Nintendo 3DS XL v.s. Sony PlayStation Vita

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dee-Drumma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dee-Drumma

Poll Nintendo 3DS XL v.s. Sony PlayStation Vita (63 votes)

Nintendo 3DS XL 68%
Sony PlayStation Vita 32%

As of now, any thoughts? I am trying to decide on one.

• 
CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

3DS is top selling hardware for a reason.

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

As a Vita owner, I'm going to have to say 3DS.

The Vita is good if you fancy playing ports, remakes, or classic games. If you want to play 2 year old indie games, dumbed down handheld versions, or PS1/HD remakes, grab a Vita. It does have a few games to call its own, but not as many as the 3DS.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

The 3ds is amazingly over rated in my opinion and the vita trashed just for the fun of it. I own both and would say i use both around 40/60. The vitas integration with the ps4 is really awesome. Plus if u are a psn+ member then owning a vita is amazing value.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

I prefer the Vita and one of the reasons is the screen isn't too reflective for when I want to play at work, but I don't know if the XL one is as reflective as my original 3DS.

The extra power is nice to have too.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

You can't go wrong with either one but I prefer the ps vita.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Don't have a Vita yet so 3DS. But I'd like to get one to see off-screen play and their library. Maybe when Now hits I'll buy one.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

That would be "a shitload of games vs. very few games". I think you can guess what I prefer.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@Consternated: everything this man this said. His words express my thoughts on the Vita completely.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

I can't justify owning two handhelds, so I went with the 3DS this gen. Can't say I regret a thing.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

3DS. Would only recommend the VITA for smallest market:

Novelty - leveraging portable game experiences beyond "simpler mechanics", ends up uncanny and ultra niche.. and Remote Play.

Playstation Plus user (PS3/4 user) - might as well mess with the "free" games and you can be set for X years of dicking with the system and never buying any more software specially if you get a bundle with 4GB card and have a spacious PS3/PC drive to save/transfer game files/data.

Otaku Taste - should be self explanatory.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Easy, go with the 3DS.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

As an owner for both systems i'll have to say diffidently the Vita as it wins in terms of everything for me in terms of design, software, features and games.

The vita is a great system that does everything simply really good! games like Tearaway, killzone, Soul Sacrifice, Persona Golden are fine examples of what the system can do in terms of games so overall i'd say if you like a system with a perfect design, great screen, console like games with console like grapchics, features that rival those of next gen consoles then the Vita is for you and for $200 only its a must buy.

While the 3DS is a good system it fails in a lot of things from the garbage design that is extremely hard to hold sometimes to the terrible UI and system software i mean the friends list and the friends codes systems are pure joke... now in terms of games the 3DS just like the Vita has some solid titles like pokemon X and Y ( X2 and Y2 most likely this year ) and Bravely default this month so overall 3DS is a good system but is not worth buying for more than $150.

ty_lat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 ty_lat
Member since 2009 • 198 Posts

I would buy a vita if the memory cards weren't so high but sony seems to want to keep them high.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I own both, and i would recommend either one. If you have a PS3 or PS4 get the Vita and PS+ without question, if not get the 3DS.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#15 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Consternatedpretty much nailed it. I also own a Vita, I love mine. It has some great games (although I wish there were more) like Soul Sacrifice/Persona 4 Golden, Muramasa,Toukiden, that I enjoy. The hardware & features are great as well.

The 3ds, when directly compared to the Vita, lacks in the features & hardware department, but makes it up with great games. I really want to play Fire Emblem, Phoenix Wright, and Bravely Default. They both are great handhelds honestly, can't really go wrong with either.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I have both. 3DS destroys Vita game by game. It's not even close.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I have both the 3DS and the Vita....it depends on what you like....though 3DS does have more games. I did not opt for the XL though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I own both a 3DS and a Vita.

Now I absolutely love my Vita, it is a beautiful piece of hardware, and it's best games are shockingly good, but the 3DS so thoroughly outclasses it when it comes to sheer quantity of great games, that it is very hard to recommend the Vita over it if you can only buy one handheld.

I'd say the 3DS should be your first choice, but I would still urge you to pick up a Vita later if you have the budget. Really, owning both is the best way to go.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Buy Vita if you want better hardware but go with the 3DS if you want lots of games to play.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

Vita by miles. Japanese support keeps building up. 2014 Vita already has the edge on 3DS in games for me since I follow Japan's release schedule.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

if u have or plan to get a ps4 at some point, ps vita is the way to go

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

@Consternated said:

The Vita is good if you fancy playing ports, remakes, or classic games. If you want to play 2 year old indie games, dumbed down handheld versions, or PS1/HD remakes, grab a Vita. It does have a few games to call its own, but not as many as the 3DS.

