Nier Automata yes I'm going to do an 'is it just me?' post.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Coming soon for PC and PS4 it's a game I was really interested in as I liked the first one a lot.

Expectations for this one weren't high at all really, I just want it to be good. So I jump on every new bit of information, videos and interviews and previews etc and all I see is a really action combat heavy game with sub-standard graphics (seriously, go check out some trailers for yourself or some of the many gameplay videos on youtube), enemies that all look pretty much the same - slight variations on the same stupid robot, and a gameworld that looks really bland and completely devoid of any interesting features.

So yeah, is it just me that thinks this game looks shit?

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

Enjoyed the first, I'll enjoy this one.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

It can't be any worse than the first. The first game's story was the saving grace, and the gameplay will likely be the saving grace of Automata.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I thought the aesthetic simplicity of the first game made it incredibly unique and beautiful. In combination with the soundtrack, it was one of the nicest game worlds I've adventured around in in quite some time. It was very similar to Shadow of the Colossus, drab, washed-out but still bright and hopeful. Sometimes less is more, and I'm greatly looking forward to this.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blueinheaven

@foxhound_fox said:

I thought the aesthetic simplicity of the first game made it incredibly unique and beautiful. In combination with the soundtrack, it was one of the nicest game worlds I've adventured around in in quite some time. It was very similar to Shadow of the Colossus, drab, washed-out but still bright and hopeful. Sometimes less is more, and I'm greatly looking forward to this.

Yeah the minimalist approach can often work well but I'm not getting that from what I've seen so far of this game. It seems to be completely reliant on relentless action combat. It doesn't look like a design decision, it looks like 'this is all we've got'.

I know the game hasn't released yet but it's only a week or two away. If there are any elements to the gameworld or enemy variety that might prove me wrong they are keeping it to themselves. There's a thin line between 'engagingly atmospheric' and 'plain dull'.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

Coming soon for PC and PS4 it's a game I was really interested in as I liked the first one a lot.

Expectations for this one weren't high at all really, I just want it to be good. So I jump on every new bit of information, videos and interviews and previews etc and all I see is a really action combat heavy game with sub-standard graphics (seriously, go check out some trailers for yourself or some of the many gameplay videos on youtube), enemies that all look pretty much the same - slight variations on the same stupid robot, and a gameworld that looks really bland and completely devoid of any interesting features.

Graphically it is not impressive, stylistically its pretty awesome.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#7 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I wouldn't say I think it looks complete shit. But from the demo I got: decent sword attacks, but I've played much better; dirty rusty R2D2 wannabe enemies couldn't be less interesting; boss battles against giant spinning machinery cogs that are not as fun as MGR battles against giant robots. It just didn't work for me. I hope others that are really hyped for it enjoy it thoroughly. I think its pure meh.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blueinheaven

@spitfire-six said:
@blueinheaven said:

Graphically it is not impressive, stylistically its pretty awesome.

Admittedly the central characters look really cool, everything around them looks just awful though. I'm not looking for cutting edge here just some variety in scenery and enemies would have been a start lol.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

1) 60fps and the game looks good, it just looks like it isn't super colorful cuz it's supposed to be bleak.

2) Enemy designs are unique, not sure what the hell you're talking about. Not to mention the bullet hell involved in them.

3) The world doesn't look bland, the world looks post apocalyptic more or less.

The game also looks like it has the best gameplay in a video game in years, and then you throw in the diversity of combat from 2d to overhead action game to regular hack and slash and then bullet hell and all that.

It's just you, the game looks exceptional.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Mehh the only reason this game ever Got any hype is cause it isnt on Xbox....

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#11 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9735 Posts

Here is footage of the game.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/124318892

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I played the demo on ps4 and thought it looked atrocious. Totally forgot the game is on pc as well. If i get it the game, it'll be after ME4, and on pc. Hopefully there's some mods cuz those ps2 level textures were eyes melting.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@djoffer said:

no good games are anyways.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts
@djoffer said:

I know the Xbox gamer persecution complex is all the rage right now, but...

1. It's a Platinum game, the action looks good, and the demo was pretty fun.

2. The first game has a small, but dedicated cult following and many of those fans are looking forward to this sequel.

3. It's honestly not even getting that much hype.

Of course there are some Playstation fanboys propping this game up and using it for their list wars. And yeah if it scores well they'll be rubbing your nose in it. This is what fanboys do.

But no, the game skipping the Xbox certainly isn't the "only reason" there is interest.

