PC gaming clearly doesnt matter anymore

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for xnacommunityxna
xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xnacommunityxna
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts

to developers, modern gamers, and dare i say it the casuals. PC gaming just doesn't seem to matter anymore.

allow me to explain, for the developers you can tell that they see where the real money is coming in and are primarily developing for consoles, its been happening for a while now right? But in light of the big Call Of Duty fiasco(a series that started on PC) it seems like Devs are just completely ignoring their PC gaming fans recently... and thats very bad news... lame ports(GTAIV) and lost exclusives(Crysis 2, pretty much the entire battlefield franchise) are all contributing to the fact that devs clearly dont care about PC gaming.

modern gamers (im talking children ages 8 - 13) clearly just dont care, when i call this demographic "modern gamers" i mean the gamers of tomorrow when i was in this age group (im 16 now) i was all about PC gaming, why? because there was worthwhile exclusives(like call of duty, starcraft, command and conquer red alert to name my favorites)

and now for the casuals (who probably never cared in the first place) but i do want to use an example here my dad (who got me into PC gaming) started out as a casual, he didnt grow up with computers so it was all new for him when he started, he was a casual PC gamer.... something that by todays standards means you play cheesy flash games... but back in the 90's before popcap, facebook, and all those other flash sites it meant you played sim city, and starcraft i just think that the term "casual PC gamer" has changed for the worse.....

and now let me state my final point... as long as there are computers there will be computer games, thats a fact, this isnt a "DEATH OF PC GAMING" thread, this is a "OMG look what has happend to PC gaming right before my eyes"..... thread :P so thanks for reading, please leave a comment about what you think

t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

There are more exclusive this gen for the PC than all the consoles.

Games are going multiplat.

Big whoop.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

Yet you don't talk about multiplats coming from the consoles to the PC :?

There have been more gaming PC's sold since the release of the 360 than all consoles combined and it's the most profitable platform.

I don't understand where you're going with this.

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xnacommunityxna

There have been more gaming PC's sold since the release of the 360 than all consoles combined and it's the most profitable platform.

lundy86_4

im just looking at PC gaming today compared to lets say the 90's....

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
No, the only thing it proves is that you can give a straight console port to PC gamers and make almost as much money as you would catering to them.
xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xnacommunityxna

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

xnacommunityxna

better yet the last 3 years

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

xnacommunityxna

It's bigger (in the literal sense) and more profitable pretty much.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

Majority of games are multiplatform with few exclusives, it isn't just happening to PC.

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xnacommunityxna

Majority of games are multiplatform with few exclusives, it isn't just happening to PC.

spinecaton

but PC multiplats seem like MAJOR afterthoughts either releasing months later or as inferior ports

chessik101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chessik101
Member since 2009 • 43 Posts

never cared for pc gaming.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 spinecaton

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

xnacommunityxna

but PC multiplats seem like MAJOR afterthoughts either releasing months later or as inferior ports

I am sorry, remind me what Dragon Age scored?

beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 beachbob1
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts

Well Dragon Age should be a good test? Its is better on the PC in alot of ways over any console version. The question is will it sell better on the PC than the consoles? If not I fear the future may look bleak.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lundy86_4  Online

Well Dragon Age should be a good test? Its is better on the PC in alot of ways over any console version. The question is will it sell better on the PC than the consoles? If not I fear the future may look bleak.

beachbob1

It's doubtful we'll find out solid numbers. It was released through Steam, and we pretty much never see solid numbers released on sales through DD.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 spinecaton

[QUOTE="beachbob1"]

lundy86_4

It's doubtful we'll find out solid numbers. It was released through Steam, and we pretty much never see solid numbers released on sales through DD.

Pretty much have to wait see what Bioware says.

TREY_FOR_LI4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TREY_FOR_LI4E
Member since 2009 • 714 Posts

Like that one developer said a while back, PC-only sales can't justify AAA budgets.

