Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Wasteland 2 probably would have looked better if it was built this way, using 2d isometric backgrounds with 3d characters. This is a very nice looking game.

It looks much better than Wasteland 2 and plays a million times better. The writing is much better too. It dumps on Divinity OS as well which looks like the kind of game we thought we all wantedbut walked the walk and sadly coudn't talk the talk (for me anyway).

Pillars is a game that looks and plays fantastic in 2015 but still would have held its own against BG and Planescape back when games were actually games.

Not sure what you were expecting but for me Divinity: OS is more reminiscent of icewind Dale than Baldurs Gate. Icewind Dale basically has no predefined characters with very little dialogue, it was entirely combat focused. Which is fine, some people enjoy that, myself included.

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#202 froidnite
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts

I've read a few reviews and any game that gets this many comparisons to the great PS:T must be a great game. I can't wait to start playing it tonight.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#203 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9554 Posts

93 on metacritic is great. Hopefully this means that good games will continue to roll out at this pace.

@deadline-zero0 said:

@blueeyedcasva: I guess i'll put the MC, if only to grab people's attention to it. You know, it's not a major AAA budget console exclusive with big production values and going for that cinematic experience and all that jazz, so people tend to walk on by.

Atleast both scores can get any lurkers potentially interested. Not only for the sake of the thread, but mainly for the game itself.

D:OS got a huge boost in sales thanks to the great scores. If PoE scores great aswell, letting more people know might help out.

I think this thread should be stickied. This game was supported by a kickstarter project, and look at the critical acclaim it is getting. That is something very significant.

Question for those playing this: If I was a fan of games like Diablo II in the past, is this game for me?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By uninspiredcup

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

93 on metacritic is great. Hopefully this means that good games will continue to roll out at this pace.

@deadline-zero0 said:

@blueeyedcasva: I guess i'll put the MC, if only to grab people's attention to it. You know, it's not a major AAA budget console exclusive with big production values and going for that cinematic experience and all that jazz, so people tend to walk on by.

Atleast both scores can get any lurkers potentially interested. Not only for the sake of the thread, but mainly for the game itself.

D:OS got a huge boost in sales thanks to the great scores. If PoE scores great aswell, letting more people know might help out.

I think this thread should be stickied. This game was supported by a kickstarter project, and look at the critical acclaim it is getting. That is something very significant.

Question for those playing this: If I was a fan of games like Diablo II in the past, is this game for me?

Not like Diablo II, tactical party based combat and quite abit of dialogue.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@blueinheaven said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Wasteland 2 probably would have looked better if it was built this way, using 2d isometric backgrounds with 3d characters. This is a very nice looking game.

It looks much better than Wasteland 2 and plays a million times better. The writing is much better too. It dumps on Divinity OS as well which looks like the kind of game we thought we all wantedbut walked the walk and sadly coudn't talk the talk (for me anyway).

Pillars is a game that looks and plays fantastic in 2015 but still would have held its own against BG and Planescape back when games were actually games.

Not sure what you were expecting but for me Divinity: OS is more reminiscent of icewind Dale than Baldurs Gate. Icewind Dale basically has no predefined characters with very little dialogue, it was entirely combat focused. Which is fine, some people enjoy that, myself included.

Well that's an interesting point. I'm not sure what I expected from Divinity OS other than a good turned based fantasy-oriented CRPG. Thinking back I was never that sold on Icewind Dale because I didn't play those games just for the combat even though I enjoyed it. It probably explains why so many people raved over D:OS maybe they were just expecting a game with great combat and didn't care about the rest of it. I expected the whole package and just couldn't bring myself to suffer through it.

I'm not sure the Divinity devs would agree with you though. They spent so much time literally drenching every area in quests and dialogue (they went way over the top) it looked to me like they were just trying to justify how much money people had spent on it regardless of how it all came together as a game in the end.

Pillars knows what it wants to be right from the start and executes it perfectly. I am loving it so far.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#206 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

*cough* I'm gonna say a reminder here that Planescape Torment spiritual sequel is actually in the works and supposedly come out this year

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By uninspiredcup

@blueinheaven said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@blueinheaven said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Well that's an interesting point. I'm not sure what I expected from Divinity OS other than a good turned based fantasy-oriented CRPG. Thinking back I was never that sold on Icewind Dale because I didn't play those games just for the combat even though I enjoyed it. It probably explains why so many people raved over D:OS maybe they were just expecting a game with great combat and didn't care about the rest of it. I expected the whole package and just couldn't bring myself to suffer through it.

I'm not sure the Divinity devs would agree with you though. They spent so much time literally drenching every area in quests and dialogue (they went way over the top) it looked to me like they were just trying to justify how much money people had spent on it regardless of how it all came together as a game in the end.

Pillars knows what it wants to be right from the start and executes it perfectly. I am loving it so far.

