Nintendo walking a dangerous line.

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 -Wheels-
Member since 2005 • 3137 Posts

If they keep ignoring their most hardcore audience, where will they be in the future? You know, after the new gamers get bored with their systems and a majority of Nintendo's fans have already moved on. In the short-term, Nintendo seems like they're making the right move, but in the long term this could be potentially disasterous for Nintendo and the game industry as a whole.

Now I do know that Nintendo hasn't completely abandoned their fans, but can't we all agree they are cetianly paying much less attention to us now that they're catering to new gamers?

What do you guys think? Is Nintendo going down a dangerous path for the future?

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
Absolutely, but I dont think they'll abandon the hardcore gamer after the backlash they got from E3.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Compared to last gen, I don't think Nintendo has neglected me one bit. I have played lots of Wii games and I have a backlog of games that I still need to play, I am a happy camper.

BTW, E3 is officailly dead.

-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Wheels-

Compared to last gen, I don't think Nintendo has neglected me one bit. I have played lots of Wii games and I have a backlog of games that I still need to play, I am a happy camper.

BTW, E3 is officailly dead.

DaBrainz

I wasn't saying this just based on E3, I do realize they used it as an event to attract more gamers since it was published in the news papers. I just can't help but feel, the Wii is the Gamecube all over again, just with casual games thrown in the mix. It's cool for people that somehow thought the Cube was better than the N64 and SNES, but some of us still feel let down.

-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

I agree with you on the fact that Nintendo shouldn't be ignoring their hardcore audience, but I doubt it'll be as dramatic-in-effect as you say it will be.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Nintendo can walk on any line they want since the Wii is destroying both the PS3 and 360.
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts
Nintendo fans will most likely continue to stay loyal anyways... why should Nintendo care?
blitzcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blitzcloud
Member since 2007 • 1229 Posts

pretty much

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Nintendo are drowning in cash, the dangerous time was when DS and Wii were new. Now they are firmly as established as huge successes.
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts

Nintendo are drowning in cash, the dangerous time was when DS and Wii were new. Now they are firmly as established as huge successes. locopatho

And thats when the company starts to get greedy.

In the old times, when Nintendo wasn't so dominant. They gave excellent E3 presentations. And their conferences weren't so lame and boring full of self-worship.

CB4McGusto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CB4McGusto
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

pretty much

blitzcloud

:lol: I don't care if I get moded I have to say it..........TSHBO!

hmac777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hmac777
Member since 2007 • 1351 Posts
Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank, theyve already fallen off the integrity line.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Nintendo are drowning in cash, the dangerous time was when DS and Wii were new. Now they are firmly as established as huge successes. PullTheTricker

And thats when the company starts to get greedy.

In the old times, when Nintendo wasn't so dominant. They gave excellent E3 presentations. And their conferences weren't so lame and boring full of self-worship.

Well yeah pretty much, when GC was flopping in sales they had to look as good as possible. These days they're selling out of consoles constantly, so they don't need to bother. As a huge Nintendo fan, I don't take it personally. They still make the great games, so they can do whatever at their conferences. Doesn't affect me.

virtuas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 virtuas
Member since 2007 • 1312 Posts

Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank, theyve already fallen off the integrity line.hmac777

in this busy busy world, simplicity is nice for a change. i love that fact that with the wii, you can pick up and go.

hmac777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hmac777

[QUOTE="hmac777"]Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank, theyve already fallen off the integrity line.virtuas

in this busy busy world, simplicity is nice for a change. i love that fact that with the wii, you can pick up and go.

Im not talking dissing the simplicity. i just think it shows lack of integrity to underpromote awsome looking game like Madworld, De Blob and countless other good looking games for a rhythm game that looks like it could be played by a vibrating massage chair

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

If they keep ignoring their most hardcore audience-Wheels-

How exactly are they ignoring the 'hardcore audience'? What's missing this gen compared to last gen?

Avatar image for Doctor-Salvador
Doctor-Salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Doctor-Salvador
Member since 2008 • 681 Posts
[QUOTE="-Wheels-"]

If they keep ignoring their most hardcore audienceflazzle

How exactly are they ignoring the 'hardcore audience'? What's missing this gen compared to last gen?

