NPR praises The Last of Us storytelling

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45262 Posts

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2015/04/28/402741863/why-video-games-matter?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150428

Human beings are storytellers. This basic, constant instinct is evident throughout history — from creation narratives told around the night's fire to Greek playwrights to the first novels to the flickering images of early motion pictures.

What has changed, though, is how we tell stories. Each of our technologies, from the printing press to celluloid film, has opened up revolutionary new possibilities that have fundamentally altered the way stories can be told. That revolutionary role of technology is at work again now, and it's why we should be paying attention to video games.

Yes, video games.

To convince you of this claim, I would like to present my "Exhibit A" for "Why Video Games Matter": A truly remarkable piece of work called The Last of Us.

But, let's get a few things out of the way first. I am relatively new to gaming, having begun just five years ago. That is when I finally relented and bought my then-15-year-old son a PS3. So, if you are a long-time gamer, you will likely find these musings old news. Feel free to complain in the comments.

The point is that, for many folks, "video game" still doesn't conjure up anything considered worthwhile. For them, it's all mindless first-person shooters and endless virtual carnage. So, if you think, "Video games, ugh!," then I want just a few minutes of your time.

One last thing: There are spoilers up ahead. Big ones. I am basically going to tell you how the story of The Last of Us ends to illustrate why video games can be so revolutionary. If you want to play the game at some point, you might want to stop right here.

So, what's the big deal?

The Last of Us belongs to a time-honored story genre. It's a post-apocalypse narrative. The story begins in the present with the outbreak of a pandemic that destroys the minds of the "infected" — turning them into violent zombies. We then jump ahead to 20 years later, after the weight of the pandemic has left the nation in ruins. Just a handful of cities are left maintaining protected quarantine zones. These are run by a military (all that's left of the government) that has imposed a much-hated martial law.

Yes, it sounds familiar — and I am sure you think you've seen and heard it all before. After all, when it comes to the zombie apocalypse, there's the film 28 Days Later, the book and movie World War Z and, of course, the much discussed graphic novel and TV show The Walking Dead.

So, as I said, what's the big deal?

Because The Last of Us is a video game, it can do something utterly remarkable that other storytelling forms can't. The brilliance of this game is the way it takes the tropes of the standard post-apocalypse narrative and both unpacks them in new ways and hijacks them for its own ends.

The story The Last of Us tells is the journey, both real and metaphorical, of Joel and Ellie. Joel is a weary but survival-hardened, 49-year-old, black-market smuggler. We first meet him in our present as the chaos of the infection is just starting. The game begins with his daughter dying in his arms after being shot by a soldier. Ellie is a teenage girl, born after the infection has destroyed society, who ends up placed in Joel's charge. Her recently discovered immunity to the infection offers a last hope that a vaccine might still be possible. Joel, and his partner-in-crime Tess, are given the task of getting Ellie across the nation's broken landscape to the last laboratory of the Fireflies, a group that opposes martial law and still believes a cure is possible. After Tess dies at the beginning of their journey to the Firefly lab, the main arc of the narrative begins following Joel as he comes to terms with the presence of this girl, so much like his daughter, in his life.

Using that relationship's evolution to animate the actual cross-country trek from Boston to Salt Lake City allows The Last of Us to do something with the classic post-apocalyptic narrative that other stories haven't. While there are lots of battles with zombies and humans alike, it's the emotional tone of the game that stands out. The Last of Us, more than anything else, is overwhelmingly sad.

Like Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which the game is often compared to, the world ofThe Last of Us seems irreparably broken. Over and over again, in subtle ways only a game can allow, we are forced to face this fog of grief. A penetrating book or movie would have its own language for revealing that sadness, but what The Last of Us does is exploit the mechanics of gaming in a way that makes us explore that emotional landscape firsthand.

Many games ask you to find and collect stuff as you progress through the story (money, new weapons, etc). But in The Last of Us, the breakdown of society meansyou have to scavenge. But it also means you spend a lot of time moving through empty neighborhoods and empty houses. You wander through bedrooms and living rooms full of the things people left. These familiar yet fallen spaces are rendered with a beauty that becomes transportive. The spare cords of Gustavo Santaolalla's score also holds the game's sober tone (he was composer who did the haunting music forBrokeback Mountain). Thus along with the usual gameplay (which can be pretty violent and scary), there also comes this remarkable and unexpected meditation on loss at scale we usually can't touch.

But the most stunning feature of this game is its ending. As the game progresses, Ellie becomes a full-fledged partner in the battle for survival (for one whole segment the player controls Ellie after Joel is almost killed). As the story unfolds, Joel slowly seems to find a place for his grief. His bond with Ellie seems to bring a kind of awakening and peace to this man who has done terrible things. Finally finding the Fireflies, it seems that, yes, Ellie does hold the key to a cure. Perhaps there can be redemption for humanity. But, then, we discover that the price for extracting this cure is Ellie's death.

