PlayStation Network vs Xbox Live Comparison

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leimeisei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 leimeisei
Member since 2006 • 416 Posts

I made this today because I noticed many people are either not informed of features on PSN or not informed on features of XBL, so I think it'd be helpful for some people, and i am 99% sure it is all correct. If I made any errors, contact me and I'll change it ASAP. thx :)

PSN vs XBL

Please argue your points based on the facts! Don't assume stuff just because someone told you or because you're making it up. Only say it if you actually know it!

Explanation about "In Game Private Voice Chat": I am not referring to the ability to have chat in a game. On XBL, you can hit the dashboard button and get into a chat with one of your friends, while muting the chat that is currently happening in the actual game. Its like a call waiting feature, sorta.. i guess.

UPDATE: I'm happy to be getting positive feedback :). But there's so much to add and I have so little time until I gotta go to work, so I'm going to just post the XLS and XLSX files, release it into the public domain, and anyone who wants to have it/edit it can do so freely.

I'm not sure if this is allowed or not, so if its not, mods please tell me and I'll remove the DL links asap. There are no viruses in these projects!!

Go here for downloads: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=bc9111ae45d28b73d2db6fb9a8902bda

sireclaborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 sireclaborn
Member since 2008 • 1305 Posts

I made this today because I noticed many people are either not informed of features on PSN or not informed on features of XBL, so I think it'd be helpful for some people, and i am 99% sure it is all correct. If I made any errors, contact me and I'll change it ASAP. thx :)

PSN vs XBL

Please argue your points based on the facts! Don't assume stuff just because someone told you or because you're making it up. Only say it if you actually know it!

leimeisei

good job tc

sony really is narrowing the gap. really all they need is in-game vc and text chat thing.

Burnsmiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Burnsmiesta
Member since 2004 • 1672 Posts
Gamers foot the online cost on Live, developers foot this cost on PSN. This makes devs working on small projects for the 360 more inclined to include an online aspect into their game than its PS3 counterpart.
Not much of an advantage, if at all but Live still has it's more "unified" system as opposed to the PSN which however is rapidly catching up.
whackedjob213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 whackedjob213
Member since 2006 • 2103 Posts
What about a cap on game size in the marketplace?
loganh92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 loganh92
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts

You should add movie distribution services (Netflix and PSN Video Store) and then Price. And wouldn't the XB mini menu technically be limited? You say it's mini, so I'm not sure, since the PS3 uses the full XMB.

Also Yes for both on in game messaging if you wanted too.

Otherwise great list...I'd like to know which games I can use music in, if you have them, I'd love to find that.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
To me, XBL beats PSN in almost every area, but it should, since I pay for it. PSN being free is enough for me to say that both services are pretty level in my eyes.
After_Math

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 After_Math
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts

PSN vs XBL

Explanation about "In Game Private Voice Chat": I am not referring to the ability to have chat in a game. On XBL, you can hit the dashboard button and get into a chat with one of your friends, while muting the chat that is currently happening in the actual game. Its like a call waiting feature, sorta.. i guess.

leimeisei

Almost all Xbox Live features are available free, all but Online Gameplay. PSN will allow taking characters into games (home) I believe. Also, put Limited for tracking on PSN.

Also, 360 will have 8-player private chat with Avatar, and be able to chat with everyone when in different games.

Home also allows everyone to watch a movie from ones "house," the NXLE will only allow that through NetFlix.

leimeisei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 leimeisei

@Whackedjob213:

There's a size cap? I didn't know, so I don't know what they are unfortunately. If you know them could you post them and I'll squeeze them in somewhere :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f956b96dc672
deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
Member since 2007 • 2218 Posts
there should be a box for whether your friends play on it, which we fill in in our minds
After_Math

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 After_Math
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts

@Whackedjob213:

There's a size cap? I didn't know, so I don't know what they are unfortunately. If you know them could you post them and I'll squeeze them in somewhere :)

leimeisei

I think the cap for XBLA is 500 MBs, but you should also add community downloadable games (XNA, WiiWare) as well.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

Looks pretty good.

A few things that I think you could add to the PS3 side are: remote access thru PSP, internet browser, support for server based games, support for bigger games with more players 32 warhawk, 40 resistance, 60 resistance 2.

leimeisei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 leimeisei
I added links to the Excel Spreadsheet files at the top, so anyone who wants to change them may do so, and redistribute them or what not. Ignore my copyright notice thing, i forgot to remove it.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="leimeisei"]

@Whackedjob213:

After_Math

I think the cap for XBLA is 500 MBs, but you should also add community downloadable games (XNA, WiiWare) as well.

It was 350 MBs last I had read but sometimes MS allows developers to go over that limit.

opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 opex07
Member since 2007 • 2236 Posts
For accomplishment tracking you might want to label trophies as limited as they are not supported in every game (and not required to be like Live), and currently are only available in 3 or 4 games.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

PSN vs XBL

UPDATE: I'm happy to be getting positive feedback :). But there's so much to add and I have so little time until I gotta go to work, so I'm going to just post the XLS and XLSX files, release it into the public domain, and anyone who wants to have it/edit it can do so freely.

