Picking up an Xbox One this weekend, have a few questions

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Should I go for the 500GB or 1TB model? There is a $50 difference between them.

Is the elite controller REALLY worth the money?

What games should I get with it? I'm definitely getting Forza 6 and Horizon 2 because I'm starved for racing games. What else?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

The HDD space you choose with an Xbox One isn't really that important as externals are extremely cheap and you can run two simultaneously up to 16 Terabyte each.

I'd say it is if you're into competitive gaming or plan to play for a very long time, you have to think that peripherals are Scorpio compatible so an Elite will last you years.

Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 3, Halo 5, The Master Chief Collection, Rare Replay, Quantum Break (just try it, I really did enjoy it), Dead Rising 3 & 4, ReCore, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Gears of War 4 etc

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
@mems_1224 said:

lolololololololololololololololololololololololol

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

It has external hard drive support so that helps even if you get the 500 GB version. Master Chief Collection is good, Far Cry Primal is pretty great on it too.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

1TB.....the elite controller is worth it if you have the extra cash to spend, best controller I've ever owned.

You can't go wrong with those 2 racing games, Halo 5, like dynamite said give Sunset Overdrive and QB a go. Also if u haven't already played Ori on the PC, get that.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dynamitecop

@chikenfriedrice said:

1TB.....the elite controller is worth it if you have the extra cash to spend, best controller I've ever owned.

You can't go wrong with those 2 racing games, Halo 5, like dynamite said give Sunset Overdrive and QB a go. Also if u haven't already played Ori on the PC, get that.

Oh I forgot about Ori and the Blind Forest, Cuphead will be coming this year also.

Loading Video...

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: 500g for $50 is pretty sweet. Rise of Tomb Raider can be found for good price too. Id advise just grabbing a couple games. No need to try and buy a bunch, especially with black friday coming and the buy 1 get 1 deals coming next month.

Also if dont want Madden, can sell it easily cause football season.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chikenfriedrice

@dynamitecop: I loved it

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Should I go for the 500GB or 1TB model? There is a $50 difference between them.

Is the elite controller REALLY worth the money?

What games should I get with it? I'm definitely getting Forza 6 and Horizon 2 because I'm starved for racing games. What else?

elite controller is not worth it imo.

500 gb is enough

I play magic duels and fifa ultimate team mostly, Xbox has exclusive content for fifa , maybe also for madden , don't know about that.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NathanDrakeSwag

@dynamitecop said:

The HDD space you choose with an Xbox One isn't really that important as externals are extremely cheap and you can run two simultaneously up to 16 Terabyte each.

I'd say it is if you're into competitive gaming or plan to play for a very long time, you have to think that peripherals are Scorpio compatible so an Elite will last you years.

Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, The Master Chief Collection, Rare Repla & Quantum Break (just try it, I really did enjoy it).

Would it be cheaper to buy an external instead of $50 for the extra 500GB? I'm not much of a digital person so I don't need a crazy amount of space. Just enough to get by.

Found a deal for the elite controller for $120 new which seems decent compared to the regular price tag and since it will be compatible with Scorpio I may as well get it. I do quite a bit of online gaming.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dynamitecop

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@dynamitecop said:

Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, The Master Chief Collection, Rare Repla & Quantum Break (just try it, I really did enjoy it).

Would it be cheaper to buy an external instead of $50 for the extra 500GB? I'm not much of a digital person so I don't need a crazy amount of space. Just enough to get by.

Found a deal for the elite controller for $120 new which seems decent compared to the regular price tag and since it will be compatible with Scorpio I may as well get it. I do quite a bit of online gaming.

The $50 is worth it in comparison, you need to remember that like the PS4 all games install to the HDD so digital or not it takes up the same space on the drive.

If you do a lot of online gaming then Xbox is honestly the place to be, it's not all the platform is about but its an integral part of it and there are a lot of multi-player experiences to be had.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

Get the 1TB model if you are getting one. And no, I don't think the Elite controller is worth it at all, save the cash for a extra game or something.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Get a external hard drive. I bought a 3 TB one and never have to worry about space. I am so happy I bought a external hard drive.

As far as games to get-

For multiplayer -Halo 5 multiplayer is awesome. The single player story sucks but gameplay is very good. Still tons of players and lots of free DLC

For single player- Halo Master Chief collection. Such a great value and the gameplay holds up great.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14423 Posts

Yeah, I don't believe that.

