Nintendo just another greedy lootbox loving company (but nobody here wants to bring it up due to nostalgia blindfold)

• 97 results
sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15977 Posts
Dr. Trash
Dr. Trash
Weeb trash
Weeb trash
TRASH KART
TRASH KART
Waifu TRASH
Waifu TRASH

What a garbage company. Nintendo so bad, not even Microsoft is capable of doing this and Microsoft is the one largely responsible for forcing paid DLC during the 7th gen! All of these game is lootbox filled designed to extract every nick and dime your debit/credit card can hold. TRASH

I am glad Sony is awesome. I mean who else can I praise? PC? PC Mustard race love their MTX filled F2P games on PC, just ask they will justify why MTX is good. Weird crowd.

*have a great weekend everyone.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#2 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

WTF is MTX?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

Absolutely. Last gen, you'd hear about the purity of Nintendo. And then the DLC started, season passes, mobile games, pay to play online. They're as greedy as the other fuckers. Always have been.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sakaiXx

@pelvist: microtransaction.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7273 Posts

If this was ms or Sony then it would be blown up but Nintendo get a pass. It's always been that way they.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7714 Posts

We just gonna pretend Sony isnt behind one of the biggest gacha games there is in Fate/Grand Order lol?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Free mobile games having microtransactions... How dare they?

Charging money for games that cost money to produce = evil

- Gamers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Sony still charges for their barebones online and their monthly free games offering has become incredibly shittier. So I am going with PC.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts

they seem to be pretty relentless on the mobile side. its the only approach that has proven to be successful for generating money on mobile unfortunately. psychologically that market seems incapable of spending even 20 quid on an app as a one off payment. it's a shame but the mobile sector really shows the very very worst of what the gaming industry has to offer....it's awful. It also generating more than half of the revenue in the industry though....its a colossus.

on the handheld/console side though i have found their approach to DLC to be fair enough by and large (don't know about mtx on switch/wii u/3DS: if they have them i dont think i have bought those games).

nintendo are ruthless though..always have been. anyone new to nintendo should check out their history. underneath that family friendly exterior is a viper. but they are pragmatic in their ruthlessness. they do think more long term than other publishers.

but yes: nintendo are indeed a greedy lootbox loving company. it makes them a shed load of money.

and no: MS/sony could and would be just as bad if they thought it would work to their advantage.

i suspect sony is going to cave a bit next gen as the sheer cost of developing a top end PS5 title is going to be brutal and keeping it exclusive will mean they will need more that one way for those games to make money. they need to offset the risk somehow.

MS are in a tricky spot and may need to suck up some losses next gen as they try and establish a more robust set of first party exclusives. but dont be surprised if the first in a new IP is MTX free but the sequal has them. get em hooked then reel them in.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59240 Posts

Mobile/tablet are so wasted.

Phantom Hourglass was entirely driven by touch, they already proved legitimate, great games could be done with minimal input.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7273 Posts

Nintendo sold people cardboard so they can do anything at this point.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5280 Posts

Perhaps the reason maybe that Nintendo is not another Electronic Arts.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Worst part is the full price day one DLC from pokemon.

They where actually the first to push this garbage into the market.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

While I still think Nintendo puts way too more effort in their games (both mobile and on consoles), yes ... Their mobiles games are shameful lootboxes platforms. Like many, I installed Mario Kart and for what it is at first glance, I enjoyed a little bit, but I quickly realized what they are aiming for with that game. Took me a few days to uninstall it. I will pass on any Nintendo mobile game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#15 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41570 Posts

It sucks, but it's not on their consoles so far.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Yeah... Sony doesn't do that kind of thing

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

If fine with it if they keep that stuff on mobile devices. In fact, the community there prefers and finds enjoyment being ripped off.

Nintendo tried selling Mario Run as a complete title and the mobile community and investors wanted different.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44417 Posts

Nintendo have been blasted for these micro transactions in those mobile games however the reason that not many here bring it up isn’t because of “blind nostalgia” but because these are in mobile games and those just don’t really seem like the type of games that many here invest in. If these were in their home console/portable games then I’m sure that there would be plenty of people here complaining about it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56316 Posts

I realized this a decade ago. It’s called Nintendo Tax.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8456 Posts

You know, come to think of it: of all the years I have been purchasing Nintendo products, I actually have never personally bought a lootbox from Nintendo. I didn't realize they do that; but then again, I am neither a mobile phone gamer nor do I ever pay attention to that stuff.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

It's only on thier phone games, super mario run had no micro transactions but wasnt FTP, you had to buy, apparently that game actually lost Nintendo money, I think that explains why they have gone this route, Mario run was a learning moment, people on mobile dont like to buy the game, they are still better than sony and microsoft on console wise tho when it comes to micro transactions.

