Nintendo's Stock Rises On Rumors Of 3DS Revision

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

""Nintendo's been having a tough time lately. The Wii has apparently passed its sales climax and the 3DS was slow getting out of the gate. Management is under pressure to create another success, leading to a drastic price cut on the 3DS just months after launch.

Well, things may be looking up, as Nintendo's stock has risen around 9.7 percent in the past day. The reason? Bloomberg Japan (translated by Andriasang) is reporting that Nintendo will have a 3DS-centric announcement on September 13, just prior to the Tokyo Game Show.

Rumors are flying that the topic of this announcement is a hardware revision for the recently-released portable. French game site 01net, who has previously reported on Wii U and Vita rumors later proven correct, has said that the new hardware will include additional control options and a decreased 3D focus. According to the site's anonymous source, Nintendo is looking to release a new 3DS unit in 2012 with a second analog stick. This unit will "radically tone down" the system's 3D features, with a possible rebranding.

The company is also considering an add-on that will add a second analog stick to the system. Nintendo's engineers having been working on the add-on, hoping to sell the unit for around $10.

Nintendo is reaching out to developers to make games for the system, but third parties remain disgruntled with Nintendo. The source reported that there is a lengthy waiting list for the 3DS dev kits almost six months after launch. To increase production, the development of new kits has been moved from the internal Intelligent Systems branch to Tokyo Electric and Marubeni.

A new hardware revision could significantly anger users who are already incensed that the system has already had a deep price cut. If the rumor's true could Nintendo spin it in a positive light?""

Link: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/nintendos-stock-rises-on-rumors-of-pre-tgs-announcement/

Those are some bad news for the 3DS......no reason to buy a 3DS anymore for me if that is true.I will wait for the new and better model.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

New models are released all the time. Hard to find someone who wouldn't see this coming; probably not so soon, admit, but it was coming.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

I wouldn't mind a 3DS revision since i was waiting for one and God knows that it will eventually come despite what they said, but i think this rumors are nothing but rumors, i don't see Nintendo announcing it this year, maybe next year at E3, but not now, the peripheral, maybe, but not the Revision.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#4 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
A revision just might be what the 3DS needs. It really helped the DS when the PSP was catching up. That and Mario Kart.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Right now the market is highly volatile and the movement of most stocks has little to do with the companies and more to do with the over all shift in the market. I would say this means nothing and seeing as it's back down today...well again...means nothing.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Nintendo will notice that, hopefully the revision will address battery life and 2nd thumb stick.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Among all these dumb rumours, only GiantBomb had the best headline that could describe this and the 3DS event.

Prepare for Stupid Rumours, As Nintendo Schedules Fall 3DS Event.

Any revision announced now or anytime soon would mean Nintendo is spending more money on hardware. Waste of time, waste of money, especially as the current 3DS model selling at a loss. The current plan is fine - price drop now, content in the Holiday = it'll push units.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Among all these dumb rumours, only GiantBomb had the best headline that could describe this and the 3DS event.

Prepare for Stupid Rumours, As Nintendo Schedules Fall 3DS Event.

Any revision announced now or anytime soon would mean Nintendo is spending more money on hardware. Waste of time, waste of money, especially as the current 3DS model selling at a loss. The current plan is fine - price drop now, content in the Holiday = it'll push units.

Haziqonfire

More over why would Nintendo announce before the Holiday that a "better" 3DS is coming? That means they would sell next to no 3DS's over the Holiday season which would also affect 1st and 3rd party software sales. :?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Nothing more than a stupid rumor. The DS Lite took a year or so before it was announced and released. Nintendo sure as hell isn't gonna do that only months after it came out. They better upgrade our 3DS units for free if they do!

jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jonathant5
Member since 2010 • 873 Posts

""Nintendo's been having a tough time lately. The Wii has apparently passed its sales climax and the 3DS was slow getting out of the gate. Management is under pressure to create another success, leading to a drastic price cut on the 3DS just months after launch.

Well, things may be looking up, as Nintendo's stock has risen around 9.7 percent in the past day. The reason? Bloomberg Japan (translated by Andriasang) is reporting that Nintendo will have a 3DS-centric announcement on September 13, just prior to the Tokyo Game Show.

Rumors are flying that the topic of this announcement is a hardware revision for the recently-released portable. French game site 01net, who has previously reported on Wii U and Vita rumors later proven correct, has said that the new hardware will include additional control options and a decreased 3D focus. According to the site's anonymous source, Nintendo is looking to release a new 3DS unit in 2012 with a second analog stick. This unit will "radically tone down" the system's 3D features, with a possible rebranding.

The company is also considering an add-on that will add a second analog stick to the system. Nintendo's engineers having been working on the add-on, hoping to sell the unit for around $10.

Nintendo is reaching out to developers to make games for the system, but third parties remain disgruntled with Nintendo. The source reported that there is a lengthy waiting list for the 3DS dev kits almost six months after launch. To increase production, the development of new kits has been moved from the internal Intelligent Systems branch to Tokyo Electric and Marubeni.

