NOOOOOOOOOO! Nintendo Have Totally Lost It

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts

I mean, look at the 3DS: it is the complete antithesis of everything a Nintendo handheld is supposed to be. Just let's think about it. Nintendo handhelds are supposed to be economically priced, low powered, get unique games tailor made for pick up and play handheld sessions, and finally, they are supposed to have great battery lives.

Now let's look at the 3DS...

We have a handheld that is priced higher than Nintendo's home console (and don't give me that 'only in Japan excuse... even if we consider ONLY Japan, in Japan, the 3DS IS pricier than the Wii)

A handheld that is quite high on power under the hood

A handheld that is getting loads of console ports

And now, finally, a handheld that has been confirmed to not have the battery life of the DS.

I mean, WTF? People used to rag on the PSP... and now the 3DS is making the exact same mistakes, down to the low battery life, the console ports and the single analog input?

Now, I love the 3DS, and I'm looking forward to it. But I can't help but feel that, this time, Nintendo have truly lost their way.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
I'm hoping they will make the battery more efficient with later models, so I will wait for a purchase.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Not having the same as the DS Phat? That had longer battery life than the DS Lite, now which is it? Just curious.... Anyway, If it will last me a day and not a week, that's fine. I mean... I could get a good 2-3 days solid off my DS lite, but if my 3DS will have it down to a single days use, that's fine. I'm imagining they mean it won't last from 9-14 hours which I think the DS had, but if it's 6-8 or so, that's not too bad. I'm also betting the wi-fi thing they have going on is what's really killing the battery.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Im sure if the 3D is turned off the battery lasts a good while.

Edit: OH SNAP! 6000 posts!

Didnt celebrate the 5000.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Whoa, whoa, my friend... calm down, and chill... Look, you, like everyone else, are overreacting. - The 3DS's price STILL ISN'T KNOWN. For all you know, it's priced $199 in the States, so stop panicking and speculating, won't you? - It's a powerful handheld relative to its predecessors, but it's still quite weak, made only with off the shelf technology that is in fact quite old. In other words, it is like every Nintendo handheld before it. - It's getting tons of console ports, and yet, at the same time, it's getting loads of handheld games as well, including stuff like Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Mario Kart and Professor Layton. Again, stop with the panic. -Hello, the battery life has been confirmed to not be as good as the DS... which DS? The DS Lite, which had a batery life touching 0 hours, or the DSi, which had 11 hours? Even if we take the worst case scenario, is ten hours of battery life on a single charge really that bad? Really, guys should just stop freaking out. It's always the same, people doubt Nintendo, until, of curse, the hardware releases and becomes a total success, when everybody denies ever having doubted Nintendo in the first place.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

We'll just have to see how this launch plays out, now won't we? :twisted:

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

It's always the same, people doubt Nintendo, until, of curse, the hardware releases and becomes a total success, when everybody denies ever having doubted Nintendo in the first place.charizard1605

Nintendo Hardware isn't exactly batting 1.000 you know. They've had major disappointments both in the console and portable arenas before.

Just sayin'... Let's not pretend Nintendo is immune from flopping.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
More people overreacting, eh.
ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts
Kind of sad that a simple battery can crash and burn some of a guy's fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]It's always the same, people doubt Nintendo, until, of curse, the hardware releases and becomes a total success, when everybody denies ever having doubted Nintendo in the first place.santoron

Nintendo Hardware isn't exactly batting 1.000 you know. They've had major disappointments both in the console and portable arenas before.

I can understand several of nintendo's consoles being labelled as relative 'failures,' but which nintendo handheld has EVER been disappointing?
narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts
the gamecube have some power actually resident evil zero have really nice graphics
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
but which nintendo handheld has EVER been disappointing?charizard1605
The Micro is pretty disappointing.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]but which nintendo handheld has EVER been disappointing?OreoMilkshake

The Micro is another model sp, how can you call the sp disappointing :|.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]but which nintendo handheld has EVER been disappointing?OreoMilkshake

That's actually a matter of (a minority's) opinion, and it's only a revision to an existing handheld to boot. My point still stands, can anyone here name a single nintendo portable that has actually been disappointing?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

[QUOTE="santoron"]

charizard1605

I can understand several of nintendo's consoles being labelled as relative 'failures,' but which nintendo handheld has EVER been disappointing?

I think he means the Virtual Boy.

bubbleyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 bubbleyz
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts

dont overreact dude....

i mean the 3ds IS a heandheld that has unbelievable wifi and CONTROLLABLE 3d to 2d with the 2 cameras that take 3d photos i mean its not fair for u to say that it should have a very long battery life... it is a handheld afterall

the price is unknown so ull just have to w8 and watever price it gets is probably gnna equal the value of the 3ds's enjoyment

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]but which nintendo handheld has EVER been disappointing?SapSacPrime

The Micro isn't backwards compatible. That's why.
Bladex2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bladex2k
Member since 2003 • 2755 Posts
deepika is hooooot
uLOokFunNY2mE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uLOokFunNY2mE
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts

ummmm when did you notice this,was the nintendo wii not your first clue?

