdrianWerner

My point is that this was posted from an Intel related site, using heavily edited footage, and never mentioned anything specifically about any game, or any system that was or was not being developed for.

evilross
Erm..he said about Offset team and they're only working on Project Offset and they're owned by intel
darkplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 darkplayer
Member since 2003 • 13318 Posts
Another PC exclusive added to the list, the PC once again will have the best line up.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="PS3_3DO"][QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

AdrianWerner

I don't think Crytek is interested in being bought. Already many companies made the offer (including Ubisoft) and Crytek turned them all down. Plus this is EA, every PC dev will think ten times before they allow themselves to get bought by EA, everybody remembers what happens to companies that get bought by EA

they make the sims and make ridiculous amounts of money, then get as much time and money as they need to make the game they want to!
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

That game looks good, I don't have a 360 or a good enough pc for this though so doesn't really affect me.Eddie-Vedder

The videos from 2005 and 2006 were running on high on a 6800, and they still look better than, like, 99% of the new games.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

osan0

Well, there are differing instructions between the two makers that actually have functional differences. If a game, for example, requires the use of instructions found only in Intel CPUs, then AMD CPUs would be out of luck, and since it hinges on an actual functional instruction, bypassing this unique feature would be more difficult as there may not be an equivalent on the AMD side.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="PS3_3DO"][QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

horrowhip

no... Crytek is a private company that wouldn't be able to be bought out. Just like Valve. Cevat Yerli is also a fiercely independent CEO that does what he thinks is right and doesn't let anyone push him around.

Just look at what he did after Far Cry in dealing with Ubisoft. They had sold the IP to Ubisoft but Ubisoft wanted to keep a partnership with Crytek for future games. Yet, they also wanted to put the Far Cry IP on consoles. So, they made Far Cry Instincts. Yerli was very unhappy with that game so he just outright took his company straight to Ubisoft's main competitor(EA) and said "Here is our next game, if you want to publish it, here you go, just give us the funding."

But what if all the big publishers require an outright purchase before agreeing to fund Crytek's next big game?
pieatorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pieatorium
Member since 2008 • 1012 Posts
[QUOTE="horrowhip"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"][QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

HuusAsking

But what if all the big publishers require an outright purchase before agreeing to fund Crytek's next big game?

get a smaller publisher? self publish? wouldn't be that hard for them to get funding with the reputation and success they have had so far.

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

[QUOTE="hamidious"] I would say this will definitely end up in an anti-trust lawsuit where Intel will have to pay bucket loads of money.AdrianWerner

How so? It's their hardware and their developer. There's nothing illegal here about that. Do you see anti-trusts lawsuits against Apple?

Anti-trust laws are meant to prevent monopoly. AMD will take Intel to the court arguing that they want to monopolize the CPU market by making software that only works on their CPU's and preventing choice to consumers. This will especially be the case if the only thing preventing the game from running on AMD hardware is a piece of code. Apple doesn't have enough market share to monopolize anything, they also make their software (quicktime, itunes, opra browser) compatible with windows/PC in order to reach more consumers. However, Intel can still make the game run optimally only on their chips.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AdrianWerner
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="hamidious"] I would say this will definitely end up in an anti-trust lawsuit where Intel will have to pay bucket loads of money.hamidious

Anti-trust laws are meant to prevent monopoly. AMD will take Intel to the court arguing that they want to monopolize the CPU market by making software that only works on their CPU's and preventing choice to consumers. This will especially be the case if the only thing preventing the game from running on AMD hardware is a piece of code. Apple doesn't have enough market share to monopolize anything, they also make their software (quicktime, itunes, opra browser) compatible with windows/PC in order to reach more consumers. However, Intel can still make the game run optimally only on their chips.

No, that's not how it works. As long as it's your software and your hardware it doesn't matter. Heck.. look at videogame situation. Sony was making games that could run only on PS2, did you see anyone using anti-trust laws aganst them? Or when MS wasn't making new Office editions for OSX? And they had bigger monopoly over their markets than Intel does

What is illegal and covered by anti trust laws is preventing other companies from making their games for your hardware, That's what got MS into trouble, not putting their own software in, even exclusively, but making it difficult for other companies to use theirs with WIndows

there's nothing anyone could do to Intel if they would make Offset exclusively to their own hardware. If they could get to court for that it would also mean the end of all console manufactuers, as that's exactly what they are doing.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts

I disagree. I think nVidia should buy them as well and basically force them PC exclusive.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts

PS3_3DO

That would be unfortunate...

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 osan0
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="hamidious"] I would say this will definitely end up in an anti-trust lawsuit where Intel will have to pay bucket loads of money.hamidious

but intel coudl argue that there treating there CPU as sony/ninty/MS treat their console..and are thus just making a game exclusive to the hardware. a game they have bought and paid for. unless we want to start to argue the merits ofthe console market and how games are locked to platforms (which would be an interesting debate)...intel would be legally untouchable. its not like intel are preventing them from getting at an esential piece of software that AMD couldnt function without, nor are they preventing, or trying to prevent, amd from making an amd/ati exclusive game.