---

As for the topic, the only off-putting aspect to me is that damn enemy variety. Looks way too samey no matter the genre. Technical graphics are a bit shit too, but not a deal breaker for me by any means.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Playing Nier right now, and I'm some what surprised a game this sloppy and genuinely poor has a cult following. Pure gameplay is concerned, I had way more fun with Nier 2's demo. But that was already a given, Platinum's way better at game mecahnics. For a story that is supposed to be neat and all, I'll agree that Yoko Taro does stuff that subvert your expectations, but he doesn't exactly tell a coherent or consistently compelling story. A lot of it is half-baked ideas that come with a whopping side of anime bullshit.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

i liked the demo but not enough to pay $60 for it especially considering it's criminally short run time

Besides the pc version was delayed.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ConanTheStoner

@jg4xchamp:

I tried watching/listening to a breakdown of the story while working the other day, but checked out about half way through.

From what I could gather though, this Yoko dude should be good friends with Kojima.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jg4xchamp

@ConanTheStoner said:

@jg4xchamp:

I tried watching/listening to a breakdown of the story while working the other day, but checked out about half way through.

From what I could gather though, this Yoko dude should be good friends with Kojima.

Or you, given your plant of choice.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner

lmao. Haven't smoked in a while bro, too busy between work and getting set up at my new place. Maybe I should give the story breakdown another spin when I'm back to "normal".

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jg4xchamp

@ConanTheStoner said:

lmao. Haven't smoked in a while bro, too busy between work and getting set up at my new place. Maybe I should give the story breakdown another spin when I'm back to "normal".

You should, it would probably work. There is no way that Yoko Taro dude isn't on something 24/7, his interviews are fucking great. He's like thanks to Platinum all he does is just sit there and tell them what he wants in the game, while he drinks. Because he develops better while he's drunk lol

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ConanTheStoner

@jg4xchamp:

Sounds like a good mix, Platinum seems to like bat-shit-crazy as well. Alternate dimension dragon baby spider clone chick-dudes? They're like "yeah we can totally work with that bruh."

Part of me just wants to trudge through the first Nier. I'm sure the game presents its shit better than a Youtube breakdown could. But even fans admit it plays like garbage. How long is it?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jg4xchamp

@ConanTheStoner said:

@jg4xchamp:

Sounds like a good mix, Platinum seems to like bat-shit-crazy as well. Alternate dimension dragon baby spider clone chick-dudes? They're like "yeah we can totally work with that bruh."

Part of me just wants to trudge through the first Nier. I'm sure the game presents its shit better than a Youtube breakdown could. But even fans admit it plays like garbage. How long is it?

20 hours according to HLTB, but it feels like a fucking eternity. I fucking hate the game. Oh and if you want the proper or full ending, you gotta do NG+, like dude, your game isn't even good enough on one playthrough, why the **** would I want to do multiple playthroughs?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ConanTheStoner
@ShepardCommandr said:

i liked the demo but not enough to pay $60 for it especially considering it's criminally short run time

How long is it supposed to be? I figured they'd bloat it out since it's supposed to be an RPG. I'd actually be relieved if this ends up being a shorter game, don't like action heavy games that overstay their welcome with recycled content.

@ShepardCommandr said:

3 days, not a big deal lol.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp

@ConanTheStoner said:
@ShepardCommandr said:

How long is it supposed to be? I figured they'd bloat it out since it's supposed to be an RPG. I'd actually be relieved if this ends up being a shorter game, don't like action heavy games that overstay their welcome with recycled content.

@ShepardCommandr said:

3 days, not a big deal lol.

Some people have gaf have run through the game in less than 10 hours, but the games hook is multiple ending paths so I don't know. Apparently all the enemies are robots, and it's better than the enemy variation than say Nier 1, but not nearly as varied as what Bayonetta has to offer enemy wise.

Which is whatever, to be fair, I knew we weren't getting anything as good as Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101 when I tried the demo. But maybe something up to snuff with Revengeance if the bosses are killer.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ConanTheStoner
@jg4xchamp said:

20 hours according to HLTB, but it feels like a fucking eternity. I fucking hate the game. Oh and if you want the proper or full ending, you gotta do NG+, like dude, your game isn't even good enough on one playthrough, why the **** would I want to do multiple playthroughs?

Ah yeah, cancel on that then, Youtube will have to do. Already listened to the OST on Youtube which is supposed to be one of the best aspects of the game from what I hear.

Too many other games on the plate for 20+ hours of "meh".

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

Looks pretty bland. But it's a Platinum game, right? Bland games with lots of action is their speciality.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jg4xchamp

@ConanTheStoner said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Ah yeah, cancel on that then, Youtube will have to do. Already listened to the OST on Youtube which is supposed to be one of the best aspects of the game from what I hear.