@mems_1224 said:

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14838 Posts

Hahahaha, this is gold!

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#17 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Get Halo 5 and try out your free Gold trial with it. It's fucking phenomenal. Add me if you want, GreenLifeSONG

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

Surprised to see you jumping ship.

Why?

Beavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Beavis
Member since 2016 • 131 Posts

Personally I'd wait one extra year for the vastly superior Scorpio bro.

I don't see the point in buying a bone now when a new Xbox console is coming out next year and will be several times more powerful and can play all the same games at much higher graphical settings.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22423 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: I never thought I'd see the day... is this a prank or what?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Beavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Beavis

@hrt_rulz01:

I think the OP (along with many other cows) had a meltdown over the PS4 Pro disaster.

I seen Cows arguing amongst each other. It was entertaining so I grabbed my popcorn.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: My honest opinion is to get the 500g and a 1 to 2 tb external. Think of it as a long term investment that will ALSO work with Scorpio, which btw will also mean all your installed games are installed on the new console as soon as you plug in the external hdd and sign into your Live account. I don't think the Elite controller is not worth it unless you are a very competitive in fighting or fps games. It will give you an advantage, but I'm not sure you would want to use it enough to get your moneys worth otherwise.

I would wait for Horizon 3 coming in 3 weeks. If you like Ratchet & Clank you will enjoy Sunset Overdrive. If you want to try out the Halo games, get the Halo bundle with all 5 core games. I wouldn't pick up Rise of the Tomb Raider since the PS4 version probably will be superior, regardless of what fanboys say. Also if you get Xbox Live before the 15th, grab Horizon 1 off GWG while it's still free.

I'm curious, are you trading in the ps4 or keeping it? I'd recommend keeping it if that is on the table. I can understand that you may be upset with Sony for all the mistakes they've made lately, but when that settles it'll just be about the games, not the brand.

Whatever you decide, hope you have a lot of fun with the games you get. Add me on Live if you want(Suicide Snowman), I'll most likely play Horizon 3 in the near future once I beat ReCore, if you'd like to race that is.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

@brah4ever: it's just a ruse lol

Seriously though TC wait for the Scorpio that is The Best Bet

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: I think it's great that a person like you is going to buy an Xbox. But doesn't it feel a bit ridiculous after being such a shameless fanboy for Sony to all of a sudden talk shit about them and then buy an Xbox? I think it's progress mind, but aren't you at least a bit embarrassed? What caused your anti-Sony meltdown? I just ask for the benefit of psychological science in the study of video games and rabid fanboyism and what we may learn from this. Most won't ask so I am going to do it. What gives?

Will you be changing that hideous name of your's now?

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

I'll be getting an Xbox S after Sony decided to not allow mods for Fallout 4 and Skyrim. I'll get a Pro next year.

Quick question do you need live to download mods?

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NathanDrakeSwag

@suicidesn0wman said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: My honest opinion is to get the 500g and a 1 to 2 tb external. Think of it as a long term investment that will ALSO work with Scorpio, which btw will also mean all your installed games are installed on the new console as soon as you plug in the external hdd and sign into your Live account. I don't think the Elite controller is not worth it unless you are a very competitive in fighting or fps games. It will give you an advantage, but I'm not sure you would want to use it enough to get your moneys worth otherwise.

I would wait for Horizon 3 coming in 3 weeks. If you like Ratchet & Clank you will enjoy Sunset Overdrive. If you want to try out the Halo games, get the Halo bundle with all 5 core games. I wouldn't pick up Rise of the Tomb Raider since the PS4 version probably will be superior, regardless of what fanboys say. Also if you get Xbox Live before the 15th, grab Horizon 1 off GWG while it's still free.

I'm curious, are you trading in the ps4 or keeping it? I'd recommend keeping it if that is on the table. I can understand that you may be upset with Sony for all the mistakes they've made lately, but when that settles it'll just be about the games, not the brand.

Whatever you decide, hope you have a lot of fun with the games you get. Add me on Live if you want(Suicide Snowman), I'll most likely play Horizon 3 in the near future once I beat ReCore, if you'd like to race that is.

