Nintendo Q3 Report: $160M Profit / WiiU 3.06M / 3DS 29.84M

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Keep in mind "Q3" is Fiscal Year Q3, not calendar year; that would be Q4. Here's the report with more details

I will only include lifetime sales here, for quarter details and forecasts check the link.

Should be noted that Nintendo cut 1.5m of the original forecast (WiiU), 4.0m down from 5.5m, this is for the fiscal year ending March 31. Part of this has to do with delayed software probably, but it's mostly that it underperformed relative to expectations.

WiiU

• Hardware 3.06m
  • Software 11.69m
  • NSMB U 2.01m (dat attach rate)
  • Nintendo Land 2.33m (this one is bundled with Deluxe WiiU)

3DS

• Hardware 29.84
  • Software 84.99
  • NSMB2 5.96m
  • Animal Crossing 2.73m (Only out in Japan)

Wii

• Hardware 99.38m
  • Software 863.53m

NDS

• Hardware 153.67m
  • Software 930.55m
  • Pokemon Black/White 2 7.63m (comparable with other 3rd version games aka yellow/crystal/emerald/platinum versions, i.e. success)
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41560 Posts
Three million? I thought people were calling Wii U a bomb. :roll:
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Better than expected to be honest.

I think they will make their new 4.0 forecast (dat Nintendo Direct), there was never any killer app scheduled for this quarter so it's not to do with delayed software, it's just to do with Wii U not selling as well as they expected.

3DS still a beast.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SuperFlakeman

Better than expected to be honest.

I think they will make their new 4.0 forecast (dat Nintendo Direct), there was never any killer app scheduled for this quarter so it's not to do with delayed software, it's just to do with Wii U not selling as well as they expected.

3DS still a beast.

SaltyMeatballs

Well Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U and Game & Wario were part of the Jan-March lineup.

Healthy software release schedule > nothing until Rayman at the very end of Feb.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

Much better than i thought

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Great for them to make a profit, such a huge turn around from last year where they lost 530 million. Great stuff, especially going into a new system.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

3ds will pass 30 million units before its second birthday wow. If only consoles could sell that fast!

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
"Hardware 3.06m Software 11.69m" Wow. That is actually pretty good. Almost 4 games per console sold. I only has two. XD
rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts

Good numbers, but are those shipped? I know the stores near me are loaded with both SKUs of the Wii U. There is no way it is bombing though. That is just fanboyism.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SuperFlakeman

Good numbers, but are those shipped? I know the stores near me are loaded with both SKUs of the Wii U. There is no way it is bombing though. That is just fanboyism.

rockydog1111

Yes all numbers coming from companies are shipped.

All this info here is lifetime sales up until Dec 31 2012.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Disaster for Nintendo with the Wii U.

That's failing to a monumental degree after leading with their last gen hardware.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaltyMeatballs

That's failing to a monumental degree after leading with their last gen hardware.

Jaysonguy

October-December FY 2006-2007 -> Wii 3.19 million hardware shipments

October-December FY 2012-2013 -> Wii U 3.06 million hardware shipments

Failing to a monumental degree. I think we should at least wait a little longer before we say anything like this.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
Three million? I thought people were calling Wii U a bomb. :roll:nintendoboy16
I always found that funny also. It seems the Wii U is not near as bad as the haters hoped.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Looking at those sales, i think Microsoft will definitely attempt a handheld.

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts

3DS is rocking those numbers. Wow that thing is selling like crazy. They need to share some people with the Vita.

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Three million? I thought people were calling Wii U a bomb. :roll:CanYouDiglt
I always found that funny also. It seems the Wii U is not near as bad as the haters hoped.

Actually it looks like it pretty bad.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#17 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41560 Posts
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Three million? I thought people were calling Wii U a bomb. :roll:fernandmondego_

How? It almost sold as much as the Wii did in a similar timeframe.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
The numbers are not bad, or good, they are mediocre, and the fact that they are dropping their expected forecast even further despite fan boys saying "buh buh the games are coming". and to top it off 3DS is only really doing amazing because of Japan. the overall effect in the west is hardly amazing.
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]I always found that funny also. It seems the Wii U is not near as bad as the haters hoped.nintendoboy16

How? It almost sold as much as the Wii did in a similar timeframe.

