SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45115 Posts

One thing I always hated about Skyrim and the Fallout games was the inventory system. Who likes going through a million items and trying to figure out what you want to have equipped? I guess that extends to other RPGs as well. Definitely a pet peeve of mine!

What about you, SW? Pet peeves from your favorite games/genres?

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

Physical copies of games that don't contain the full game and require a download. I think the Megaman collection on Switch came with a cartridge that had 1-4 on it, and a download code for 5-8. So pointless and frustrating.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic  Online

@Miyomatic said:

Physical copies of games that don't contain the full game and require a download. I think the Megaman collection on Switch came with a cartridge that had 1-4 on it, and a download code for 5-8. So pointless and frustrating.

Oh man, that is a big one for me. Glad you brought that up. Just got a few games on Switch where everything was on cart and I loved that. Always hate when they screw people over with the codes. They did that with Final Fantasy 7 Intergrade. Instead of putting the DLC on disc, they gave a code.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17809 Posts

Grinding/repeating content in RPGs or looter shooters. That shit is such a fucking chore. I usually drop games once I have reached endgame as I don't really care about the loot unless there is compelling content to go with it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

Alyx influenced by Resident Evil but no NG+, just developer commentary which don't give a shit about. Valve being indulgent thinking it's their "thing", when they weren't even the first to use it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50559 Posts

I hate cap on items or item weight systems

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

@BassMan said:

Grinding/repeating content in RPGs or looter shooters. That shit is such a fucking chore. I usually drop games once I have reached endgame as I don't really care about the loot unless there is compelling content to go with it.

Looter shooters in general, I hate unlocking 300 kinds of the same gun.

Half Life 1 has 8 guns and they all feel distinct, enjoyable and memorable.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

No endgame/barebones endgame in any and all coop based rpg's. I am so sick and tired of the developers not creating a massive endgame for those that are invested into their game. So damn sick n tired of it. Gen after gen, nothing is improving.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

When there's two load screens sandwiched between small transitional corridors to main areas. When you go through a load screen to an area and another load screen immediately to the left or right of the load screen you just came out of if you decided to just cut through an area without intention to stay there.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I love 4X strategy games but most have issues with mid or late game. At a certain point many just become a race to see who can snowball the fastest. Stellaris handles it the best by having mid and late game events that completely overturn the galaxy through event chains and crisis events. However, games like Humankind and Civ 6 aren't worth playing once you reach a certain era. You can simply run away at certain points in the game, or in the event of playing tall, just pointlessly click next turn while you research the next tech.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidGame_basic  Online

Another one - when the game asks if you want to lower the difficulty after two tries lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Another one - when the game asks if you want to lower the difficulty after two tries lol.

Stop playing Ubisoft games.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic  Online

@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Stop playing Ubisoft games.

I'm proud to say that Ubisoft games make up a small minority of my library lol.

LEGEND_C4A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LEGEND_C4A
Member since 2003 • 3186 Posts

3 player co-op man! and I know I'm asking a lot, but I wan't co-op games for more than 4 people.... I know crazy but whatever!

You have games like Division, Destiny that give you raids with 4+ players......give me a whole game like that :(

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@BassMan said:

Looter shooters in general, I hate unlocking 300 kinds of the same gun.

Half Life 1 has 8 guns and they all feel distinct, enjoyable and memorable.

Very true.

Even something like Quake, which has, the most generic weapons humanly possibly, they all serve a purpose in conjunction with enemy and level design.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#16 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17809 Posts

