Overrated game this gen.?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

corn_dogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 corn_dogs
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts
What do you believe is the most overrated game this gen? I'd have to say LBP. I beat it over a week (short game) and the online was fun (in my experience I had quite a bit of lag) but got stale quickly. It was one of the most hyped games this past Holiday and didn't quite live up to the hype (for me). Then followed by GTA4.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Halo 3
fortehlose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 fortehlose
Member since 2009 • 105 Posts
resistance 2, LBP, halo 3, and to a lesser extent,, GTA4.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Calling a game overrated should be banned on this forum. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's overrated. :|

Besides, this is just a thread designed to bash gamers' favourite games disguised by using the term "overrated".

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Almost all the games that have received fairly high scores this generation are over rated to me -- the only exception I find is Super Mario Galaxy. GTAIV, MGS4, Brawl, BioShock, Gears, COD, etc are all pretty over rated to me.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Definitely Grand Theft Auto 4. That game was a big let down. That and Fallout 3.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
MGS4 and GTA4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Almost all the games that have received fairly high scores this generation are over rated to me -- the only exception I find is Super Mario Galaxy. GTAIV, MGS4, Brawl, BioShock, Gears, COD, etc are all pretty over rated to me.Haziqonfire
Exactly my point. :|
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
All of them. They are all overrated.
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Mario Kart Wii

I'm glad I got rid of that piece of thrash...

Lcamm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lcamm
Member since 2009 • 200 Posts
MGS4 flat out by far bar none
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
MGS4, easily.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
MGS4. And I love MGS. But this game, although fun, is not a perfect 10, imo.
Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts
fable 2, GTAIV and IGN's score of prince of persia, that game was unbelievably repetitive.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts
Every game ever is overrated, except for Pong.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Calling a game overrated should be banned on this forum. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's overrated. :|

Besides, this is just a thread designed to bash gamers' favourite games disguised by using the term "overrated".

Aljosa23

If you can justify your opinion there is nothing wrong with the term overated. Its easy to tell who has a point and who doesn't so it shouldn't matter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

ActicEdge

If you can justify your opinion there is nothing wrong with the term overated. Its easy to tell who has a point and who doesn't so it shouldn't matter.

Yeah...like everyone in this thread, amirite?
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts
[QUOTE="ActicEdge"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Aljosa23

The thread didn't ask for justified opinions so I don't see where you're going with this. I know who is a fanboy and who actually has a point even without justification so why do I care if they give reasons or not. You're getting too bent out of shape for something as harmless as this. A ban for using overated? Seriously?

Avatar image for playstationboy7
playstationboy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 playstationboy7
Member since 2008 • 756 Posts
gears of war, halo 3,gta4,fallout 3, and a mgs4 was kind of overated but its still one of the best games ever
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts
i thought mgs4 was a little overrated ,though i thought it was awesome and almost lived up to the insane hype it wasn't quite as good as i expected but it came incredibly close. but nothing like halo 3, which was basically halo 2 with a fresh coat of paint.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

The thread didn't ask for justified opinions so I don't see where you're going with this. I know who is a fanboy and who actually has a point even without justification so why do I care if they give reasons or not. You're getting too bent out of shape for something as harmless as this. A ban for using overated? Seriously?

Lol not a ban, I meant the word overrated should be banned like QFT is.

And I'm not getting bent out of shape, it's just seeing fanboy posts makes Ally sad. :(

Lcamm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lcamm

MGS4 is easily the most overrated game this gen and one of the most overrated games in history

In fact the entire Metal Gear Solid series is overrated

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Gta4 easily
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I think Portal is really overrated. I didn't find it to be a good game.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#28 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
MGS4 and Call of Duty( I prefer Battlefield series)
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts
Resistance2, Gears1+2, Crysis, and GTAIV.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 z4twenny

MGS4 is easily the most overrated game this gen and one of the most overrated games in history

Lcamm
huh? how? i'll admit the 4th is a little overrated but i wonder if you're just a hater. give reasons to back up your opinions please (other than mgs4 suxorz)
Lcamm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lcamm
[QUOTE="Lcamm"]

z4twenny
huh? how? i'll admit the 4th is a little overrated but i wonder if you're just a hater. give reasons to back up your opinions pleas (other than mgs4 suxorz)

I've beaten all 4 games They brag about the story being great but it isnt that great, in fact I can probably think of a ton of games that have better stories and story telling then mgs4 plus its gameplay and retarded enemy ai mgs4 was a piece of trash
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts
Fable 2 and Bioshock immediately come to mind. I love replaying singleplayer games, but I couldn't stomach more that one run of each.
fortehlose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fortehlose
Member since 2009 • 105 Posts

i don't see how MGS4 or Gears of War are over rated, those games were killer apps that sold systems, and really compelled people to by hardware. I know halo did the same, but damn, i just don't like halo. no offense to anyone that does.