For me I kinda look at it as a scale, at the top end, you have Planescape Torment, which is heavy dialogue driven with almost no combat focus, than Baldurs Gate, which sort of sits in the middle and then Icewind Dale, which is essentially a massive dungeon crawl, if that makes sense.

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Halo2-Best-FPS
Member since 2004 • 784 Posts

lmao browser games

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9554 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Not like Diablo II.

Tactical party based combat and quite abit of dialogue.

I just watched some gameplay footage. Looks baldur's gate-ish; I never got into baldur's gate. I still would like to support it.

ArunsunK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#210 ArunsunK
Member since 2014 • 335 Posts

@Halo2-Best-FPS:

Your insecurity is showing.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

Finally downloading.

Your screenshots are too small there plenty of better and bigger ones online that show how beautiful and detailed the game is

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#212 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

MC = 93

GS likely going to be 6/10

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@blueinheaven said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@blueinheaven said:

@uninspiredcup said:

For me I kinda look at it as a scale, at the top end, you have Planescape Torment, which is heavy dialogue driven with almost no combat focus, than Baldurs Gate, which sort of sits in the middle and then Icewind Dale, which is essentially a massive dungeon crawl, if that makes sense.

It kind of makes sense. I absolutely loved PT but wouldn't say it had no combat focus I would say it wasn't the only focus as it was in Icewind Dale. Same goes for BG which to me was as much into scene setting as PT and it was great it just wasn't as good as probably the best CRPG ever made which is no shame.

Divinity I think started off as one thing and then tried to be everything as it got more backers and the game is a convulluted mess as a result they had no clear vision not even a good story to fall back on and adhere to. They just muddled their way through it and reviewers starved of good CRPG's that didn't look like cow dung (indie) went way over the top about it. Ditto Wasteland 2.

Pillars has massively raised the bar. Numenara needs to be this good now or their backers will be mightily pissed off.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

what difficulty is everyone playing on? im thinking about trying hard in the first play thru

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#215 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

it got a 9 from ign

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/27/pillars-of-eternity-review

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 lawlessx

@lostrib said:

it got a 9 from ign

wow..

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Glad to see that the game sells well. It's already in the top 10 of the most played games on Steam.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By uninspiredcup

@lostrib said:

it got a 9 from ign

"Dated art-style"

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

@lawlessx:

I normally start my games on hard, but I'm terrified of making the wrong stat choice in these types of RPGs, so I started on normal.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#220 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@lawlessx:

I normally start my games on hard, but I'm terrified of making the wrong stat choice in these types of RPGs, so I started on normal.

This game is supposedly more forgiving when it comes to min-maxing at least.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Bloodborne's been pretty disappointing as an rpg so far. I hope I'll enjoy this a lot more. If it's anything like Baldur's Gate I know I will

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 jhonMalcovich

Wow. That was fast. IGN's review is up.

Link

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 uninspiredcup

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@lawlessx:

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/291650/manuals/pe-game-manual.pdf?t=1427418126

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@lawlessx said:

what difficulty is everyone playing on? im thinking about trying hard in the first play thru

Set to hard. You can always diminish it in the options. But from what I played, hard is actually hard.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

3 hours in now. The game is everything I wanted it to be and more - essentially Baldurs Gate 2 with a splash of Torment's writing and tone.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Some screenshots of me playing, been on for about 8-9 hours and wow, what a game! Best day gaming in awhile! Obsidian nailed it with this game, Really deserves the good reviews it is getting!

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Halo2-Best-FPS

Lmao these gfx are from 1992

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 lawlessx

I just got KO'd by a bear with one attack.

thank god for auto save

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15580 Posts

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Graphics don't make a game, scores for The Snorder compared to Bloodborne should have been enough to tell your sad butthurt waste-of-an-existence of that.

Not to mention graphics in 1992 looked like this

So not only are you sad and jelly but you're full of shit too. tsk tsk.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

@Vaasman said:

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Graphics don't make a game, scores for The Snorder compared to Bloodborne should have been enough to tell your sad butthurt waste-of-an-existence of that.

Not to mention graphics in 1992 looked like this

So not only are you sad and jelly but you're full of shit too. tsk tsk.

The guy has nothing better to do since he's been spamming every thread on this game saying the same thing. I wouldn't be surprise if his other alts comment here.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#231 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14917 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@blueinheaven said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@blueinheaven said:

@uninspiredcup said:

It kind of makes sense. I absolutely loved PT but wouldn't say it had no combat focus I would say it wasn't the only focus as it was in Icewind Dale. Same goes for BG which to me was as much into scene setting as PT and it was great it just wasn't as good as probably the best CRPG ever made which is no shame.