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xnacommunityxna

[QUOTE="xnacommunityxna"]

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

spinecaton

a 9.5, but back in lets say 2000 a game similar to dragon age is released what platform(s) is it released on? this is a hypothetical question please answer it

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
modern games = children playing with their controllers screaming through their mics? oh thank god, the pc can def do without those. GTA4 port = pc gaming not being important? i cant be that rockstar lacks the capability making a good port :roll: and crysis actually made a profit from what EA stated, the developers decided to go multiplatform because they wanted to. developers do not care about pc gaming? thats why the majority of games have modding tools that the developers themselves release. and oh lord, a console owner bashing pc, how original :roll:
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="beachbob1"]

spinecaton

Pretty much have to wait see what Bioware says.

Exactly. I hope they release a solid number though, and not one of these "much better than expected" deals.

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

xnacommunityxna

in the 90s, there were many quality pc exclusive titles yes, but this isn't the age of exclusives anymore, unless it's a first party bought or something.

but World of WarCraft and the sims did not exist in the 90s, if anymore pc gaming is more mainstream today than it once did.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#20 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

Which is why we use our PC's to play total war games, CS, quake and battlefield, starcraft and diablo. If there was an option to get a mutli-plat, more often than not I would get it on my 360, save borderlands, or a game i know will be drastically better on the PC. Is that really such a bad thing?
beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 beachbob1
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts

Like that one developer said a while back, PC-only sales can't justify AAA budgets.

TREY_FOR_LI4E

Wow say's HI!

Total War series.

TREY_FOR_LI4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TREY_FOR_LI4E

[QUOTE="TREY_FOR_LI4E"]

beachbob1

Wow say's HI!

Total War series.

WoW is an anomaly.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="beachbob1"]

[QUOTE="TREY_FOR_LI4E"]

TREY_FOR_LI4E

Wow say's HI!

Total War series.

WoW is an anomaly.

So? It still exists. Also, remember that PC has gone very much into DD in NA where sales figures are rarely released.

TREY_FOR_LI4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TREY_FOR_LI4E

So? It still exists. Also, remember that PC has gone very much into DD in NA where sales figures are rarely released.

lundy86_4

Of course it exists. That's what anomalies do. An exception to the rule doesn't invalidate the rule.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

If PC gaming is in trouble then why does PC have a better exclusive to cross platform ratio than consoles? Why does it maintain its high quality exclusivity lead in the GameSpot reviews? Why do consoles have to pay out millions to keep hold of exclusives while developers choose to develop for PC without any financial incentives?

Honestly, consolites need to look in the mirror before they start pointing fingers. PS3 and 360 would have next to nothing to differentiate themselves if it wasn't for their 1st party throwing checks around, they would be nothing more than cross platform dumping grounds that may be lucky enough to have a handful of games to call their own.

Console users perception of their platforms position within the market is entirely artificial, from their exclusive lineup to their marketing manufactured image. Most of it is there because it was in the interests of someone else to pay to make it there, leaving their audience ignorant to the realities of the market. PC gaming at least can say what you see is what you get, flaws and all.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

TREY_FOR_LI4E

Of course it exists. That's what anomalies do. An exception to the rule doesn't invalidate the rule.

I didn't say it does. However you just can't state it as an anomoly and that's it, it's still there.

Also, like I said about the DD sales. It's hard to put a total figure on PC game sales.

TREY_FOR_LI4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TREY_FOR_LI4E

[QUOTE="TREY_FOR_LI4E"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

I didn't say it does. However you just can't state it as an anomoly and that's it, it's still there.

Also, like I said about the DD sales. It's hard to put a total figure on PC game sales.

It's an anomaly because the vast majority of PC games couldn't survive if they had a budget the size of WoW's budget if they relied on PC sales alone.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="TREY_FOR_LI4E"]

TREY_FOR_LI4E

It's an anomaly because the vast majority of PC games couldn't survive if they had a budget the size of WoW's budget if they relied on PC sales alone.

Based on what? Do you have evidence of that? Like I said, we cannot account for total sales because DD numbers are rarely released.

TREY_FOR_LI4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TREY_FOR_LI4E

Based on what? Do you have evidence of that?

lundy86_4

Yup, the developer that I mentioned who said PC-only sales can't justify AAA budgets. Since I think a PC developer's word is more credible than yours on this matter, that's enough evidence for me to believe the developer and not you.