Vita has its own games, this guy obviously hasn't played them. Most of the good games on the 3DS are "dumbed down" handheld versions of console franchises i.e. three million Mario games, Zelda games, etc.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
@mrintro said:

@Consternated said:

Vita has its own games, this guy obviously hasn't played them. Most of the good games on the 3DS are "dumbed down" handheld versions of console franchises i.e. three million Mario games, Zelda games, etc.

Nintendo fans tend to use their own special rules for Nintendo products especially when it comes to subjects such as milking, ports and handheld experiences. I've stopped wasting my time arguing with them.

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Consternated
@mrintro said:

@Consternated said:

So, no different to Call of Duty & Killzone then? Other than Tearaway, and P4G (which is little more than a HD remake with a few extras, so just play on a PS2 emulator in HD), the only thing I find myself playing on the Vita is old PS1 games that control better than they do on my PSP.

I don't normally put much faith in metacritic scores, but lets take a look at the highest scoring Vita titles of 2013... http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/vita?view=condensed&sort=desc&year_selected=2013

So, we have... Indie Port, Indie Port, Indie Port, Cross Platform, Vita Exclusive, Cross Platform, Cross Platform, Indie Port, Indie Port.

Compared to the 3DS... Exclusive, Exclusive, Exclusive, Exclusive, iOS port, Exclusive, Exclusive, Exclusive...

It's not even fair. I love Spelunky! Playing it on my PC or TV using Big Picture is great co-op fun, but do I really need to be able to take it everywhere with me? How about Limbo? Highest rated PS Vita game in 2013 - I played it 4 years ago.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#25 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

One of them has games.

The other has tumbleweeds.

Your choice.

Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

I prefer both. They both have great games.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

As someone who owns both...The Vita. Has better games, and there's just so much more you can do with the Vita.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

@Consternated said:
@mrintro said:

@Consternated said:

So, no different to Call of Duty & Killzone then? Other than Tearaway, and P4G (which is little more than a HD remake with a few extras, so just play on a PS2 emulator in HD), the only thing I find myself playing on the Vita is old PS1 games that control better than they do on my PSP.

I don't normally put much faith in metacritic scores, but lets take a look at the highest scoring Vita titles of 2013... http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/vita?view=condensed&sort=desc&year_selected=2013

So, we have... Indie Port, Indie Port, Indie Port, Cross Platform, Vita Exclusive, Cross Platform, Cross Platform, Indie Port, Indie Port.

Compared to the 3DS... Exclusive, Exclusive, Exclusive, Exclusive, iOS port, Exclusive, Exclusive, Exclusive...

It's not even fair. I love Spelunky! Playing it on my PC or TV using Big Picture is great co-op fun, but do I really need to be able to take it everywhere with me? How about Limbo? Highest rated PS Vita game in 2013 - I played it 4 years ago.

First of all, you're comparing a 3 year old system to a 2 year old system...

Secondly, plenty of people would love to play indie games on their Vita, including ones that have been already out. Playing Spelunky and Hotline Miami are much more fun on the Vita. .

Thirdly, multiplats still count. Games like Rayman Origins and Legends are best played on Vita. . Games like Dragon's Crown are awesome on Vita. FFX/FFX-2 will be awesome. Borderlands 2 is coming.

And finally, the Vita has exclusives! Both mainstream developer and indie develop, which is great! Why is that a bad thing?

And if you need more convincing, you can watch this video http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/16/the-top-30-playstation-vita-games-of-2014

**Also can't forget PS4 remote play**

Vita exclusives

Soul Sacrifice

Tearaway

Toukiden (coming in 1 week)

Muramasa Rebirth (like anyone played this on the Wii)

Killzone Mercenary

Ys Memories of Celceta

Gravity Rush

Lumines ES

Unit 13

AC3 Liberation (first released on Vita)

Ragnarok Oddysey

Persona 4 Golden (funny how 3DS fanboys don't complain about Ocarina of time 3D being a port, a much more direct one at that)

Wipeout 2048

[Indie]

Guacamalee!

OlliOlli

Tales from Space Mutant Blobs Attack

Velocity Ultra

[Upcoming]

Freedom Wars

Demon Gaze

Soul Sacrifice Delta

Gravity Rush 2

Persona 4 Dancing All Night

Monster Hunter Title

Borderlands 2

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD

God of War HD Collection

-------------------------------

Awesome multiplats (present and future)

Rayman Legends

Rayman Origins

Dragon's Crown

Spleunky

Hotline Miami/Hotline Miami 2

Retro City Rampage

Mighty Number 9

Super Stardust Delta

Sine Mora

MLB 13

PS All Stars

Disgaea 3/Disgaea 4

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Injustice

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

As an owner for both systems i'll have to say diffidently the Vita as it wins in terms of everything for me in terms of design, software, features and games.