Nope. You need to remember these are shipped numbers, a ton of those are the piles that you see at stores. They would have shipped those no matter what. On the other hand Nintendo revise their numbers from 5.5M to just 4M which is a massive drop. They shipped over 3M in the first 6 weeks and now expect to ship 900K in the next 3 months. They also revised the software down by 20 percent which is also big and now expect a loss for the year.

Edit* They revised the software down by 33 percent.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I see some irresponsible speculation here. Is this Patcher's GS account?
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SuperFlakeman

The numbers are not bad, or good, they are mediocre, and the fact that they are dropping their expected forecast even further despite fan boys saying "buh buh the games are coming". and to top it off 3DS is only really doing amazing because of Japan. the overall effect in the west is hardly amazing.MBirdy88

You need to relax bro. The nextbox craze has gotten to you.

3DS is doing very well in the west, especially if you factor in the release schedule for it thus far. Nintendo had a strong holiday in the US even though they went in with Paper Mario: SS as the Nov/Dec gun (lol)

The system has sold 30m in ~2 years in the market.

3DS is a solidified success. It has been profitable since August 2012.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
So the Wiiu is a flop? Damn, the wife bought one too. Oh well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]The numbers are not bad, or good, they are mediocre, and the fact that they are dropping their expected forecast even further despite fan boys saying "buh buh the games are coming". and to top it off 3DS is only really doing amazing because of Japan. the overall effect in the west is hardly amazing.SuperFlakeman

3DS is doing very well in the west, especially if you factor in the release schedule for it thus far. Nintendo had a strong holiday in the US even though they went in with Paper Mario: SS as the Nov/Dec gun (lol)

What release schedule, my 3DS is collecting dust. Mirror of Fate and Pokemon are the only games I am even aware of worth buying for it coming up. Even then, mirror of fate can flop easily, and pokmeon #23123 bores me.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"]The numbers are not bad, or good, they are mediocre, and the fact that they are dropping their expected forecast even further despite fan boys saying "buh buh the games are coming". and to top it off 3DS is only really doing amazing because of Japan. the overall effect in the west is hardly amazing.MBirdy88
You need to relax bro. The nextbox craze has gotten to you.3DS is doing very well in the west, especially if you factor in the release schedule for it thus far. Nintendo had a strong holiday in the US even though they went in with Paper Mario: SS as the Nov/Dec gun (lol)The system has sold 30m in ~2 years in the market.3DS is a solidified success. It has been profitable since August 2012.

What release schedule, my 3DS is collecting dust. Mirror of Fate and Pokemon are the only games I am even aware of worth buying for it coming up. Even then, mirror of fate can flop easily, and pokmeon #23123 bores me.

Fire emblem
Monster hunter
luigi's mansion
animal crossing
ace attorney 5

(inb4 hurr all of those games suck)

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]The numbers are not bad, or good, they are mediocre, and the fact that they are dropping their expected forecast even further despite fan boys saying "buh buh the games are coming". and to top it off 3DS is only really doing amazing because of Japan. the overall effect in the west is hardly amazing.MBirdy88

Exactly.

It had a horrible lineup of games, you'd expect much worse sales.

Hence, it did very well, given its release schedule.

Nintendo got away with 3DS' lineup. But they're gonna have to work hard to sell WiiU's.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]You need to relax bro. The nextbox craze has gotten to you.3DS is doing very well in the west, especially if you factor in the release schedule for it thus far. Nintendo had a strong holiday in the US even though they went in with Paper Mario: SS as the Nov/Dec gun (lol)The system has sold 30m in ~2 years in the market.3DS is a solidified success. It has been profitable since August 2012.Shinobishyguy

Fire emblem
Monster hunter
luigi's mansion
animal crossing
ace attorney 5

The last few fire emblems have sucked though... Monster hunter - ok.... still pleanty of better online.co-op rpgs to play. Luigis Mansion ... ok minor at best, would rent. Animal Crossing...... ..... ok for some people I guess. Ace attorney ... ok actually, HUR that is not an impressive list, AND YOU KNOW IT.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SaltyMeatballs

The numbers are not bad, or good, they are mediocre, and the fact that they are dropping their expected forecast even further despite fan boys saying "buh buh the games are coming". and to top it off 3DS is only really doing amazing because of Japan. the overall effect in the west is hardly amazing.MBirdy88
Are you that stupid? I mean, the games are coming... just not by the end of their fiscal year.

