PC, better or worse than consoles?

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Oozyrat
Member since 2008 • 926 Posts

(First, I want to mention I play on an Asus laptop for PC games and play console games mostly on the Xbox 360)

It's clear PC's can run games better than consoles. On every comparison you have PC fans saying, "Consoles suck. Anyone can buy a PC for $2,000 and you can run things for a about 2 years on High settings and then 3-4 years of Low-Medium settings." If this is the case, then you'll need to buy a better graphics card in about 4 years, which is slightly less than an average console cycle (most likely about half as long from now on). So technically if you want Medium-High settings, you'll need to dish out about $400 every 3 1/2 years, making PC's more expensive. I don't understand the arguement against consoles when PC fans say this because their arguements are clearly invalid. To run games better than a console, you'll need to pay more than a whole new console even faster than a whole generation cycle. If you don't get a new graphics card in about 2 years and run it on Medium settings, then the advantage to having a PC for the graphics and frame rates fades away. I just don't see the point in paying that much for slightly better graphics. But here are some PC comparisons to consoles:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9ivkuf5iHzM/UDnDGL0-fQI/AAAAAAAAAXU/7OxsESXO2gU/s1600/comapreeee.jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/tv/3/9/8/4/3/screengrab_480.jpg

YoRoOvr.jpg Just kidding razz.gif

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/QVfkbd2orQ0/0.jpg

But seriously, is it really worth paying more for slightly better graphics? I will say this in defense of PC's: Minecraft and Fallout 3 and New Vegas run MUCH better on a PC. I know laptops are often frowned upon in the PC community, however even on my not so powerful Asus, these games blow the 360 away. Hair and eye mods on Fallout change the entire game. Also PC has Steam (for the people who haven't experienced it yet, it truely does live up to its reputation. The sales are simply increadible.) Consoles also have many exclusives while PC games usuallty get ported to consoles later on. So what do you think?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Worth it for me, not just for graphics but overall performance

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Upgrading every two years is not necessary.
Manservice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Manservice
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts
 . Lol @ using low-res screenshots.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib

. Lol @ using low-res screenshots.Manservice

you really only need to look at the tomb raider one anyways, it gets the point across

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Dude, my PC which has a 580 can still run everything on max. TC is wrong.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lostrib

Dude, my PC which has a 580 can still run everything on max. TC is wrong. clyde46

must be time for a $2000 upgrade

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Dude, my PC which has a 580 can still run everything on max. TC is wrong. lostrib

Good thing I have a job.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It's worth it to me. 

The differences are greater in person. Online you don't really notice it as much. 

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
The PC is much better, and would be worth it for the exclusives alone.
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

Worth it for me, not just for graphics but overall performance

lostrib

This. Graphics being much better on PC is nice and all, but the real draw is the performance, mods, and mouse/keyboard controls.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

tl;dr

its worth it, can you browse the web effectivley on console, while multi tasking a million other programs? 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Dude, my PC which has a 580 can still run everything on max. TC is wrong. clyde46

Good thing I have a job.

Probably getting by paycheck to paycheck to afford upgrading every year and replacing all those parts that don't have warrantees

Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Oozyrat

It's worth it to me. 

The differences are greater in person. Online you don't really notice it as much. 

gameofthering

Yeah I noticed that with Fallout. I just see that more recent games are looking closer and closer to high end PC's, and while the PC is still better in many ways, I think the gap is closing much faster than expected.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Liquid_

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Good thing I have a job.

Probably getting by paycheck to paycheck to afford upgrading every year and replacing all those parts that don't have warrantees

most computer parts come with a 3+ year warranty, you must be slow
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

I have some friends that are still using 8800 gt's and they plan on upgrading towards 700 series nvidua gpus soon as they're out.  So by then, it's taken them 8 years before they upgraded, making your horrible thread invalid.