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xnacommunityxna

modern games = children playing with their controllers screaming through their mics? oh thank god, the pc can def do without those. GTA4 port = pc gaming not being important? i cant be that rockstar lacks the capability making a good port :roll: and crysis actually made a profit from what EA stated, the developers decided to go multiplatform because they wanted to MAKE A PROFIT. developers do not care about pc gaming? thats why the majority of games have modding tools that the developers themselves release. and oh lord, a console owner bashing pc, how original :roll:Dante2710

well i can tell you didnt read my post *sigh* first off you contradicted yourself if developers cared about PC wouldnt rockstar strive to make the best game possible? If crsis made such a huge profit then why is crysis 2 a multiplat? modding tools are used by the community, and are incredibly easy and cheap to make... and yes i am a console owner but im also a hardcore PC gamer who misses the glory days... what are you a "modern gamer" :lol: oh but youd have to read my post to understand that joke :roll: BTW i fixed your post

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Based on what? Do you have evidence of that?

TREY_FOR_LI4E

Yup, the developer that I mentioned who said PC-only sales can't justify AAA budgets. Since I think a PC developer's word is more credible than yours on this matter, that's enough evidence for me to believe the developer and not you.

Nice proof :roll:

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]modern games = children playing with their controllers screaming through their mics? oh thank god, the pc can def do without those. GTA4 port = pc gaming not being important? i cant be that rockstar lacks the capability making a good port :roll: and crysis actually made a profit from what EA stated, the developers decided to go multiplatform because they wanted to MAKE A PROFIT. developers do not care about pc gaming? thats why the majority of games have modding tools that the developers themselves release. and oh lord, a console owner bashing pc, how original :roll:xnacommunityxna

well i can tell you didnt read my post *sigh* first off you contradicted yourself if developers cared about PC wouldnt rockstar strive to make the best game possible? If crsis made such a huge profit then why is crysis 2 a multiplat? modding tools are used by the community, and are incredibly easy and cheap to make... and yes i am a console owner but im also a hardcore PC gamer who misses the glory days... what are you a "modern gamer" :lol: oh but youd have to read my post to understand that joke :roll: BTW i fixed your post

how childish, putting something in post, and fyi, im prob older than you :) so try again, and releasing a late port? you would think they would put any effort and add something worth while? but no they didnt, for them it was a quick cash in as you can tell based on how horrible optimized the game is :| and why is crysis going multiplatform? because its EA
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

TREY_FOR_LI4E

Consolites loved that thread, too bad their joy didn't last long when an inconvenient truth was pointed out.

Based on the games released on consoles; they cannot justify a AAA budget either. Fact is no single platform can justify a blockbuster budget these days, games with those budgets go cross platform. Console companies know this, which is why the majority of AAA high budget exclusives on consoles were funded directly by the 1st party.

There are always exceptions, but that applies to all platforms.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 spinecaton

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

xnacommunityxna

a 9.5, but back in lets say 2000 a game similar to dragon age is released what platform(s) is it released on? this is a hypothetical question please answer it

Like Baulder's Gate? Had the main series on PC and a version on consoles too, but that wasn't what you point is that I quoted. You are just trying to change things to fit your argument. The console and PC fanbase were not the same thing back in that time, everything is more accessible now to everyone so you can't really compare it to the situation it is today.

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xnacommunityxna

*speaking through megaphone*

I AM FOR PC GAMING

I AM A PC GAMER

I AM NOT BASHING PC

PLEASE READ MY GOD DAHM POST

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lundy86_4  Online

I AM FOR PC GAMING

I AM A PC GAMER

I AM NOT BASHING PC

xnacommunityxna

We read it. We disagreed. Where's the problem?

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xnacommunityxna

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

spinecaton

Like Baulder's Gate? Had the main series on PC and a version on consoles too, but that wasn't what you point is that I quoted. You are just trying to change things to fit your argument. The console and PC fanbase were not the same thing back in that time, everything is more accessible now to everyone so you can't really compare it to the situation it is today.

that IS my point....

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xnacommunityxna

I AM FOR PC GAMING

I AM A PC GAMER

I AM NOT BASHING PC

lundy86_4

some of these comments make me think otherwise

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

recession, multi-million dollar budgets

Companies have to release multiplatform games otherwise they will go bankrupt.

But the PC still hast he most AAA, AA, and A this gen so it's no biggie, and getting the better versions of multiplats is also a plus.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 spinecaton

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

xnacommunityxna

that IS my point....

