Oblivion PS3 vs 360 Comparison

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18049&type=wmv&pl=game

Does anyone think the 360 version has TOO much color? It makes it look a bit fake.

OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
ps3 version looks more crisper.
kryloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kryloc
Member since 2003 • 2283 Posts

ps3 version looks more crisper.OGTiago

No need to say "more" and "er", Just more crisp will do. 

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

Does the 360 version have the new graphical update implemented or not? Doesn't look like it.

Anyway the colour difference may be attributed to the fact that the PS3 version has new shaders implemented because it's newer Bethesda managed to improve a few things with the game over the past year.

They look pretty similar though in all honesty. 

SoulKillah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 SoulKillah
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
The Ps3 version of Oblivion looks a lot crisper and fluid:D
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
I couldnt really tell but it looks like the PS3 version not only looks better,but has a better framerate.
gokurocks2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 gokurocks2442
Member since 2004 • 3371 Posts

blame it on 360's hardware!!

Oblivion is old on the xbox360! Tony hawk project 8 is better on the xbox360! Hell i could name lots of multi platform titles that are better on the xbox360 then ps3.

Oblivion was made on the xbox360 before ps3 meaning oblivion was shaped up by the devs

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

Oblivion is old on the xbox360! Tony hawk project 8 is better on the xbox360! Hell i could name lots of multi platform titles that are better on the xbox360 then ps3.

Oblivion was made on the xbox360 before ps3 meaning oblivion was shaped up by the devs

gokurocks2442
The point is...which looks better?Exactly,the PS3 version.:P
Tiago Fontana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tiago Fontana
Member since 2003 • 471 Posts

Time for lemming denial...!!!!

Bu bu buttt.. it has update!!!! 

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
Oblivion had more dev time on the PS3- but the update for the X360 evens things out
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

The last city that was in the trailer look much better on the 360 to me, the road didn't look flat and the colors seemed more realistic. On the other hand you have the environments, which look much better on the PS3, structures don't just pop in in pieces and the environments just look better, close up and far away.

I still think the PS3 version is too damn bright and doesn't have enough color. Then there is still that loading that the PS3 doesn't seem to have.

Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Timesplitter14
Member since 2006 • 5934 Posts
I noticed the 360 had to load areas and the PS3 didn't
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
it looks almost exactly the same kids. if anything, the ps3 version looks a little more washed out.
dirty_diaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dirty_diaz
Member since 2005 • 1193 Posts

finally, a multi-platform game that looks better on the ps3....dare i say it, but i think it looks 4D!!!

but i wonder which would look better if both were released at the same time..

jxditu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jxditu
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts
I noticed the 360 had to load areas and the PS3 didn'tTimesplitter14
probably because you have to install the most of the game on the hard drive.
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
i think some Bethesad people said themselves that PS3 version looks alittle better. althought it's probably just because of more dev time
rykaziel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rykaziel
Member since 2003 • 1149 Posts
PS3 version looks sharper and brighter. Was the shader update for 360 implemented or not? Just curious.
mattius1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 mattius1989
Member since 2003 • 1137 Posts
The only things I actually could pick out from that comparison clip is that the PS3 version has not got the same pop-in issues and "loading area" screens that the 360 had. But when a game is re-released a year later then theres is bound to be some form of improvement. So its not really suprising.
Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts
it looks almost exactly the same kids. if anything, the ps3 version looks a little more washed out.
ninjaxams
You must have been looking the other way around. You can clearly see that the textures in PS3 version were crisper than in the X-box 360 version. You could see the difference by watching the King' face.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

anyone else think that the King looks downright SCARY on the PS3 version due to the detail on his wrinkles?

DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
Oh sweet, are the 360 and PS3 version coming out on the same day?
dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dubvisions
Member since 2006 • 1815 Posts

gokurocks2442
That's completely false. I have seen Project 8 on both consoles and it looks way better on PS3. I've even had multiple 360 owners admit to it.
spidey008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 spidey008
Member since 2002 • 2309 Posts
I can't tell much of a difference.  I think that if I could see it in HD I may be able to tell more.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
PS3 version is marginally superior pre-update. Both are then more or less equal.
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
[QUOTE="ninjaxams"]it looks almost exactly the same kids. if anything, the ps3 version looks a little more washed out.
Supafly1
You must have been looking the other way around. You can clearly see that the textures in PS3 version were crisper than in the X-box 360 version. You could see the difference by watching the King' face.

not really. I think the only reason ppl are thinking that is because of the difference in shaders. the 360 version looks more vibrant and colorful, the ps3 versoin slightly more washed out and pasty. textures are gonna be easier to make out with the ps3 version because of that. I still think their close enough that no one here can really claim ownage.
A2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 A2D
Member since 2005 • 4658 Posts
The PS3 version has sharper textures, better distance textures and the difference in loading is incredible. I had no idea it was that bad on the 360, how did the 360 version get a 9.6, even better than the PC version?
raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
The PS3 version has less pop-up ang loading
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
i notice the 360 versio had bad pop up's. like that building that just popped out of no where.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

Time for lemming denial...!!!!

Bu bu buttt.. it has update!!!! 

Tiago Fontana
Denial? I don't think any lemming will deny the ps3 version will be better than the 360 version. It HAS been a year since we've played the game and all...and we're too busy getting Shivering Isles to care...
aceReborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 aceReborn
Member since 2004 • 340 Posts
The update for the 360 version was just released. 360 version looks a bit better than the ps3 version. (with better AA, lightning and textures)
lordseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lordseer
Member since 2004 • 4671 Posts

From what I saw the ps3 has crisper character models and a slightly better draw distance but once again the 360 enviorments look better and appears to have better texturing.

Also, the shield looks noticeably better on the ps3, while blocking.

jnhay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jnhay
Member since 2005 • 1171 Posts

I think everyone can agree that the ps3 isn't that much better, if at all.  The 360's lighting is better while the ps3 has less popups and looks very slightly sharper. 

Nothing about the ps3 version makes me feel like I'm missing out because I have the 360 version.  If I wanted a noticeably better experience I think I would have to buy the pc version with a good pc.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
The ps3 version looks a little bit better abd runs/loads a little bit better,but it's hardly anything to brag about
Avatar image for machitocaliente
machitocaliente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 machitocaliente
Member since 2007 • 832 Posts
both look and play horrible. the floor on the ps3 version looks like a ps2 game. FLAT. the floor on the 360 vers looks better but has poor filtering.
TheStatusQuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheStatusQuo
Member since 2004 • 4994 Posts

It looks the same.

Sadly though, in the case of system performance, and graphical quality,the game isn't better because it's running on the PS3 hardware, or because of the Nvidia GPU, but simply because the developers can easily sharpen, or choose an older png file and pick one with high texture resolution; that is, it was done originally during the time the Xbox360 version was being fitted and optimized.

Over-all I see no improvement; PC and the Xbox360 versions of Oblivion on my computer monitor were both of the same setting, in screen resolution-- considering that I updated my overall system hardware for my PC.

Either way, PS3 fans have little to brag about with the PS3 version. It is the same game.

If anything, it's a very weak argument that makes me laugh because PS3 fans are upset that their PS3 isn't concieveing games that are magically better in graphical clarity.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
The PS3 version look crisper, while the 360 version seemed to show brighter blooming in some areas.........
mouseguard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mouseguard
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I just wonder did they update the new patch? It had improved more on graphic!
Galantina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Galantina
Member since 2006 • 446 Posts

A very fair comparison by a guy who has all 3 versions (PC, PS3 and Xbox 360) of Oblivion.

Vsync / control :
I notice no tearing in either version, however, there is more input lag on the PS3 version. The lag feels about 75% worse (it's totally subjective however).

Jaggies :
PS3 has worse jaggies, but not by much. The PS3 version seems to have no AA, while the 360 version looks like 2xAA on a PC.

