Outcast: A New Beginning! Who is playing this gem!?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

mrbojangles25  Online

Poll Outcast: A New Beginning! Who is playing this gem!? (13 votes)

I am! 31%
I'm not, but I am interested. 15%
I'm not, and not interested. 54%
Played it, didn't like it. 0%

Kind of surprised that this game came out and sort of went under the radar, but as it is not a "AAA" release I suppose that is to be expected.

It's really a lot of fun though, and I was curious if anyone here has played it.

For those that don't know, Outcast: A New Beginning is a third-person sci-fi shooter and is a sequel to a great game from the late 90's of the same name.

I think what I like most about this game is that it doesn't do anything too much...everything about it is just right.

• The writing is corny, but it's not cringe-corny. It's like a good-bad 80's or 90's action movie. Lot's of funny references from the main character. The interactions between the human main character and the alien natives are pretty funny as it's just this well-meaning but ignorant soldier stumbling into culture shock after culture shock haha.
  • The game is huge, but not too huge. It reminds me a lot of Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, but without all the travel in between. All your typical environments are here--coast, jungle, swamp, plains, etc--and they're all easy to get too. There is quite a bit of verticality to the game as well which adds some depth to the level design and open-world without giving it the excessive sprawling feeling.
  • Visuals are great, but not "melt my RTX 4090" great. The game runs well at a high frames per second on my PC, and it looks great. It loads fast and controls are silky smooth.
  • Gameplay is typical third-person shooter fare but with the added element of a jet pack that allows you to do all manner of things. Wonderful platforming is a large part of the game, as is flying and hovering around. Weapon mods can be hot-swapped into your pistol and rifle to make for some interesting combinations (for example, you can change your semi-auto rifle into a hold-to-charge sniper rifle that also leaves a mine on a target! Or you can turn your pistol into a submachinegun that does more damage as the barrel overheats.

Overall it's just....FUN! Which is refreshing in an industry where games like this frankly try too hard to impress us and often fall short.

Hope to see more games like this.

Anyone else play it? What did you think!?

• 
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58976 Posts

This is one of those franchises new about for decades and told about but for whatever reason never tried.

It's full AAA price though, so hold off or just play the OG.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Haven’t really looked into the game at all and don’t really know much about it. Got way too many other games currently on the go and want to get in the future though so not really interested in it to be honest.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69486 Posts

Played and finished it the weekend of released. I enjoyed it.😊

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58311 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

This is one of those franchises new about for decades and told about but for whatever reason never tried.

Price seems sort of arbitrary these days though. Is it better to pay AAA price for a low-quality AAA game, or better to pay AAA price for a high-quality non-AAA game?

I guess it's best to just take it on a per-game basis when it comes to cost. Best games I've played in recent years were 30 bucks or less and some of the worst were 60 bucks or more.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25  Online
@Archangel3371 said:

Haven’t really looked into the game at all and don’t really know much about it. Got way too many other games currently on the go and want to get in the future though so not really interested in it to be honest.

Yeah, we are drowning in games right now lol. Good ones, too!

I bought Dragon's Dogma on an impulse haha and I almost bought Horizon: Forbidden West before I was like "Woh woh woh, slow down there bud". Been trying to work my way through my back catalog alongside new purchases and it's going well. Beat Far Cry 6 and before that Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora; now I'm working my way through Outcast, then I'll get back to Dragon's Dogma 2 after that.

Until then, no more purchases. Unless I really really want it 😋

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58976 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Price seems sort of arbitrary these days though. Is it better to pay AAA price for a low-quality AAA game, or better to pay AAA price for a high-quality non-AAA game?

I guess it's best to just take it on a per-game basis when it comes to cost. Best games I've played in recent years were 30 bucks or less and some of the worst were 60 bucks or more.

After a double technical botched launch of RE8 and SF6 in succession, along with the industry wanting more money, along with pretty much years of them pulling increasingly predatory thing they can adopted a position of never buying a AAA game on launch no matter how praised it is.

Looking at Dragons Dogma 2, that has been completely validated. A broken unoptimized piece of shit that's a scam job, critics clap like seals, single line in a review tap on the wrist. Nonsense. Bullshit.