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
I wouldn't say PS2-like graphics are "high on power"..
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
I will probably hold out for the 3DS-slim..or whatever they want to call it to be announced 6 months out of the gate.
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts

uLOokFunNY2mE
Er, what has that got to do with anything he said?
uLOokFunNY2mE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 uLOokFunNY2mE
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts

[QUOTE="uLOokFunNY2mE"]

ithilgore2006

topic title

destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts
I've been feeling this too. I think Nintendo is not thinking long-term with the 3DS. The 3D Screen is not enough to differentiate their product from the competition. Nintendo handhelds have always prided themselves on their long battery lives. The 3DS should not be any different. Nintendo need to cut the amount of profit they earn from each 3DS and add a bigger battery. With the impending announcement of the PSP2, the already hostile market coupled with the fact that Nintendo is going against some of their own tried and true two decade-old handheld philosophy, I think the future of the handheld gaming market is more open ended then we are led on to believe.
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts

[QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="uLOokFunNY2mE"]

uLOokFunNY2mE

topic title

Making the biggest selling and most successful home console in their history is "losing their minds"?
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Everything gets casualized to make more money.....
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]but which nintendo handheld has EVER been disappointing?charizard1605

That's actually a matter of (a minority's) opinion, and it's only a revision to an existing handheld to boot. My point still stands, can anyone here name a single nintendo portable that has actually been disappointing?

Virtual Boy.
destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]The Micro is pretty disappointing.Arach666

Virtual Boy.

The Virtual Boy was a hybrid handheld-console. You couldn't move while playing it. Which brings about the question, have you even seen a Virtual Boy?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]That's actually a matter of (a minority's) opinion, and it's only a revision to an existing handheld to boot. My point still stands, can anyone here name a single nintendo portable that has actually been disappointing? destroyerHHH

Virtual Boy.

The Virtual Boy was a hybrid handheld-console. You couldn't move while playing it. Which brings about the question, have you even seen a Virtual Boy?

It was intended to be portable with the release of a head strap, but it was never released because the VB bombed so badly.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] That's actually a matter of (a minority's) opinion, and it's only a revision to an existing handheld to boot. My point still stands, can anyone here name a single nintendo portable that has actually been disappointing? destroyerHHH

Virtual Boy.

I am fully aware of what a virtual boy is,I was already a teenager when it released. I played as well,although the only thing I remember is that the damn graphics were all red or something.

It was intended to be an handheld(portable),have you seen the comercials back in the day? Because I did.

Don´t make assumptions like that ,I´m not a kid that started playing this gen.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Whoa, whoa, my friend... calm down, and chill... Look, you, like everyone else, are overreacting. - The 3DS's price STILL ISN'T KNOWN. For all you know, it's priced $199 in the States, so stop panicking and speculating, won't you? - It's a powerful handheld relative to its predecessors, but it's still quite weak, made only with off the shelf technology that is in fact quite old. In other words, it is like every Nintendo handheld before it. - It's getting tons of console ports, and yet, at the same time, it's getting loads of handheld games as well, including stuff like Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Mario Kart and Professor Layton. Again, stop with the panic. -Hello, the battery life has been confirmed to not be as good as the DS... which DS? The DS Lite, which had a batery life touching 0 hours, or the DSi, which had 11 hours? Even if we take the worst case scenario, is ten hours of battery life on a single charge really that bad? Really, guys should just stop freaking out. It's always the same, people doubt Nintendo, until, of curse, the hardware releases and becomes a total success, when everybody denies ever having doubted Nintendo in the first place.charizard1605
-Well the 3DS price is known in Japan, and it is indeed more expensive than the Wii there. Just because Japan isn't North America, doesn't make the pricing there irrelevant to the console wars.

-If the battery life was really only a single hour less than the DSi, I sincerely doubt Iwata would have even mentioned it. As they said, '"This is why we are going to include the cradle, which is a dedicated battery charger. Perhaps we may need to dispatch to our consumers a message, something like, 'Please place your Nintendo 3DS on the cradle as soon as you return home with it'."'

I don't think Nintendo would be going on about it to their investors, much less bundling a cradle with the system, if it wasn't a really noticeable decrease...

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

PSP2 will steal the hype from the 3DS, at least in America. Mark my words.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
I don't have a PSP or anything, but does it really get alot of "console ports"? I know it gets some games like God of War, Killzone, Resistance, Ratchet etc that have been console staples. But most of the games themselves were designed specifically for the PSP. I.e. Killzone on PSP suddenly becomes a top down shooter. I guess you could count some of the RPG's (Persona series, Final Fantasy) that have been "ported" to PSP. But those games seem to be right up a portable's ally, and to me at least it seems like the regular DS was already getting those ports as well (nevermind Mario 64 DS, New Super Mario Bros DS and the like).. If anything its' the Wii (and late in life PS2) that are receiving "portable ports", than the other way around.
stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts

Im sure if the 3D is turned off the battery lasts a good while.