Can't say the same for GTA4, lbp, and resistance

doll94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 doll94
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts
gta4
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AAllxxjjnn
[QUOTE="Lcamm"]

z4twenny
huh? how? i'll admit the 4th is a little overrated but i wonder if you're just a hater. give reasons to back up your opinions please (other than mgs4 suxorz)

average gunplay and stealth, awkward pacing as in cutscenes begin to totally overshadow gameplay as the game progresses, dialog is badly written and redundant, cutscenes were too long, story is a convoluted mess with lazy plot devices and deus ex machinas, etc.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 z4twenny
[QUOTE="z4twenny"][QUOTE="Lcamm"]

Lcamm

huh? how? i'll admit the 4th is a little overrated but i wonder if you're just a hater. give reasons to back up your opinions pleas (other than mgs4 suxorz)

I've beaten all 4 games They brag about the story being great but it isnt that great, in fact I can probably think of a ton of games that have better stories and story telling then mgs4 plus its gameplay and retarded enemy ai mgs4 was a piece of trash

the stories are a love it or hate it thing, fair enough, it might not be for everyone. as for the enemy ai, did you try the game on the hardest difficulty? its insane, the enemies are incredibly "smart" on the harder difficulties. what are some games in your opinion with better stories? cuz personally i really liked mgs4's story and im always looking for games with a good story.

Lcamm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lcamm

AAllxxjjnn

average gunplay and stealth, awkward pacing as in cutscenes begin to totally overshadow gameplay as the game progresses, dialog is badly written and redundant, cutscenes were too long, story is a convoluted mess with lazy plot devices and deus ex machinas, etc.

100% true MGS4 and the entire MGS franchise is overrated Kojima is a joke of a develope, Its no wonder he isnt in the AIAS Hall of Fame
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
From what I've played, GTA4. Great game, but definitely not worth the 10s it got, especially since they're not as good as the PS2 games (at least IMO).
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Grand Theft Auto 4.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 z4twenny

AAllxxjjnn

^ really the whole series is overrated huh? im wondering what kind of games you guys actually enjoy (im thinking its 360 games the more you bash)

average gunplay and stealth? what in your opinion has really good gunplay and stealth?

the cutscene pacing, well thats another to each his own. i really like it, 30 minutes or so of gameplay and 30 minutes of cut scenes. but i like movies....

i thought the dialogue was decent. as for the story being a "convoluted mess" i didn't have problems following it personally and i dunno if i would really consider the "deus ex machina" idea to be a "lazy" plot device. but again, thats just me.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Calling a game overrated should be banned on this forum. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's overrated. :|Aljosa23

Why not? What makes my opinion less valid than others? I'd argue that the majority of gamers (including most gaming "journalists") are not only poor judges of quality, but also are unable to form an independent opinion. And judging by the number of "Game X scored a Y, therefore it is a great game" posts around the gaming community (not just SW), I'd be inclined to believe I'm right.

Anyway, my list would be (NOTE: overrated =/= bad):

• COD series- the gameplay has actually been dumbed down since it's great-grandpappy MoH:AA was released back in 2001.
  • MGS 4- Quality gameplay, but Kojima is a mediocre writer at best.
  • GTA 4- It's hard to make a dramatic game when you're building it on a shallow story and two-dimensional characters.
  • Resistance series- Two of the most derivative games I've ever played. You can practically hear the marketing department saying "if we take Halo, add X and subtract Y, we're gold!"
  • Oblivion- 'nuff said.
  • Fallout 3- Great atmosphere, but the Oblivion genes rear their ugly heads too many times.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#42 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
GTA IV was everything but fun, and that's the part that got me in love with GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas. Oh, and the lazy excuse of a port to the PC is a major slap in the face.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#43 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
MGS4 is a great game. I love this series, no doubt. My problems with 4 are:1- make a movie or a game. I dig cutscenes but this was overkill. 2-I never felt I could run and gun through the other MGS titles. It kind of added a little realism to them(and they needed some, with super human villains and all). This time I could for the most part just shoot my way through a lot of the time. 3-Kojima said at one point he admired Gears gameplay, and the new run and gun was so much like it. Not necessarily a bad thing, I also love Gears, but didn't feel as much like MGS, imo.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
GTA IV, Halo 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Soul Calibur IV and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Lcamm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lcamm
MGS4 was beyond overrated
stricky55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 stricky55
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts

MGS4

Edit: O yeah and Resistance series I find the single player very boring on both of them and although R2 multiplayer is fun at times it's nothing special like people make it out to be.

And another edit: Crysis is also overated graphics are awesome but I didn't enjoy the single player is not as great as people make it out to be

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AAllxxjjnn
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"][QUOTE="z4twenny"] huh? how? i'll admit the 4th is a little overrated but i wonder if you're just a hater. give reasons to back up your opinions please (other than mgs4 suxorz)z4twenny

^ really the whole series is overrated huh? im wondering what kind of games you guys actually enjoy (im thinking its 360 games the more you bash)

average gunplay and stealth? what in your opinion has really good gunplay and stealth?

the cutscene pacing, well thats another to each his own. i really like it, 30 minutes or so of gameplay and 30 minutes of cut scenes. but i like movies....

i thought the dialogue was decent. as for the story being a "convoluted mess" i didn't have problems following it personally and i dunno if i would really consider the "deus ex machina" idea to be a "lazy" plot device. but again, thats just me.

Drebin would be a lazy plot device used to give you sappy back stories to each of the bosses.

I like movies too, in fact i love movies. But i don't love movies in my games, and i don't love bad movies; unless they don't take themselves too seriously.

Splinter Cell Chaos theory has good stealth. ie shooting out lights to alter the environment. and sneak past a guard, things like that. Thief offers better stealth. MGS4 practically encourages you to play it run and gun. Especially with Drebin practically giving you unlimited ammo and silencers. You always have plenty of Drebin points, i never found myself running low on points after Act I. Act III was a good example of poor stealth gameplay. That could have been executed much better, which it has in other games.

Good gun play would be a game like Crysis. It doesn't help that MGS4's controls are still clunky. The cover system is complete suck as well.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
GTA IV, Halo 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Soul Calibur IV and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.mitu123
if we are going by GS scores, which we usually do in SW, TP got the right score
Lcamm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lcamm
[QUOTE="z4twenny"][QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"] average gunplay and stealth, awkward pacing as in cutscenes begin to totally overshadow gameplay as the game progresses, dialog is badly written and redundant, cutscenes were too long, story is a convoluted mess with lazy plot devices and deus ex machinas, etc.AAllxxjjnn

Drebin would be a lazy plot device used to give you sappy back stories to each of the bosses.

I like movies too, in fact i love movies. But i don't love movies in my games, and i don't love bad movies; unless they don't take themselves too seriously.

Splinter Cell Chaos theory has good stealth. ie shooting out lights to alter the environment. and sneak past a guard, things like that. Thief offers better stealth. MGS4 practically encourages you to play it run and gun. Especially with Drebin practically giving you unlimited ammo and silencers. You always have plenty of Drebin points, i never found myself running low on points after Act I. Act III was a good example of poor stealth gameplay. That could have been executed much better, which it has in other games.

Good gun play would be a game like Crysis. It doesn't help that MGS4's controls are still clunky. The cover system is complete suck as well.

100% true

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#50 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
Pretty much all the big games all on every platform, with the exception of Brawl and Galaxy. Maybe Little Big Planet. The only problem I had with the latter is that I got tired of it sooner than I thought, but while it lasted, it was hella fun. It was my second favorite game of 2008. Metal Gear Solid 4 was my fourth favorite game of 2008, but it definitely is overrated, in my opinion. It's a solid AAA title, but people go above and beyond and say that it's the best game of this generation, it's the "Ocarina of Time" of this generation, it's 10/10 material, and stuff like that. It's awesome (My ninth favorite game of the generation.), but it's not that good. I didn't expect it to live up to the hype, to be honest. It's the most praised game, ever.