A new hardware revision could significantly anger users who are already incensed that the system has already had a deep price cut. If the rumor's true could Nintendo spin it in a positive light?""

Link: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/nintendos-stock-rises-on-rumors-of-pre-tgs-announcement/

Those are some bad news for the 3DS......no reason to buy a 3DS anymore for me if that is true.I will wait for the new and better model.

AtariKidX
Lol, its not like you would ever buy a 3DS, revision, price drop, games or not. You are way too much of a fanboy to do that, so no need bs about being interested in buying it when you are clearly biased. That being said, just a rumor, it would be dumb of Nintendo (imo) to announce a revision so early (unless if it release before the holiday season), and even then, by doing so, they would simply alienate those who bought the 3DS at launch, especially if the new model will have hardware improvements such as a 2nd analog, and a better screen. As for me, will wait a year or 2 before getting it (or till a game that interests me comes out, so far none do).
Avatar image for ChrisSpartan117
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChrisSpartan117
Member since 2008 • 4519 Posts

Apple's stock plummeted when it was rumored that Steve Jobs had a heart attack, and look how that turned out.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

New models are released all the time. Hard to find someone who wouldn't see this coming; probably not so soon, admit, but it was coming.

mmmwksil
Exactly, if anyone is mad the 3DS is getting a revision then they really are idiots, the DS had a load of them and anyone with half a brain would know the 3DS will similar.
jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jonathant5
[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

JohnF111
Exactly, if anyone is mad the 3DS is getting a revision then they really are idiots, the DS had a load of them and anyone with half a brain would know the 3DS will similar.

Well the main thing here is the revision (or announcement of a revision) within such a short period of time after the release of the system, coupled with a 30% drop in price a mere what, 4-5months after the consoles release is really the thing that could anger the early adopters. Coupled with the system improvements (Dual analog, less focus on 3d, whatever that means), and you really got a damn fine way to piss of essentially all of the people that bought their system before the redesign announcement. But I doubt it is happening (so soon), if they announce it now, it would affect the sales of the 3DS in a negative manner since people would just wait for the better version.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

JohnF111

this is completely different. They are changing the controller layout, not just streamlining the design. And now it's looking like people who bought a 3DS will have to stick some attachment to the device? It will look stupid and every single person who bought a first generation 3DS will be regretting it.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
[ and remember that early adopters are probably Nintendo's most loyal fans. How many times can Nintendo do this before alienating absolutely everyone?
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

I will go freaking ape **** if they announce a revision already. I just paid 250$ for this thing.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

jonathant5

Well the main thing here is the revision (or announcement of a revision) within such a short period of time after the release of the system, coupled with a 30% drop in price a mere what, 4-5months after the consoles release is really the thing that could anger the early adopters. Coupled with the system improvements (Dual analog, less focus on 3d, whatever that means), and you really got a damn fine way to piss of essentially all of the people that bought their system before the redesign announcement. But I doubt it is happening (so soon), if they announce it now, it would affect the sales of the 3DS in a negative manner since people would just wait for the better version.

Dual Analogue is an entire redesign not just a revision, it will take months and months to have this implemented, tested and released also it's a brand new input so either games would require a software update to add compatibility to this new analogue or current games would need it implemented now so i can hardly see this happening this year and if anything it'll be optional and pretty useless for a lot of games who don't want to take the time to make use of it. Same as the PSP when it added RAM no games made use of it because the majority didn't own that version of the system, so it was reserved for browsing.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#19 nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41564 Posts
A revision just might be what the 3DS needs. It really helped the DS when the PSP was catching up. That and Mario Kart.vashkey
Actually, it's not what it needs due to the fact that Nintendo is LOSING MONEY with every system sold. If they do a re-release, it would kill them.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

This what I believe will happen....

Second Analog Nub - Nope

3DS Lite or Whatever - Nope, too early.

-------

3DS in Different Colors set to release before Holiday Season - Yes.

Special Edition Bundle 3DS with Mario Kart 7 - Yes

Special Edition Bundle 3DS with Super Mario - Yes

Pokemon Gray Announcment or New Gen Pokemon 3DS Games - Possible

jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jonathant5
[QUOTE="jonathant5"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]Exactly, if anyone is mad the 3DS is getting a revision then they really are idiots, the DS had a load of them and anyone with half a brain would know the 3DS will similar.JohnF111

Dual Analogue is an entire redesign not just a revision, it will take months and months to have this implemented, tested and released also it's a brand new input so either games would require a software update to add compatibility to this new analogue or current games would need it implemented now so i can hardly see this happening this year and if anything it'll be optional and pretty useless for a lot of games who don't want to take the time to make use of it. Same as the PSP when it added RAM no games made use of it because the majority didn't own that version of the system, so it was reserved for browsing.