Also you are wrong about the 3DS. ~30 million world wide, ~10 million of that is Japan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]The numbers are not bad, or good, they are mediocre, and the fact that they are dropping their expected forecast even further despite fan boys saying "buh buh the games are coming". and to top it off 3DS is only really doing amazing because of Japan. the overall effect in the west is hardly amazing.SaltyMeatballs

Are you that stupid? I mean, the games are coming... just not by the end of their fiscal year.

Also you are wrong about the 3DS. ~30 million world wide, ~10 million of that is Japan.

No I am not stupid, are you? any companies lowered forecasts despite upcoming events is "mediocre" my freind. Despite that the 3DS game list is smaller than most of the competitions, I expect the Wii-U to be the same ultimatly ending up as that "omg its nintendo lets buy it and wait 6 months per decent next gen first party game" which has happened 4 generations in a fkin row. MEDIOCRE. DOWNRIGHT.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SuperFlakeman

This just in:

Nov/Dec launch year: Wii > WiiU >>> PS3 > 360

Going by the revised projection numbers for WiiU in Jan-March, it will beat PS3 and 360.

Seems to me WiiU could go either way, i.e. slow burn or gamecube. It is not a Wii/PS2 level of success.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

SaltyMeatballs

October-December FY 2006-2007 -> Wii 3.19 million hardware shipments

October-December FY 2012-2013 -> Wii U 3.06 million hardware shipments

Failing to a monumental degree. I think we should at least wait a little longer before we say anything like this.

Difference is the Wii definitely sold out of that shipment. I know because I was ripping people off by selling it at twice the price on ebay. The Wii U is a whole different case, some retailers are discounting it already and its in stock pretty much everywhere.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]The numbers are not bad, or good, they are mediocre, and the fact that they are dropping their expected forecast even further despite fan boys saying "buh buh the games are coming". and to top it off 3DS is only really doing amazing because of Japan. the overall effect in the west is hardly amazing.MBirdy88

Not our fault if you're ignorant of what games are coming out for it.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
The people ignoring all the good games coming for 3DS should feel bad.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#34 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i have 10 retail wiiu games already only 33 ps3 games over its life time in contrast ,good numbers, considering wiiu is nintendos most expensive console ,first to cost more then 300 and its the deluxe model selling more, in comparision sony is having trouble selling a 300 dollar vita that people always claim its better then wiiu ,with sales like that i think the wiiu is the obvious winner in this comparision and when ps4720 come theyll be no match

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] What release schedule, my 3DS is collecting dust. Mirror of Fate and Pokemon are the only games I am even aware of worth buying for it coming up. Even then, mirror of fate can flop easily, and pokmeon #23123 bores me.MBirdy88

Fire emblem
Monster hunter
luigi's mansion
animal crossing
ace attorney 5

The last few fire emblems have sucked though... Monster hunter - ok.... still pleanty of better online.co-op rpgs to play. Luigis Mansion ... ok minor at best, would rent. Animal Crossing...... ..... ok for some people I guess. Ace attorney ... ok actually, HUR that is not an impressive list, AND YOU KNOW IT.

You =/= millions of people in Japan. Not saying that the masses' tastes are better, but it is arrogant to assume that everyone else carries the same taste you have. Monster Hunters is a huge system seller in Japan, Animal Crossing just sold over 2 million in Japan ALONE. The last Fire Emblem was a remake of the first game, and the previous one was an expansion pack to the GC version. The first Fire Emblem game released outside of Japan was the seventh game, and then Sacred Stones afterwards.