I'm not sure if this is allowed or not, so if its not, mods please tell me and I'll remove the DL links asap. There are no viruses in these projects!!

Go here for downloads: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=bc9111ae45d28b73d2db6fb9a8902bda

leimeisei

You can Text Chat from any game with PSN now. 2.4 allows that. Overall, it seems fine.

loganh92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 loganh92

Looks pretty good.

A few things that I think you could add to the PS3 side are: remote access thru PSP, internet browser, support for server based games, support for bigger games with more players 32 warhawk, 40 resistance, 60 resistance 2.

EmperorSupreme

The internet browser and PSP Remote are great additions, server based and P2P based could be added too.

leimeisei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 leimeisei
[QUOTE="leimeisei"]

PSN vs XBL

SolidTy

You can Text Chat from any game with PSN now. 2.4 allows that. Overall, it seems fine.

You can Private Message, but by text chat I'm referring to something like AIM or Windows Live Messenger, where it's real-time.

loganh92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 loganh92
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="leimeisei"]

PSN vs XBL

leimeisei

You can Private Message, but by text chat I'm referring to something like AIM or Windows Live Messenger, where it's real-time.

It's real time, you get an alert every time the message comes in. What you're saying is technically IM, so that would be a completely different category.

lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lantus
Member since 2006 • 10591 Posts
On paper both services are definitely comparable, but PSN doesn't quite have the finess that Live has built in. It seems like it takes longer to do somethings than it should and kind of disorganized, but it doesn't hamper my experience at all, knowing it's there and it's free.
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

PSN is better because it's free.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#21 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5174 Posts
really good comparison, both of them seem really comparable.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SpruceCaboose

PSN is better because it's free.ReverseCycology

Did I enter the Twilight Zone?

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Pretty good chart.

I will refer to it in the future.

01_5k001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 01_5k001
Member since 2004 • 1107 Posts
PSN Leveling system and XBL Gamerscore are practically the same!!! Both use points to determine their score/level. Each trophy and achievement has a certain amount of points. PSN does not tell u how many points u have. However, once you reach a set amount points, ur PSN ID will level up. You should change it to "Points/Level System", something like that.
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ReverseCycology

TC when you find time you should also include XBL Silver which is a free service in the comparison.

kryloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kryloc
Member since 2003 • 2283 Posts

Always seems that downloads take longer on PSN.

Also, as far as movie previews and what not, far more is available on Live.

You can't forget to add the annoying, Download, User License Agreement and Install on the PS3. So even if I leave it running, I still have to come back and wait to install stuff.

kryloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kryloc
Member since 2003 • 2283 Posts

PSN Leveling system and XBL Gamerscore are practically the same!!! Both use points to determine their score/level. Each trophy and achievement has a certain amount of points. PSN does not tell u how many points u have. However, once you reach a set amount points, ur PSN ID will level up. You should change it to "Points/Level System", something like that. 01_5k001

Live has a leveling system. It's called TruSkill and it's behind the scenes. It effects who you play against in matches. Does the leveling system on PSN effect who you play against as well?

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

Good comparison. IMO PSN is better if you include thinking about the price, but XBL is better quality.

But some things like Custom Soundtracks and Universal point system for XBL and Web Browser for PSN they forgot.

gensigns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gensigns
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

Your "level" in live is your score.

Your "trophy" is a unique icon.

Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts
what about cross game invites and cross game chat?
Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts
Well, there is a few things you missed. Accessing Live (friends, messages, etc) on a PC, cross game invites, probably a few more. Plus, there's TrueSkill, which is there (but upto the developers to implement, I think).
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Well, there is a few things you missed. Accessing Live (friends, messages, etc) on a PC, cross game invites, probably a few more. Plus, there's TrueSkill, which is there (but upto the developers to implement, I think).Aaron89

Accomplishment tracking (trophies) on PS3 is limited - They're not in all games

Friends/account management online for PS3 is limited - XBL subscribers have a full-blown profile pages to manage friends, send/receive messages, track achievement progress.

In addition to TrueSkill, there's preference based matchmaking (Feedback, rep, prefer/avoid status)

Community based programs like the Ambassador and Community developer programs

Visible and accessible MS community managers

Online events ie Community Calendar (Ladies Night, Prime Time, Family Night, etc.)

ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ReverseCycology

Don't forget about XBL gaming Reputation, gamer Zone, and the ability File Complaints and to send Feed Back to other gamers.

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts
All the stuff mentioned on the 360 side can be accomplished with a free Silver account. The main difference between the two (and what you are essentially paying for, most would argue) is the ability to play online against others.
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ReverseCycology
[QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

PSN is better because it's free.SpruceCaboose

Did I enter the Twilight Zone?

I just wanted to know how it feels saying those words after knowing the facts and the truth. And let me tell you, it's not a good feeling. After knowing the facts and truth and you still say those words, you just get this sick feeling inside your stomach and chest, because you know that's a false thing to say right now.

gamefreakomega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gamefreakomega
Member since 2003 • 3732 Posts

Don't forget about XBL gaming Reputation, gamer Zone, and the ability File Complaints and to send Feed Back to other gamers.