Okay so stop living in the past and dwelling on it, things change get over it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

I AM FOR PC GAMING

I AM A PC GAMER

I AM NOT BASHING PC

xnacommunityxna

Makes you think we didn't disagree?

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xnacommunityxna

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]modern games = children playing with their controllers screaming through their mics? oh thank god, the pc can def do without those. GTA4 port = pc gaming not being important? i cant be that rockstar lacks the capability making a good port :roll: and crysis actually made a profit from what EA stated, the developers decided to go multiplatform because they wanted to MAKE A PROFIT. developers do not care about pc gaming? thats why the majority of games have modding tools that the developers themselves release. and oh lord, a console owner bashing pc, how original :roll:Dante2710

how childish, putting something in post, and fyi, im prob older than you :) so try again, and releasing a late port? you would think they would put any effort and add something worth while? but no they didnt, for them it was a quick cash in as you can tell based on how horrible optimized the game is :| and why is crysis going multiplatform? because its EA

.....ok i wont edit this one, ill just highlight where you completely screwed yourself over buddy... and heres somthing you can try READING MY POST

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xnacommunityxna

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

read the post where dante2701 says that " im prob older than you" for proof

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

xnacommunityxna

Proof of what? You're getting confused.

I stand by my disagreeing with pretty much everything you said.

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xnacommunityxna

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

spinecaton

that IS my point....

Okay so stop living in the past and dwelling on it, things change get over it.

*facepalm*

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xnacommunityxna

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

proof that nobody read my post... (well except you perhaps) and thats fine to disagree with me... i dont know why were arguing, i you and i are on a different page :P

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

xnacommunityxna

proof that nobody read my post... (well except you perhaps) and thats fine to disagree with me... i dont know why were arguing, i you and i are on a different page :P

I'm not arguing at all :D I just debate more than anything.

I understand where you are coming from, but i'm inclined to disagree, it's just from what i see of the industry compared to what it was.

Avatar image for SLIisaownsystem
SLIisaownsystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SLIisaownsystem
Member since 2009 • 964 Posts

to developers, modern gamers, and dare i say it the casuals. PC gaming just doesn't seem to matter anymore.

allow me to explain, for the developers you can tell that they see where the real money is coming in and are primarily developing for consoles, its been happening for a while now right? But in light of the big Call Of Duty fiasco(a series that started on PC) it seems like Devs are just completely ignoring their PC gaming fans recently... and thats very bad news... lame ports(GTAIV) and lost exclusives(Crysis 2, pretty much the entire battlefield franchise) are all contributing to the fact that devs clearly dont care about PC gaming.

modern gamers (im talking children ages 8 - 13) clearly just dont care, when i call this demographic "modern gamers" i mean the gamers of tomorrow when i was in this age group (im 16 now) i was all about PC gaming, why? because there was worthwhile exclusives(like call of duty, starcraft, command and conquer red alert to name my favorites)

and now for the casuals (who probably never cared in the first place) but i do want to use an example here my dad (who got me into PC gaming) started out as a casual, he didnt grow up with computers so it was all new for him when he started, he was a casual PC gamer.... something that by todays standards means you play cheesy flash games... but back in the 90's before popcap, facebook, and all those other flash sites it meant you played sim city, and starcraft i just think that the term "casual PC gamer" has changed for the worse.....

and now let me state my final point... as long as there are computers there will be computer games, thats a fact, this isnt a "DEATH OF PC GAMING" thread, this is a "OMG look what has happend to PC gaming right before my eyes"..... thread :P so thanks for reading, please leave a comment about what you think

xnacommunityxna

look what the whole industry turns into. Is Xbox360 so much different to the PS3? And look at the Wii and say me its serious gaming. The future is multiplatform and of course the best versions has the PC.

xnacommunityxna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xnacommunityxna

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

I'm not arguing at all :D I just debate more than anything.

I understand where you are coming from, but i'm inclined to disagree, it's just from what i see of the industry compared to what it was.

yea debating is a better word lol, but from where i see it the industry is worse off than it was a while back (from a PC gaming stand point), thats my point... It just seemed like nobody read my post claiming i was a "consoleite" or whatever that person said... but did you see how dante walked right into a lie like that HE didnt read my post and i caught him:P