Last game purchased at launch was Tomb Raider: Remastered collection because 1. Know like these games 2. reasonably priced 3. Good technical job

Probably keep in that £20 range. Steam has many games you can purchase at this mark wholly ignoring whatever the new fancy is being gassed up.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

The second option was the closest for me. I have the game bought. But I'm a bit burned out on 3rd person games now and want to play something else. I'm also waiting for some patches. I tried the demo and it was very unstable on my system.

What little I did play looked fun though. I'll certainly get around to it. Glad to see people are enjoying it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online

@osan0 said:

The second option was the closest for me. I have the game bought. But I'm a bit burned out on 3rd person games now and want to play something else. I'm also waiting for some patches. I tried the demo and it was very unstable on my system.

What little I did play looked fun though. I'll certainly get around to it. Glad to see people are enjoying it.

Yeah tbh I played it for a couple hours as I totally bought it on nostalgia-induced impulse (to be fair, it did look good and I waited for player reviews to come out) and went back to finishing whatever games I was playing at the time.

So yeah, no rush! Games not going to get worse if you wait to play it :D

TPS burnout is real, but honestly Outcast feels like a return to older games due to the platforming and such. It really taps into that vein of nostalgia for those of us that played games in the 90's while also seeming pretty current in terms of design standards. It's a good hit of "Oh ya, I remember this" coupled with "Oh hey, that's new, I like that".

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

I just like traveling to distant planets in games it seems:

Avatar and now Outcasts just have beautiful worlds to explore.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Oh yeah i'm the same. Loved the original back in the day so bought the new one day 1 (as you say, the new one also was looking solid in it's own right).

I've just finish a 3rd person action game run of Batman AC (Still great...need to finish), God of war (Fab), Immortals Fenix rising (also surprisingly good) and Spiderman (also fab) back to back so i'm bushed.

For now it's arcade flight games for me. Star Wars Squadrons (ok so far but just started) and Ace Combat 7 (of which i hear nothing but good things but not started yet) up next.

...Maybe some strategy too. I have deserts of Kharak ready to go and Homeworld 3 is imminent (fingers crossed it's class).

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrbojangles25  Online

@R4gn4r0k said:

Both have top-notch art direction imo. There are also many similarities, too, but where Avatar went with the whole "respect and nobility" of the natives, Outcast went in a more "Oh look at the clash of cultures, isn't this funny!?".

I enjoy both approaches to the whole "beautiful alien planet full of primitives and advanced humans" scenario equally and for different reasons: one is serious and heavy, the other light and fun (but also kind of serious).

It really is a good study in how an almost identical scenario set up *spoiler: human soldier aligns self with exotic planet's native population to fight highly advanced human invaders can differ and have varying approaches. I don't even want to entertain any arguments of "Oh this rips off Avatar" or "Outcast did it first in 1990's" because both are great!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Both have top-notch art direction imo. There are also many similarities, too, but where Avatar went with the whole "respect and nobility" of the natives, Outcast went in a more "Oh look at the clash of cultures, isn't this funny!?".

I enjoy both approaches to the whole "beautiful alien planet full of primitives and advanced humans" scenario equally and for different reasons: one is serious and heavy, the other light and fun (but also kind of serious).

It really is a good study in how an almost identical scenario set up *spoiler: human soldier aligns self with exotic planet's native population to fight highly advanced human invaders can differ and have varying approaches. I don't even want to entertain any arguments of "Oh this rips off Avatar" or "Outcast did it first in 1990's" because both are great!

I like ideas and time frames clashing. Avatar had you fire bow and arrow as part of a tribe riding on horseback, but it also had guns and sci fi technology.

Same with Star Wars, it can have space ships one moment and bounty hunters dueling it out the next

As for Outcast, I never played the original (eventhough I should have) but I like the idea of this being an alternate dimension and an alien world.

And God, I love Cutter Slade's reaction to everything. He is just a barrel of laughs and so honest in his initial reaction to everything, that he says the exact thing that I was just about to say!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k said:

I couldn't get into Avatar but it was a beautiful looking world.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@Pedro said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I couldn't get into Avatar but it was a beautiful looking world.

I played half that game solo and half that game with a friend. Coop was really nice and of the drop in drop out variety.

Solo on the other hand allowed me to do more my own thing and stealth it (I also loved doing the side content).

Stealth really comes together once you learn that you are safe from enemies when you are above them:

In that way the game works almost exactly like Dishonored does.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k: Nice, I will have to give it a second chance then.