Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7204 Posts

Looks like Xbox Series and PS5 users will be missing out on this little gem. The Portal Companion Collection will be releasing exclusively for the Nintendo Switch. Not sure why Valve decided to release like this, but this baby is just perfect for the Switch. The game is being developed by Nvidia Lightspeed Studios and will be priced at $19.99. When was the last time you played a Portal game? You ready to bust out your gyro?

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8223 Posts
@mesome713 said:

Looks like Xbox Series and PS5 users will be missing out on this little gem. The Portal Companion Collection will be releasing exclusively for the Nintendo Switch. Not sure why Valve decided to release like this, but this baby is just perfect for the Switch. The game is being developed by Nvidia Lightspeed Studios and will be priced at $19.99. When was the last time you played a Portal game? You ready to bust out your gyro?

for $20 id say this is an easy day 1 pick up

steam deck looking more pointless every day

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#3 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2565 Posts

It will be the same as with Disgaea 6, that was exclusive for switch in the west and 2 days ago was announced Disgaea 6 complete for PS5, PS4 and PC

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22685 Posts

@sargentd: "steam deck looking more pointless every day...." 😂

You do realize the steam deck can play more than portal right?

Also, I'll definitely get this on switch. My sons and I will have a great time cooping P2

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

The last time I played a Portal game was on the Xbox 360 with the Orange Box Collection. Found it pretty fun and played through it all. I don’t think I ever played Portal 2. Seems like a fair price for this release. There’s way too much other stuff I want to get though so don’t see myself picking this up anytime soon.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2414 Posts

The atmosphere and ambient score of a Valve game are what I don't want to experience on a handheld.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

@warm_gun said:

The atmosphere and ambient score of a Valve game are what I don't want to experience on a handheld.

Good thing you can dock your Switch...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

I have both on my Series X via BC. No need for me to get it for my Switch but a solid title for the Switch's catalog.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2414 Posts

@Miyomatic said:
@warm_gun said:

Like I'm gonna play it docked when it's available with better controls and better graphics.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mesome713

@girlusocrazy: O man, Half-Life on Switch, i would kill for.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34615 Posts

I'm pretty sure I'm the only dude in the world who isn't a huge Portal fan. I still find it lame they decided to make a short puzzle game instead of Half-Life 3, Team Fortress 3, Left 4 Dead 3, and whatever. I don't see Portal 1&2 as full fledged games. Portal 1 feels like Valve decided to have some fun with a mechanic, and hastily put it together into a short game. Then did it again with 2 and fleshed it out a bit because it became popular. They kinda feel like tech demos to me.

They're pretty fun, don't get me wrong. But I feel they receive an unwarranted amount of praise. Some people call them masterpieces, lol.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 940 Posts
@sargentd said:
@mesome713 said:

for $20 id say this is an easy day 1 pick up

steam deck looking more pointless every day

You realize you can get both games for like $3 on a steam sale, right? And they'll also run better

If anything is the switch that's looking more pointless each day

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Litchie: oh yeah - it's just you 😉

I'm sure it's because i love puzzles and platforming - but count me in the "they're masterpieces" camp.

I think this is a great addition to switch

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Also, I'll definitely get this on switch. My sons and I will have a great time cooping P2

Not to mention I don't have to re-buy Portal 1 & 2, or any other games I already own for that matter. Instant access to my 200+ library of games.

Nevertheless, a fine addition to Switch it is.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

Has Valve said which version of Portal this package will include: the original one from the Orange Box, or the later "Portal: Still Alive" standalone that included extra challenges (but no new story content)?

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

I've had the first two games on PC since they were originally released, have played each one to the end multiple times, and yet I'll still probably end up buying them for the Switch. Yes, blame me for companies wanting to make endless ports instead of new games.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts

OMG, we Sheeps get to enjoy these old games more than a decade later, how could Nintendo be anymore innovative! Absolutely perfect for the Switch tee-hee!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@Miyomatic said:
@warm_gun said:

Docked Switch on a 4k tv is the ugliest thing you can see in your life. Stretching 600-1080p on a 4k tv is a meme.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

So 480p?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46304 Posts

Did we get a release date?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@TheEroica said:

looks like we have the 1st ever steam DECK fanboy here lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58978 Posts

@Litchie said:

They're pretty fun, don't get me wrong. But I feel they receive an unwarranted amount of praise. Some people call them masterpieces, lol.

