Polygon's Zelda Breath of the Wild preview

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

Might as well not give them any clicks.

There’s a literal list of things in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild I’m not allowed to talk about yet, but right now, a week before launch and about 20 hours into the game, there are really only two things I feel I need to talk about. First, Breath of the Wild respects your intelligence as a player more than any Legend of Zelda game before it (with the possible exception of 2013’s 3DS release A Link Between Worlds).

And second? Breath of the Wild demands your respect. And if you forget that for longer than a few minutes it’ll remind you by knocking you flat on your ass.

A quick bit of housekeeping: these impressions are based on a lot of time with a final, retail version of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Nintendo Switch. This isn’t a review exactly — these thoughts aren’t final, as I’m not finished with the game. Nowhere close, in fact. But I have played enough to have some very strong opinions that are solidly formed, big surprises or changes of pace notwithstanding.

Lets get Breath of the Wild’s demand that you take it seriously out of the way first, in case you haven’t been following the interviews and narrative surrounding it in the last year or so. Breath of the Wild is, without question or debate, the hardest Zelda game of the last twenty years. In fact, as an “old” who literally grew up playing the original Zelda games on NES and SNES when they came out, I’d argue it’s the hardest Zelda game period. The first twenty minutes or so are pretty low key — you can kill the scrub bokoblins and other minor enemies you meet without much trouble using nothing more than a tree branch picked up off the ground. But once you leave the initial learning spaces and venture into more typical zones, you’re probably going to die.

BREATH OF THE WILD WILL KNOCK YOU FLAT ON YOUR ASS

And, like, you’re probably going to die a lot, honestly. Often without much warning. Or at least I did, and still do, if I’m not careful.

This is in large part because Breath of the Wild gates off areas of the world behind specific kinds of equipment less than any third-person Zelda game. The geographic options in front of me felt almost overwhelming right from the start, and that was just in the opening plateau that serves as the game’s tutorial space. Once you obtain a specific item that allows you to leave that plateau, Hyrule is your oyster. It just happens to be an oyster full of really angry monsters and ancient death machines that will murder you if they see you.

Often, the only indication Breath of the Wild might give that you are under-equipped for the space you’re in is an enemy taking you from, say, six hearts to a quarter of one in a single axe swipe or spear lunge (assuming, you know, they don’t just kill you outright). Or, like I said, they’ll just kill you with no real fanfare or warning, and the game will reload you fairly close to where you were, hopefully having learned an important lesson about Hyrule’s ecosystem and its desire for you not to exist in it.

Comparisons to games like Dark Souls are probably inevitable, but they’re not exactly fair. You don’t lose anything when you die, other than the time lost getting back to where you were. You do have to contend with equipment with a finite lifespan however, and resources will often be scarce unless you gather ingredients to make potions and meals. This is something I’ve typically avoided in open world action RPGs in the last several years — I find this kind of thing incredibly boring. But for whatever reason, cooking and mixing in Breath of the Wild feels a little more loose and a little more immediately rewarding, and, well, it’s an absolute necessity.

There’s a practical reason for this. While spaces in Breath of the Wild aren’t item gated exactly, aside from the aforementioned enemies that will smash you, they can be beyond your physical capabilities. While Link is physically capable — he can climb most walls and use a sort of hang glider, and he can swim right away, no items required — more strenuous activity depletes Link’s limited stamina bar. However, if you cook the right things together, you can create meals and elixirs that, say, refill your stamina completely, or even give you temporary extra stamina that might allow you to reach a spot you otherwise couldn’t.

Also if you don’t make meals that give you more than a heart or two back — or, eventually, that give you bonus temporary hearts — you’re not going to survive against more powerful common enemies you’ll find out in the world.

At first this all feels like a lot to keep track of and consider while playing a Zelda game, but it quickly became second nature for me. And it all ties into the first idea I talked about above, that Breath of the Wild feels like the first third-person, big budget Zelda game to eschew a meandering, elaborate, incredibly extended tutorial section. Breath of the Wild teaches you to play it, don’t get me wrong. The plateau you start on gives you the powers and abilities you’ll use for much of the game’s puzzle solving via shrines, and each shrine is a series of instructional scenarios for a particular ability. But you can also screw around and kill Bokoblins and climb and explore the area to your heart’s content if that’s what you want to do, and you could spend hours doing it before you left for the rest of Hyrule.

