PlayStation 2021 recap. Overall, how would rate PlayStation and how are you feeling about the future?

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll PlayStation 2021 recap. Overall, how would rate PlayStation and how are you feeling about the future? (44 votes)

10/10 - wow , wow , wow 16%
9/10 - superb 9%
8/10 - great 16%
7/10 - good 43%
I wish I could find a PS5/10 14%
I wish I could afford a PS5/10 2%

PlayStation 2021 recap

PlayStation Studios - Game Releases -

• Destruction AllStars
  • MLB The Show 21
  • Returnal
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
  • Iki Island / Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut
  • Death Stranding Director's Cut
  • Days Gone - PC

PlayStation Studios - Game Announcements -

• Spider-Man 2
  • Wolverine
  • Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection - PS5/PC
  • God of War - PC

PlayStation Studios - Aquisitions / happenings -

• Housemarque
  • Bluepoint Games
  • Firesprite + Fabrik
  • Nixxes
  • Valkyrie
  • Japan Studio >>> to >>> Team Asobi

PlayStation Studios - Partnership Announcements -

• Haven
  • Firewalk
  • Deviation
  • KOTOR Remake

Events / Marketing -

• PlayStation Showcase - God of War , Gran Turismo 7 , Spider-Man 2 , Wolverine , KOTOR Remake , etc.
  • Dedicated 1st party State of Plays - Destruction AllStars , Returnal , Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart , Horizon Forbidden West
  • Other State of Plays - Kena Bridge of Spirits , Deathloop , Solar Ash , SIFU, Little Devil Inside , etc.
  • Gran Turismo 7 - series of trailers
  • Horizon Forbidden West - The Game Awards trailer and Machines trailer

Other -

• PS+ offerings
  • PS Now offerings
  • Play at Home Initiative - free games
  • PSVR 2 - confirmation / introduction
  • Accessories - Controllers , covers , headsets , etc.
  • Updates - Firmware , features , 60 FPS b/c
  • etc.

• 
simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Dust collector.

2022 looks better,but then what?

More dust.

Best to have a average option in the poll,makes it look less shilly

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

I'm going to judge based on my own experience and not your obviously padded post.

I've only played PS4 games on my PS5 because none of the releases were worth $70 to me.

I'll definitely play Ratchet when it's cheaper though

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

@Nike_Air: Those are honestly two distinctly different questions. I'd give them an 8/10 so far. 9/10 for the future. 2022 has some heavy hitters and, knowing Spiderman 2 and, Wolverine are in the works is *chef's kiss*.

@navyguy21: Fwiw, Ratchet is $50 right now.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 navyguy21

@Nonstop-Madness: still not cheap enough considering the game's length. Maybe when it's $30.

Really looking forward to Horizon FW but, again, the $70 is a deal breaker

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@Nike_Air: this year wasn't such a good year for playstation. Id say its a giant yawn if anything, especially if you have an xbox which is the strongest console and the best place to play multiplat games, or even a PC.

However it still has its older library from 2020, such as spiderman miles morales, and even older god of war 2018. Overall trash year for playstation, xbox completely stomped them in the face and then some.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7204 Posts

5/10. No GamePass competitor and no good games worth buying. Hardly no one bought any of the games you listed. My PS5 just collects dust and stares at me while I play my Switch and Xbox.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3728 Posts

Microsoft definitely won 2021. Sony really had a mediocre year. What Sony needed was God of War this year, but Chris Judge got hurt so....

2022 looks to be stronger.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2929 Posts

Where is the 5/10 option? Persona 5 Royal and Hands of Fate 2 are the only reasons my PS4 isn't collecting dust. Playstation 5 is hard to find and looks so horribly ugly anyway, making me want to wait for a slim version.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

What a biased/controlled thread. Should have included 1-6 as options.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I will be a honest cow right now, and expect sealionact to save this post to claim ownage cuz that what he does when he visits gaming forums😁

Playstation, since the release of the PS5, has been absolutely pathetic. Nothing is being annonced. Their shows, ever since they stopped attending E3, have been miserable. The very few games that are coming are just ps4 ports (and lets be real, they could have easily released Demon's, Returnal and Ratchet by simply downgrading the game...), and we're going into the 2nd year of the system's launch.

