Pachter: Sony to combat Halo 3 with 40GB PS3?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snipe2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 snipe2004
Member since 2007 • 1872 Posts

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has stated that he feels the optimum time for Sony to slash the price of PlayStation 2 and announce availability of a 40GB PlayStation 3 console would be at next weeks Tokyo Games Show.

Pachter believes that the long-rumoured announcement would not only allow Sony to counter Microsoft's planned release of Halo 3 on September 25, but would encourage further sales growth for the remainder of 2007.

"There have been recent rumours about a new 40GB PS3 sku planned for release prior to the holidays at a USD 399 price point, and other rumours about an impending PS2 price cut to USD 99", observed Pachter.

"We think that both of these ideas have merit, and note that SCE president Kaz Hirai is the keynote speaker at next week's Tokyo Game Show. If the rumours are true, we cannot think of a better forum for making such an announcement, given that the event is less than a week before the launch of archrival Microsoft's Halo 3."

"Should Sony cut prices, we think that continued strong industry sales are all but certain," he concluded.

http://www.psu.com/Pachter--Sony-to-combat-Halo-3-with-40GB-PS3-News--a0001327-p0.php

mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts
so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.
_KenKittyragi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _KenKittyragi_
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts
Nothing will stop Halo 3. Nothing. Halo 3 is estimated to make over $200 million on the first day. A record to never be beat.
xboxrox11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xboxrox11
Member since 2004 • 1143 Posts

Nothing will stop Halo 3. Nothing. Halo 3 is estimated to make over $200 million on the first day. A record to never be beat._KenKittyragi_

user_nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 user_nat
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts

That would be pretty interesting actually..

Can't see it doing anything to slow down halo though.

mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts

[QUOTE="mtradr43"]so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.snipe2004

no games to play on it? it shows your ignorance is your greatest strength. atleast sony is doing something to TRY and combat the monster that halo is instead of doing nothing. By releasing a cheaper SKU consumers on the fence will be snatching it up as people continue to complain about its price. Im not saying itll steal halo's thunder its just trying to combat against it.

there is nothing on the ps3 that makes it worth having right now, regardless of price.

oblivion? played it a year before

Sigma? basically black

rainbow six? same as oblivion

list goes on. the ps3 has nothing, absolutely nothing, that sets it apart from anyone else. the list of games is horrible, and being able ot say that heavenly sword, motorstorm, and resistance is the best you can offer is just sad. im just saying that sony needs to concentrate on putting out games, not more systems. nintendo took the smart way out, see them committing suicide by trying to do something against halo 3? didnt think so. but, sony cant resist getting owned, its what they do best.

plat1num913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 plat1num913
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
299 > 399
Areola54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Areola54
Member since 2006 • 1827 Posts
I don't get it. you buy hardware to do what? Halo3 is a game. people don't go out there to buy hardware and keep looking at them.
Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts
so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.mtradr43
You read my mind. I will say though that a $100 ps2 is a great idea. People are much better off buying one of those than the ps3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

[QUOTE="mtradr43"]so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.snipe2004

no games to play on it? it shows your ignorance is your greatest strength. atleast sony is doing something to TRY and combat the monster that halo is instead of doing nothing. By releasing a cheaper SKU consumers on the fence will be snatching it up as people continue to complain about its price. Im not saying itll steal halo's thunder its just trying to combat against it.

Insulting people who don't share your opinions is a bit immature don't you think?
VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
[QUOTE="mtradr43"]so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.briguyb13
You read my mind. I will say though that a $100 ps2 is a great idea. People are much better off buying one of those than the ps3.

i think the best combo right now is WiiPS260, I personally couldn't be happier!
-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Tretiak
Member since 2007 • 2416 Posts
Let them try. It'll be a waste. Any move made to combat Halo 3 will be a waste. Nothing can stop it.
snipe2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 snipe2004
[QUOTE="snipe2004"]

[QUOTE="mtradr43"]so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.mtradr43

there is nothing on the ps3 that makes it worth having right now, regardless of price.