What is a good price on external hard drives? I have a spare internal but no external ones.

Seeing some mixed responses here about the elite controller. Maybe I'll just buy one to try it out and then make a choice whether to keep it or not because it is a hefty price for a controller.

I'm keeping the PS4 for sure. There are still several exclusives I'm anticipating. Who the hell knows when they'll actually release though besides Horizon lol.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Some great deals to be had on Xbox One, welcome to the club!

I would recommend getting the largest size you can. If you get Halo 5 and the MasterChief collection alone they take up 150GB.

I'll recommend non-PS4 games since I'm sure you still have yours:

If you're getting Xbox Live, you can download the original Forza Horizon for free right now through Games with Gold and you'll own it forever. You can get Sunset Overdrive for like 10 bucks and that's a great open world game. A complete edition of Killer Instinct is coming out later this month for only $40. Ori and the Blind Forest is a cheap great buy. Rare Replay is worth it for the N64 games alone- Banjo Kazzoie and Tooie, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini and Conker.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By silversix_

@beavis said:

@hrt_rulz01:

I think the OP (along with many other cows) had a meltdown over the PS4 Pro disaster.

I seen Cows arguing amongst each other. It was entertaining so I grabbed my popcorn.

its not over, you just wait until the console is released and DF does their analysis. I bet you many 4k upscaled games will run poorer on the Pro than the base PS4 model in 1080p. Order some popcorn from Amazon, you'll need a huge bag for later.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts

@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:

Trying to postilion yourself for next year?

TRAITOR!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

I thought you disliked the Xbox? Anyways why not just wait for the more powerful Scorpio? But if not the Scorpio then get the 1tb Xbox One S that seems be what the Xbox One SHOULD have been like. Console looks slick and been tempting to get one but not because I'm waiting for the Scorpio.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: I believe the 4TB My Book I got last year was on sale for $140 at the time, I had best buy rewards certs and ended up paying $92 after tax for it. I'm sure they're even cheaper now. Looks like you can get a 2TB for under $100 these days. Also keep in mind that 500gigs will have 150-200gigs of OS and other crap already installed, you really only get about 300-335gigs of space for games, which will hold about 4-6 games total these days.

Also, once you do buy the Xbox, welcome to club manticore. :)

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NathanDrakeSwag

@brah4ever said:

Why?

PS4 Pro being 50% weaker than Scorpio after Sony touted power as such a huge deal at the start of the gen and now they want to hide the specs of their new console in press reports.

$10 price hike for a service that's not worth a dime. The free games besides Rocket League and 2K16 have sucked hard on PS4.

A general lack of games over the course of 3 years with only 3 real great ones excluding multiplats. Gran Turismo essentially being a dead franchise at this point.

Sony continuing to make choices for me. Like blocking mod support for Fallout 4 on PS4. Telling me EA Access isn't a good value instead of letting me deciding. Not even attempting to make backwards compatibility a possibility because they want to make money on the laughably overpriced PS Now.

It is a lot of things that continue to add up and have gotten really bad the last few weeks.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silversix_

@Heil68 said:
@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:

TRAITOR!

lol its looking grim for Sony. I'm abandoning the sinking ship before its too late!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Heil68

@silversix_ said:
@Heil68 said:
@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:

TRAITOR!

lol its looking grim for Sony. I'm abandoning the sinking ship before its too late!

I'll just go to PC since I'm a verified hardcore PC gamers Then I win everything...awww yeahhhh

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NathanDrakeSwag

@suicidesn0wman said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: I believe the 4TB My Book I got last year was on sale for $140 at the time, I had best buy rewards certs and ended up paying $92 after tax for it. I'm sure they're even cheaper now. Looks like you can get a 2TB for under $100 these days. Also keep in mind that 500gigs will have 150-200gigs of OS and other crap already installed, you really only get about 300-335gigs of space for games, which will hold about 4-6 games total these days.

Also, once you do buy the Xbox, welcome to club manticore. :)

That doesn't sound too bad. Will look around and see what I can find. Thanks for the help bro.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mark1974

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@brah4ever said:

Why?

PS4 Pro being 50% weaker than Scorpio after Sony touted power as such a huge deal at the start of the gen and now they want to hide the specs of their new console in press reports.