It's here that the usual tropes should kick in. At first Joel rejects Ellie's fate and fights desperately to take her back from the Fireflies. As we navigate through the final battle, we are shown, in various ways, that there is really no choice. The tragedy of Ellie's death is the only means to save the rest of us. And we also know, having spend so much time with Ellie (I was in the game for 37 hours total) that — more than anyone else — she would have understood and been willing to make the sacrifice. Thus, we expect that ending and we expect Joel to finally understand, too.

Instead, the game makes us kill the doctors.

In the harrowing crescendo, this character who we thought was a hero, (making us, as players, the heroes, too), turns out to be a monster. The game forces us to become the agent though which Joel violently destroys the only hope left for the world.

It's in this way that The Last of Us illustrates something truly radical that's inherent to the technologies of video-game storytelling. The game convinces us that, as players, Joel's story is our story. Instead, we find that we never really understood this man. We never understood the toll his survival had taken on him. We could not see how deeply his grief had destroyed his humanity.

As I played through these last few moments, I was stunned. For all the books and movies and TV shows and plays I have seen, here was a something truly new, truly novel. I was being shown something that only recently became possible.

Now, I am not so much of a fan-boy to miss the fact that The Last of Us still lives in an often male-dominated video game universe — replete with the usual virtual mayhem. And there is enough of this mayhem to keep The Last of Us from truly being a portal to a bright, new world where everyone games in the same way that everyone watches TV. But, by brilliantly co-opting the new mechanics of video game story telling for its own ends, The Last of Us does illuminate the contours of what that world may look like.

Pretty interesting article, considering NPR is a non-gaming news website. Do you think videos game have finally made it as a story telling medium, SW? I think The Last of Us is a great example. As much flack as video games can get for being cinematic, I think it has also opened up games to a wider audience.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

Good article, and I agree with his assessment.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm usually really vocal against story driven games, but The Last of Us works and it works really well. excellent game.

The gameplay and the story go hand in hand and when the game starts to make you feel the way the characters do, it hits a home run (shout outs to winter).

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

WTF is NPR? And why the hell should we care?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Never heard of the game.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44147 Posts

NPR, pukes. nuff said.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Gamerno6666: NPR is a public radio station that's one of the most respected out there.

Why should you care, well, why'd you post?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56225 Posts

Awesome game, awesome story, awesome characters development, and awesome gameplay.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Dat ND power!

---

In all seriousness, I agree that it's an excellent example of how to make story-based games work.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

pretty good for a flop

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

More accolades for Naughty God's top 5 GOAT...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

It's good to see a great game get the recognition it deserves.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lostrib

Although 37 hours? that is quite a long playthrough

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

good read.

yeah, i agree. This is one of those rare games were you actually feel a connection with the characters.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9868 Posts

@lostrib said:

Yeah that can't be correct?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:
@lostrib said:

Yeah that can't be correct?

For someone who likely isn't used to playing games and (assumingly) didn't use any sort of guides, I can see him taking that long. "Veteran" players do a lot of things intuitively out of their own playing experience that "newcomers" don't.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

I dont agree with the writer's assessment of the ending.

I never felt like Joel was a monster. He wasn't just killing the Doctors and what not for fun and just to spite humanity. He was doing it because he truly loved Ellie, and felt that her life was worth more than a cure. Whether or not it was the right choice is up to you, but I think its unfair to label him a monster. Also, I would have loved for the ending to be a choice. You could let Ellie die or you could fight to get her back. I think that would really raise up the emotional impact. By the end of the game, the player has grown to love Ellie (well at least I did), and has a real connection with her. It would have been a great move to give the player the choice of whether or not to let her die.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@II_Seraphim_II said:

I never felt like Joel was a monster. He wasn't just killing the Doctors and what not for fun and just to spite humanity. He was doing it because he truly loved Ellie, and felt that her life was worth more than a cure. Whether or not it was the right choice is up to you, but I think its unfair to label him a monster. Also, I would have loved for the ending to be a choice. You could let Ellie die or you could fight to get her back. I think that would really raise up the emotional impact. By the end of the game, the player has grown to love Ellie (well at least I did), and has a real connection with her. It would have been a great move to give the player the choice of whether or not to let her die.

To me, that's the genius of it. It's topical and controversial. To this day, we can still have a dialogue about the game. It made the story meaningful, because we can ask ourselves "what if?" without it being spoon-fed to us. That, at least to me, is the mark of brilliant story-telling.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Naughty Gods racking up even more acclaim and accolades for the defining game of last generation.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

A derivative story well told i'd say. Very well told in fact. I was more impressed in the gameplay action segments. It was good stuff.