Portal 2 SP while better than the majority of games is still pretty weak by Valve standards imo.

COOP is good though. Wish that was the game in it's entirety.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Not sure this counts as a console exclusive or why the other consoles would even need this, as both games are readily available and have been for over a decade.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mesome713

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: The collection isnt releasing on any other console. There is no PS5 or Xbox Series version.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

Portal 2 SP while better than the majority of games is still pretty weak by Valve standards imo.

Yes, in the fact that the pacing and variety of gameplay/weapons is far better in other Valve SP games.

Portal 2 is just a puzzler, and a really stretched out one. It's the actors and performances that carry it through.

Portal 1 is an appetizer, Portal 2 is a 7 course meal in a fancy restaurant.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Love Portal and Portal 2 ... but i don't think i'll be getting them again on Switch, i don't see a good enough reason to go back to them right now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By uninspiredcup
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Yes, in the fact that the pacing and variety of gameplay/weapons is far better in other Valve SP games.

Portal 2 is just a puzzler, and a really stretched out one. It's the actors and performances that carry it through.

Portal 1 is an appetizer, Portal 2 is a 7 course meal in a fancy restaurant.

Been a while, but from the SP in Portal 2 remember walking along many linear corridors doing nothing to pad the "haha" dialogue. They also use an FMV at the ending, which for Valve is a sin.

Granted, Halflife 2's episode used an FMV, but that merely served as a catchup before the actual intro opened. Just jumping to one out of the engine felt like I had jumped back t the Playstation 1.

The COOP was great, though little replay value unless use mods. Would have happily purchased expansion packs for it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

Been a while, but from the SP in Portal 2 remember walking along many linear corridors doing nothing to pad the "haha" dialogue. They also use an FMV at the ending, which for Valve is a sin.

Granted, Halflife 2's episode used an FMV, but that merely served as a catchup before the actual intro opened. Just jumping to one out of the engine felt like I had jumped back t the Playstation 1.

The COOP was great, though little replay value unless use mods. Would have happily purchased expansion packs for it.

They can add FMVs from beginning to end as far as I'm concerned, if that would us getting another singleplayer Valve game.

While you are waiting, maybe you should give Portal another go? Maybe it's better the second time around?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: The collection isnt releasing on any other console. There is no PS5 or Xbox Series version.

Correct, because both games are already available dirt cheap and have been available for years.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

I'm not a big puzzle guy I'd rather see Half-life 1-2 and all the episodes and the half-life remake on Switch.

Do you think that will happen next mesome half-life 2 chillin on the switch would be so fun

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:

They can add FMVs from beginning to end as far as I'm concerned, if that would us getting another singleplayer Valve game.

While you are waiting, maybe you should give Portal another go? Maybe it's better the second time around?

It kinda has the problem, really, all Valve games have where they play-test into oblivion as to not frustrate people with bullshit design.

But what end up with is this really, easy no challenge game. Something like Portal I get it, kids and soccer moms doing puzzles, it's stricter in nature.

But something like Halflife 2 or Alyx, the lack of difficulty really drag them down.

For whatever reason (think they got new designers on board) recall Episode 2 being harder. Part of that obv due to Hunters. Combine as an enemy are very bland. Stand and staff very slowly.

Alyx makes it abit more interesting with specific aim points and new enemies but still suffers from this as Alyx is by-design made as a VR entry point.

Just wish Valve would add hard modes that are actually "hard".

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k  Online

@uninspiredcup: With all these available mods, there might be one that adds a very hard mode?

Maybe the problem is that we have replayed these games too many times? And that we know them by heart.

I guess Valve is just trying to tell a complete story. Beginning to end. So they don't want to make any of the puzzle sections tol frustrating, or any of the fighting sections too difficult to beat. Episode 1 already rampes up the difficulty somewhat. And Episode I also remember being harder, but is also the one I've finished the least.