OnLive Announcement revealed! 99 dollar console!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cgamer298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cgamer298
Member since 2010 • 153 Posts

Here's OnLive's huge announcement...

OnLive

OnLiveNever get off your couch again. We just brought instant play to your living room with the OnLive Game System for $99 plus a FREE game. No discs, no downloads – just jump in and play whatever you want in seconds. Get details and pre-order here: http://www.onlive.com/game-system

I had high hopes for OnLive but there's no way I'm paying 100 for the console.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

or, you know, you could get the exact same software for free on any PC....

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Ill pass.

Cant wait for Rikusaki to come in and tell us how Onlive is still the messiah of gaming and life though.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts

Ill pass.

Cant wait for Rikusaki to come in and tell us how Onlive is still the messiah of gaming and life though.

Shirokishi_
haha, his name is actually salesman
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#5 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I just want a Controller for my PC so I can actually play on my Laptop.

Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Luxen90
Member since 2006 • 7427 Posts

I don't get it what is the "complete fail" about it? 99 dollars is a great price and imagine if there was more advertising for it.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

How is this fail?:?

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cobrax25

[QUOTE="cobrax25"]

Cgamer298

Before I'll pay 99 for that console I'll put a nice graphics card in my pc. I already have a slim 360 anyway. I had high hopes but I believe this will turn people away and they'll leave OnLive. They basically screwed themselves and don't even realize it.

you know you can get onlive on any PC for free right? their not charging for the software...

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
... I mean, right now there's a World of Warcraft mouse for 100 bucks. This seems like a pretty reasonable asking price.
Cgamer298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cgamer298

I don't get it what is the "complete fail" about it? 99 dollars is a great price and imagine if there was more advertising for it.

Luxen90

I already have a HDMI out on my pc, so I can play OnLive on the TV anyway. Why pay 99 when you can get a HDMI or DVI to HDMI for 2.33 cents on ebay and then a 360 controller for 15?? Also, OnLive said that founding members would get it basically for nothing. Welcome to the nothing ..100 dollars!! BLAH!

mystervj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mystervj
Member since 2010 • 2213 Posts
$100 isn't fail? It's certainly cheaper than any gaming device I can think of, not that I'm actually interested.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#13 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Luxen90

You get a Free Game with it too.

But think about it.

If you have a computer and an HDTV, you can get a PCI to HDMI adapter and you can use your HDTV has a Monitor and you can launch Onlive from your PC and all you need is a Xbox 360 Controller for your PC and Tada! you have the same thing that you're paying $100 dollars for...for less!

and hey, you can use that extra cash to buy a game or 2 on the Service!

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Considering that it has a small game library and you need a fast internet connection to play properly. It's a complete fail.
Cgamer298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cgamer298

[QUOTE="Cgamer298"]

[QUOTE="cobrax25"]

cobrax25

Before I'll pay 99 for that console I'll put a nice graphics card in my pc. I already have a slim 360 anyway. I had high hopes but I believe this will turn people away and they'll leave OnLive. They basically screwed themselves and don't even realize it.

you know you can get onlive on any PC for free right? their not charging for the software...

Yes, I have OnLive. I like it alot and think it's awesome but not gonna pay 100. I just don't think people were expecting a 100 price point. I wasn't. I'm just saying this could put a sour taste in the founding members mouth because they didn't honor their word.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
well, it's cheaper than Kinect :P
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't understand the fail here honestly...

gohan2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gohan2710
Member since 2005 • 4315 Posts

Ill pass.

Shirokishi_
Isnt he the same user who was hyping GT5 nonstop yet he never play a GT game before?
Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Luxen90

[QUOTE="Luxen90"]

Cgamer298

I already have a HDMI out on my pc, so I can play OnLive on the TV anyway. Why pay 99 when you can get a HDMI or DVI to HDMI for 2.33 cents on ebay and then a 360 controller for 15?? Also, OnLive said that founding members would get it basically for nothing. Welcome to the nothing ..100 dollars!! BLAH!