Bloom / HDR effects :
Best way to describe it is, 360 version seems to have more light bloom, with higher intensity of the colors. PS3 version has a more dynamic HDR effect, looking at a bright surface makes your 'eyes' adjust more than the 360 version.

Texture quality :
The textures are generally higher resolution on the 360. I'd say 80% of the textures are twice as good on the 360. The few textures that are better on the PS3 are the character textures and some objects, such as the little table in your cell at the beginning of the game.

Texture Filtering :
PS3 has an enormous edge here, looks more like 16xAF on a PC, more like no AF on the 360. This makes textures in the distance more clear.

Load times :
PS3 version is superior here. PS3 load times are about 40% faster. A 10 second load time on 360 is about 6 on PS3. A 40 second load time is about 25 on PS3. Stuff like that.

Lighting (not HDR) :
Lighting seems slightly better on the 360. One specific example is in the starting dungeon. The torch on the wall in your cell has a better effect on the 360. It waves around more, the PS3 version just pulses.

Framerate :
360 is the winner here. PS3 is all around slower 90% of the time. Sometimes it's just a few FPS, sometimes it's up to ~10fps, I'd say. The slowdowns on the 360 are worse on the PS3.

Sound :
PS3 version sounded more muffled, perhaps they compressed the audio. It's possible I'm wrong because the 360 itself is louder than the PS3 by far, so it was easier to hear the PS3 audio. Still, I'd say the PS3 audio sounds downsampled. Note, this doesn't count the music or voice, just the sound effects seem muffled.

LOD :
PS3 has no better LOD than the 360 version. There is no choppyness when moving around outside like on the 360, but it isn't pushed out any. Also, like many suspected, the 'LOD shader fix' is not much more than the little texture LOD fixes that users made for the PC version.

Both versions look VERY similar, but I would give a slight edge to the 360 version, simply for the better textures (for the most part). Load time differences wouldn't be noticeable if I weren't running both at the same time. The PS3 is nice and quiet, so you can pick up more sound details, but the sound itself sounds a bit muffled on the PS3.

I played some more of the PS3 version yesterday. Didn't really notice a lot new.

I had a single 'now loading' hiccup on the PS3 version. There was another time I saw 'now loading' but the framerate didn't skip at all.

I noticed that Bethesda really must have spent SOME time with the game. For example, there are a few new textures that aren't present in either the 360 or PC version. The patchy snow on the ground is WAY better artistically than it was. Still, a good 70-80% of the textures are downgraded. Some just look more compressed, others are blurrier and have less detail.

I started to feel that it was really the lighting and perhaps the jaggies which makes the game look worse overall. It's a strange thing. The game just feels less 'alive' and the walls feel more papery (as opposed to feeling more like the real objects). There's still specularity and normal mapping all the places it is in the 360 version, so I don't know why it feels this way.

The few better textures in the PS3 version really bug me. The textures look sharper in just a few places, and it makes the game look really uneven. There are areas of floor that are sharper than the 360 version and then on the same floor a few inches away blurrier than the 360 version.

Well, I'll tell you some places so that someone with a capable camera might be able to show :

Outside Bruma castle, near the statue is one of the 'new high res' textures vs. blurrier textures.

Outside the Chorrol Abbey, look right down in front of the door, better texture than 360.

The stool in the jail cell at the start of the game has a better texture.

For worse textures look at the fences all around Bravil, also the Mages' Guild (including the painting and flag thingy (for the guild, forget the correct name), all inside that guild. Also, the rocks in Bravil and many other objects look far worse.

The Mages' Guild sign in Skingrad and probably other places looks worse.

One thing that's also a bit better on the PS3 is the funny little reflection map on the glass objects (such as crystal balls) looks better than the 360 version and the same as the PC version. It's a REALLY small detail.

[edit : also, the patchy snow outside of Bruma, and also the rocks around there look to be remodeled and look better.]