Edit: OH SNAP! 6000 posts!

Didnt celebrate the 5000.

Shirokishi_

Wait till 10k, then have a party at OT, we'll be waiting. :P

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

If later models have better batteries I'll just trade the old one in.

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#37 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
Well, Nintendo is doing something right if I'm interested in a Nintendo system this gen :P. I mean, I never would've thought that I'd be this pumped for something Nintendo made! :o
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26112 Posts

[QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="uLOokFunNY2mE"]

uLOokFunNY2mE

topic title

Considering what happened this gen, it was the other two that totally 'lost it'.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]but which nintendo handheld has EVER been disappointing?SapSacPrime

That hasn't stopped almost every Nintendo fanboy from bashing the PSPGo.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Stop panicing, So what if the battery life is an hour or two shorter, not to mention, what Iwata probably meant was "please charge your 3DS at the end of the day if you have been playing it all day (who even plays their current DS all day?) and if your 3DS is in stand by mode (which is when it will be looking for Wifi hot spots with out asking you) all day long. Nintendo is expecting that we will be usingthe 3DSmore than we have ever used any handheld before. But of course that is for Japan (people really close to each other). While here in America, we will have our 3DS on while we are playing it (duh, for 30 mins to a few hours) then we close it with stand by mode on (tagmode, w/e you like to call it) and we go to Mcdonals or the mall or a spot to hang with friends for a few hours. Then we go home and check to see if the 3DS had picked up any new data, we spend about 10 minutes (if nothing really interesting happened) to 20 minutes. Then we close the 3DS and put it on to its cradle and go play console games and other stuff not related to gaming. You see therefor it doesnt matter that it's battery life is a bit shorter. Its not like we turn it on, play a game and 3 hours into the game the 3DS all of a sudden turns off on us and OHNO we forgot to save. Relax, really.

Also, I see the cradle as a good thing, with the current DS's we play it fora bit for 1-3 days before we notice that red lite, so you go to charge it. Okay so what? What happens inbetween the playing time? Hasnt anyone lost their DS system (misplaced it) before? With the cradle, you will know where the 3DS is every day you wake up.

J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts

the 3DS is not very powerfull at all, yeah it has a weee bit better grapihcs than the PSP but then again it should have better graphics than the PSP considering the fact that the PSP is using tech from 03-04. The 3DS is not that bigg of a jump from the PSP, yeah its impresive that it can do (very limited) 3D without glasses, but take out the 3D and what do we have? (just 2 DS duck taped together)

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Scoob64
Member since 2008 • 2635 Posts

I mean, look at the 3DS: it is the complete antithesis of everything a Nintendo handheld is supposed to be. Just let's think about it. Nintendo handhelds are supposed to be economically priced, low powered, get unique games tailor made for pick up and play handheld sessions, and finally, they are supposed to have great battery lives.

Now let's look at the 3DS...

We have a handheld that is priced higher than Nintendo's home console (and don't give me that 'only in Japan excuse... even if we consider ONLY Japan, in Japan, the 3DS IS pricier than the Wii)

A handheld that is quite high on power under the hood

A handheld that is getting loads of console ports

And now, finally, a handheld that has been confirmed to not have the battery life of the DS.

I mean, WTF? People used to rag on the PSP... and now the 3DS is making the exact same mistakes, down to the low battery life, the console ports and the single analog input?

Now, I love the 3DS, and I'm looking forward to it. But I can't help but feel that, this time, Nintendo have truly lost their way.

crippled_ram

thats quite a deep gaming opinion for such a pretty girl... oh wait, thats not you in that picture?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
Actually hardware wise its quite weak. Sure it has 2 Cpus's but those are only 260mhz where as modern smartphones have Cpu's in the 800-1200Mhz range with dual core Cpus 1-1,2ghz on smartphones coming early 2011 ( heck even my ancient Nokia N82 has a 370mhz Cpu) Then Ram wise its only 64mb were as a typical smartphone has 256 mb ( again heck my nokia n82 has 128mb which its left with 90mb free after OS ) Let alone the graphics card which is an older design with a 133mhz Gpu clock ( highly disappointed ) I dont get why people say 3ds is powerfull
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The PSP proved that people want console ports on a handheld. Nintendo is just responding in kind.

K-76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 K-76
Member since 2010 • 129 Posts

The 3D feature on this handheld will be a fail. People will turn it off after the novelty runs out.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

if the 3ds does console port like the psp did, then i might change my mind and actually buy one

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

It's called great tech quality, something us Sony people are used to. You'll get used to it to Nintendo people, just get into the water slowly. LOL

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#48 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

uh, Nintendo is putting their foot down.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]It's always the same, people doubt Nintendo, until, of curse, the hardware releases and becomes a total success, when everybody denies ever having doubted Nintendo in the first place.santoron

maaaaaaaany more successes than flops. imjussayin!
jessmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jessmaster13
Member since 2009 • 3170 Posts

I think what he means is that they want people to have their 3DS on sleep mode all day so they can use StreetPass...I don't know thats just my theory.