,but that's kind of messing the purpose of Onlive being simple. At least I thought Onlive main purpose was a simple way to play PC games without having to make any adjustments to your PC. Also, what you said doesn't make it a complete failure at all either, you basically are just saying you could do the same thing at a cheaper cost.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cobrax25

[QUOTE="cobrax25"]

[QUOTE="Cgamer298"]

Cgamer298

Yes, I have OnLive. I like it alot and think it's awesome but not gonna pay 100. I just don't think people were expecting a 100 price point. I wasn't. I'm just saying this could put a sour taste in the founding members mouth because they didn't honor their word.

the whole console thing seems like an afterthough. I think their entire market is going to be with the low end laptop/netbook people. It really doesnt fit as well on a TV.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Can you play 360 and ps3 exclusive on on live? NO.
Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Luxen90

[QUOTE="Luxen90"]

LegatoSkyheart

But think about it.

If you have a computer and an HDTV, you can get a PCI to HDMI adapter and you can use your HDTV has a Monitor and you can launch Onlive from your PC and all you need is a Xbox 360 Controller for your PC and Tada! you have the same thing that you're paying $100 dollars for...for less!

Cool and I know that. I'm partially a PC gamer so I don't really need someone to tell me how things works, and that doesn't make Onlive micro console a failure at all.

Cgamer298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cgamer298

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Luxen90"]

Luxen90

But think about it.

Cool and I know that. I'm partially a PC gamer so I don't really need someone to tell me how things works, and that doesn't make Onlive micro console a failure at all.

I'm not saying the console it's self is failure. I'm saying the price point is!

CagedOkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CagedOkami
Member since 2010 • 370 Posts

what are you talking about $100 is nothing. what are you *****ing about?

people were more than happy to slam more money down for a wii which is $250(which is also the cheapest console out there)

but since SW hates the wii i'll refer to the 360 now, people paid what, $400, $300 on it. this is a great price point.

Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Luxen90

Cgamer298

But almost 99% of the time there's a cheaper alternative.If we go by that the almost every available item on the market is a failure price point then. The company needs to make money to you know lol.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

WoW! They must be hard up for $$$.

"In April, IGN.com did an article stating that they felt the box should cost no more than $100 when it is released. While Perlman didn't give a definitive answer on the actual price of the unit during his session at Columbia, he did reveal there isn't much in the box to make it expensive. In fact, he said: "The plastic on the outside of the MicroConsole is actually more expensive than the gadgets inside."

http://www.platformnation.com/2010/01/06/onlive-microconsole-to-be-free/

From free to $99... :lol:

Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Luxen90

"In April, IGN.com did an article stating that they felt the box should cost no more than $100 when it is released. While Perlman didn't give a definitive answer on the actual price of the unit during his session at Columbia, he did reveal there isn't much in the box to make it expensive. In fact, he said: "The plastic on the outside of the MicroConsole is actually more expensive than the gadgets inside."

Truth_Hurts_U

Wait the micro console was suppose to be free??Uhhh...I don't know what to say then.

Cgamer298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cgamer298

[QUOTE="Cgamer298"]

Luxen90

But almost 99% of the time there's a cheaper alternative.If we go by that the almost every available item on the market is a failure price point then. The company needs to make money to you know lol.

I'm not saying it's exactly bad. The main thing for me was I am a founding member and they didn't keep their word. 100 isn't much at all but it is when you have to work hard for the money and especially in todays economy. I Talk to Ruk on OnLive though messages andI've always been positive about OnLive. Just wished it was cheaper as stated before. Maybe a year down the road I might buy it. But not right now.

Cgamer298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cgamer298

Truth_Hurts_U

This is why I'm disappointed! :(

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
Theres no point buying it for consolists, as they already have access to all the games in onlives catalogue, and the pc exclusives wont work well on it as you need keyboard+mouse. PC gamers won't want it either, theres nothing offered to them that is worth buying, if it had ps3/360 exclusives maybe some would actually buy it.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

Ill pass.

Shirokishi_
I would not want that job. I don't understand why people accept viral marketing positions, it really does require you to sell your soul. Part of the problem with that is always that, if you're really a game, you know deep in your heart that every person you trick is another person whose pleasure (and money) you have stolen. People get that mentality of "it's just my job" but in reality, well, the damage is done.

