Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2420 Posts

Wanted to replace my PS4 Slim's thermal paste. The console is much too loud. It sits outside my room like a bad dog, connected with a long HDMI cable that goes under the door. Turns out you can't even replace the thermal paste without a goddamn soldering iron. Look at that cable laid across the plate. It's soldered on one side and fixed into some kind of perma-plug on the other. The motherboard plate also has the plate behind screwed in from the other side. I mean that those screws appear to be PART of that other plate. PlayStations are really uncivilized. Both dismantling videos I watched didn't go into taking off the motherboard plate. Shouldn't we be banning these practices as part of the right to repair legislation?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

I've heard they use the wrong forks for dessert. Very uncivilized.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44221 Posts

PlayStation is a mouth breather confirmed. 😅

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56138 Posts

Food for thought. Only if the thermal paste (where it wasn't applied properly, was no longer forming a proper seal and so on) was causing the APU to get hotter and require the fan to run at a higher speed to keep the system cooler. Sometimes the fan is just noisy.

It might not even be the fan - I thought my launch PS4 fan was fairly loud, and then I realized it was coil whine (where it makes a whining noise that changes based on how much power is being used) so this might be the same thing for you, and there's nothing that can be done about it. It's completely harmless though, just an annoyance. But if you really wanna go deeper and still want to apply thermal paste. Some say you could apply liquid metal but I really can't recommend the use of liquid metal for this application. It's too messy and there is too much risk of misapplying it, causing potential damage to the unit. Liquid metal is really best for CPU coolers delidding jobs on PCs to replace the crappy TIM used by the manufacturer. (looking at you, Intel!)

For the APU, go with Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut instead or any other high quality, non-metal thermal paste. It will do the job just fine!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

@clone01 said:

I've heard they use the wrong forks for dessert. Very uncivilized.

woh woh woh, you mean they use the long forks for dessert? What do they use the short ones for? AMUSE BOUCHES?!

Savages

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2567 Posts

I changed the thermal paste of mine a while ago, but i just needed a screwdriver; dunno if it's another model, by the way, i read that the only thing that do something noticeable for the heat and thus the fan sound is replacing the fan, not thermal paste, nor changing to an SSD; if anyone can confirm it would be great.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

just unscrew and slide the plate off without taking off the solder. Theres enough of a gap to do it. Or am I missing something?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11105 Posts

Please don't get electrocuted, OP

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

To make a console quiet, Sony has to make them really big, like the Dreadnought class USS PS5.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6849 Posts

Had to stop taking the post serious when OP said he keeps the PS4 outside the room. lol what?

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

@clone01: Please don’t tell me they eat soup with those forks too.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@shellcase86 said:

Had to stop taking the post serious when OP said he keeps the PS4 outside the room. lol what?

Someone told me that when playing certain games like GoW the PS4 gets really loud. Is that true?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9400 Posts

While I'm not surprised that they didn't design with user repair in mind, I am surprised that they thought the fan speed/noise was acceptable.

PS4 is a cheap POS, even in 2014 it was a cheap POS. At least the launch version was, I never used the others.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

So use a soldering iron… What’s the problem? It’ll add like 90 seconds to what you’re trying to do…

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50569 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@shellcase86 said:

Someone told me that when playing certain games like GoW the PS4 gets really loud. Is that true?

Pro gets really loud, yes.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69553 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

To make a console quiet, Sony has to make them really big, like the Dreadnought class USS PS5.

And it is still loud.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HalcyonScarlet

@Pedro said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

And it is still loud.

You're joking... The PS5 is STILL loud? I saw one in a shop window today and I couldn't believe how chunky it was. Images don't do it justice. It's almost as big as some desktop PCs.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#19 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69553 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet: To its credit it is not as loud as the PS4 or Pro but it is audible enough to be distracting.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2420 Posts
@shellcase86 said:

You know Bluetooth goes through doors, right? Yeah, that's what you need, the console fans roaring while you're watching a dramatic cutscene or trying to absorb the auditory ambience of a place.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

PS3 is much more user friendly. Just had the thermal paste replaced on mine a month ago.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10453 Posts

@warm_gun said:
@shellcase86 said:

You know Bluetooth goes through doors, right? Yeah, that's what you need, the console fans roaring while you're watching a dramatic cutscene or trying to absorb the auditory ambience of a place.

bring it back into the room for mgsv and when youre in the helicopter it'll feel like youre really there

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@Pedro said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

And it is still loud.