3/10. Complete garbage.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

PlayStation is doing great keep up the good work Sony

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

They're coasting on their goodwill, nothing new. The market isn't compelling them to do better, so they won't.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

With regards to the PS5 debut and the games available, probably a 6/10. Not that I disapprove of the games released, but it has been a lackluster year for exclusives.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69488 Posts

The scores available are too high but that is expected from TC so, 🤷‍♂️

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

Imo returnal is the best game ive played this year. I have to take a break from gaming after that as i find myself hard to enjoy games after that. Looking forward to elder ring and god of war next year. So i guess im quite happy with it.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#16 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

3/10. Very poor. We have one in the house and it’s been collecting dust for most of the year. Easily the worst start for a Playstation system.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#17 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

@mesome713 said:

5/10. No GamePass competitor and no good games worth buying. Hardly no one bought any of the games you listed. My PS5 just collects dust and stares at me while I play my Switch and Xbox.

The Switch also does not have GamePass. I can't blame you for playing the Switch. It had nearly 5 years to build up a library of exclusives.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7166 Posts

Funny how alot of you saying 70 to much but yet 60 is not?

10 bucks more = and a game is not worth it?

im having a blast with my ps5.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gifford38
@svaubel said:

3/10. Very poor. We have one in the house and it’s been collecting dust for most of the year. Easily the worst start for a Playstation system.

wow really I keep up with all the good games this year that cameout on the ps5.

kena,returnal,ratchet and clank,deathloop,demon souls,f.i.s.t.,miles, astroplayroom so many more

plus ps5 ghost and death stranded.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 735 Posts

8/10 for me overall as a system. I'm pretty happy with the big releases this year even if none of them are truly heavy hitters. But I'm getting plenty of use out of the system. $70 games have been a blessing in disguise for me as I tend to wait for a discount before purchasing the game. We all have backlogs and I've been playing mine while I wait for that sweet spot with price points.

I'm tempted to give the win to MS for the year, but I feel like that is only because Halo and Forza are fresh on my memory. I'm not into racers and haven't tried Halo yet so I think I'll abstain from that argument. Psychonauts 2 was a nice game though.

Greygoose12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Greygoose12
Member since 2020 • 220 Posts

I always bought both systems, xbox and ps. This time I only bought the series x. Sony did a good job with buying timed exclusives. Other than that I am excited about gow 2. Never really liked spider man or superhero games. I will prob buy a ps5 in a few years. Right now I am content where I am. 6/10 for Sony. Jim ryan going to ruin them.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

My scores are meh/10 for their 2021 showing, and meh/10 for their future. The PS5 is the least exciting of the 3 consoles, by far. They need to drop some PSVR2 news soon, or they might lose me in 2022 in a big way

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12960 Posts

I voted 7 because you didn't have a 5. Been pretty dismal.

@gifford38 said:

$70 is a rip off.

@mesome713 said:

^This

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

Nothing worth $70 so far.

I was lucky enough to still have a few PS4 games left though that I had to finish.

Playing the Ratchet & Clank remake and The Last Guardian at 60fps is just heaven.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#25 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

I hate to say this but it would be a 7/10 for me. Nothing on the PS5 really excites me to be honest. I went with Series S and been having a blast with Game Pass.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 navyguy21

@gifford38 said:

Maybe you're the one misunderstanding what others are saying.

No one is saying they were fine with $60 games either, but fact is people didn't have any alternative other than to wait for sales.

You are also not factoring in the games themselves. No one wants to pay $60 for a 6-7hr game, so in this case $70 would be even more ridiculous.

I don't care how well made a game is, $60 is a lot to ask for a short game. I understand that console players don't have much of a choice but I do.

You are also ignoring the fact that not everyone is as fortunate as you seem to be, where you can spend $70 on new games regularly. $70 is a lot of money. This is why services like Game Pass is so popular. It's not that it has a ton of must have titles right now, it's more that it gives people access to a toon of average-great games at a much lower barrier to entry.

So congratulations on being a big baller? Not everyone is in your shoes.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 above_average
Member since 2021 • 1566 Posts

It's always interesting to see how eager people here are to trash what Sony has provided in games compared to what their other options are on other platforms they seem to love.

What did PC bring in 2021?

Old PS4 ports for $50 and Xbox games that people already stopped playing less than a month after release? Anything else outside of 3rd party games that are also on consoles?

I'm interested to see how people here spin and perform mental gymnastics in 2022. Sony has a monstrous year lined up. I don't think any other platform has bigger or more AAA 1st and 3rd party titles dropping compared to what Sony has.

