PIRACY: the death of the PC games industry?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tcarruth
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

Today the BBC published an online article stating that piracy is the biggest threat to PC gaming (costing the industry potentially 100% of its current profits).  This is also considered to be a large problem on consoles  (up to 50% of their profits lost).

What is your view on this?  There appears to be several different opinions that go around (the most common feature in the poll). Please vote for the one you think best represents you or feel free to write your opinion.  

It strikes me that the high price of games argument for piracy is poor since it probably increases game prices.  Following this logic however, if PC games are the most pirated why are they still the cheapest? 

Do you think PC gaming will be marginalised by rife piracy?

mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mikemil828
Member since 2003 • 7024 Posts

Today the BBC published an online article stating that piracy is the biggest threat to PC gaming (costing the industry potentially 100% of its current profits). This is also considered to be a large problem on consoles (up to 50% of their profits lost).

What is your view on this? There appears to be several different opinions that go around (the most common feature in the poll). Please vote for the one you think best represents you or feel free to write your opinion.

It strikes me that the high price of games argument for piracy is poor since it probably increases game prices. Following this logic however, if PC games are the most pirated why are they still the cheapest?

tcarruth

Reduce the costs of development, that is the biggest threat to gaming in general, not just PC gaming
Jrob2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jrob2k8
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts
Where's the: The game is too rare so I Pirate it option?
Vojkan80001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 Vojkan80001
Member since 2005 • 3621 Posts

Today the BBC published an online article stating that piracy is the biggest threat to PC gaming (costing the industry potentially 100% of its current profits).  This is also considered to be a large problem on consoles  (up to 50% of their profits lost).

What is your view on this?  There appears to be several different opinions that go around (the most common feature in the poll). Please vote for the one you think best represents you or feel free to write your opinion.  

It strikes me that the high price of games argument for piracy is poor since it probably increases game prices.  Following this logic however, if PC games are the most pirated why are they still the cheapest? 

tcarruth

I dont care about PC but when it comes to consoles, they just need to shut up! They are making tons of money already

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tcarruth

Where's the: The game is too rare so I Pirate it option?Jrob2k8

I can only do five options and I think that one is quite unlikely in the new EBAY era.. Just out of interest can you give me an example? (the only one I can't get is ICO for the ps2..)

gnutux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 gnutux
Member since 2005 • 1341 Posts
Like the music industry, there are people pirating music all day and do you see artists going broke (aside from not appealing crowds anymore)? Of course it's going to dent their earnings, but not to the point of going broke. Musicians would like to spread their music around than to purely earn a profit off from it. It's not going to happen for the lowering the costs of development. It takes too much man power to create a game. gnutux
chrisdojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 chrisdojo
Member since 2005 • 5065 Posts
i buy my games.
Suyomizzle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 Suyomizzle_
Member since 2005 • 1317 Posts

[QUOTE="Jrob2k8"]Where's the: The game is too rare so I Pirate it option?tcarruth

I can only do five options and I think that one is quite unlikely in the new EBAY era.. Just out of interest can you give me an example? (the only one I can't get is ICO for the ps2..)

Valkirye Profile. Anything for Sega Saturn. Earthbound.
Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts
Where's the: The game is too rare so I Pirate it option?Jrob2k8
yeah thats pretty much the time i would do it. But i still believe its wrong so i wouldnt normally do it.
tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tcarruth

Reduce the costs of development, that is the biggest threat to gaming in general, not just PC gaming

Sure, its pretty tricky though especially now that everyone is going realism mad with the graphics and gameplay. In fact, wii games really ought to be cheaper than your average 360/PS3/PC title..

Ezgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ezgam3r
Member since 2006 • 2308 Posts
If PC gaming would go down because of piracy, it would have been dead for a LONG time now.
Jrob2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jrob2k8
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts

[QUOTE="Jrob2k8"]Where's the: The game is too rare so I Pirate it option?tcarruth

Chrono Trigger- SNES.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
it seems that for pc games the best thing to do is have an online portion that is compelling and requires an account. the other way to go is make games that will actually run on the average PC. the average person doesn't pirate but if all you do is make games that target the $500 video card crowd you'll get a larger percent of pirates and also limit the buyers. just look at blizzard games. non of they are graphically advanced. they still sell well and look good because of the art and design yet any pc can play them.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
That article is pure BS if they are stating that console profits are down 50% because of piracy. Piracy on console's is a blip on the map compared to PC piracy. And even then, how can 100% of profits be lost???? Makes no sense...
Click_Clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Click_Clock
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts
If PC gaming would go down because of piracy, it would have been dead for a LONG time now.Ezgam3r
Not really, I'm in college and I noticed that last year was the huge "Bit-torrent Boom" where just about everyone know or learned how to use it. 
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Pirated games are not right. Though it isn't the death of the industry, it is just the curse of the industry. 
readingfc_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 readingfc_1
Member since 2004 • 2548 Posts
I occasionally download a game if i'm out of money. I'll probably guy it when i get paid to play online. I only really play pc games to play online, with a few exceptions.

Rare or old games i will occasionally download. Online games before i have money i might download.