The vita is a great system that does everything simply really good! games like Tearaway, killzone, Soul Sacrifice, Persona Golden are fine examples of what the system can do in terms of games so overall i'd say if you like a system with a perfect design, great screen, console like games with console like grapchics, features that rival those of next gen consoles then the Vita is for you and for $200 only its a must buy.

While the 3DS is a good system it fails in a lot of things from the garbage design that is extremely hard to hold sometimes to the terrible UI and system software i mean the friends list and the friends codes systems are pure joke... now in terms of games the 3DS just like the Vita has some solid titles like pokemon X and Y ( X2 and Y2 most likely this year ) and Bravely default this month so overall 3DS is a good system but is not worth buying for more than $150.

It kind of depends on what you are playing on the Vita. It's comfortable if you don't have to worry about the back touch pad. I really wish it didn't have that pad, though. I can never get it to work right when I have to use it, and it registers all the time when I'm just holding the Vita normally.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

3DS actually has a future.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

If I was given one as a gift i would get the Vita

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

i choose the Vita since its the only handheld system that lets me play MK9, UMVC3, Alpha 3, injustice and many more fighting games on the go.

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Consternated

@mrintro said:

@Consternated said:
@mrintro said:

@Consternated said:

First of all, you're comparing a 3 year old system to a 2 year old system...Valid point.

Secondly, plenty of people would love to play indie games on their Vita, including ones that have been already out. Playing Spelunky and Hotline Miami are much more fun on the Vita. .I just play Spelunky for the Daily Challenge. The Vita offers me nothing in that respect. Also, playing Hotline Miami with the lttie sticks was annoying.

Thirdly, multiplats still count. Games like Rayman Origins and Legends are best played on Vita. . Games like Dragon's Crown are awesome on Vita. FFX/FFX-2 will be awesome. Borderlands 2 is coming. Why are multiplats best played on a qHD 5" screen? Why not on my QHD monitor, or 50" LED TV? FFX signified the end for the franchise, and Borderlands bored me on PC.

And finally, the Vita has exclusives! Both mainstream developer and indie develop, which is great! Why is that a bad thing? It's not a bad thing, but when it's indie games I've already played... I'm just not too interested.

And if you need more convincing, you can watch this video http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/16/the-top-30-playstation-vita-games-of-2014

**Also can't forget PS4 remote play** Might be appealing when/if I get a PS4.

Vita exclusives

Soul Sacrifice

Tearaway

Toukiden (coming in 1 week)

Muramasa Rebirth (like anyone played this on the Wii)

Killzone Mercenary

Ys Memories of Celceta

Gravity Rush

Lumines ES

Unit 13

AC3 Liberation (first released on Vita)

Ragnarok Oddysey

Persona 4 Golden (funny how 3DS fanboys don't complain about Ocarina of time 3D being a port, a much more direct one at that)

Wipeout 2048

[Indie]

Guacamalee!

OlliOlli

Tales from Space Mutant Blobs Attack

Velocity Ultra

[Upcoming]

Freedom Wars

Demon Gaze

Soul Sacrifice Delta

Gravity Rush 2

Persona 4 Dancing All Night

Monster Hunter Title

Borderlands 2

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD

God of War HD Collection

-------------------------------

Awesome multiplats (present and future)

Rayman Legends

Rayman Origins

Dragon's Crown

Spleunky

Hotline Miami/Hotline Miami 2

Retro City Rampage

Mighty Number 9

Super Stardust Delta

Sine Mora

MLB 13

PS All Stars

Disgaea 3/Disgaea 4

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Injustice

My replies are bolded. Tearaway has me interested, but that really is about it exclusives wise... I'm really not buying that games like Rayman are better on the Vita, so that's not really a valid reason for me (although I can see why it would be for some people.

@FinalFighters said:

i choose the Vita since its the only handheld system that lets me play MK9, UMVC3, Alpha 3, injustice and many more fighting games on the go.

Like this dude. If you really love your fighting games, being able to take console-quality versions on the go is an awesome, awesome thing. For me, I'd much rather have games that can't be found anywhere else. I'll get Tearaway eventually, but for now...

I've followed my own advice, and ordered a Zelda edition 3DS XL, Pokemon X, Fire Emblem, and a 32GB SDHC memory card. Pumped!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Figure out which one has the games you want