Avatar image for TheMisterManGuy
TheMisterManGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheMisterManGuy
Member since 2011 • 264 Posts

Three of those games don't even have loot boxes, just gatcha mechanics that are actually quite generous. Mario Kart Tour is kinda gross, but that's just one game. If you want to prove this point, you'll need to give us better examples.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jaydan

@TheMisterManGuy said:

Three of those games don't even have loot boxes, just gatcha mechanics that are actually quite generous. Mario Kart Tour is kinda gross, but that's just one game. If you want to prove this point, you'll need to give us better examples.

There are no better examples, lol.

I have never even heard of this Dragalia Lost game that's in the OP until now. That right there shows the kind of reach the OP is going for to include some unknown game.

Like I said before, after all these years of being a consumer of Nintendo products (pretty much my entire life), I have never once bought a Nintendo lootbox and I have never personally been solicited lootboxes by Nintendo either.

TheMisterManGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheMisterManGuy

@jaydan said:
@TheMisterManGuy said:

I have never even heard of this Dragalia Lost game that's in the OP until now. That right there shows the kind of reach the OP is going for to include some unknown game.

Like I said before, after all these years of being a consumer of Nintendo products (pretty much my entire life), I have never once bought a Nintendo lootbox and I have never personally been solicited lootboxes by Nintendo either.

Nintendo doesn't always have clean hands, but they mostly stay out of this kind of trouble, especially for their console games. If the OP really wanted to make a point, he could try and point to a full priced, first party Switch game that's filled with microtransactions and loot boxes. Which is impossible because those don't exist :p.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

They never reduce their games... After a year PS/XBOX/PC titles drop to £20-30, Launch Switch tittles are still selling for £40-50. They have been greedy for a LONG time, f*** the Wii console was being sold with a significantly higher profit margin from launch than the other manufacturers.

Nintendo makes great hand held's and great games but their console since the Wii have been under powered trash its why they abandoned making one all together since at least on a 6" screen you cant see the low settings and 540p resolutions as bad as on a 55" TV.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jaydan

@TheMisterManGuy said:
@jaydan said:
@TheMisterManGuy said:

Nintendo doesn't always have clean hands, but they mostly stay out of this kind of trouble, especially for their console games. If the OP really wanted to make a point, he could try and point to a full priced, first party Switch game that's filled with microtransactions and loot boxes. Which is impossible because those don't exist :p.

The fatal flaw of this very thread is in the title: "Nintendo just another greedy lootbox loving company".

Now I am not about to count just how many games Nintendo has published in their entire gaming industry history, but I think it's safe to say Nintendo has put out at the very least a thousand games and more at this point.

With that said, of all the thousands of games Nintendo has ever put out, only four of them have lootboxes, and they're on a mobile phone device and that suddenly makes them a "lootbox loving company"?

Lootboxes are actually a trend in the gaming industry, that MANY developer's and publisher's are guilty for. It is a BAD trend no matter who's conducting lootboxes - but this thread is a serious and unprovoked reach narrowly targeting one company over a greater issue because of fanboyism.

If this thread could be more productive, I'd take the fanboyism and bias out and talk about the greater issue of the lootbox trend.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56316 Posts

@jaydan said:
@TheMisterManGuy said:

Now that you mention it Jaydan, I can't remember or recall ever buying lootboxes on a Nintendo game but then again, I can't even remember seeing any on their main exclusives and as for mobile Nintendo games. I despise mobile games with a passion, so can't comment on that. I don't bother any lootboxes anyways.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44417 Posts

Just watched a YouTube video from DreamCastGuy and apparently Mario Kart Tour has only made $11 million. This is pretty much a failure especially considering the game was downloaded by over 90 million users. So much for that “nostalgia blindfold”.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sakaiXx

@jaydan said:
@TheMisterManGuy said:

Dragalia lost is always in the news when talking about nintendo ventures. Its one of nintendo more successful lootbox efforts with over $100m revenue as last reported.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Name one current console maker that doesn't have or allow greedy mtx.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jaydan

@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:
@TheMisterManGuy said:

Dragalia lost is always in the news when talking about nintendo ventures. Its one of nintendo more successful lootbox efforts with over $100m revenue as last reported.