Divinity I think started off as one thing and then tried to be everything as it got more backers and the game is a convulluted mess as a result they had no clear vision not even a good story to fall back on and adhere to. They just muddled their way through it and reviewers starved of good CRPG's that didn't look like cow dung (indie) went way over the top about it. Ditto Wasteland 2.

Pillars has massively raised the bar. Numenara needs to be this good now or their backers will be mightily pissed off.

Numenera looks like the next level of storytelling far more the Pillars would be.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#232 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Why IGN russia's review (10/10) is not listed on MC?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By uninspiredcup

Random NPC's i'v inspected by "reaching into their' soul", with seemingly random tidbits of story are more interesting than main Bioware characters.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

I can't believe how good it is, I was gonna buy a wiiu, not anymore. Best game I've played in maybe a decade. Seems dramatic but damm they really pulled off something amazing here. The folks st Obsidian are geniuses.

They must have sat down and said, OK our game has to be hard but at the same time there are no wrong choices or mistakes. And they actually pulled it off. My heavy armor, mace wielding priest is not only good, he's a fucking juggernaut.

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Halo2-Best-FPS

fucking shitty game, a bear just killed me on 1 hit on normal settings.

Last time I listen to you nerds.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

@Halo2-Best-FPS: maybe you just suck

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Halo2-Best-FPS

@rabakill said:

No he literally 1 shots me no matter what I press. Try it yourself.

**** this im going back finishing The Order

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

@Halo2-Best-FPS: It's funny, but the bear cave situation is actually one of the signs that Pillars is a great RPG:

(1) It's a sign that the developers won't hold your hand. Can you imagine Bioware or Bethesda simply murdering you for wandering into the wrong cave in an early area?

(2) It's a sign that the developers are fair. It's a cave labelled 'bear cave', with a nearby hunter talking about how his friend was murderised by a bear. You can't say you weren't warned, and if you go in there by yourself, thinking that your newbie character can take down a bear, your death is your own fault.

(3) It's a sign that the developers understand how to make interesting fights. The other fights in the area are solo-able, even on hard mode. This one takes strategy even if you wander in with a party of three.

(4) It all ties in with a clever quest that shows off some of the game's key mechanics.

(5) It provides you with some fun roleplaying options at the end.

All of that from one small cave with a couple of enemies in it.

Although yeah, short version is that you suck. :p

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#239 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Planeforger: Are you seriously replying to this troll. He thinks Order 188flop is the best game of the year.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#240 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

MC = 93

Wanna bet? ;)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@DigitalDame said:

@foxhound_fox said:

MC = 93

Wanna bet? ;)

I'm calling 7/10. Your One DD.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#242  Edited By digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@davillain-: 8/10

Oh, one quick thing...

DISCLAIMER: The score that I have given is arbitrary and is based on information that is readily available to the community and in no way has an actual impact on the score that will be given by the official site (GameSpot) and any correlation between the two scores is purely coincidence and dumb luck.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By uninspiredcup

Liking the Total War speed up mechanic, waddling around maps in old Infinity Engine games was pretty annoying, espcailly with 6 party member characters bumping into each other.

The death system seems pretty good as well, overall death meter that drips down rather than insta-perma or just letting you get up without any repercussions.

The camping gear stops you exploiting the shit out of "rest" as i'm sure many people done.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#245 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@rabakill said:

He's trolling. He copied comment from page 4 where someone said that the game is hard and he died with 1 hit by bear. He said he's enjoying the game. Halo2-Best-FPS copied the comment replaced "hard" with "shitty" in his comment. I doubt that he even owns the game. It's sad that some people go that far when trolling.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Started a character last night. So much more depth in the character creation than any other RPG ive ever played. Combat is pretty straight forward, looks like a solid 8-9 for me here.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@DigitalDame said:

@foxhound_fox said:

MC = 93

Wanna bet? ;)

I'll bet an entire necks worth of beard that he is correct.

Nah, expecting 8/10.

10/10 would bring some much needed entertainment to this board though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 uninspiredcup

How do you kill shadows? They just keep cloning themselfs over and over.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@lawlessx said:

I just got KO'd by a bear with one attack.

thank god for auto save

I actually managed to kill those two bears. I apparently found an OP class - it's a f*cking druid. It looks like when I turn with my druid into animal form, the process damages enemies that too close to you. And the damage is far from being little; it usually takes 90% of enemy's health. So with the druid, I charmed one bear and with his help killed the other bear, and then turned into my animal stag form, which looks like a crazy werewolf stag f*cking monster and killed with it the first bear. But yeh, it took me a bit of trials and reloading. Bear do can KO with one attack, especially on the hard difficulty I am playing on. But so far, the druid is probably the strongest initial class in PoE. The wizard resulted to be the weakest at the start as he constantly needs a rest to replenish his spells.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 uninspiredcup

Wizards are OP in 99% of RPG's. It's good they gimped the spell usage imo.