People are basing their theorys off of Nintendo's E3 conference. They do, in fact, have more mainstream games in development, they just weren't ready to be shown.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
They haven't abandoned their core userbase. In all honesty I think they've done a good job balancing expanded audience/core audience games.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#19 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

They are making truck loads of cash from the casual market, do you really think they give a damn? They have absolutely got the causal market in the palm of their hand, and as long as they keep feeding them concepts like Wii Fit and Wii Music they will continue to be successful.

Yes, it sucks for Nintendo fans, and gamers in general who want Nintendo to be like the Nintendo of old. But, is it dangerous for them? Absolutely not, as their gamble with going casual has paid off in spades. And since making money is ultimately the name of the game for them, rest assured they will keep the focus primarily on what is working for them.

-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Wheels-
[QUOTE="-Wheels-"]

If they keep ignoring their most hardcore audienceflazzle

That's the problem, compare GC to N64/SNES and you might understand where I'm coming from. We were promised a revolution, instead we got a disguised last gen with casual games thrown in for good profit measure. Maybe my wishes are pretty lofty, idk. Just want to see Nintendo being amazing again, not just good, or meh.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

If they keep ignoring their most hardcore audience, where will they be in the future? You know, after the new gamers get bored with their systems and a majority of Nintendo's fans have already moved on. In the short-term, Nintendo seems like they're making the right move, but in the long term this could be potentially disasterous for Nintendo and the game industry as a whole.

Now I do know that Nintendo hasn't completely abandoned their fans, but can't we all agree they are cetianly paying much less attention to us now that they're catering to new gamers?

What do you guys think? Is Nintendo going down a dangerous path for the future?

-Wheels-

We've been waiting those "new gamers" to get bored for 1.5 years, and that hasn't even started (or seems to start anytime soon), so I don't think that will be a problem.

Besides, considering that we have recived one game of almost every Nintendo big franchise in 1.5 years, it is difficult tobelieve that they have abbandoned the "core" gamers.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 flazzle

People are basing their theorys off of Nintendo's E3 conference. They do, in fact, have more mainstream games in development, they just weren't ready to be shown.

Doctor-Salvador

Exactly. And I'll argue they are catering very strong to their audience by the following releases. Compare them to GC and WII

GC/Wii

---------------

Mario Baseball / Mario Sluggers

Paper Mario: TYD / Super Paper Mario

Zelda WW/ Zelda TP

Mario Party 7 / Mario Party 8

Mario Sunshine / SMG

SB Melee / SB Brawl

Metriod 1 & 2/ MP3

AC / AC Wii

Mario Kart DD / Mario Kart Wii

Did I miss any? Nintendo is doing everyting with the Wii they are doing with the GC.

Do we need EVERY franchise all at once?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I'll tell you where I'll be... playing Dead Rising, Mass Effect, Ikaruga and N+ on my 360.
-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -Wheels-
[QUOTE="Doctor-Salvador"]

flazzle

Exactly. And I'll argue they are catering very strong to their audience by the following releases. Compare them to GC and WII

GC/Wii

---------------

Mario Baseball / Mario Sluggers

Paper Mario: TYD / Super Paper Mario

Zelda WW/ Zelda TP

Mario Party 7 / Mario Party 8

Mario Sunshine / SMG

SB Melee / SB Brawl

Metriod 1 & 2/ MP3

AC / AC Wii

Mario Kart DD / Mario Kart Wii

Did I miss any? Nintendo is doing everyting with the Wii they are doing with the GC.

Do we need EVERY franchise all at once?

*sigh* I think I'll just stop now, no one's listening anyways.

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts

pretty much

blitzcloud

Basically.