[edit 2 : some of the trees around Bruma look worse (the speedtree 'leaves') on the PS3, I didn't really notice any of the nice fur ****'leaves' that are in the 360 version]

Oh yea, one thing I just remember that's pretty important.

I FINALLY saw what Bethesda was calling the LOD shader improvement. You know how stuff fades into view often on the 360 version? Well, the entire zone will blur into view on the PS3 (and presumably the patch coming to 360 soon). It IS a much better effect, instead of seeing a whole area pop in in front of you, the entire thing just fades in really smooth like.

Yeah i know a pretty long read, but a very interesting ;)

skyform
brilliant post. i have a 360 and not ps3, its not because i dont like the ps3 its simply because im 16 and so i dont have the money for a ps3. its nice to know my oblivion game looks just as good as the ps3 version.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts

ninjaxams

Ditto.  They looked nearly identical.

Avatar image for BillGates_Money
BillGates_Money

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BillGates_Money
Member since 2007 • 1200 Posts

A very fair comparison by a guy who has all 3 versions (PC, PS3 and Xbox 360) of Oblivion.

Vsync / control :
I notice no tearing in either version, however, there is more input lag on the PS3 version. The lag feels about 75% worse (it's totally subjective however).

Jaggies :
PS3 has worse jaggies, but not by much. The PS3 version seems to have no AA, while the 360 version looks like 2xAA on a PC.

Bloom / HDR effects :
Best way to describe it is, 360 version seems to have more light bloom, with higher intensity of the colors. PS3 version has a more dynamic HDR effect, looking at a bright surface makes your 'eyes' adjust more than the 360 version.

Texture quality :
The textures are generally higher resolution on the 360. I'd say 80% of the textures are twice as good on the 360. The few textures that are better on the PS3 are the character textures and some objects, such as the little table in your cell at the beginning of the game.

Texture Filtering :
PS3 has an enormous edge here, looks more like 16xAF on a PC, more like no AF on the 360. This makes textures in the distance more clear.

Load times :
PS3 version is superior here. PS3 load times are about 40% faster. A 10 second load time on 360 is about 6 on PS3. A 40 second load time is about 25 on PS3. Stuff like that.

Lighting (not HDR) :
Lighting seems slightly better on the 360. One specific example is in the starting dungeon. The torch on the wall in your cell has a better effect on the 360. It waves around more, the PS3 version just pulses.

Framerate :
360 is the winner here. PS3 is all around slower 90% of the time. Sometimes it's just a few FPS, sometimes it's up to ~10fps, I'd say. The slowdowns on the 360 are worse on the PS3.

Sound :
PS3 version sounded more muffled, perhaps they compressed the audio. It's possible I'm wrong because the 360 itself is louder than the PS3 by far, so it was easier to hear the PS3 audio. Still, I'd say the PS3 audio sounds downsampled. Note, this doesn't count the music or voice, just the sound effects seem muffled.

LOD :
PS3 has no better LOD than the 360 version. There is no choppyness when moving around outside like on the 360, but it isn't pushed out any. Also, like many suspected, the 'LOD shader fix' is not much more than the little texture LOD fixes that users made for the PC version.

Both versions look VERY similar, but I would give a slight edge to the 360 version, simply for the better textures (for the most part). Load time differences wouldn't be noticeable if I weren't running both at the same time. The PS3 is nice and quiet, so you can pick up more sound details, but the sound itself sounds a bit muffled on the PS3.

I played some more of the PS3 version yesterday. Didn't really notice a lot new.

I had a single 'now loading' hiccup on the PS3 version. There was another time I saw 'now loading' but the framerate didn't skip at all.

I noticed that Bethesda really must have spent SOME time with the game. For example, there are a few new textures that aren't present in either the 360 or PC version. The patchy snow on the ground is WAY better artistically than it was. Still, a good 70-80% of the textures are downgraded. Some just look more compressed, others are blurrier and have less detail.