Sigma? basically black

list goes on. the ps3 has nothing, absolutely nothing, that sets it apart from anyone else. the list of games is horrible, and being able ot say that heavenly sword, motorstorm, and resistance is the best you can offer is just sad. im just saying that sony needs to concentrate on putting out games, not more systems. nintendo took the smart way out, see them committing suicide by trying to do something against halo 3? didnt think so. but, sony cant resist getting owned, its what they do best.

sony is concentrating on putting out more games theyre arguably the biggest first party developer and to say the list of games is horrible is nothing more than an opinion. sure the ps3 doesnt have an AAAE game yet but not all games have to be AAA in order for the ps3 to be enjoyable or any system for that matter but having AAA games does help dont get me wrong. i dont see how putting out a cheaper SKU for the consumers complaining about the price can be considered suicide.not everyone is focused on halo but having a cheaper option out sooner rather than later for consumers on the fence are better for them.

snipe2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 snipe2004
[QUOTE="snipe2004"]

[QUOTE="mtradr43"]so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.briguyb13

Insulting people who don't share your opinions is a bit immature don't you think?

bashing a console by saying there is no games for it is a bit immature dont you think?

plat1num913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 plat1num913
[QUOTE="briguyb13"][QUOTE="snipe2004"]

bashing a console by saying there is no games for it is a bit immature dont you think?

not if its true

rhaigun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rhaigun
Member since 2005 • 3019 Posts
Already a thread on this. Use the search.
Avatar image for desktopdefender
desktopdefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 desktopdefender
Member since 2007 • 1415 Posts

Halo 3 will make 200 Million in the first 24 hours

Beat that!!:P

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts
Halo 3 can't be stopped. However a $400 40 gig Ps3 wouldnt be that bad of a deal.
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

Halo 3 is going to make 1 BILLION dollars.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="snipe2004"][QUOTE="briguyb13"][QUOTE="snipe2004"]

[QUOTE="mtradr43"]so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.plat1num913

not if its true

I was thinking the same thing. The PS3 has maybe 4-5 titles worth purchasing on its system. Many of these titles are old XBox games. Even though the 4-5 titles are decent, I don't think any of them convinces anyone to run out and but a PS3 right now. Next year will be the best time to get one. I don't want the 40GB PS3. If the 60GB PS3 was dropped to $400, I probably would have grabbed one immediately. Since that didn't and isn't happening. I'll have to wait until next year like everyone else.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="snipe2004"]

[QUOTE="mtradr43"]so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.farrell2k

:lol: I can just see consumers at retail staring at both consoles: Halo 3 and a 360 for $349, or a PS3 with no games and no Halo 3 for $400. Hmmm. Which should I buy?

I fixed it for you. Also the Core 360 is only $279. Consumer are going to buy the cheapest system will the most games. That's what they did last year, and I'm sure they will do the same thing this year.

-Karmum-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Karmum-
Member since 2007 • 3775 Posts

299 > 399plat1num913

40GB > 20GB. True?

$399 + putting your own harddrive > standard 20GB harddrive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
[QUOTE="briguyb13"][QUOTE="snipe2004"]

a, hello this is SYSTEM WARS, not people wars, if you can't be civilized you should go for some therapy.
mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts

They better wait til they get some games worth owning otherwise it will look really really bad when they drop the price and still lose the month for sales by 2:1 or more to the 360.

Lowering the price of a paperweight still doesn't change the fact that it is a paperweight.

Activision_QAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Activision_QAT
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts

when you hype a game so bad like Halo2.5HD, and put it on soda cans... the game can be a flop but just because its "halo" its going to sell

if george lucas make the next Starwars movie with a 10$ budget, it would make 100Million the first day it opends... the movie can completely suck... its just the mass fanboys it has... same thing with halo

Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts

when you hype a game so bad like Halo2.5HD, and put it on soda cans... the game can be a flop but just because its "halo" its going to sell

if george lucas make the next Starwars movie with a 10$ budget, it would make 100Million the first day it opends... the movie can completely suck... its just the mass fanboys it has... same thing with halo

Activision_QAT

Halo 2.5 HD, I wish I could be as original as you :roll:

Avatar image for desktopdefender
desktopdefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 desktopdefender
Member since 2007 • 1415 Posts

Activision_QAT

Wows sombodys jelous........

hahaha

LMAO!!!!:lol: Halo 3 is gunna own any PS3 game this holiday.......and i have a ps3

cjnwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cjnwo4life
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts

so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.mtradr43

Agreed. No games = no sales as people will not spend for a system that has literally nothing to enjoy on it.

As for blu ray movie lover this will be great, gamers, not so much!

_Impmacaque_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 _Impmacaque_
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts

You seem to mistake an imminent Sony price cut for "combat".

There is no combat with halo 3. Sony is making a price cut to stay in the game. This is a survival tactic if anything, lol.

Can you imagine how terrible Sony Holiday sales would be if they *didn't* price cut? Microsoft's pretty much forced Sony to play it's hand if they want to make it to '08.

Avatar image for Apathetic-Irony
Apathetic-Irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Apathetic-Irony
Member since 2006 • 1391 Posts

You seem to mistake an imminent Sony price cut for "combat".

There is no combat with halo 3. Sony is making a price cut to stay in the game. This is a survival tactic if anything, lol.