I feel like Nintendo is basically taking a steaming crap on its core fanbase. These gamers aren't going to thrive off of casual ordeals, Nintendo. They need to get their heads back in the game and churn out the masterpieces they know they are capable of creating. We want more Zelda. We want more Mario. We want games with an epic scale that will take dozens of hours to complete, not more Wii Fit or Wii Music. It's understandble that Nintendo wants to cater to its new found consumer base but when you turn a blind eye to your loyal fans there is definitely a problem.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
i hope they fail
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 flazzle

That's the problem, compare GC to N64/SNES and you might understand where I'm coming from. We were promised a revolution, instead we got a disguised last gen with casual games thrown in for good profit measure. Maybe my wishes are pretty lofty, idk. Just want to see Nintendo being amazing again, not just good, or meh.

-Wheels-

Maybe it's just not the revolution to YOU. The controls and how they are used and supported are revolutionary.

So compare GC to NG4/SNES and tell us where you are coming from, because right now it just sounds like you saw E3 and and are jumping on the bandwagon, because NONE of this type of talk existed before E3.

So, tell us about GC/N64. SNES and what you were expecting.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts
Nintendo can walk on any line they want since the Wii is destroying both the PS3 and 360.Swift_Boss_A

This gen yes but what about next gen? If the casuals are sick of the Wii2 and the core has left for PS3, 360 or PC what's going to happen to Nintendo?
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 flazzle

*sigh* I think I'll just stop now, no one's listening anyways.

-Wheels-

Well, give some facts to your general statements and maybe people can understand

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
where is the fact that nintendo has abandon the hardcore again? i keep seeing cows and lemmings saying this, with out any hard boiled facts.
MagnuzGuerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MagnuzGuerra
Member since 2004 • 1037 Posts
[QUOTE="flazzle"][QUOTE="-Wheels-"]

If they keep ignoring their most hardcore audience-Wheels-

What exactly are you comparing between GC and N64/SNES?
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JLF1
[QUOTE="-Wheels-"]

flazzle

Maybe it's just not the revolution to YOU. The controls and how they are used and supported are revolutionary.

So compare GC to NG4/SNES and tell us where you are coming from, because right now it just sounds like you saw E3 and and are jumping on the bandwagon, because NONE of this type of talk existed before E3.

So, tell us about GC/N64. SNES and what you were expecting.

Actually a lot people have been talking about in a long time. This E3 only strengthened their point that Nintendo cares more (More not only) about the casual gamers instead of the core. The press conference is proof of that. Why would they otherwise only talk about casual games. Animal crossing is a huge casual game that also caters to the core.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 flazzle

Basically.

I feel like Nintendo is basically taking a steaming crap on its core fanbase. These gamers aren't going to thrive off of casual ordeals, Nintendo. They need to get their heads back in the game and churn out the masterpieces they know they are capable of creating. We want more Zelda. We want more Mario. We want games with an epic scale that will take dozens of hours to complete, not more Wii Fit or Wii Music. It's understandble that Nintendo wants to cater to its new found consumer base but when you turn a blind eye to your loyal fans there is definitely a problem.

stevenk4k5

They gave you a Zelda. And they are giving you another one. GC only got one, and then another along with the Wii.

They gave you a mario. SMG. MUCH QUICKER i might add than waiting for SMS. And you already got Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Brawl, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers and Mario Sluggers. How much more Mario do you want in a year? A new Zelda and a new pikman are on the way. Do you want a new mario game every month? I just named 7 months worth above alone.

Norg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Norg
Member since 2002 • 15959 Posts
ive already left Nintendo a LONG time ago ive been a SOny fanboy for a while now
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 flazzle

Actually a lot people have been talking about in a long time. This E3 only strengthened their point that Nintendo cares more (More not only) about the casual gamers instead of the core. The press conference is proof of that. Why would they otherwise only talk about casual games. Animal crossing is a huge casual game that also caters to the core.JLF1

I've been on GS for four years. I must have missed all that talk. Either way, it hasn't resurfaced since I been here. E3 is a business conference. What do you have to say about all the games Nintendo released since the Wii has been out? Are you going to tell me all those games are not catering to Nintendos 'hardcore'? Again, its no different than what they have been doing in the past.

I have yet to hear anyone suggest what Nintendo SHOULD do to cater to the hardcore.

Should they release a 2D platformer to cater to the hardcore for starters?

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
[QUOTE="stevenk4k5"]

Basically.

flazzle

They gave you a Zelda. And they are giving you another one. GC only got one, and then another along with the Wii.

