Phil Spencer Confirms that TR is only a Timed Exclusive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 0

#1 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

Here is an interview done with him later last night and published today:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

So their timed exclusive will fool the kids and their "Ms owns cod because of commercials" crowd, but most won't be fooled. This was a stupid move by ms.. Why they keep trying to force TR on to the xbox crowd who obviously doesnt' care for the series that much (when PS and PC outsell ever TR game over xbox sometimes 2-1 it becomes ridiculous...MS needs to stop trying to force TR to xbox fans and give them another gory gears game or a space marine game as that is what they love.)

If you don't want to follow the link here is the part about the timed exclusive confession:

"When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job," dSpencer told Eurogamer. "My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

"I don't own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can't talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have."

So, what, exactly, is that deal?

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes."

Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?

"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Can you tell us how long the duration is?

"No. It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and them. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#2 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

Is this old news or something? I didn't see any threads on this and I still see people saying it's not confirmed to be timed...yet no here commenting on this? Bizarre. Also hate the way Phil Spencer talks like he "owns" things personally. Why not use the word "We" instead?

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#3 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Yep, I figured it was. Just like Hellblade or No Man's Sky on PS4.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Oh, so just like every other third party MS "exclusive".....

It was funny watching all the stupid people get butthurt over this yesterday though. lol

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#5 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Lol MS and their timed exclusives.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Good to know - now we're all clear the f*ck up is all on S-E.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Xbox: We can't make any good exclusives so we have to buy them...for a little while.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

Is this old news or something? I didn't see any threads on this and I still see people saying it's not confirmed to be timed...yet no here commenting on this? Bizarre. Also hate the way Phil Spencer talks like he "owns" things personally. Why not use the word "We" instead?

It's been pretty widely posted on the dozen+ TR threads already going, but you're right that we had no thread on it.

I think Spencer is to be commended for stepping up and being (pretty much) honest about the deal once the criticism starting coming in. It beats the hell out of Greenberg trying to straight up lie about it.

Moving forward I think this incident marks a turning point of sorts for the major platform owners. Each will look at this and modify either their tactics moving forward, or at least the way they attempt to frame such deals. They'll have to, because this incident will be front and center of every journalist's mind when they hear about a third party "exclusive" from now on. No one is going to get to pretend they have an exclusive anymore without straight out lying, so that's going to affect the value of these deals from the get go. If we're really lucky they realize this isn't worth the money and the headache, and shift resources toward actually making games for their customers.

Once again MS is kind of getting the shaft by taking the public beating while Sony and Nintendo sneak off the stage, but in the end I think all gamers will benefit to some extent.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

So basically all of the bitching, jimmy rustling and butt hurt was all for nothing. Awesome. So eventually the babies will get their Tomb Raider after all.

I noticed most of these same people were ok when they stupidly thought that GTA V was going to be console exclusive but god forbid they get "deprived" of something.

Asshats.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

In other news MGS 5 is coming to PC. Metal Gear Solid V Is Coming To PC

Stupid rules won't let me create a topic on system wars. :(

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

I shall happily buy it. Thank you Kojima San.

Edit:

From the article:

"This is the first time in a very long while that we've ever seen a MGS game launch on computers"

Lol.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Renting AAA titles.... nice. I'm sure Xbros are excited for non-FPSs.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@Legend002 said:

You mean other than the fact Sonys always had more FPS?

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Who really didn't see this coming except maybe delusional Lems?

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@ironcreed said:

Yep, I figured it was. Just like Hellblade or No Man's Sky on PS4.

Can you link me where it says No Man's Sky is timed exclusive.

Or do you mean they're coming to PC? I thought you meant they were timed exclusvie regarding the X1.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

@Gamerno6666 said:

I shall happily buy it. Thank you Kojima San.

Edit:

From the article:

"This is the first time in a very long while that we've ever seen a MGS game launch on computers"

Lol.

Can you make a topic about it? Some cows will be pissed.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

holy shit thats fukin awesome!!! hopefully he releases the hd collection too. i will make a thread on your behalf friend

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

Here is an interview done with him later last night and published today:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

So their timed exclusive will fool the kids and their "Ms owns cod because of commercials" crowd, but most won't be fooled. This was a stupid move by ms.. Why they keep trying to force TR on to the xbox crowd who obviously doesnt' care for the series that much (when PS and PC outsell ever TR game over xbox sometimes 2-1 it becomes ridiculous...MS needs to stop trying to force TR to xbox fans and give them another gory gears game or a space marine game as that is what they love.)

If you don't want to follow the link here is the part about the timed exclusive confession:

"When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job," dSpencer told Eurogamer. "My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

"I don't own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can't talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have."

So, what, exactly, is that deal?

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes."

Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?

"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Can you tell us how long the duration is?

"No. It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and them. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

All exclusive IP's have time periods in which a company must "re-new" it's exclusive rights. If they do not re-new then the IP can be used else where.. this is common practice in a lot of day to day business outside of video games. I work in an industry that is closely related to the video game industry, to be a little more specific, in the finance department of a pretty large marking publisher. We have to be careful when doing the marketing for any products and exclusive rights is 90% of the reason. I see this every single day and you cows need to simmer down.

All he said was that yes there is a time restraint on this deal, if they want they can re-new said deal and continue Tomb Raider being exclusive to xbox. This does not mean it's for sure coming out on PS4.. That also means it could still come out for PS4. I guaranteed only Tier 1 launch of the game a Tier 2 launch are exclusive. Typical of these kind of deals.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Everybody except the hardcore lems already knew this.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@TigerSuperman said:

@Legend002 said:

You mean other than the fact Sonys always had more FPS?

Come on. It's a known fact that the Xbox brand is a FPS utopia.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

That's cool!

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Just as expected then.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

I think this was understood. Doesn't mean it will go to ps4 necessarily either. If it does it may be in 2016, 2017 or whenever at which point would it matter?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

There have been at least four different threads on this subject posted already, all locked because we already have one mega Tomb Raider exclusivity thread, where all this discussion has been redirected to. This thread is also being locked, feel free to take the discussion to the already existing thread, though.