Because it is getting revenue on a mobile device does not mean it's a known game. I challenge you to ask anyone to name 5 Nintendo franchises and I'm pretty sure no one will ever mention this one.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sakaiXx

@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:
@TheMisterManGuy said:

Because it is getting revenue on a mobile device does not mean it's a known game. I challenge you to ask anyone to name 5 Nintendo franchises and I'm pretty sure no one will ever mention this one.

Thats not the topic of this thread.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

Smart phone games are smart phone games and they're all going to follow the same tedious business model.

But Nintendo do this with their normal games in annoying ways. Like you have to buy their stupid toys and touch them on the controller to unlock stuff.

They're no better than the others, but they're no worse either. MS needs to calm down with the Forza DLC imo.

TheMisterManGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheMisterManGuy
@HalcyonScarlet said:

But Nintendo do this with their normal games in annoying ways. Like you have to buy their stupid toys and touch them on the controller to unlock stuff.

Nintendo barely uses amiibo in their games these days.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Greedy?

Consumers are willingly throwing money at phone games and Nintendo is greedy? The market exists. Nobody is forcing these people to spend money. They'd be dumb not get in there while the getting is good.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jaydan

@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:

Well if your reading comprehension is up to snuff you will see that I have already thoroughly answered and derailed your flawed thread. ;)

And yes it absolutely is a part of the topic of this thread, as you chose to include a random unknown game in your original post. /doublewink ;;))

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jaydan

@HalcyonScarlet said:

So you are telling me buying a line of toys that provide optional in-game perks and novelties as a form of lootbox? Nope.

To this day I have never bought a single Amiibo toy and yet it has never once hindered my ability to enjoy a Nintendo game. No Nintendo game has ever locked me out of a game to buy a toy in order to continue enjoying the game.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

They're doing this because they tried releasing a mobile game without MTX and it flopped.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Free mobile games having microtransactions... How dare they?

Charging money for games that cost money to produce = evil

- Gamers

aaand /thread

its a free game.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9558 Posts

Yeah they use lootboxes -- trying to cash in on the phenomenon. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone here; other console makers would do it if they could.

What should be surprising is how many people are suddenly relativizing or defending the practice in this thread. It's hilarious. You guys know who you are.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@Gamerno6666: “ Sony still charges for their barebones online and their monthly free games offering has become incredibly shittier. So I am going with PC.”

Ya the last of us and MLB the show are super shitty games. What a dum dum comment.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@KBFloYd: right on cue, here comes the nintendo apologist

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SBan83
Member since 2019 • 119 Posts

MKT is absolutely the worst, and I uninstalled it within days of installing. FE: Heroes, so far, I've not had the need to pay real money, although I only play once every few days. Best example of doing a Nintendo mobile game was Super Mario Run. Flat down payment and that's it. I still play it daily. Unfortunately, like someone pointed out, mobile gamers hate paying a flat-rate but have no problem paying 5X the amount in microtransactions. Which is why this practice has skyrocketed.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

F2P mobile games; that's the only place where micro-transactions belong. Not sure what's bothering you here, don't touch those abominations. End of story.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts

@sakaixx said:

You're just like an annoying coworker of mine. You can't make up an acronym for something that's already being used for multiple things and then expect people to know what it is.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sakaiXx

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@sakaixx said:

You're just like an annoying coworker of mine. You can't make up an acronym for something that's already being used for multiple things and then expect people to know what it is.

MTX is the term for microtransaction people use in gaming for ages.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sakaiXx

@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:

Well if your reading comprehension is up to snuff you will see that I have already thoroughly answered and derailed your flawed thread. ;)

And yes it absolutely is a part of the topic of this thread, as you chose to include a random unknown game in your original post. /doublewink ;;))

It might be random to you but it still represents nintendo mtx efforts and a succesful one.

Ok then I play to your tune.

Animal crossing game for Wii U & mobile

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

This thread reeks of desperation.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#50 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19664 Posts

@howmakewood: This. Sony's Fate/Grand Order is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to gacha MTX "waifu trash".