Depends on which fan you got, at least three different versions.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3416 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet: My Pro was so loud that even with headphones I could listen to the fans going and my cats would get alarmed with the sound. I think it's my least favourite console ever, impossible to get immersed while playing.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HalcyonScarlet

@kathaariancode said:

@HalcyonScarlet: My Pro was so loud that even with headphones I could listen to the fans going and my cats would get alarmed with the sound. I think it's my least favourite console ever, impossible to get immersed while playing.

Yeah, the guy told me that he could hear it from downstairs when it was in his room.

Is it as bad as the original Xbox 360?

The Gamecube fan is pretty annoying. I tried to fit a 3D printed bracket inside so I could fit a quieter fan, but I just couldn't get it to fit in the end.

Everyone else has pretty much been making quiet consoles for some time now. Don't know why Sony struggles.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HalcyonScarlet
@Random_Matt said:
@Pedro said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

And it is still loud.

Depends on which fan you got, at least three different versions.

It's unfortunate. For the price, it shouldn't be Russian roulette.

This is one of the reasons I think launch versions of consoles aren't the best. The Series S was different because the only moving part was the fan, so the chances of them messing that up was slim. But given the performance of the PS5 and Series X, I'd personally rather wait for any minor revisions.

Considering the size of the PS5, I assumed the console was silent. I thought that was the purpose of the size.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@Pedro said:

@HalcyonScarlet: To its credit it is not as loud as the PS4 or Pro but it is audible enough to be distracting.

On a mildly related note, I think I've realised why I don't like the look of the PS5.

The PS5 is actually bigger than the Xbox One significantly, and while the Xbox One was mocked for looking like a VCR, do you know what VCRs don't do? They don't attract attention to themselves.

The Xbox One on a shelf under the TV is fairly forgettable.

Why attract attention to something THAT big. It makes the original PS2 look like a work of art. I actually liked the look of the original PS3 given the size. It looked nice but didn't attract too much attention.

The PS5 is kind of like a fat guy in a tight t-shirt.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6849 Posts

@warm_gun said:
@shellcase86 said:

Lol, yes, I'm aware. The bluetooth connection is solid.

I guess I never understood the noise complaint. I game w/ headphones on 80% of the time, so I usually don't hear the console. I won't pretend it's a quiet console, but putting it outside of the same room you're gaming in seems like overkill.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7173 Posts
@Pedro said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

And it is still loud.

what you only here it when the disc spins for a few min. my ps5 is super quiet.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gifford38

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Pedro said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

And it is still loud.

You're joking... The PS5 is STILL loud? I saw one in a shop window today and I couldn't believe how chunky it was. Images don't do it justice. It's almost as big as some desktop PCs.

mine is super quiet. the only time I hear it is when i first turn it on if I have a disc in it.

disc stops spinning in 10 seconds or so.

even in a really quiet room I can't hear it.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gifford38
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Pedro said:

On a mildly related note, I think I've realised why I don't like the look of the PS5.

The PS5 is actually bigger than the Xbox One significantly, and while the Xbox One was mocked for looking like a VCR, do you know what VCRs don't do? They don't attract attention to themselves.

The Xbox One on a shelf under the TV is fairly forgettable.

Why attract attention to something THAT big. It makes the original PS2 look like a work of art. I actually liked the look of the original PS3 given the size. It looked nice but didn't attract too much attention.

The PS5 is kind of like a fat guy in a tight t-shirt.

a sexy fat guy in a white t-shirt.

ps5 looks awesome to me. I love the design.

reminds me of the phat ps3.

RaZoR500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RaZoR500
Member since 2005 • 381 Posts

That wire can just be pulled out...

All antennas are like that

All you need is a screwdriver to take it apart

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46348 Posts

Yeah as soon as a soldering iron gets involved, I'm out.