They gave you a mario. SMG. MUCH QUICKER i might add than waiting for SMS. And you already got Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Brawl, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers and Mario Sluggers. How much more Mario do you want in a year? A new Zelda and a new pikman are on the way. Do you want a new mario game every month? I just named 7 months worth above alone.

totally agree, people are just bashing the Wii for no reason, I see nothing wrong with catering to the casuals too. For every Wii Fit type game you also have a core Nintendo game like SSBB. Wii is getting better and more games then GC in the same time in life cycle.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 flazzle

ive already left Nintendo a LONG time ago ive been a SOny fanboy for a while now Norg

Congratulations!

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JLF1
[QUOTE="stevenk4k5"]

Basically.

flazzle

Gamecube had two Zelda games. TP was a GC port to the Wii with motion-controls. If anything the Wii is the one that has yet to get a true Zelda game.
jstar1gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jstar1gunner
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I think nintendo could be going down a good road.Smash brothers brawl is preetty much holding them up,and legend of zelda twilight princess.
-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Wheels-
[QUOTE="-Wheels-"][QUOTE="flazzle"][QUOTE="-Wheels-"]

If they keep ignoring their most hardcore audienceMagnuzGuerra

What exactly are you comparing between GC and N64/SNES?

We're still talking about games right? It just amazes me how people can be so blind. I remember back in the day when I could go to the store, do absolutely no research on any games, and come back with a classic or two. Now it's like searching for a needle in a haystack. Months on end without awesome titles, many of which are just disguised gameplay from last gen.

I do give credit for the motion controls, there is no doubt Nintendo has gotten this gen headed in the right direction. But Nintendo themselves seems to be relying heavily on casual. How you ask? Well, what are these new and intuitive franchises we are used to seeing on Nintendo platforms? They are casual games for the Wii. All the hardcore games are slight updates from yesergen, nothing new as of yet. They are just throwing us their leftovers, holding off the fans until they realize the trick. At least on the gamecube we got exciting things like Eternal Darkness (old exclusive dev, Silcon Knights), Pikmin, hell even Luigi's Mansion was a nice change in pace, even though it wasn't the best.

Just tired of the same old same old.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 flazzle

Gamecube had two Zelda games. TP was a GC port to the Wii with motion-controls. If anything the Wii is the one that has yet to get a true Zelda game.JLF1

Yeah. I stated GC got one. That second game came at the death of the GC. You had a wait a LONG time for the second one, did you not? And another Wii Zelda has been announced. Why not give the Wii the same amount of allotted time?

And they made a version for the Wii. Deal with it.

And what about all the other games I mentioned? No comment on those?

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
[QUOTE="stevenk4k5"]

Basically.

flazzle

I was using those games as paradigm stating that I want epic games that appeal to the "hardcore" fanbase; games in the likes of Mario and Zelda. I was not trying to imply that I want Nintendo to give us five Mario/Zelda games in a short time period and am sorry if it come off as such.

hmac777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hmac777
[QUOTE="stevenk4k5"]

Basically.

flazzle

Definetly a hard point to argue against, they gave wii buys what they wanted quickly. But herein lies the problem, Nintendo seems more than happy to say, we gave you all these, got that crap outta the way, now our focus is lame mii games. Yeah we also have some actual good games like madworld but we aren't promoting those. There need to be good games for hardcore gamers between Zelda releases NMH was one, but they need more of those and less of frisbee with a dog

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JLF1

[QUOTE="JLF1"]
Actually a lot people have been talking about in a long time. This E3 only strengthened their point that Nintendo cares more (More not only) about the casual gamers instead of the core. The press conference is proof of that. Why would they otherwise only talk about casual games. Animal crossing is a huge casual game that also caters to the core.flazzle

I've been on GS for four years. I must have missed all that talk. Either way, it hasn't resurfaced since I been here. E3 is a business conference. What do you have to say about all the games Nintendo released since the Wii has been out? Are you going to tell me all those games are not catering to Nintendos 'hardcore'? Again, its no different than what they have been doing in the past.

I have yet to hear anyone suggest what Nintendo SHOULD do to cater to the hardcore.