The soundtrack is absurdly good. I "joked" the other day in the lounge, Nier's soundtrack is on the same tier as Halo's soundtrack. Neither campaign is close to being worthy of that fucking music lol

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@jg4xchamp:

Dope soundtracks being layered over undeserving games is like a Square Enix trademark, so I'm not surprised lol.

But yeah, glad to hear some peeps are clearing it in 10 hours honestly. For a good action game, 10-15 hours seems to be the sweet spot. And I'll usually take much longer than the average on my first run.

Nioh is gigantic, I'm sure Zelda will be too, I could go for a less monstrous game after those.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@ConanTheStoner said:
@jg4xchamp said:

The soundtrack is absurdly good. I "joked" the other day in the lounge, Nier's soundtrack is on the same tier as Halo's soundtrack. Neither campaign is close to being worthy of that fucking music lol

I really enjoyed the demo and I was looking forward to the game but everything you said about the game has put me right off and is the graphics really that bad and I assume there is isn't much variety when it comes to enimies then? do you think I should wait until the game is in the bargain bin before I pick it up or should I bite the bullet and pick it up right now lol.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ConanTheStoner

@sukraj:

Talking about Nier 1 bro.

Nier 2 should (hopefully) be a different story. At the very least we know it plays well.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sukraj

@ConanTheStoner said:

@sukraj:

Talking about Nier 1 bro.

Nier 2 should (hopefully) be a different story. At the very least we know it plays well.

yeah from what I played of the demo the gamplay looks pretty solid bro but it's just a shame about those graphics lol.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ConanTheStoner

@sukraj:

Yeah, graphics are pretty rough, but if it's a fun game then I'm cool with it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sukraj

@ConanTheStoner said:

@sukraj:

Yeah, graphics are pretty rough, but if it's a fun game then I'm cool with it.

Thats cool bro i'll more than likely pick it up too next week

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jg4xchamp

@sukraj said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@ConanTheStoner said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I really enjoyed the demo and I was looking forward to the game but everything you said about the game has put me right off and is the graphics really that bad and I assume there is isn't much variety when it comes to enimies then? do you think I should wait until the game is in the bargain bin before I pick it up or should I bite the bullet and pick it up right now lol.

I'm talking about Nier 1 though, different studio, bum ass game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jg4xchamp
Loading Video...

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blueinheaven

@jg4xchamp Just watched that video, thanks. Man it looks bad. The gameplay might be good of course but it looks like a 10 dollar indie title not the AAA I think everyone was expecting.

People who jumped on me when I suggested Scalebound got canned because Platinum only know how to make one kind of game and it isn't an RPG might want to take a look at Automata.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Never played the first one, the art style looks pretty cool though I must admit.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jg4xchamp

@blueinheaven said:

@jg4xchamp Just watched that video, thanks. Man it looks bad. The gameplay might be good of course but it looks like a 10 dollar indie title not the AAA I think everyone was expecting.

People who jumped on me when I suggested Scalebound got canned because Platinum only know how to make one kind of game and it isn't an RPG might want to take a look at Automata.

Eh, except the stuff they were showing for Scalebound was barely anything that was traditional Platinum, ditto the customization stuff they showed behind screen, and again it's the team that made Okami, with the same director. More to it, everything they've shown about Nier Automata, is everything that was already a thing about the original Nier, except being done better on the gameplay front.

As far as it not looking up to snuff with most triple A, I'll agree if the expectation was Square was going to put a ton of money behind a Yoko Taro joint, but Drakengard and Nier were never big productions, and this doesn't seem like it is either for pretty obvious commercial reasons. Platinum just decided to focus on fluidity and play over the texture of a tree, personally I'd rather take that, but sure it's not exactly a looker. And it's been pretty well documented that Platinum's primary work was on mechanics, but all the major creative decisions were still Taro, and even stuff they've shown between the constant revolving of different gameplay styles, that's been his thing since Drakengard, in fact that's the one thing that almost makes Nier tolerable to play. It's that mixes it up so much, you aren't stuck being bored with that lame ass combat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I dont care about the story or the world on my Hack'n'slash games. I care about gameplay and judging from the demo its going to be FUNTASTIC

Finally a great Hack'n'Slash this current gen (outside of Bayonetta 2 wich I cant play). HnS as a genre is dying so I'm happy to see a proper one being released

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jg4xchamp

@Vatusus: Wouldn't expect it to be up to snuff with Plats better stuff mechanically. It's still fundamentally going to have RPG elements to offset being a pure action game. I expect the balance to be way off like it is in Transformers Devestation; but overall better pacing and variation than that game.