Open world action RPG is now most oversaturated genre?

• 54 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24959 Posts

Hello friends,

In last few years its like developers only wanted to do open world RPGs. where are pure action games? pure FPS games? pure third person shooters?

I remember playing Pure FPS like FEAR and pure TPS like Max payne and blown away how perfect gameplay mechanics are still.

been playing hogwart legacy this is just another assassins creed/witcher set in harry potter universe.

3 different games made by 3 different developers but they all feel same!!.

explore boring world for hours, create character, level up, talk talk talk, engage in awful combat sequence. rinse and repeat.

when you make action RPG. you make haalf arsed action and RPG elements. neither they have good action sequence nor RPG elements since RPG elements are dumbed down.

so my friends, are we sick of ubisoft open world action RPG formula? is this now most oversaturated genre?

Id say yes.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39177 Posts

If you had Elden Ring in there, i would've permanently blocked you.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:

If you had Elden Ring in there, i would've permanently blocked you.

elden ring is not ubisoft clone.

talking about ubisoft clones open world RPGs.

I blame those who complain about too many FPS during 7th gen. and want more and more RPGs.

now they got what they deserve.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

Hogwarts isn’t boring, get past the tutorial and you’ll notice it’s way more fun that those trash FPSs you keep failing to hype that score like crap. Go play Metroid Prime, it’s the greatest and most innovative FPS ever made.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Oversaturated just like your threads.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ghosts4ever

@mesome713 said:

Hogwarts isn’t boring, get past the tutorial and you’ll notice it’s way more fun that those trash FPSs you keep failing to hype that score like crap. Go play Metroid Prime, it’s the greatest and most innovative FPS ever made.

hogwart entire game is tutorial.

STALKER have more gameplay in first 30 mintues that is challenging than entire hogwart.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mesome713

@ghosts4ever: How would you know? You only played a couple hours. Troll harder mate.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@mesome713 said:

@ghosts4ever: How would you know? You only played a couple hours. Troll harder mate.

nope. I now played more than 15 hrs. its glorified tutorial.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mesome713

@ghosts4ever: Wow, that’s longer than those weak fps you hype take to beat.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2947 Posts

Yeah, I am getting a bit tired of games with 100+ sidequests. I kinda miss linear games now. Start game, complete level 1, complete level 2, complete level 3 etc. That's what I want back.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghosts4ever

@mesome713 said:

@ghosts4ever: Wow, that’s longer than those weak fps you hype take to beat.

Doom Eternal 25 hours long. and entire game is pure gamey and action.

not casual glorified tutorial. you may not survive nightmare on Doom Eternal.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghosts4ever
@pmanden said:

Yeah, I am getting a bit tired of games with 100+ sidequests. I kinda miss linear games now. Start game, complete level 1, complete level 2, complete level 3 etc. That's what I want back.

people during 7 gen complain about linear games. linear shooters etc.

demanded 100 hours of fetch quest. now developer listened to them.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2947 Posts

@ghosts4ever: You have a valid point. Yet there is also something known as "too much of the good thing". I am just tired of constantly getting side tracked from the main story line because 43 dudes need my help with 43 side quests, and at the same time of course . It ruins the flow of the game and its story progression.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

Oversaturated, no?

Most banal, design by committee? yeah.

Edit: And you are right about Action RPGs completely missing the point of the RPG genre. Like holy crap, given how they capitalize on none of the actual strengths of the RPG genre (gameplay emergence and problem solving), it is unlikely most of these devs have even touched a tabletop RPG. Instead only emulating them on a surface level: Level ups and stats, without understanding why those things work in the first place.

@pmanden said:

That is one thing I really like about Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem may be an RPG, but this is the exact structure of the games, level based like any typical linear game. There are side objectives in levels. But they are more of something you pursue, while pursuing the main goal, and usually exist as an incentive to split your forces up and as a reward for playing well.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

Idk, I feel like there’s more JRPGs. :-S

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

Go to indie games Ghost.

AAA is mostly trash now.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Go to indie games Ghost.

AAA is mostly trash now.

nope. cant stand 2d indie game that feel like mobile games.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

All I know is, callisto protocol scored 5 here and atomic heart got 6.

Harry Potter simulation has 85 on MC, let that sink in.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

All I know is, callisto protocol scored 5 here and atomic heart got 6.

Harry potter game also get 6.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Can you show us a screenshot of Hogwarts Legacy in your Steam library?

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blaznwiipspman1

@ghosts4ever: you are wrong there my friend. It got 6 here because of political bias. Otherwise it's a great game.

Atomic heart is an OK game 75 on meta but callisto protocol is a flop of the ages.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

@theam0g said:

Ditto.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghosts4ever

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@ghosts4ever: you are wrong there my friend. It got 6 here because of political bias. Otherwise it's a great game.

Atomic heart is an OK game 75 on meta but callisto protocol is a flop of the ages.

Atomic heart is good game. it was always going to be 7ish. its eastern european game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39177 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:
@theam0g said:

Ditto.

At least he doesn't live on resetera.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

I feel like you already did this thread before.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blaznwiipspman1

@ghosts4ever: atomic heart is ok game according to metacritic.

Harry Potter simulator is a masterpiece

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 513 Posts

Perspective is everything I think. I've always thought that FPS games where the most oversaturated genre, because I typically don't enjoy them as much and I see alot of them fail because they can't separate themselves from the rest of the flock. I never thought of RPG elements being over saturated because I enjoy the progression elements in those games. If you don't enjoy those elements in games, it tends to stick out more when you play them and you think "God, again?"

Give it a few years, the sales will slide and the popularity will shift to something else and then the other guy will be saying "God, again?" Over something different.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1351 Posts

I liked Hogwarts Legacy at first until I was drowning in cutscene after cutscene, and endless amounts of mindless side quests, having to grow plants, make potions, breed beasts, and pet and feed them, and then wait for a countdown to do it all over again was the nail in the coffin for me. If they cut out all the time wasting stuff it would have been a lot more fun. I actually enjoy the combat although it is too easy. Once I’m done this game I’m taking a break from movie games and open world time wasters for a while.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghosts4ever

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@ghosts4ever: atomic heart is ok game according to metacritic.

Harry Potter simulator is a masterpiece

Doom Eternal better metacritic thus bigger masterpiece.

Deathloop 10/10 bigger masterpiece.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghosts4ever
@pcgamerlaszlo said:

Perspective is everything I think. I've always thought that FPS games where the most oversaturated genre, because I typically don't enjoy them as much and I see alot of them fail because they can't separate themselves from the rest of the flock. I never thought of RPG elements being over saturated because I enjoy the progression elements in those games. If you don't enjoy those elements in games, it tends to stick out more when you play them and you think "God, again?"

Give it a few years, the sales will slide and the popularity will shift to something else and then the other guy will be saying "God, again?" Over something different.

FPS games have lot more variety than open world RPGs. nearly all major FPS games are vastly different than others.

its all during 7th gen that feature bunch of COD clones that people believe FPS were similar.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo

@ghosts4ever: I don't feel that way at all, but like I said, it's all about preference and perception. You obviously love shooters and hate open world games, so of course you would feel that way.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghosts4ever

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

@ghosts4ever: I don't feel that way at all, but like I said, it's all about preference and perception. You obviously love shooters and hate open world games, so of course you would feel that way.

theres far more open world RPG games release today than pure shooters.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45238 Posts

TC hypes up mediocre games, criticizes successful ones lol

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever

@SolidGame_basic said:

TC hypes up mediocre games, criticizes successful ones lol

hogwart is 6/10 game. so according to you only GS matters?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Don't know about the ARPG part specifically, but yes I think throwing various genres into open worlds has gone overboard. Which in itself doesn't have to be a bad thing, but seems much of the industry quickly settled on rough templates for how it's done. Rarely making interesting use of so much space, often transplanting gameplay and goals that would be more interesting in a smaller space anyways. There are exceptions, but it's rare. And even with those exceptions, it's usually still like ok, but did you really need that much space. Have to wonder if these are mandates from pubs who want to push size as a selling point.

Anyways, plenty of games I like, easily ignore.

Agree on missing pure genre titles, that's a bigger issue to me. Get these hodgepodge titles with the most basic bitch form of multiple gameplay types. Legit providing worse forms of various gameplay types than what we had 20 years ago. Fortunately indies and AA fill in those blanks, but it was nice when those were the big games with the funds. The way the industry was pre gen 7. And while indie/AA has done great to fill those spaces, still some genres in the wind. For example, Mark of the Ninja is a great stealth game as are Mimimi's titles. But are we ever going to get games that elaborate on the systems that series like Thief, MGS, and Splinter Cell laid out?

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PCGamerLaszlo

@ghosts4ever: I was talking FPS games in general. If you're talking about why their isn't more "pure" shooters, then the answer is simple. They don't sell well compared to everything else.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44604 Posts

It's too broad of a definition, but given Wo Long just released I imagine the idea of Souls-likes being a genre at risk of being over-saturated is something I think could potentially happen.

But "open world action RPGs" is still a very wide umbrella, also include games like Atomic Heart too. So, as a whole it is not a genre at risk of being over saturated.

Loading Video...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ghosts4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:

But are we ever going to get games that elaborate on the systems that series like Thief, MGS, and Splinter Cell laid out?

theres new splinter cell coming out. remake of original. and if only ubisoft turn it into open world RPG...

I missed when we have pure action games like Max payne, FEAR, Half life..

Doom and Doom Eternal are only saving grace in modern gaming. and even they get criticize by some.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ConanTheStoner
@ghosts4ever said:

theres new splinter cell coming out. remake of original. and if only ubisoft turn it into open world RPG...