Put another way: as I was playing the first few hours of Breath of the Wild, I was capturing gameplay for Polygon’s coverage. At a certain point I considered restarting the game to get better footage. I considered restarting a Zelda game’s first hours without hating life. Breath of the Wild, in respecting your intelligence, also respects your time.

That respect radiates outward. The puzzle logic in Breath of the Wild feels legitimately logical, and smartly physics-based. There are optional shrines scattered throughout Hyrule that act as mini puzzle dungeons, and almost without exception, they’ve all been a lot of fun to figure out. After more than two dozen of them, Breath of the Wild also doesn’t seem out of ideas.

And so far, this is the thing I’m most struck by. Breath of the Wild has so far managed to integrate a steady stream of new ideas and twists on existing Zelda concepts, including weapon durability and variety. Example: boomerangs are now dual use tools that can be wielded as melee weapons or thrown in traditional Zelda fashion, but if you do the latter, you’ll need to be quick and catch it on the way back. Every weapon I’ve found so far is a finite tool as well, so I’ve learned not to get too attached.

But even with these and other, bigger changes, Breath of the Wild has never stopped feeling like a Zelda game — and what’s more, it seems poised to establish itself as the first current, vital feeling Zelda title in longer than I can remember.

You can read my final thoughts on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on March 2 at 3AM PT.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

polygon can't play doom.

polygon said nioh was "the hardest game they ever reviewed."

i believe breath of the wild will be significantly more difficult than past zelda games and will buck the trend of hand-holding that has plagued the series as of late, but polygon's word on this is as useful as a hobo giving me investment advice.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Ha the part where Zelda will kick your ass; it's like they want to feed off the polygon sucks at games memes.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I can believe the game will be harder than most games before it, but I have a hard time believing the game will be more difficult than Zelda II.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

My hype just went up even more, which I thought was impossible.
This game looks and sounds insane.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@jg4xchamp: Never forget.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

Breath of the Wild is definitely getting my attention more and more each day. I'm just on the fence purchasing the Nintendo Switch just to play it. I'll wait for reviews for the console and the game itself and try to hold off until E3. Honestly haven't played any past Zelda games except Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. With the amount of hype Breath of the Wild is getting, cannot wait to see the hilarity ensue from the haters...lol. I haven't been a huge Nintendo fan since the Super Nintendo days, but I can appreciate a good game when I see one...

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Polygon, where "gamers are dead!" Well, none of them work for your site that's true. I'd wait for a real source.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

What's the problem with the review exactly?

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

@FastRobby said:

What's the problem with the review exactly?

It's not a review, it is a pre-view, and there's nothing wrong with it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

They had to make a dark souls reference didn't they?

"why, my weapon broke and I'm surrounded by tough enemies... "

Feels like dark souls Zelda!

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

I assume they were playing on console and on the easiest difficulty? I completed it on Nightmare on PC and you would be dead within 2-3 hits at most on that difficulty. But I can't see how the person playing could be playing video games for a living.

@Desmonic said:

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

Can we hop off of the fact that it said Zelda was a tough game and focus on the glowing preview that they gave this game? No? Ok the carry on.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Can we hop off of the fact that it said Zelda was a tough game and focus on the glowing preview that they gave this game? No? Ok the carry on.

SW can't cope with glow, only gloom.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

10/10 incoming

Kusimeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kusimeka
Member since 2007 • 419 Posts

All I've wanted for years, with Zelda being my favourite franchise of all time, is the more recent games to respect our intelligence. I seriously cannot wait for this, let's hope some of the puzzles really bend our brains!

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Still not sure what he meant by ''respecting your intelligence and time''. If it's about the puzzles, that's a weird way to put it.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Polygon shouldn't be hyping up difficulty....these guys are too busy being politically correct to be any good at video games.

BUT...BOTW has always looked like a return to the "you're on your own" feeling of the original zelda so it makes sense to hear that part is true.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Nice to hear that LOGIC finally comes into play in a zelda title. I'll never forget the fish fiasco to get into jabu jabu's belly. I actually went FISHING for like a whole 30 minutes thinking the fish would get me in. *sigh* I fudging hate ocarina of time.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

@m_machine024 said:

Still not sure what he meant by ''respecting your intelligence and time''. If it's about the puzzles, that's a weird way to put it.