Not to mention games on pc are much cheaper, with crazy pc games sales all over the place at almost all times.  You spend alot more money on console gaming, especially if you build a decent rig with a budget.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Good thing I have a job. Liquid_

yes...I'm the slow one

danygo1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danygo1996
Member since 2009 • 377 Posts

Dude, my PC which has a 580 can still run everything on max. TC is wrong. clyde46

570.. same here, all max. bf3 still sucking on  it

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

PC is much better, beyond the graphics/performance thing we have mods which literally as a point of it's own blows away consoles.

Also, I haven't upgraded in 3 years and still play everything on max...or in the rare game that really taxes my system at almost max (which is still well above anything a console can push). I also NEVER have spent $2000 on a PC. Everytime I upgrade it's basically a forklift upgrade, and rarely costs me over $800.

I still like consoles though, and have owned at least one every generation since the original NES.  Just compared to a PC?  Well, there's no comparision ;)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

It's worth it to me. 

Oozyrat

Yeah I noticed that with Fallout. I just see that more recent games are looking closer and closer to high end PC's, and while the PC is still better in many ways, I think the gap is closing much faster than expected.

You gotta look at more than just graphics

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

pros and cons to everything...

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Do I consider it worth it? Yes, and not just for the vastly better graphics. First off, there seems to be a more demanding PC audience, thus we get good ports that allow you to customize the game as much as you want. For instance, in a lot of games like Dishonored or Far Cry 3, the PC version includes the ability to turn off various parts of the HUD. You can also adjust the FOV and various other aspects of the game. 

In addition, I just happen to really love a lot of PC exclusives, although I should make it clear that I despise the notion of platform exclusivity. If that exclusivity is grounded on a solid principle (like the game just not controlling well with a controller), then that's ok, or if the developer simply cannot afford to port the game to consoles due to financial or technical reasons. But exclusivity for the sake of exclusivity annoys me to no end. Everybody should have the ability to experience great games. 

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Liquid_

[QUOTE="Liquid_"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

yes...I'm the slow one

not my fault you can't afford anything better than a pentium 4
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
"PC Games usually get ported to consoles" wut? only about the same rate as vice versa. If that is the case why has PC got the most exclusives than all consoles combined? Mods, games, graphics.... why make a thread focusing on multiplats? Most of the games I play "Religisoulsy " Guild Wars 2, DoTA 2, Team Fortress 2, MechWarriors online ect are exclusive to the platform. So again, whats the point in asking us "is paying to upgrade for slightly better multiplats?" when that is not the only difference?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Liquid_"] most computer parts come with a 3+ year warranty, you must be slowLiquid_

yes...I'm the slow one

Ah, this is the trolling I've heard so much about? yes?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clyde46
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Liquid_"] most computer parts come with a 3+ year warranty, you must be slowLiquid_

yes...I'm the slow one

Carry on son.
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

Consoles also have many exclusives while PC games usuallty get ported to consoles later on. So what do you think?

Oozyrat

I barely noticed this.  Now I know you either must be trolling, or are extremely pro console bias.

You do realize pc has more exclusives than all the consoles combined right?

GTFO

Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Oozyrat

[QUOTE="Manservice"] . Lol @ using low-res screenshots.lostrib

you really only need to look at the tomb raider one anyways, it gets the point across

Lol at the pic

But yeah the Tomb Raider image really shows the difference, but is hair and shadows really going to make the enjoyment go that much higher? And yeah I think the use of high res images was pretty irrelevent, they all show the differences and I wasn't going to waste my time with images that would barely get my point across better. Smaller, low res images, work better on forums anyways imo.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Manservice"] . Lol @ using low-res screenshots.Oozyrat

Lol at the pic

But yeah the Tomb Raider image really shows the difference, but is hair and shadows really going to make the enjoyment go that much higher? And yeah I think the use of high res images was pretty irrelevent, they all show the differences and I wasn't going to waste my time with images that would barely get my point across better. Smaller, low res images, work better on forums anyways imo.

actually they would help because you could also see that the PC pics are at a higher resolution than the console ones.  You can resize the pics for the forum and then people right click to view the full image.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clyde46

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Manservice"] . Lol @ using low-res screenshots.Oozyrat

Lol at the pic

Your pic is in a tiny resolution.
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Butthurt unsecure consolites make another thread to justify their immensely inferior gaming :lol: Seriously, have a bit of dignity.

Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Oozyrat

[QUOTE="Oozyrat"]

Consoles also have many exclusives while PC games usuallty get ported to consoles later on. So what do you think?

Rage010101

I barely noticed this.  Now I know you either must be trolling, or are extremely pro console bias.

GTFO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_%28seventh_generation%29

That shows just how many games are exclusive to PS3 and 360. Not to mention I researched PC exclusives and almost all were RTS's. Also, PC exclusive lists were limited to usually 50 titles. The most note worthy games are Starcraft, Team Fortress 2, Half Life, and Sims 3. If you want to count unheard of Indie games and RTS's, then you might get the amount of exclusives you said, but major titles are lacking on the PC. I'm definitely not console bias, but when it comes to exclusives, I will admit I prefer almost all of the console exclusives when compared to PC exclusives. Despite this though, I prefer to play RPG's and platformers on PC. Saying that I'm bias is by far incorrect, and doesn't get a point across at all.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

The PC is much better, and would be worth it for the exclusives alone.PurpleMan5000

This.  People forget that PC has some pretty amazing exclussives that will never come to consoles.  

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PurpleMan5000
Why would you discount RTS games? Sure, TBS are better, but strategy games are the best games.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="Oozyrat"]

Oozyrat

GTFO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_%28seventh_generation%29

That shows just how many games are exclusive to PS3 and 360. Not to mention I researched PC exclusives and almost all were RTS's. Also, PC exclusive lists were limited to usually 50 titles. The most note worthy games are Starcraft, Team Fortress 2, Half Life, and Sims 3. If you want to count unheard of Indie games and RTS's, then you might get the amount of exclusives you said, but major titles are lacking on the PC. I'm definitely not console bias, but when it comes to exclusives, I will admit I prefer almost all of the console exclusives when compared to PC exclusives. Despite this though, I prefer to play RPG's and platformers on PC. Saying that I'm bias is by far incorrect, and doesn't get a point across at all.

you cant just disqualify certain genres becase you don't consider them "major" titles. We don't just count major titles, which I assume you mean big budget games

Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Oozyrat

[QUOTE="Oozyrat"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Lol at the pic

actually they would help because you could also see that the PC pics are at a higher resolution than the console ones.  You can resize the pics for the forum and then people right click to view the full image.

Like I said, you can see the difference without high res images. My point was made clear enough in the images I posted, and they weren't even nessessary. I mentioned at the very beginning of the post that it is common knowledge that PC's run games better. The argument isn't about how much better they run games, the argument is if it is worth putting more money out for that difference. The images were soley there to add some color and examples to a forum for presentation and enjoyment, not to become a main point in the forum.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Oozyrat"]

Lol at the pic

Oozyrat

Like I said, you can see the difference without high res images. My point was made clear enough in the images I posted, and they weren't even nessessary. I mentioned at the very beginning of the post that it is common knowledge that PC's run games better. The argument isn't about how much better they run games, the argument is if it is worth putting more money out for that difference. The images were soley there to add some color and examples to a forum for presentation and enjoyment, not to become a main point in the forum.

For me,yes it is worth the cost

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PurpleMan5000
It wouldn't even take $1000 to achieve the difference. I wouldn't purchase a PC right now, if that is what you are getting at, because it usually is pretty expensive to top a next gen console at release, but by this time next year, it should be easy to upgrade my PC to be more powerful than the PS4, and it will most likely cost me less than the cost of going out and purchasing a PS4, too. This PC will always be more powerful than the PS4. It won't max games out over the entire course of the PS4's lifespan, but it will always run them better than the consoles.
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jhonMalcovich

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="Oozyrat"]

Oozyrat

GTFO

Starcraft, Team Fortress 2, Half Life, and Sims 3.

Hmmmm. Only 4 games ? No Total War, Civilization, point and click adventures, horror games like Amnesia, wrpgs, indie games? No ? Nothing comes to mind at all ?

Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Oozyrat

[QUOTE="Oozyrat"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

GTFO

lostrib

you cant just disqualify certain genres becase you don't consider them "major" titles. We don't just count major titles, which I assume you mean big budget games

If you count "minor" titles, then you'd have to count XBLA games and the such. Yes, you could say I meant big budget games (which do NOT make them good games, I think we were shown that in 2011-2013 :P ). However, I believe diversity does matter when it comes to exclusives. If a large majority of the games are the same genre, then fans of that platform most likely won't buy every single one of them. If it's diverse, then they will probably buy many more of the titles.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Oozyrat"]

Oozyrat

If you count "minor" titles, then you'd have to count XBLA games and the such. Yes, you could say I meant big budget games (which do NOT make them good games, I think we were shown that in 2011-2013 :P ). However, I believe diversity does matter when it comes to exclusives. If a large majority of the games are the same genre, then fans of that platform most likely won't buy every single one of them. If it's diverse, then they will probably buy many more of the titles.

I believe the PC still has more exclusives than any other single system, even if you include XBLA or PSN games.  Also, PC probably has the greatest variety of games

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
Better graphics, Better MMO and RTS games overall. That's about it for me. I love me some StarCraft, Guild Wars and Planetside 2, but everything else I'd play on my consoles.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

[QUOTE="Oozyrat"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

I believe the PC still has more exclusives than any other single system, even if you include XBLA or PSN games.  Also, PC probably has the greatest variety of games

100% agree with that. The variety is probably pretty close, but I'm sure there are PC games out there that are unique and have been ported to consoles yet.
Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Oozyrat

[QUOTE="Oozyrat"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

GTFO

jhonMalcovich

Starcraft, Team Fortress 2, Half Life, and Sims 3.

Hmmmm. Only 4 games ? No Total War, Civilization, point and click adventures, horror games like Amnesia, wrpgs, indie games? No ? Nothing comes to mind at all ?

I was mentioning games of different genres. Of course there many other titles out there, and yes Amnesia is an amazing game, but Total War, Civilization, Galactic Battlegrounds (still awesome), and Empire at War are all RTS's like Starcraft.  Point and click games are on consoles though, but not as many of course. My point is that there is a very large and diverse exclusive list for consoles, and saying that the PC has a larger list of exclusives than all consoles consoles combined probably is not true. Even if it is, it's most likely filled with titles that are a lot less known than games like Halo, Gears of War, Journey, Garden of Eden, Killzone, Infamous, and Uncharted.

ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ZoomZoom2490
Member since 2008 • 3943 Posts
The PC is much better, and would be worth it for the exclusives alone.PurpleMan5000
pc didn't have a decent excusive since Crysis 1
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]The PC is much better, and would be worth it for the exclusives alone.ZoomZoom2490

False

Bruce_Benzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bruce_Benzing
Member since 2012 • 1731 Posts

Depends on the game and genre. Consoles can't play either Civilization or Roller Coaster Tycoon , so I prefer PC for both...

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jhonMalcovich

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Oozyrat"]

Oozyrat

Then give us a list of console exclusives you consider relevant. Consoles have as many crappy games as PC. Listing all indie games on PC wwould easily take a few pages. Will you tell us that all XBL games are AAA:lol: 

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jhonMalcovich

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]The PC is much better, and would be worth it for the exclusives alone.ZoomZoom2490

Consoles didn´t have a decent exclusive since Mario NES then :lol:

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

You have to remember that, at the end of the day, you are paying to play games  better, and not  the same. Furthermore, PC's simply offer more than consoles, outside of looking solely at games.

It isn't just marginal, either, given that you are playing at drastically higher resolutions, and potentially 2x the fps... If not more. Certain games have  amarginal difference... Others just have opposing fanboys claiming that. Hell, ShadowMoses' Far Cry 3 picture comparison was scrumptiosly delicious in its hilarity.