ReverseCycology

That'd be heaven on PSN.

It also reminded me of something. I was playing some SCIV with some guy the other day and he completely owned me, but right as he was about to land the blow that would've won him the entire match the connection was lost. Two or three minutes later I got a message from the guy, in which he called me some of the filthiest things I've ever read, after he said how much of a cheat I was.

That's feedback, right?

yamcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 yamcake
Member since 2007 • 194 Posts
Now you just need to add the Wii on to the end so both cows and lemmings can laugh... :)
KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts
Good job TC. At the end of the day though, you can't really change anyones opinion about anything on SW. Its a fact of nature.
sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

gamefreakomega

That'd be heaven on PSN.

It also reminded me of something. I was playing some SCIV with some guy the other day and he completely owned me, but right as he was about to land the blow that would've won him the entire match the connection was lost. Two or three minutes later I got a message from the guy, in which he called me some of the filthiest things I've ever read, after he said how much of a cheat I was.

That's feedback, right?

No not really. Basically the options in Feedback are: "Prefer this player?" or "Avoid this player."

If you prefer the player, you'll have a higher chance of meeting them again in other matches. If you avoid them...you know.

If you could be able to file a complaint on that guy that sent you those messages, you could get him banned by doing so and getting your friends to do the same.

ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ReverseCycology

gamefreakomega

That'd be heaven on PSN.

That's feedback, right?

Oh man. Yeah, I think the only thing you could do after someone leaves you a message is block communications. But I don't think that will make you avoid the player in future gaming matches. And that's the con of PSN is that you can't really do anything if you get matched up with cheaters, hackers, and team killers. Atleast with XBL you could avoid these kind of players in the future, now that's future proof.

Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
In a world where we are being nickle and dimed for everything we do, free is better in every way to me.
Fusible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fusible
Member since 2005 • 2828 Posts
You forgot you can virtually watch a movie together over LIVE, you can go play daily game shows against other people, you will now receive actuall prizes for achieving certain achievements on LIVE. You don't have to download updates first that take a long time to download and then have to wait again to install the update. What they also talked was a future avatar fighitng system where you can wack another LIVE member a la Mafia Wars. I mean you forgot a lot of things to add to either side either way so this argument is mute.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
You forgot you can virtually watch a movie together over LIVE, you can go play daily game shows against other people, you will now receive actuall prizes for achieving certain achievements on LIVE. You don't have to download updates first that take a long time to download and then have to wait again to install the update. What they also talked was a future avatar fighitng system where you can wack another LIVE member a la Mafia Wars. I mean you forgot a lot of things to add to either side either way so this argument is mute.Fusible
:o show me how
Fusible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fusible
In a world where we are being nickle and dimed for everything we do, free is better in every way to me.Zoso-8
Well we might as well get everything free. So what is better a paid Steak dinner, or a no flavored meal from your local soup kitchen center for free. There is a distinguishable difference of what is better in that picture. Wanting everything for free has it's downside.
Fusible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fusible

[QUOTE="Fusible"]You forgot you can virtually watch a movie together over LIVE, you can go play daily game shows against other people, you will now receive actuall prizes for achieving certain achievements on LIVE. You don't have to download updates first that take a long time to download and then have to wait again to install the update. What they also talked was a future avatar fighitng system where you can wack another LIVE member a la Mafia Wars. I mean you forgot a lot of things to add to either side either way so this argument is mute.angelkimne
:o show me how

it's part of the update it's posted long before. If you look at the link look for these sections and it written right there about the new features. LINK

· LIVE Party system. Create a party of up to eight friends, and stay with them from one game to another, or watch a Netflix movie together, or share a slideshow of your personal photos. It works with all Xbox 360 titles, not just upcoming games. LIVE Party allows up to eight people to chat in the dashboard, so you can meet up before playing.

· Xbox LIVE Primetime. This whole new category of games is going to give you more reasons to get online with your friends. Games will support everything you'd expect, like Achievements and leader boards, but many of these games will include real prizes. You can invite your friends, and even set a reminder for an upcoming show. Each game is broadcast simultaneously, so everyone is answering the same questions. Many events will have a live host, calling the shots as they happen.

Avatar image for XxShadowTongyxX
XxShadowTongyxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 XxShadowTongyxX
Member since 2008 • 414 Posts
I would say off of the facts, that PS3 is better. Because they both do pretty much the same thing, but the PS3 does not charge to have the feature.
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
Yo TC, get rid of that red No for 360 leveling system. Who's to say going from 10k score to 20k score isn't as much "leveling up" as some ps3 user getting a number beside his name too? Same thing, different scale.
SpinoRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SpinoRaptor
Member since 2006 • 2419 Posts

In a world where we are being nickle and dimed for everything we do, free is better in every way to me.Zoso-8

Just because it's free, doesn't mean that it's better.

leimeisei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 leimeisei
Lol, there's so many different features for both networks that I can't compare them all!! Confusing!!!