Can you imagine how terrible Sony Holiday sales would be if they *didn't* price cut? Microsoft's pretty much forced Sony to play it's hand if they want to make it to '08.

_Impmacaque_

I agree with everything except the "lol". I don't get why you have to add that in, whether it is to mock PS3 fans or because you actually find it funny. I don't find it funny, I find it sad that Sony screwed up so bad.

They still have time to pick up the slack. And we're still waiting...

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
No
Eggsandwich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Eggsandwich06
Member since 2006 • 535 Posts

299 > 399plat1num913

lol i know what you are trying to say.... but i can tell math isnt your strength

Activision_QAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Activision_QAT
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts
[QUOTE="Activision_QAT"]

desktopdefender

hahaha

LMAO!!!!:lol: Halo 3 is gunna own any PS3 game this holiday.......and i have a ps3

i sure am jelous about a game that was not givin next gen graphics, no bump mapping, same graphcis as xbox but at a higher resolution. i just see it as another "halo" rehash

ill be playing Crysis... oh and ill be playing halo2.5HD on PC when it goes mutiplat :lol:

mwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mwa
Member since 2003 • 2639 Posts

lmao are you kidding me?

a 40 GB PS3 at $399 is NOT going to be able to stand up to halo 3. it won't even make a dent. halo 3 is quite possibly going to be the biggest product of any entertainment medium this year.

releasing a 40 GB PS3 will have no effect WHATSOEVER because:

1) PS3 still has 0 good games for it

2) even if it did have good games, nothing can stop halo 3 with the kind of hype that's currently surrounding it

-Ninja_Dog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Ninja_Dog-
Member since 2005 • 4197 Posts

Just keep droping the price Sony.

I'll pick one up when its 349 usd.

Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts
[QUOTE="desktopdefender"][QUOTE="Activision_QAT"]

Activision_QAT

hahaha

i sure am jelous about a game that was not givin next gen graphics, no bump mapping, same graphcis as xbox but at a higher resolution. i just see it as another "halo" rehash

ill be playing Crysis... oh and ill be playing halo2.5HD on PC when it goes mutiplat :lol:

Rofl, Cows, always hiding behind the PC. Jealousy. The reason why lems say that is because thats what cows always do, hide behind the PC.

plat1num913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 plat1num913

[QUOTE="plat1num913"]299 > 399-Karmum-

40GB > 20GB. True?

Had my 360 for 2 years not once has my hard drive went under 9 gigs enjoy useless gigs

[QUOTE="plat1num913"]299 > 399Eggsandwich06

lol i know what you are trying to say.... but i can tell math isnt your strength

i can tell logic isnt your strength

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="snipe2004"]

[QUOTE="mtradr43"]so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.mtradr43

Sigma? basically black

but if ps3 was the same price as x360 I would take it over the 360 since 360 has nothing that sets it apart from pc

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 imprezawrx500

[QUOTE="mtradr43"]so they combat the biggest game of the past who knows how many years with another console that has no games to play on it? thatll show halo 3 alright.plat1num913

not if its true

but ps3 has pleanty of games just most of them are multiplat just like the 360's

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="Activision_QAT"]

desktopdefender

hahaha

and crysis will own halo3 5x over

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="Activision_QAT"][QUOTE="desktopdefender"][QUOTE="Activision_QAT"]

KrazyKenKutarag

hahaha

Rofl, Cows, always hiding behind the PC. Jealousy. The reason why lems say that is because thats what cows always do, hide behind the PC.

well lems have the excuse since if you take the 360 games that aren't on pc/ps3 they don't have much

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="-Karmum-"]

[QUOTE="plat1num913"]299 > 399plat1num913

40GB > 20GB. True?

Had my 360 for 2 years not once has my hard drive went under 9 gigs enjoy useless gigs

[QUOTE="plat1num913"]299 > 399Eggsandwich06

i can tell logic isnt your strength

you got your x360 in sep 2005? right

snipe2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 snipe2004

a, hello this is SYSTEM WARS, not people wars, if you can't be civilized you should go for some therapy.

i am aware this is system wars and am not here to personally attack him or anyone but just countering his argument and besides there are alot worse people here in system wars so just relax and chill

RonnieLottinSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RonnieLottinSF
Member since 2007 • 1474 Posts

The PS3 is dead in 2007 no matter what Sony does. Halo 3 will push 360 sales the rest of the year, while the Wii will continue to sell steady.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Sony should combat Halo 3 with other games.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Nothing is going to slow down Halo 3. Its going to get it sales. The competition just has to make sure they remain strong as well.
strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts

"Combat Halo 3"

Now thats just too funny.