I know it takes a long time to do it, but what if (unlikely but for the sake of the argument) do announce a revision at the September event as the rumors suggest? They wont have to display a working unit or anything (although they could), but simply state that they will have a new and improved 3DS launching with new features and such. The only way I could see this announcement not totally backfiring on them is if the redesigned 3DS was more expensive than the 3DS that is currently out on the market. And yeah the Ram for the PSP was useless, when I compared the performance difference between my friends PSP (Star Wars edition, believe it was the 2000 or 3000 model), I did not see any difference in performance (slight loading decrease was all I saw).
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34703 Posts

Nintendo will notice that, hopefully the revision will address battery life and 2nd thumb stick. Heil68
A game designed for a 3DS with 2 thumbsticks wouldn't work on a 3DS with only one. You actually think Nintendo will make games work only for their newest model? I don't. That would be 100% horrible, and enough for me to actually hate Nintendo.

Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

The 3DS 'needs' improvements made to it, no doubt. needs better battery life, 2nd analog wouldnt hurt, and a bigger screen wouldnt hurt neither. unfortunately if nintendo 'does' do this I can say I will not buy another Nintendo product. They 'change' their gameplans and designs way too often.

It would hurt sells if you ask me and anger those who bought the $250 3ds and 'price dropped' 3ds.

In my opinion, the announcement is going to be a big game title or something big from a software or accessorie stand point for the 3ds.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="vashkey"]A revision just might be what the 3DS needs. It really helped the DS when the PSP was catching up. That and Mario Kart.nintendoboy16
Actually, it's not what it needs due to the fact that Nintendo is LOSING MONEY with every system sold. If they do a re-release, it would kill them.

Losing money on hardware is no big deal, because that is regained with licensing fees.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nintendoboy16  Online

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="vashkey"]A revision just might be what the 3DS needs. It really helped the DS when the PSP was catching up. That and Mario Kart.hakanakumono

Losing money on hardware is no big deal, because that is regained with licensing fees.

Licensing fees from where?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
actually it's rising based on the big fuss they promise to do on TGS. the revision rumors are just people trying to guess what nintendo will announce.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts
[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

JohnF111

But its kind of splitting the user base into two groups early adopters and now this revision...
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

The 3DS 'needs' improvements made to it, no doubt. needs better battery life, 2nd analog wouldnt hurt, and a bigger screen wouldnt hurt neither. unfortunately if nintendo 'does' do this I can say I will not buy another Nintendo product. They 'change' their gameplans and designs way too often.

It would hurt sells if you ask me and anger those who bought the $250 3ds and 'price dropped' 3ds.

In my opinion, the announcement is going to be a big game title or something big from a software or accessorie stand point for the 3ds.

Sportyfamilycar

I hope its this lol im raged at ninty right now and I hope its a sick accessory lol :)

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

[QUOTE="jonathant5"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]Exactly, if anyone is mad the 3DS is getting a revision then they really are idiots, the DS had a load of them and anyone with half a brain would know the 3DS will similar.JohnF111

I don't agree...........Dual Analogue is just a revision.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

mmmwksil
Not to the extent of adding another analog stick and other possible features this quickly in it's life.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

What the 3DS needs are those friggin' games and the good thing is that they're coming. Yes it would have been great if they had added a second analog stick from the start but they didn't. What are you going to do with the second stick when there are no games to play anyway.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
this has to be fake.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26111 Posts
Stuff Nintendo wants: Stocks go down Stuff Nintendo hates: Stocks go up
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nintendoboy16  Online
this has to be fake.LP4EVA2005
Why would you say that? :?
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
Nintendo will notice that, hopefully the revision will address battery life and 2nd thumb stick. Heil68
It certainly will address the battery life. But it certainly won't add an analog stick.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#36 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Revisions always mean more sales. :) Look at the DSi.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nintendoboy16  Online
Revisions always mean more sales. :) Look at the DSi.bbkkristian
But it wouldn't work for Nintendo this time because the 3DS is selling at a loss. It would be suicide to release one so soon.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Revisions always mean more sales. :) Look at the DSi.nintendoboy16
But it wouldn't work for Nintendo this time because the 3DS is selling at a loss. It would be suicide to release one so soon.

The 3DS is not selling at a loss. But it would be a bad idea to release something this soon. Unless it was an alternative model, like the DSi XL was to the DSi.
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mmmwksil

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

Crossel777

Not to the extent of adding another analog stick and other possible features this quickly in it's life.

That's the only surprise here, though. The DSi revision added the eShop (or DSi Shop) and removed GBA support. Quite the features added back then; what surprises people now is that Nintendo is doing it so soon.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

May it be a 3DS without 3D?:lol:

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ThePlothole

That's the only surprise here, though. The DSi revision added the eShop (or DSi Shop) and removed GBA support. Quite the features added back then; what surprises people now is that Nintendo is doing it so soon.

mmmwksil
And only a small number of full retail titles took advantage of the DSi's hardware features. Even fewer, I think maybe like one or two Japan only releases, actually required them.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#42 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

It still makes no sense to me. They should at least do in the next couple years.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mmmwksil

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

ThePlothole

And only a small number of full retail titles took advantage of the DSi's hardware features. Even fewer, I think maybe like one or two Japan only releases, actually required them.

Point taken, especially if the rumor of the second analog stick/nub turns out true.

At the end of the day, though, there's nothing we can do. You either buy the revision, or you don't. Nintendo will get further criticism for this, just like Sony did when they released the PSPGo