I don't expect the wild Sony criticism stop, the thing is, I never see any of these high standard Sony bashers present any of the amazing ALTERNATIVE games they have on their preferred platforms they're playing to counter what Sony is offering.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@gifford38 said:
@svaubel said:

kena,returnal,ratchet and clank,deathloop,demon souls,f.i.s.t.,miles, astroplayroom so many more

You are so desperate that you are adding last year's games. 😂 More proof that PS5 was pretty abysmal this year. Kena and F.I.S.T....😄😂

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gifford38

@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:
@svaubel said:

You are so desperate that you are adding last year's games. 😂 More proof that PS5 was pretty abysmal this year. Kena and F.I.S.T....😄😂

I counted its first year on the market list of games. might be last year games but its still its first year. what so funny about kena and f.i.s.t? f.i.s.t. is great I started playing it this week. its only 22 bucks.

yes the ps5 had a week xmas season but feb is coming with hzd2 and sifu.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gifford38
@navyguy21 said:
@gifford38 said:

Maybe you're the one misunderstanding what others are saying.

No one is saying they were fine with $60 games either, but fact is people didn't have any alternative other than to wait for sales.

You are also not factoring in the games themselves. No one wants to pay $60 for a 6-7hr game, so in this case $70 would be even more ridiculous.

I don't care how well made a game is, $60 is a lot to ask for a short game. I understand that console players don't have much of a choice but I do.

You are also ignoring the fact that not everyone is as fortunate as you seem to be, where you can spend $70 on new games regularly. $70 is a lot of money. This is why services like Game Pass is so popular. It's not that it has a ton of must have titles right now, it's more that it gives people access to a toon of average-great games at a much lower barrier to entry.

So congratulations on being a big baller? Not everyone is in your shoes.

thing is I have not played deathloop,demon souls, and returnal yet. I only bought ratchet and clank for 70 bucks which was worth it.

kena great game was only 40 bucks. miles was only 40 bucks.

f.i.s.t was only 22 bucks when I got it. i'm not rich either.

but games have been 60 since nes days and those games was even shorter than 6 hours. so i expected a price jump at some point.

I will be paying 70 for hzd2 because I know it will be longer than 30 hours long.

70 bucks on gow2 because its longer than 30 hours long.

returnal for me I will wait until a price drop for that.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gifford38
@x_hedon said:

I voted 7 because you didn't have a 5. Been pretty dismal.

@gifford38 said:

$70 is a rip off.

@mesome713 said:

^This

not for games like hzd2. its been 60 bucks since nes days and those was less than 2 hours long but we all bought them back then. heck final fantasy 4 for snes was 80 bucks when it came out.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gifford38
@R4gn4r0k said:

Nothing worth $70 so far.

I was lucky enough to still have a few PS4 games left though that I had to finish.

Playing the Ratchet & Clank remake and The Last Guardian at 60fps is just heaven.

ratchet and clank is worth 70.

check out f.i.s.t. its 22 bucks right now. im playing it now and its great. kena is a great game and its only 40 bucks.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gifford38
@tjandmia said:

Microsoft definitely won 2021. Sony really had a mediocre year. What Sony needed was God of War this year, but Chris Judge got hurt so....

2022 looks to be stronger.

i don't get how on earth xbox won 2021 with 2 games.

nothing until nov. one year later from series x release. ps5 had games all year long until nov. 2021. heck there was no launch games on xbox. so forza made xbox win this year?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gifford38
@above_average said:

It's always interesting to see how eager people here are to trash what Sony has provided in games compared to what their other options are on other platforms they seem to love.

What did PC bring in 2021?

Old PS4 ports for $50 and Xbox games that people already stopped playing less than a month after release? Anything else outside of 3rd party games that are also on consoles?

I'm interested to see how people here spin and perform mental gymnastics in 2022. Sony has a monstrous year lined up. I don't think any other platform has bigger or more AAA 1st and 3rd party titles dropping compared to what Sony has.

I don't expect the wild Sony criticism stop, the thing is, I never see any of these high standard Sony bashers present any of the amazing ALTERNATIVE games they have on their preferred platforms they're playing to counter what Sony is offering.

lol right it took one year since launch to get a great game forza. nothing all year long yet sony been dropping exclusives and time exclusives all year.

even medium is on ps5 now.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 simple-facts

@gifford38:

Xbox won an official SW poll for 2021,you can shit and stamp in it all you want,but that won't change the result.

It just makes it funnier watching your damage control 🤣

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gifford38

@simple-facts said:

@gifford38:

Xbox won an official SW poll for 2021,you can shit and stamp in it all you want,but that won't change the result.

It just makes it funnier watching your damage control 🤣

ok only in sw xbox won. mostly pc and xbox fans in here so I guess its fear lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@gifford38: I accept your denial

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

It's been a good year not great but don't see how people can say Xbox win the year with 2 games at the end of the year.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By simple-facts

@gifford38:

Bu bu bu bu bu bu but

🤣