I think he means there wont be a lot of hand holding in the game? I dunno. The time thing...I'm guessing the game doesn't have a lot of repetitive filler or mindless tasks. It's hard to tell because opinions; some people enjoy the repetitive collect-a-thon tasks and stuff like that.

As far as the OP, this is the most interesting bit:

"That respect radiates outward. The puzzle logic in Breath of the Wild feels legitimately logical, and smartly physics-based. There are optional shrines scattered throughout Hyrule that act as mini puzzle dungeons, and almost without exception, they’ve all been a lot of fun to figure out. After more than two dozen of them, Breath of the Wild also doesn’t seem out of ideas. "

It's encouraging to know that puzzles aren't an after thought in the new open world design. I feel like next to the puzzles the dungeons are the most important aspects of a Zelda game. Can't wait to hear some insight on them.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Polygon views. No thanks!

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 22Toothpicks

@charizard1605:

Yeah, I'm starting to the believe this game is truly worthy of the AAAA hype. I might need to change my prediction in the hype thread. >_>

The puzzles are challenging, enemies are an actual threat, we get a huge, lively world to explore, you have to actually think about where you're going and what dangers may be ahead...hopefully the dungeons are up to snuff. This really is looking like the best Zelda ever.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Wow, maybe they had their eyes closed when they played this, or blinked at 60 blinks per second exactly as each frame was displaying...

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

From the reactions and Doom meme it sounds like it was a positive 1st take... I'm going dark tho.

7 days!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@Desmonic: How?

Who plays Doom like that?

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 m_machine024

@22Toothpicks: Hmm.... would make sense. The preview could have been clearer on that.

I've always thought that dungeons are the real meat/main parts of Zelda games. With BotW tho, maybe not. Exploration, battles and puzzles all look equally fun this time. :P 6-8 main dungeons would be perfect for me.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

seems a bit super metroidy. I'm going to spend a lot if time on this game. can't wait

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34607 Posts

@m_machine024 said:

@22Toothpicks: Hmm.... would make sense. The preview could have been clearer on that.

I've always thought that dungeons are the real meat/main parts of Zelda games. With BotW tho, maybe not. Exploration, battles and puzzles all look equally fun this time. :P 6-8 main dungeons would be perfect for me.

I'm actually a bit worried about the dungeon part. I haven't seen a single dungeon in BotW. Is it because there are seriously few of those or because they don't want us to see? Have they replaced dungeons with tiny (but many) shrines?

I bet there will be great dungeons, but I still worry when they show nothing of it.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 22Toothpicks

@Litchie:

Reviewers are prohibited from talking about many aspects of the game and one of those things is the dungeons. It would be insane for Nintendo to make such an otherwise well crafted game and then just go half-ass on the dungeons. Lookie here. (No spoilers)

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 m_machine024

@Litchie said:
@m_machine024 said:

Hmm.... would make sense. The preview could have been clearer on that.

I'm actually a bit worried about the dungeon part. I haven't seen a single dungeon in BotW. Is it because there are seriously few of those or because they don't want us to see? Have they replaced dungeons with tiny (but many) shrines?

I bet there will be great dungeons, but I still worry when they show nothing of it.

I know right? The number of dungeons is my only worry so far. Maybe they don't show too much because they are story related... tho in the last trailer, there was a part that looked like he was inside a dungeon. Anyway there's still stuff reviewers can't talk about in their preview because of the NDA. Still lots of secrets... I feel like I know a lot about the game while barely knowing anything. -__-

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 22Toothpicks

@m_machine024:

But that intrigue is what get's me all hot and bothered.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Oh well might have to get a Switch now. Hope the game hasn't been spoiled too much by then.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Never did like getting restriction on places to go before you have the right equipment. Bit like how i hate only getting the best stuff till the end in a lot of games.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@22Toothpicks said:

"That respect radiates outward."

Pathetic tries like that to sound sophisticated just scream "Look, mom, I'm a writer now!"

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#35 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

My Wii U is gonna be getting a lot more play time. Reminds me I need to finish Wind Waker HD, maybe I'll do that before this releases.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@TheEroica said:

They had to make a dark souls reference didn't they?

"why, my weapon broke and I'm surrounded by tough enemies... "

Feels like dark souls Zelda!

I lol'd too. It's not a knock on Zelda in anyway, but Zelda is about as far removed from the DarkSouls genre as possible.