Should they release a 2D platformer to cater to the hardcore for starters?

Do you want me to say "Yes a true 2D platformer please" So you can mention Wario Land: Shake it?

Yes E3 is a business conference but answer my questions then.

Why did Nintendo only show casual games when both MS and Sony showed Casual and a ton of core games?

If Nintendo think the core gamers are important why didn't they show any core games? If E3 is a business conference that's going to show Nintendo future why only show casual games?

I know why. Casual makes them more money right now. Do I blame them for that? No I don't but I won't sit down and be quiet and wait patiently for games to show up. I didn't for Sony and I won't do it for Nintendo.

Nintendo doesn't need me and I don't need Nintendo anymore.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

If this thread proves anything is that fanboy perception =/= reality.

MS did a 10 minute demo of that stupid movie game, and their biggest announcement was a PS3 port, MS must of abandonded teh hardcorz too.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 flazzle

We're still talking about games right? It just amazes me how people can be so blind. I remember back in the day when I could go to the store, do absolutely no research on any games, and come back with a classic or two. Now it's like searching for a needle in a haystack. Months on end without awesome titles, many of which are just disguised gameplay from last gen.

I do give credit for the motion controls, there is no doubt Nintendo has gotten this gen headed in the right direction. But Nintendo themselves seems to be relying heavily on casual. How you ask? Well, what are these new and intuitive franchises we are used to seeing on Nintendo platforms? They are casual games for the Wii. All the hardcore games are slight updates from yesergen, nothing new as of yet. They are just throwing us their leftovers, holding off the fans until they realize the trick. At least on the gamecube we got exciting things like Eternal Darkness (old exclusive dev, Silcon Knights), Pikmin, hell even Luigi's Mansion was a nice change in pace, even though it wasn't the best.

-Wheels-

It amazes me how people rewrite the past as they see fit. What system were you able to get classics and avoid the crap?

Eternal Darkness didn't come out until after a few years the GC was released.

And I like how you now say Wii DOES have hardcore games, but they are now just slight updates. Hmm. This wasn't mentioned in your original post. Maybe if Nintendo evolved their games like you are evolving your point, you'd be happy.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JLF1

If this thread proves anything is that fanboy perception =/= reality.

MS did a 10 minute demo of that stupid movie game, and their biggest announcement was a PS3 port, MS must of abandonded teh hardcorz too.

DaBrainz

No because they actually showed core games unlike Nintendo.
-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -Wheels-
[QUOTE="-Wheels-"]

flazzle

It amazes me how people rewrite the past as they see fit. What system were you able to get classics and avoid the crap?

Eternal Darkness didn't come out until after a few years the GC was released.

And I like how you now say Wii DOES have hardcore games, but they are now just slight updates. Hmm. This wasn't mentioned in your original post. Maybe if Nintendo evolved their games like you are evolving your point, you'd be happy.

Would you like me to write more? I never said they completely abandoned the core base, NEVER SAID IT! If you read the entire post, you would have read that I know Nintendo hasn't completely abandoned the core gamer, but they've certainly stopped paying as much attention to them as in the past. And if you really think the Wii or GC lives up to Nintendo's past then I can't help you. I'm sorry.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 flazzle

Definetly a hard point to argue against, they gave wii buys what they wanted quickly. But herein lies the problem, Nintendo seems more than happy to say, we gave you all these, got that crap outta the way, now our focus is lame mii games. Yeah we also have some actual good games like madworld but we aren't promoting those. There need to be good games for hardcore gamers between Zelda releases NMH was one, but they need more of those and less of frisbee with a dog

hmac777

People can't seem to separate the E3 business conference with reality. Yes, N promoted new hardware more than software. I think they dropped the ball by not 'catering' in this way. But that criticism should stay in the E3 realm.

Is N preventing games for the hardcore being made? If they showed off Madworld Iwhich if they did would have been cool) would these discussion threads even be written. To say N didn't cater to the hardcore at E3 is correct. To say N is not catering to the hardcore gamewise is ludicris. N is making the games like they always did gen after gen. There will be new ones, there will be sequels.