$10 price hike for a service that's not worth a dime. The free games besides Rocket League and 2K16 have sucked hard on PS4.

A general lack of games over the course of 3 years with only 3 real great ones excluding multiplats. Gran Turismo essentially being a dead franchise at this point.

Sony continuing to make choices for me. Like blocking mod support for Fallout 4 on PS4. Telling me EA Access isn't a good value instead of letting me deciding. Not even attempting to make backwards compatibility a possibility because they want to make money on the laughably overpriced PS Now.

It is a lot of things that continue to add up and have gotten really bad the last few weeks.

Scorpio does not exist. All the things you list about Sony are crappy but so are the things Microsoft does, not to mention Nintendo. Just play games and quit worrying about which company that owns the hardware is winning. Take your first step into a larger world. Games, not stupid console hardware companies run by people who don't like to play video games. Don't be an unwitting shill for any of these companies for f*ck's sake.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chikenfriedrice

We want proof on Monday, pics or it didn't happen ?

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

Never thought I'd see the day you'd be interested in getting an Xbox One...

I'd say, get the 500 GB with an external hard drive with it. I got the Elite controller as a birthday gift not too long ago, and I love this controller. But if I didn't have a crap load of bills, I would have definitely bought it because it feels so durable and very customizable.

I think some of the users above threw out some good games to get for it, and I mainly play Halo 5 and Gears UE for their great multi-player. If you go through with this, welcome to the Xbox community!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Ahh yes!

Welcome to the Light side, my fellow gamer. The side where the light of God shines upon an ever Green meadow of peaceful harmonious creatures where we are fully connected, fully bonded by our love for each other, our love for video games, by our basic principles and values instilled upon us by Microsoft.

We are truly bonded together as Xbox One! Enjoy! Fellow gamer!

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

Halo 5 is still the best shooter on consoles this generation, so you should get that if you want multiplayer.

I don't know about the differences between the Elite and the regular Xbox One controller, but I do know the original Xbox One controller is the best console controller I've tried so far. It feels more perfect than the 360 controller. Just fits the hands so nicely, and has a good grip about it including the texture on the thumbsticks.

I'm sure the Elite controller is amazing if you get really into multiplayer, but who knows.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#42 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

There is an XBOX forum you know. Perhaps an alt? "MasterChiefSwag"?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Heil68

@mark1974 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@brah4ever said:

Why?

Scorpio does not exist. All the things you list about Sony are crappy but so are the things Microsoft does, not to mention Nintendo. Just play games and quit worrying about which company that owns the hardware is winning. Take your first step into a larger world. Games, not stupid console hardware companies run by people who don't like to play video games. Don't be an unwitting shill for any of these companies for f*ck's sake.

Yea, be an unbiased gamer like me, and you enjoy everything. awww yehahh

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mark1974

@Heil68: Awww yehahh!

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: Get the 1TB XB1 S and then buy a 12TB or 16TB external HDD.. You'll be all set for the entire generation.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Thread of the year

Beavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Beavis

@Cobra_nVidia said:

Perhaps an alt? "MasterChiefSwag"?

Haha yeah good point. That would seem out of place if he becomes a lemming and keeps his name as NathanDrakeSwag.

Though I personally wouldn't wan't "Swag" in my username.

No offense, but that sounds like something a 13 year old kid would make up. Probably because swag is a slang word that mostly teenagers use.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12073 Posts

1tb if it's only $50 more. You can still get an external of you need it. I have heard mixed feelings about the Elite. It's also not Bluetooth enabled like the controllers that come with the S.

Playing Overwatch this weekend and really enjoying it.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NathanDrakeSwag

@kuu2 said:

1tb if it's only $50 more. You can still get an external of you need it. I have heard mixed feelings about the Elite. It's also not Bluetooth enabled like the controllers that come with the S.

Playing Overwatch this weekend and really enjoying it.

Interesting point about the bluetooth. Seems like they will eventually release a revised elite controller with bluetooth and maybe some other improvements.

Overwatch is too good. Play as Lucio and lurk around looking for stragglers near the edge of the map and boop them off. So satisfying.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12073 Posts

And oh, then there is this. https://www.walmart.com/co/Xbox-One-S-Halo-Collection-Bundle-500GB-with-4k-UltraHD-Movie-and-Wireless-Controller/54517974