I started to feel that it was really the lighting and perhaps the jaggies which makes the game look worse overall. It's a strange thing. The game just feels less 'alive' and the walls feel more papery (as opposed to feeling more like the real objects). There's still specularity and normal mapping all the places it is in the 360 version, so I don't know why it feels this way.

The few better textures in the PS3 version really bug me. The textures look sharper in just a few places, and it makes the game look really uneven. There are areas of floor that are sharper than the 360 version and then on the same floor a few inches away blurrier than the 360 version.

Well, I'll tell you some places so that someone with a capable camera might be able to show :

Outside Bruma castle, near the statue is one of the 'new high res' textures vs. blurrier textures.

Outside the Chorrol Abbey, look right down in front of the door, better texture than 360.

The stool in the jail cell at the start of the game has a better texture.

For worse textures look at the fences all around Bravil, also the Mages' Guild (including the painting and flag thingy (for the guild, forget the correct name), all inside that guild. Also, the rocks in Bravil and many other objects look far worse.

The Mages' Guild sign in Skingrad and probably other places looks worse.

One thing that's also a bit better on the PS3 is the funny little reflection map on the glass objects (such as crystal balls) looks better than the 360 version and the same as the PC version. It's a REALLY small detail.

[edit : also, the patchy snow outside of Bruma, and also the rocks around there look to be remodeled and look better.]

[edit 2 : some of the trees around Bruma look worse (the speedtree 'leaves') on the PS3, I didn't really notice any of the nice fur ****'leaves' that are in the 360 version]

Oh yea, one thing I just remember that's pretty important.

I FINALLY saw what Bethesda was calling the LOD shader improvement. You know how stuff fades into view often on the 360 version? Well, the entire zone will blur into view on the PS3 (and presumably the patch coming to 360 soon). It IS a much better effect, instead of seeing a whole area pop in in front of you, the entire thing just fades in really smooth like.

Yeah i know a pretty long read, but a very interesting ;)

skyform
nice post.....
Avatar image for GermanShepard06
GermanShepard06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GermanShepard06
Member since 2006 • 3285 Posts

x360 gpu: 24bit color

ps3 gpu: 32bit color

even with pc's all dx 8 and 9 gpu's from ati had 24bit color color blending.

rune-c1nd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rune-c1nd3r
Member since 2006 • 193 Posts

[QUOTE="OGTiago"]ps3 version looks more crisper.kryloc

No need to say "more" and "er", Just more crisp will do.

The English being used on this site is appalling.
MCGSMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MCGSMB
Member since 2007 • 2149 Posts
Let's wait for the 360 patch to come out alright..?
aceReborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 aceReborn
Member since 2004 • 340 Posts

x360 gpu: 24bit color

ps3 gpu: 32bit color

even with pc's all dx 8 and 9 gpu's from ati had 24bit color color blending.

GermanShepard06
Makes sense since all display panels (even the latest 1080p lcds) can only do 24 bit colour (8 bits each for green, red and blue). There are screens in witch the display electronics can process more than 24 bits, but the panel can still only do 24.
Merek16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Merek16
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts
i like the lighting on the 360 version, same as the color, but thats prolly cuz im use to it, but overall, the PS3 version looks crisper, textures look more defined, and looks like it plays fluidly
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
[QUOTE="Timesplitter14"]I noticed the 360 had to load areas and the PS3 didn'tjxditu
probably because you have to install the most of the game on the hard drive.

I didn't do that...I'm going to try it now.
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
i like the lighting on the 360 version, same as the color, but thats prolly cuz im use to it, but overall, the PS3 version looks crisper, textures look more defined, and looks like it plays fluidlyMerek16
Much less Pop-ups,on the PS3 too.
mestizoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 mestizoman
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts
Oblivion had more dev time on the PS3- but the update for the X360 evens things outCwlHeddwyn
doesnt the patch only patch the far away textures?
Uzburacuz9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Uzburacuz9
Member since 2007 • 712 Posts
The Ps3 version of Oblivion looks a lot crisper and fluid:DSoulKillah
yeap yeap. def. the crispest of the 2. :lol: