Next-Generation Lacklustered?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

I'm very curious about the "next-generation" hardware. I noticed that in the past when gamers took a leap to a new console things were much more significant. I remember just being in awe after putting my Sega Genesis down after getting my first taste of the Playstation. Hell, even the Playstation 2 was great(DVD FTW). And then even the transition from the Xbox to the Xbox 360.

But is hardware becoming that much more expensive for the consumer console market? I was reading an article which is under the "What's Hot" section of the Gamespot website. Xbox World is going to reveal next-gen details about the new Xbox in their next issue:

The magazine's editor reportedly told the site that the next-generation Xbox will most likely be called "Xbox" instead of "Xbox 720", and will ship with 8GB of RAM and a quad-core processor.

Other details about the new console that will reportedly be revealed by Xbox World include Kinect 2.0, Blu-ray discs, directional audio, a TV output and input, an "innovative" controller, and the possibility of augmented-reality (AR) glasses to be used at a later stage in the new console's life.

Who knows what kind of technology they're using or even if the new Xbox is sporting a quad-core processor. Is hardware going to be underwhelming for the console market requiring developers to be more familiar with the tricks of the trade? With the Wii U launching that seems like the case, and this little "tidbit" about Microsoft's new console seems lackluster. And who knows what's in store for the next Sony console. :?

Affordability over power? Let's debate. :)

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

While it's no doubt that the next Xbox & the next PS consoles will be more powerful than the Wii U, don't expect another PS2 to PS3, & Xbox to Xbox 360 graphics & power leap.

Otherwise, you're in for a huge disappointment.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Starting off that way with the Wiiu.
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

I hope they don't seriously consider charging $70 for a game.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Wait, are you saying that a quad-core CPU and 8GB of memory are lackluster?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

I hope they don't seriously consider charging $70 for a game.

lild1425

No they'll charge 60 and cut out 10 bucks worth of content and sell it as day one DLC, much better;)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44144 Posts

Just like what Nintendo said about the Wii; it's not next gen but rather, new gen. :o

Anyhoo, I'm betting the New X > 360 about the same that wast, 360 > Xbox which for how long this gen was, I think it should be more but eh, WTH, it'l need to do. :P

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

I think lot of the rumours are nonsense. I really doubt Microsoft will have a tablet controlller, AR glasses and kinect. The support for each device would be terrible, as devs will have to choose to support one most likely, and most won't bother.

I think Microsoft will go for a decent system, similar in price to what the 360 was at launch, or maybe a bit more and also have that contract option they currently have for those that don't want to pay upfront. Then have Kinect 2 ready at launch, with an ordinary model including a controller (similar to 360 controller) and a premium bundle with Kinect 2 in it (or an alternative smaller HDD + Kinect bundle). I think they will stick with smart glass, for tablet/phone features. That should allow for a noticeable step up in quality and have kinect for those that want it.

Sony will probably go down a similar route to MS, focusing on media as well as a decent system for gaming.

Meeeper282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Meeeper282
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

Just like what Nintendo said about the Wii; it's not next gen but rather, new gen. :o

Anyhoo, I'm betting the New X > 360 about the same that wast, 360 > Xbox which for how long this gen was, I think it should be more but eh, WTH, it'l need to do. :P

SecretPolice

Nobody cares about the lame xbox anyways, it will never come first like always and it will break down constantly within it's first few years

WiiU BABY!

Jamani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jamani
Member since 2004 • 1782 Posts
It will be the same but just better hardware...
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44144 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Meeeper282

Nobody cares about the lame xbox anyways, it will never come first like always and it will break down constantly within it's first few years

WiiU BABY!

Good, good, let the bu... eh, you know the rest all too well. :P

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

SecretPolice

WiiU BABY!

Good, good, let the bu... eh, you know the rest all too well. :P

The WiiS3U is certainly doing well with the inferior multiplats and lazy devs. JUST WAIT!
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9868 Posts

I think hardware will take a pretty significant leap. I mean you can get a PC that is like what 16 times more powerful for a reasonable price. If the consoles improves by say a factor ten that will obv have a huge impact on what you can do with them. But it's perhaps more interesting to see what they will do with peripherals. I think Sonys idea of using Vita as their touchscreen controller makes a lot of sense. I def expect more on that front. Move I'm not so sure about. Kind of lacks an identity imo (it's a shameless rip-off tbh). On the other hand Sony is def going after the Nintendo consumers so maybe they will push it more next gen.

Kinect is kind of in limbo. Since no other consoles has this technology third part developers won't use it as a core feature in their biggest franchises. And MS isn't that interested in making first party games for it either. But I think it's by far the most interesting motion control device and I'm very curious what will happen to it. If 2.0 has much better precision maybe we will finally see some really cool mindbending uses.

I'm really hoping VR will take off next gen. Oculus Rift will likely launch next year, hopefuly it will do well. Then we have all the projects Valve are rumored to be working on. Let's hope they can find a cool replacement for the keyboard ;). In summary: the future is not lackluster, it is awesome :D!!!!!

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts
[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

I think hardware will take a pretty significant leap. I mean you can get a PC that is like what 16 times more powerful for a reasonable price. If the consoles improves by say a factor ten that will obv have a huge impact on what you can do with them. But it's perhaps more interesting to see what they will do with peripherals. I think Sonys idea of using Vita as their touchscreen controller makes a lot of sense. I def expect more on that front. Move I'm not so sure about. Kind of lacks an identity imo (it's a shameless rip-off tbh). On the other hand Sony is def going after the Nintendo consumers so maybe they will push it more next gen.

Kinect is kind of in limbo. Since no other consoles has this technology third part developers won't use it as a core feature in their biggest franchises. And MS isn't that interested in making first party games for it either. But I think it's by far the most interesting motion control device and I'm very curious what will happen to it. If 2.0 has much better precision maybe we will finally see some really cool mindbending uses.

I'm really hoping VR will take off next gen. Oculus Rift will likely launch next year, hopefuly it will do well. Then we have all the projects Valve are rumored to be working on. Let's hope they can find a cool replacement for the keyboard ;). In summary: the future is not lackluster, it is awesome :D!!!!!

Nicely said
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

The Wii U is more powerful than the PS3/360...

The PS4/New Xbox will be more powerful than the Wii U...

Don't expect a huge jump in either category. However, graphics do get far better over time on Consoles as developers unlock newer and better ways of doing things. So you will always have something to look forward to. Regardless of raw power, you can do alot more with a Console with just it's standard and unchanging specs.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

If those leaks about quad-core CPU and 8GB Ram (which is 16 times more ram than 360 and PS3) are real, i would say it's a hell of a technical jump! Probably due to the fact that this gen has been longer than previous ones.

-CC-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -CC-
Member since 2006 • 2048 Posts

The Wii U is more powerful than the PS3/360...

Puckhog04

How can you be sure? Some of the best hardware guys are tearing apart the thing now. All we know really is the RAM is WAY slower than the PS360 and the CPU is tiny.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#18 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

In this economy I don't think we will see any big mega power houses on the market. I doubt we will get a big jump like we did from last gen to this gen (will you know what I mean).

We also don't know much about other systems, but the thing that bothers me is their are rumors the next Xbox won't play used games, and the Wii U is ID locked to one console, we don't know anything about PS4 but even that could go the same route.

It seems the days of consumer freedom are coming to an end. DRM is indeed the future.

-CC-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -CC-

but the thing that bothers me is their are rumors the next Xbox won't play used games, and the Wii U is ID locked to one console, we don't know anything about PS4 but even that could go the same route.

It seems the days of consumer freedom are coming to an end. DRM is indeed the future.

ShadowMoses900

If MS goes no used games 99% sure Sony will also. MS, Sony and all the Devs hate used games.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

but the thing that bothers me is their are rumors the next Xbox won't play used games, and the Wii U is ID locked to one console, we don't know anything about PS4 but even that could go the same route.

-CC-

If MS goes no used games 99% sure Sony will also. MS, Sony and all the Devs hate used games.

It remains to be seen, but here is the thing, if one chooses not to do it (Nintendo) that will attract consumers to that platform. What people fail to realize is that the used game market makes up a very large portion of the industry. A good number of people do not buy their games at 60$, they either get them used or wait for a price drop.

Analysis: 49 Million US Gamers Buy Used Games - Gamasutra

So while it may piss somed devs and publishers off, it would be in Sony, MS, and Nintendo's best interest to not block out used games. The system that chooses not to do this will be the most successful.

TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts

8GB of RAM? and a Quad-Core Processor?...that's it? ..If so, I wholeheartedly agree. I really hope this turns out to be false. It's definitely underwhelming.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

[QUOTE="-CC-"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

It remains to be seen, but here is the thing, if one chooses not to do it (Nintendo) that will attract consumers to that platform. What people fail to realize is that the used game market makes up a very large portion of the industry. A good number of people do not buy their games at 60$, they either get them used or wait for a price drop.

So while it may piss somed devs and publishers off, it would be in Sony, MS, and Nintendo's best interest to not block out used games. The system that chooses not to do this will be the most successful.

I agree with this sentiment. There's not a single chance that I will purchase a new console that doesn't allow used games. I could give two sh*ts what any dev or publisher thinks about the situation and their poor wallets. My wallet comes first and foremost!

-CC-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -CC-

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="-CC-"]

jer_1

I agree with this sentiment. There's not a single chance that I will purchase a new console that doesn't allow used games. I could give two sh*ts what any dev or publisher thinks about the situation and their poor wallets. My wallet comes first and foremost!

Not saying I want no used games. I would say a full 50% of my games are used but...I just would not be shocked if it happened. If both Sony and MS go that way and the only way to play the next gen games is on one of those then its either pay and play or dont. Would not suprise me if some of the biggest devs behind closed doors have already told them "if you want our games next gen then no used". Really really hope its not true.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

-CC-

Not saying I want no used games. I would say a full 50% of my games are used but...I just would not be shocked if it happened. If both Sony and MS go that way and the only way to play the next gen games is on one of those then its either pay and play or dont. Would not suprise me if some of the biggest devs behind closed doors have already told them "if you want our games next gen then no used". Really really hope its not true.

We already have one "next gen" system out that DOES allow used games. If Sony and M$ want to be stubborn douchebags about taking away my right to play a game then I'll gladly jump ship yet again. To me the console is a bit less important since I primarily use my PC for games, though that could change in the future of course.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

-CC-

Ya me too, I hope it's not true. I don't buy used games very much, I usually just wait until a price drop and pick it up then. They go down pretty damn fast unless it's something like COD or Halo.

The thing is that publishers are lying, they are saying they arn't getting any money, bull sh!t. Games are over priced as they are, they cost the same amount to produce as Hollywood block busters, but movies only cost around 20-30 bucks depending on whether or not it's Blu Ray.

I see no reason for games to cost as much as they do now, they should all be priced around the same as movies. $40 at the most.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

8GB of RAM? and a Quad-Core Processor?...that's it? ..If so, I wholeheartedly agree. I really hope this turns out to be false. It's definitely underwhelming.

TecmoGirl
Sweet sig!
TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TecmoGirl

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

freedomfreak

Sweet sig!

Thnx! Glad ya think so! = )

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#28 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

TecmoGirl

Oh yeah 16 times the ram will be so underwhelming lol

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GamerwillzPS

This is why consolites should leave hardware discussions to the hermits. Clueless people are clueless.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

8GB ram is huge for consoles, if anything this is an extremely overpowerd console indication

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
I'm expecting the PS4 and new xbox to have hardware similar to the WiiU. But it doesn't really matter to me anyway since PC is my one and only gaming platform.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

If those leaks about quad-core CPU and 8GB Ram (which is 16 times more ram than 360 and PS3) are real, i would say it's a hell of a technical jump! Probably due to the fact that this gen has been longer than previous ones.

PAL360

16x is the standard per gen (since snes), if this gen was going to go like normal (they'd be late), the consoles should have 32x more ram (which I don't think could happen, vram increases have slowed on desktop, and we buy much less (making it seem cheap), looks like RAM is having diminishing returns).

*128kb(snes), *2mb(psx), 4mb(n64-late), *32mb(ps2), 64mb(xbox-late), *512(360-early).

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GamerwillzPS

8GB ram is huge for consoles, if anything this is an extremely overpowerd console indication

loosingENDS

Exactly. We're talking about my PC here which has a quad-core and 8GB of RAM! Some people in this thread said that it's "underwhelming". :|

My god, some people are clueless. They shouldn't talk about something they know nothing about.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

Analysis: 49 Million US Gamers Buy Used Games- Gamasutra

So while it may piss somed devs and publishers off, it would be in Sony, MS, and Nintendo's best interest to not block out used games. The system that chooses not to do this will be the most successful.ShadowMoses900

This. MS or Sony would be committing suicide in the gaming industry if they go with the "No used games" route for their next gen consoles.

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

Sweet sig!TecmoGirl

Thnx! Glad ya think so! = )

I also happen to agree with freedomfreak here. You do have a great sig. ;)

TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TecmoGirl

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

GamerwillzPS

Exactly. We're talking about my PC here which has a quad-core and 8GB of RAM! Some people in this thread said that it's "underwhelming". :|

My god, some people are clueless. They shouldn't talk about something they know nothing about.

1ksb2.gif

I also happen to agree with Freedomfreak here. You do have a great sig.wink.gif

= ) Thnx Shino! <3