@Shewgenja said:

I think this game could never ever be mentioned again on this planet and the cosmos and it will still have more recognicion than any game deserves. It was hyped to untold levels. Thus the artificially high metacritic score.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostrib

@quadknight: how was it the defining game of last gen?

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@lostrib said:

pretty good for a flop

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@davillain- said:

Awesome game, awesome story, awesome characters development, and awesome gameplay.

True, true, true and true.

ND nailed it with TLOU, best flop they've ever made.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Good game. Good story although VERY predictable. But damn it was overhyped.. in MY opinion the story or gameplay are nowhere near as what many claim it to be. I don't think I had ever seen something so blown out of proportion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@II_Seraphim_II said:

Throughout the entire game, it is heavily implied that Joel was a terrible person in the past. Him dooming humanity is the peak of his awfulness. Honestly, The only reason people sympathise with Joel at the end is because they make the fireflies out to be total dicks for no reason. If they depicted the Fireflies to be thankful and rewarding, then the ending of this game would probably be a lot more impactful. I know people love Ellie, but it definitely wasn't the right choice to destroy humanity. Joel is basically a broken person, and he would do anything to fulfill his selfish desires in the end.

I think giving the player a choice would sort of miss the point of the ending. You play as Joel, but that doesn't mean he is your character. Your're experiencing his journey, but you don't have control over his desires and reactions.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@lostrib said:

@quadknight: how was it the defining game of last gen?

the real question is, how was it not?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Definitely one of the best story-telling games out there... makes me want to play it again!

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

So a bunch of non gamers like it?

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Hilarious how long cows will cling to an 8/10

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#31 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@inb4uall: hilarious how non ps owning fan boys are still butthurt over this so called "flop"

It must of did something right.. (oh yeah 200+ 9+/10 scores and goty awards except from hit baiting mcshea spot.)

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Amazing game

I wish Naughty Dog would quit fucking around with Uncharted and make new, amazing stuff like TLOU.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Midnightshade29:

lololol never thought about it like that. Being butthurt over a flop... Interesting. I think it says something powerful.

@darkangel115 said:

And a bunch of reviewers, gamers and developers too based on all the awards, scores and praise that it receives, don't you think?

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Midnightshade29: Lol @ the damage control. This is Sw. Only GameSpot scores matter here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

It's a good game, good story, good pacing, one of my favs for the PS3 system...the ONLY decent exclusive the PS exclusive line up has. And probably the ONLY decent exclusive Cowturds can cling to.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostrib

@Midnightshade29: the floppage is real

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Agreed, it's a great movie.

@Gue1 8.0

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

@inb4uall: hilarious how non ps owning fan boys are still butthurt over this so called "flop"

It must of did something right.. (oh yeah 200+ 9+/10 scores and goty awards except from hit baiting mcshea spot.)

It's by far my favourite ND game, it's up there with Bloodborne as one of my favourite games this gen and obviously i own a PS4. But dude, it flopped on GS, deal with it.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

I was kind of thinking the same thing.

Anyway, the game is lame.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jankarcop

@CountBleck12 said:
@darkangel115 said:

That's who these movie-games are designed for though, to be fair.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib

@Jankarcop said:

@Gue1 8.0

have you even played it?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Myabe Druckman will right now write a story that isn't about a cliche mc in a cliche setting.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jankarcop

@lostrib said:
@Jankarcop said:

@Gue1 8.0

have you even played it?

Yeah, on youtube.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#44 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

One of the greatest flops of our time.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lostrib

@Jankarcop said:
@lostrib said:
@Jankarcop said:

@Gue1 8.0

have you even played it?

Yeah, on youtube.

do you even play games?

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BobRossPerm
@deadline-zero0 said:

Myabe Druckman will right now write a story that isn't about a cliche mc in a cliche setting.

The story is derivative if you read the plot. But it tells the story in a masterful way. There's just no two ways about it.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BobRossPerm
@Jankarcop said:
@lostrib said:
@Jankarcop said:

@Gue1 8.0

have you even played it?

Yeah, on youtube.

Hahaha.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@II_Seraphim_II said:

I completely agree. I was going to leave a comment on NPR as well. It's the most human thing Joel could have done.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Jankarcop said:
@CountBleck12 said:
@darkangel115 said:

That's who these movie-games are designed for though, to be fair.

that's sad but explains a lot.

thr1llh0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 thr1llh0us
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

@inb4uall said:

Hilarious how long cows will cling to an 8/10