I don't understand the fail here honestly...

JangoWuzHere
You pay $100 for a device that DOES NOTHING. Then you pay full retail price to RENT a game (yes, rent, you do not own OnLIVE games) or an overly high rental price to do what they call RENTING a game on a service that requires constant high-speed, low-latency internet to function. Then, early next year, you start paying $15 a month to continue accessing the games you supposedly bought (but are really renting) and have no recourse when publishers pull their games from the service, or the contract expires, and OnLIVE doesn't want to pay to continue allowing you to access the games you supposedly bought. - It's a gigantic scam.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Even though I dont like the service I will admit that this is a very good deal. The service itself is free, you only need to pay so the company needs to make money somehow. Ill be honest. I probably will end up using Onlive, but probably only on my smartphone(once I get one :P)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="Luxen90"]

LegatoSkyheart

But think about it.

Can you even use the 360 controller with OnLive?

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

Even though I dont like the service I will admit that this is a very good deal. The service itself is free, you only need to pay so the company needs to make money somehow. Ill be honest. I probably will end up using Onlive, but probably only on my smartphone(once I get one :P)

painguy1
1. The service isn't free. You pay FULL RETAIL for games or a rental fee which is higher than other available rental services. That full retail price is HIGHER than buying the game at a store typically, and when you consider that you NEVER OWN ANYTHING you are getting completely screwed. 2. OnLIVE *will* be starting monthly fees. This information used to be publicly available but unfortunately OnLIVE started pulling the public disclosures when they started facing a combination of pressure from the few people left who do investigative journalism (such as myself) and legal problems. 3. Good luck with that.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

So now OnLive is just a cheaper console now? I'm just trying to digest it all, because I still don't understand its advantages. With OnLive you're trading off a lot of bandwidth plus graphical fidelity for low hardware costs? If you're spending that much on internet chances are you can afford a good PC and consoles.

Cgamer298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cgamer298

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Luxen90"]

KHAndAnime

But think about it.

Can you even use the 360 controller with OnLive?

Yes, you can. You can also use the PS3 dual shock 3. I've used both.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

Controller comparison shots:

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rikusaki

Packaging/Boxart:

Love how simple it looks.

Cgamer298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cgamer298

Rikusaki

Where did you get the pics from? I haven't seen them anywhere.

Joseph-425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Joseph-425
Member since 2010 • 562 Posts

Packaging/Boxart:

Rikusaki

Are you gonna buy GT5

xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

Packaging/Boxart:

Joseph-425

Are you gonna buy GT5

of course it look simple its basically nothing

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Hehe so no reply from Rikusaki, just a couple of pictures?

Cgamer298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cgamer298

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

Packaging/Boxart:

Joseph-425

Are you gonna buy GT5

I will say I do like the way it looks. Controller is awesome looking! Wonder if that dpad would work good.? Don't guess it matters as there's no mortal kombat or street fighter to play on there.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rikusaki

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

Cgamer298

Where did you get the pics from? I haven't seen them anywhere.

It was posted in the OnLiveFans Forum.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

subrosian

1. The service isn't free. You pay FULL RETAIL for games or a rental fee which is higher than other available rental services. That full retail price is HIGHER than buying the game at a store typically, and when you consider that you NEVER OWN ANYTHING you are getting completely screwed. 2. OnLIVE *will* be starting monthly fees. This information used to be publicly available but unfortunately OnLIVE started pulling the public disclosures when they started facing a combination of pressure from the few people left who do investigative journalism (such as myself) and legal problems. 3. Good luck with that.

oh for realz? ...well ummmm...then i change my mind lol :P

T-Aldous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 T-Aldous
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

Packaging/Boxart:

Rikusaki

What happened to the controller with the offset analog sticks like the 360 controller?

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
The on live controller looks awesome.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cobrax25

[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

oh for realz? ...well ummmm...then i change my mind lol :P

their is no monthly fee with the service, I dunno why, but he just likes to blatenly make stuff up about onlive.