Heroes and their silly abilities in FPS games. Ruined Battlefield and Rainbow Six.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58311 Posts
  • Cinematics in general, but anything that takes the control away from you at odd moments to allow for some lengthy dialogue and then hands it back. Doubly-so if the cinematic takes you out of the game's perspective, i.e. if it is a first-person shooter and decides to go all floaty camera third person. Half-Life has been around for literally decades and we still can't match it's cinematic and immersive mechanics? C'mon people...
  • Excessive inventory management and/or restrictions. You want to limit me to two weapons and a sidearm? Fine, I can live with that. But don't make me play Tetris and force me to worry about a weight limit; if there's a ton of good loot on the ground, let me take it.
  • This new "bubble gum punk" art direction you see in a lot of games and with a lot of villains. You see it in Far Cry New Dawn and Rage 2 and a lot of other games of late. Punk is like some sort of affectation they give to villains to make them likeable by little kids or something. I don't know, I just don't like it....future dystopias are not going to be like the Indian holiday of Holi but with rusted-out cars or cannibals you know?
  • Enemy health bars in shooters. Totally unnecessary. If the guys armored, then fine....he takes more bullets. If he has no helmet, then a headshot should kill him. If he is fast, he probably has little armor. You don't need to reinvent the wheel with shooters and this is not the way to do it in either case. Just let us use common sense and observational skills with our enemies, we don't need a health bar to be like "Oh, whoops, guess those first two bullets didn't do the job better shoot him again".
  • Looter shooters in general. I love me a good Diablo clone but the reason those games are fun is because I am slaughtering my way through thousand of enemies and being rewarded with a nice piece of loot at the end of it. Looter shooters get that mechanic backwards; they have you going through a few enemies and getting "rewarded" (with crap) the whole time. Very few games have this mechanic down in my opinion; The Division 2 came close because the gameplay was fun and they didn't swarm you with useless crap.
onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5251 Posts

The playable characters saying the same lines over and over again when they battle in Xenoblade Chronicles. It gets really annoying to where I just turn off the character voices.

Why most of the villains in Xenoblade Chronicles speak with a working-class English accent? Is that outright classist?

Limitations on climbing when raining in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

The Master Sword unable to be used after frequent use and I have to wait ten minutes before it can be used again. Other weapons break after frequent use, even weapons made with iron.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

Use of Ubisoft Towers and enemy checkpoint in almost every modern open world game from Batman Arkham, Zelda BoTW, Horizon Zero Dawn to the upcoming Elden Ring. Somehow everyone give those outdated mechanics a pass in those games but not in ubisoft titles itself. There is not much difference in all these titles, basically playing an ubisoft game reskinned whenever I liberate one of those towers to reveal map.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

The Witcher 3 was too good

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@Miyomatic said:

Agreed, but they do this crap even with digital. Halo Anniversary Edition on Steam for one….thing DLs….something?…..then to play CE, another few gigs is required. Ridiculous.

———————

One of my main pet peeves is general open-world design, mainly those of R*’s games. For as amazing as GTA and RDR’s worlds are, we’re still playing the same old tired restrictive, hand-holdy mission design that began with GTA III from twenty years ago.

A shame considering how much attention to detail is accorded to the world.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23916 Posts

Keybinds in RTS often make/made no sense.

Netcode in fighting games.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic  Online
@sakaixx said:

Use of Ubisoft Towers and enemy checkpoint in almost every modern open world game from Batman Arkham, Zelda BoTW, Horizon Zero Dawn to the upcoming Elden Ring. Somehow everyone give those outdated mechanics a pass in those games but not in ubisoft titles itself. There is not much difference in all these titles, basically playing an ubisoft game reskinned whenever I liberate one of those towers to reveal map.

Dang, didn't know that about Elden Ring. This whole 'open world' Souls game is something I learned about recently. Not sure how I feel about it. Seems kind of out of place for a Souls game.

@onesiphorus said:

The playable characters saying the same lines over and over again when they battle in Xenoblade Chronicles. It gets really annoying to where I just turn off the character voices.

Why most of the villains in Xenoblade Chronicles speak with a working-class English accent? Is that outright classist?

Omg, the repeating lines was an issue in Persona 5 too. That was so bad. I hope they put more effort in the next one. The English speaking villain seems to happen a lot in games lol. Earliest I can remember is MGS.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

The proliferation of dlc/event advertisements in game menus. I recently bought Dying Light and while the gameplay has been satisfying, wading through dlc ads, events, and demands to turn on co-op every time I load up the game is really annoying. I get it already.

Another is ultra-linear platforming, which I presume was made popular by movie games like Uncharted. I tried playing Shadow of Tomb Raider a while back and had to drop it over all the frustratingly specific paths you had to take; for example during the flood several building have ledges that look like you could climb up on roofs with but nope, you have to go a different very specific ledge 10 feet over do that the player see a dramatic set piece cutscene. At that point just do QTEs if you’re going yo fake player choice like that.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3226 Posts

Repetitive side missions in games. Looking at you Halo Infinite.