I know man, not really the point tho. Was only using the stealth genre as one of various examples. A single upcoming remake wouldn't change that, even if it nails it.

@ghosts4ever said:

Doom and Doom Eternal are only saving grace in modern gaming. and even they get criticize by some.

Nah. Doom was good, Eternal was great. But nah. You just don't play enough games. Stick to a narrow genre selection. Within that, must meet X level of grit. Must meet X level of modernity. Must be X budget game. Shooting yourself in the foot. In 1st person.

When you do go out on a limb, it's like that dude Warmgun. Playing some game that you obviously could never like, some shit that's not even made for people who are into games. Like a cinephile acting shocked that the latest Marvel flick didn't impress them.

And no game is above criticism. Gamers may be uniquely bad at criticism, I'll give you that. Unappreciative of this mediums strengths. Won't usually see this level of braindead among enthusiasts of other entertainment/art mediums. But nothing precludes modern DOOM from valid crits.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ghosts4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I know man, not really the point tho. Was only using the stealth genre as one of various examples. A single upcoming remake wouldn't change that, even if it nails it.

@ghosts4ever said:

Nah. Doom was good, Eternal was great. But nah. You just don't play enough games. Stick to a narrow genre selection. Within that, must meet X level of grit. Must meet X level of modernity. Must be X budget game. Shooting yourself in the foot. In 1st person.

When you do go out on a limb, it's like that dude Warmgun. Playing some game that you obviously could never like, some shit that's not even made for people who are into games. Like a cinephile acting shocked that the latest Marvel flick didn't impress them.

And no game is above criticism. Gamers may be uniquely bad at criticism, I'll give you that. Unappreciative of this mediums strengths. Won't usually see this level of braindead among enthusiasts of other entertainment/art mediums. But nothing precludes modern DOOM from valid crits.

nope. I played enough games. sick of open world RPG games. or ubisoft style.

now Im hoping Alan wake 2 and STALKER 2 will nail it in thier respected genre.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

@pmanden said:

As I get older, I'm starting to feel the same. I just don't have the time or the desire to play these huge empty open world games anymore. Give me more focused, linear games any day.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ConanTheStoner
@ghosts4ever said:

My friend. I was sick of Ubisofts shit the day the first Assassins Creed launched. I dislike most open world games, even before Ubisoft was making them.

There's still a shit ton of good games out there, you just refuse to try them.

@ghosts4ever said:

now Im hoping Alan wake 2 and STALKER 2 will nail it in thier respected genre.

Avatar image for hamiltonrichard
HamiltonRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HamiltonRichard
Member since 2023 • 91 Posts

I can understand your frustration with the abundance of open world action RPGs in recent years. It seems that many game developers are focusing on this particular genre, and while it can be enjoyable to explore vast, immersive game worlds, it's understandable that some gamers may be looking for more variety.

However, it's worth noting that there are still plenty of pure action games, FPS games, and third-person shooters being released. While they may not receive as much attention as open world RPGs, they still have dedicated fan bases and can offer unique and satisfying gameplay experiences.

Regarding your comment about Hogwarts Legacy feeling like another Assassin's Creed or Witcher game set in the Harry Potter universe, it's not uncommon for game developers to take inspiration from successful titles in order to create something that they believe will resonate with players. That being said, it's important to remember that each game is unique and may offer its own twists on familiar gameplay mechanics.

Ultimately, it's up to individual gamers to decide what types of games they want to play and what genres they find most appealing. While open world action RPGs may be popular right now, there will always be a place for other types of games in the gaming industry.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ConanTheStoner

Hello ChatGPT.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ghosts4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:
@ghosts4ever said:

My friend. I was sick of Ubisofts shit the day the first Assassins Creed launched. I dislike most open world games, even before Ubisoft was making them.

There's still a shit ton of good games out there, you just refuse to try them.

my friend, Im no warm guy (gun or blur doesnot matter) who refuse to try anything. I always be open minded and try new games but end up disliking them if they dont fall in my criteria.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ConanTheStoner

@ghosts4ever:

1. Not true. You're very closed minded to the majority of game types.

2. Everyone has their own criteria of course. Yours just happens to be fairly arbitrary and extremely limiting.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ghosts4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:

@ghosts4ever:

1. Not true. You're very closed minded to the majority of game types.

2. Everyone has their own criteria of course. Yours just happens to be fairly arbitrary and extremely limiting.

I dont really care about most of generic AAA open world games with RPG elements.

Give me STALKER 2, Metro 4, Quake reboot (or whatever id software working on) as next proper single player FPS milestone. I will be happy.

in third person side. Alan wake 2 and if Space marine 2 have potential too since its non cover based pure action shooter. no RPG elements shit.

but I still gave most games a try unlike users with warm in thier names.