Old School, Thats How it Rolls

This topic is locked from further discussion.

oldmenkickbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 oldmenkickbutt
Member since 2007 • 117 Posts
Does anybody ever go back and play video games from the PS1, SNES, N64, etc.? Well I enjoy the old school style of gaming but i work that into my love for my 360.  Well anyways,  what is your favorite game from the old school consoles?  PS1, SNES, N64, etc
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
Rollercoaster tycoon only.
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Hmmm, I still play a few old games from back in the day. The ones that have stood the test of time anyways. Gen - Shining Force 1/2 Landstalker SNES - Super Mario RPG Chrono Trigger Act Raiser Secret of Evermore Secret of Mana Illusion of Gaia N64 - Zelda OoT and Majora Conker's PS1 - Suikoden 2 Vanguard Bandits Legend of Dragoon FF series Wild Arms
Zandeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zandeus
Member since 2006 • 3124 Posts
I have trouble going back to the oldies, i always feel saddened when they dont look like a remember them.... I guess when I was a kid, my eyes / imagination made things look 10x better than they really did.
Doomshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Doomshine
Member since 2004 • 908 Posts
I like to take out the Master System occasionally.

Then I usually play games like Double Dragon, Asterix and Psychic World. If only the light gun would still work, so I could play Rescue Mission.
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
thye all are crap when you go back to them now..its better to just have the memorys of them,
oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts
I have trouble going back to the oldies, i always feel saddened when they dont look like a remember them.... I guess when I was a kid, my eyes / imagination made things look 10x better than they really did.Zandeus

I have the same problem.  I have so many good memories of playing punchout, contra, zelda, sonic, pit fighter, toe jam, micky mousecapades, etc but when I play them now their just not the same as once was to my eye.  I loved the fact there was no save options back then because you just had to get real good at the game to beat it.  It's like you really got your money's worth (or parent's money LOL) and was forced to keep on trying harder.  There are so many games that I could draw out the levels in the back of my mind on paper because they were so deep!  Games today are hot with graphics, but most of them are shallow in content and overall replay value.  I still game on nonetheless.

Anyhow, me being oldskool (check the name hehe) I have a Dream Authentics arcade cabinet with mame for the very reason that I cannot get the same experience with a new console.  Whether that be the Wii with emulated games, 360 with arcade hits, or whatever... Nothing will compare to playing Double Dragon, turtles, UMK3, Killer Instinct, Bad Dudes, Pacman, Super Contra, Robocop, Simpsons, Afterburner, 1942, etc with a fully blown arcade cabinet, stereo surround, joystick and 6 button/ flight stick and side pinball buttons for Pinmame (too cheap to own pinball machines).  That setup cost me nearly 4 grand but I'm gonna take it with me to my grave.  I thought of it this way... I could literally spend that much money in the arcade (if a good one was present where I live) but sadly the days are long gone (at least where i live) so it's justified for me.  *actually i already got my moneys worth if taken into account my friends/family that have been using it too.

klabut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 klabut
Member since 2006 • 3264 Posts
I still play the Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania games and several other on nes. Also some Neo Geo games and a bunch of others.
Blitz_Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blitz_Nemesis
Member since 2005 • 8042 Posts
Me and my friend actaully still play SSB on the N64.
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Rollercoaster tycoon only. 11Marcel

That doesn't count. You can still buy that anywhere.

Old school games are usually games that aren't out anymore; games that have come and gone, but not forgotten.

klabut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 klabut
Member since 2006 • 3264 Posts

[QUOTE="11Marcel"]Rollercoaster tycoon only. Shad0ki11

Old school games are usually games that aren't out anymore; games that have come and gone, but not forgotten.

A game can't be at stores to be outschool? I can go to Disk replay and several other stores to get nes, genesis, and snes games.:|
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Everything from 1994-1998.

Greatest 5 years in gaming.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
Thanks to my Wii, yes.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
I had some good memories with my nes
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts
[QUOTE="Shad0ki11"]

[QUOTE="11Marcel"]Rollercoaster tycoon only. klabut

A game can't be at stores to be outschool? I can go to Disk replay and several other stores to get nes, genesis, and snes games.:|

SNES and Genesis are NOT part of this current generation of video game consoles. Last gen consoles are still lingering with the last bit of life they have, but you can't buy SNES and Genesis games everywhere because those systems went out of production years ago. Making those games old school.

Rollercoaster Tycoon can still be bought almost anywhere (any game retail store, that is)

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
Does anybody ever go back and play video games from the PS1, SNES, N64, etc.? Well I enjoy the old school style of gaming but i work that into my love for my 360. Well anyways, what is your favorite game from the old school consoles? PS1, SNES, N64, etcoldmenkickbutt
Hmm...go back? i haven't yet moved forward! :P
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
[QUOTE="oldmenkickbutt"]Does anybody ever go back and play video games from the PS1, SNES, N64, etc.? Well I enjoy the old school style of gaming but i work that into my love for my 360. Well anyways, what is your favorite game from the old school consoles? PS1, SNES, N64, etcPangster007
Hmm...go back? i haven't yet moved forward! :P

:lol:

All I have to say to Koji Igarashi on this is, let the production costs continue to skyrocket:P I think I might just start hating the Wii now more then the other consoles.
BigDizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 BigDizz
Member since 2004 • 2592 Posts
Pshhh I bust out the old sega genisis and play some sonic.
ShaneBeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 ShaneBeck
Member since 2005 • 10511 Posts
SNES top 3 - Mother 2, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars

N64 top 3 - Banjo Tooie, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts
I have trouble going back to the oldies, i always feel saddened when they dont look like a remember them.... I guess when I was a kid, my eyes / imagination made things look 10x better than they really did.Zandeus
thts wot i was like. am 16 the now, but when i was able to play gunstar heroes again thx to the wii it seemed such a little game..... i always remembered it as one great massive game lol
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
I still play all the super mario games. I cant get enough of them.
O_Lineman17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 O_Lineman17
Member since 2005 • 1128 Posts
Happens to me....I can still remember gettin up early on weekends so I could be the first on our SNES....I miss those days, but I guess gaming really opened my imagination, and that's what those nuts over here in the US trying to ban games don't seem to get. It can open it to bad things, but you can't hide from the realworld your whole life.... Oh yeah back to the topic of the thread. My favorite would have to Duck Hunt, I haven't played that game in years, but it was the one I played the most when I was little and I loved it. Either that or Ocarina of Time, wow an amazing game.
Cuby_Finest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cuby_Finest
Member since 2005 • 1129 Posts
Does anybody ever go back and play video games from the PS1, SNES, N64, etc.? Well I enjoy the old school style of gaming but i work that into my love for my 360.  Well anyways,  what is your favorite game from the old school consoles?  PS1, SNES, N64, etcoldmenkickbutt
Fave games PS1 - Metal gear solid, Teken 3 simply brilliant even compared to todays games Snes (AKA the king) - Super street fighter, MOrtal kombat, DonkeyKong, S mario bros 3...nogh said n64 - zelda, Golden eye and killer instincts......those are what i call fun games MegaDrive- Sonic, shinobi, Alex Kid